Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ive been looking at Warmachine for a little bit now and it looks really good. I'd like to start playing it but im unsure of a few things.

Where can I buy the models for it?, I don't know any PrivateerPress stores so I wouldn't know where to buy these from.

How much would it cost to start a army?, depending on how much it is I may start playing much sooner.

What faction is best for a new player?. I like Cryx but they seem very advanced, the Protectorate of Menoth looks good as well.

Where would I be able to play this?, are there stores that host games and tournaments?

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
Hey ive been looking at Warmachine for a little bit now and it looks really good. I'd like to start playing it but im unsure of a few things.

Where can I buy the models for it?, I don't know any PrivateerPress stores so I wouldn't know where to buy these from.

Ebay or the Privateer Press store online are best for this. Nowhere near me sells them either so that's where I get mine. Wayland Games and most other independant online retailers sell them too.

How much would it cost to start a army?, depending on how much it is I may start playing much sooner.

If you wanted to get a standard tournament sized army (usually 35 points if I'm remembering correctly, though I haven't actually attended any so may be wrong) then it's likely to cost you £200-250 ($300-400) roughly. Don't be put off by this, it's expensive for sure, but that's all you'll ever be needing. Unless of course you want to have other options for your 35 point army. However if you play at a local games store you won't even need this much unless you want to play larger games. 15 points is a good starting size for a beginner to the game.

What faction is best for a new player?. I like Cryx but they seem very advanced, the Protectorate of Menoth looks good as well.

There isn't really a best faction for a new player, as they're all quite nicely balanced and each army can completely change in the way it plays with just a small tweak of Warcasters or Warjacks. It all really depends on your preferred style of gaming or which army you prefer the look of the most (which is what drew me to Cryx when I first started).

Where would I be able to play this?, are there stores that host games and tournaments?

I'm not so sure on this one as much as I don't attend big tournaments myself (though Jez posted this thread about the UK Masters tournament which may or may not be what you're looking for? - http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=66164 ). So you'd be better off waiting for one of the tournament warmachine players to answer this one, although I'm sure if you have any gaming stores near you, they'd be willing to hold Warmachine games. If they don't they're idiots.

Hopefully that can help a little?

·
Registered
643 Posts
- Are Privateer Press minis really that hard to get in the UK? I mean, I know you can't get them from GW stores, but non-affiliated gaming stores should at least be able to order them in for you. Anywhere that sells Reaper minis, Magic, Malifaux or Confrontation should be able to get Warmachine in.

Privateer Press does not own their own chain of stores (anywhere) so you really aren't looking for a PP store.

By the way, I would try and get a local game store to order them in rather than shopping online. That way, it is easier to get a group interested. Although that will also depend on your local crowd, so there's a little up in the air about it all.

- the $50 box sets are designed to be strong starting forces for minimal sized games. They contain between 11 and 14 points. Aside from that, the small games consist of 15 points, while the standard size for a game is generally 35 points. That's 20 points more than the starting box, so if you get a $50 box and then two units or 'jacks and a couple solos, or even a different warcaster, you're probably sitting at around $150-$200 (that's US dollars, but I don't know the exchange rates that well).

Some forces will cost more, some will cost less since the point values aren't directly related to the prices.

- As for faction, every faction takes a little while to learn, and if you love the cryx, I'd say go for them. They are a tricky force (and one thing you have to remember is that Cryx is all about the assassination win- so don't be discouraged when more of your troops are dead. Just look down at the board, and figure out how to get him next turn).

- I don't know what your local meta looks like, since I don't live near you. Around here there are a number of stores that frequently hold Warmachine tournaments, and some have large Warmachine groups show up to play one another frequently.

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
Most good gaming stores will have a small range of PP stuff in stock and will be able to order it in for you, my local one however doesn't for some absurd reason. The ones I've seen however sell them at normal price anyway so I'd prefer to buy from eBay myself as I've found a good store on there with free P and P with good prices (if you want a link LotN let me know).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts