Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Interesting New Game On The Horizon

3K views 23 replies 4 participants last post by  Chimaera 
#1 ·
#4 ·
#6 · (Edited)
I know where you are coming from SC. Sometimes a game can be too clever for it's own good. Lets hope this one doesn't disappoint.

One bit of cleverness it does have which I didn't pick up on at first is the terrain system will be like Tetris, which I assume means you can make as big or small a map as you want and as varied as you want within the limitations of the tiles provided. I like the sound of this.

The tiles also seem to have game mechanics marked on them which I assume the characters interact with and this may be the reason for the busy cards. I would rather have a busy card than a load of extra reference sheets and aids or tablet sized character sheets.

I am starting to have a joygasm :grin: with the potential this game may have.

#7 ·
#10 · (Edited)
Red, at least from the fluff in the newsletter it sounds like they have thought about it and it will have good background fluff. I do like those minis. Although I would love them pre-painted, I would still be happy if they were plain so long as the game got to market. It seems like a lot of companies coming out with new games are ditching their pre-paints at the moment.

Yup just checked it myself and it no longer works. I am assuming they may be loading some more info on Earth Reborn? Hopefully it will be back up soon.

Edit - It's back up!

Some more fluff for the fluff gods.

http://www.zmangames.com/artwork/Newsletter_Issue%2017.pdf

http://www.zmangames.com/artwork/Newsletter_Issue%2018.pdf

#11 ·
I don't mind so much if they are not pre-painted. Whilst it's a handy thing, I quite enjoy the painting of minis so it's not a major bother. Although I have plenty to be getting on with and don't really need more :p

Some more nice reads there. Definitely one to keep an eye on.

As for the cards, I'd have to agree with Stella that they look very packed. So hopefully it's easy enough to get your head round.

#12 ·
I get where you ans SC are coming from RC regarding the cards being a little busy. With this said I reckon I could guess 50% of the card info already. Top left are the defence, health and movement stats. Below them are the close combat stats relating to the facing on the base. To the right the pistol represents ranged stat and below that I would guess the characters science, mechanical and search stats. I am unsure what the bottle stands for and the stats lower left and at the bottom but I am sure I could get my head around them once I see the rules.

One good thing about BoardGameGeek is the designers/publishers come on every so often and answer questions. Apparently Z-Man is away until the 26th so hopefully we will be able to lobby him for more info on his return?

#13 ·
I like it when the people involved in developing the game go online to answer questions etc. It's where GW go wrong in my opinion, but with their fan base how can they possibly keep up with the demand if they were to do such a thing.

Avatars of War used their forums to hold huge discussions when they were in progress of developing their game (Arena Deathmatch) and then took suggestions and later let a few people in for playtesting (myself as one of them).

If this company were to do that they'd be onto a winner. It get's things corrected much quicker and means you can focus on what your fan base wants to see.

#14 ·
To true RC. How many games could have been saved or made so much better if they got gamers to thoroughly play test them before they released the product. Tannhauser springs to mind on this one. Great production values, minis etc but flawed system. FFG improved it slightly in their V2 rules release but I don't think they went far enough and should of done a complete overhaul including ditching the PFS system.

By the way! I noticed Earth Reborn entered BGG "THE HOTNESS" list in the last few days and has shot all the way up to number 7 out 50. Seems like the impending release and the word spreading has started to draw interest. Lets hope it delivers?

#15 · (Edited)
If anyone here is going to Gencon & is interested in this game? The publisher has announced the info below.

TheDarkKnight wrote:
Hey Zev!

How much of the game can we expect to see at GenCon? Will there be really brief demos or more involved ones?
It depends on what assets I am sent in time for the show. I am hoping to have everything needed to do at least the first scenario - which should be enough eye candy.

But even if I get assets to more scenarios, we might just demo using the first scenario and then explain what else you get with the game.

Zev Shlasinger, President
Z-Man Games, Inc.
If anyone does check out the game? Let us know your thoughts.

#16 ·
Well reading some of the feedback on BGG it would appear that Earth Reborn missed the Gencon boat and didn't have all the stuff ready to fully launch it. The designer Chris has become very active on BGG which is always nice, even to the point he made a late amendment to the game on a forum member's suggestion. Anyway! It doesn't sound like the delay will be too long as the designer has stated it will definitely be out for Christmas.

Just on another note. Dust Tactics seems to have launched very well and they even previewed the minis from the next expansion at gencon, unheard of :) I think DT could well take a large chunk out of other games markets if it keeps on it's current roll. It's still early days and there isn't many reviews as of yet, but still a few which are mainly glowing, but they would be LOL.

#17 ·
#18 · (Edited)
As for Dust Tactics it's not too high on my list of games to try out and possibly start yet, but I'll certainly look into it when I've got a chance. Although it'd be handy if you were able to put up your thoughts on the game and how it plays etc. if you have played it yet? It's always helpful to see how fellow hobbyists view a system.

And as for Earth Reborn, have they released any release dates at all yet or is it all still very WIP?

#19 ·
Sorry for the delay in response Red, just got back form a few days away.

I haven't played it yet but I will purchase it on UK release and post my thoughts. I have picked up a few of the comics in the meantime and they are quite a fun read and the early ones on the erotic side.

To my understanding Earth Reborn is in the final stages and expected to be released end of September but I am thinking it will more likely be at the end of October as reading between the lines they made a few late tweaks.

Cheers.

Chim

#21 ·
#23 · (Edited)
Well it looks like ER will be with us within 2 weeks. Just in case anyone is interested? They have also launched their own independent forum. It's hard not to like the hype and I hope ER is a winner otherwise I will kick myself for passing up on Dust Tactics as my Christmas purchase. Something tells me ER will be the better buy though.

http://forum.earthreborn.ludically.com/index.php

http://earthreborn.ludically.com/home

#24 ·
Well got the game through & I have to say I am very pleased with the contents. There is a stack of stuff included and the minis are very nice. Check out the Earth Reborn forum link in the post above to see unboxing pic's etc if your interested. I just need to digest the rules now and get a game in against a mate although I will probably do a solo run first to work it all out in advance. While the rules can run from basic to very complex. The great thing about the missions book is it runs you through missions adding new rules along the way until you hit the complex level. I am quite hopeful for this game and boardgamegeek would suggest it is getting a good reception from feedback & comments left.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.