Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok, this is a question regarding the instant death rule and eternal warriors.

an eternal warrior (we all know wat he is immune to), but does that only count towards cc attacks and long range fire power, that has high enough strength? or does it save him from dying even if hit with a special piece of equipment that has an ability to inflict instant death such as force weapon or bone sword.

here is a scenario..
a DP is an eternal warrior, normally if he suffered a wound from a demolisher cannon he would not die due to the eternal warriorship. but if he suffered a wound from a hive tyrants bone sword and failed the leadership test does he suffer instant death or because he is an eternal warrior he doesn't. and if he doesn't what happens? does he take another wound?:shok:

the rules i think only address wounds taken from a high strength shot or high strength cc unit. not special war gear rules.

some clarity on this would be very much apreciated. :grin:
(i've tried not to write the exact rules on here, but hope i still have made myself clear on what im asking) :eek:k:

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
All those special pieces of whatever cause Instant Death.
Naturally, Instant Death is caused by double Strength of your Toughness; but that isn't the only cause possible, Force Weapons and similar things do to.
Eternal Warrior means you are immune to Instant Death, regardless of the source.

The only way to get around this is something which doesn't cause Instant Death, but instead removes the model from play, or outright kills it (old versions of Force Weapons do this, they kill it in the same way as ID, but don't mention the words).

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
even if the war gear says that if you meet the requirements of inflicting instant death. he will not die?

if he doesnt die, what happens, so he doesnt pass the leadership test, so what if he doesnt, even if he passes or not he will not be killed instantly.

the rules i think are a bit ambiguous, cause they eternal warrior USR says hes immune to instant death as described in the rule book, but the rule book only describes about getting hit by something with high strength, not special powers?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
well that sucks. :ireful2:
so theres no point taking the leadership or psychic test to try and intant kill an eternal warrior.
therefore these (special weapons/war gear) rules only apply to models that have more than 1 wound and r NOT eternal warriors.

*EDIT* winterous, u said this What happens when an Eternal Warrior is ID'd? He takes a wound as normal, but doesn't get blown to bits.
just one question about it. he suffers a wound, but would he suffer an additional wound as a result of meeting the requirements of instant death, or is it just the one?

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
In it's part on P26 it specifies weapons which are double the toughness of the target, however there are other special rules that can piggy-back the instant death effect, without having to have the double strength hit. Same effect (removed as a casualty, no matter how many wounds suffered), but a different trigger. GW was lazy in not spelling this out better, but that's the end effect of it all.

If a weapon says it causes instant death, and a model is immune to instant death, then regardless of the source of the hit, there is no effect besides the normal, single wound that was dealt. For tyranid Bone Swords, you would not even roll the LD test against a Daemon Prince, as there is no point (he cannot suffer instant death).

Hope that helps :)

[Edit: you know, I should really refesh before posting, especially when I've let the page sit for a while :laugh:.]

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
Glad to help :)
Force Weapons and the like aren't COMMONLY put to use, it's not particularly frequent that you'll fight a model with multiple wounds with the model holding your brain-fryer or whatever.

Tyranids, everything big is vulnerable, and that HURTS, especially when you take off one of its 6 wounds, and then decide to murder it horribly :|
Orks, Nobs have 2 wounds each, so you'll get occasional use against those guys, you might deal 2 wounds and kill 1 guy, you might deal 1 or 3 wounds and ID the other wound of a fellow.
Tau, Battlesuits are a big part of their army, and they each have 2 wounds like Nobs.

Other than that, just about the only things you'll use it against are Commanders, whatever they may be called; Warboss, Farseer, Lord, Officer, McHappychap the third, etc.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Glad to help :)
McHappychap the third, etc.
this guy sounds cool, where can i buy him??:wink:

yeah i just wanted to be sure before it comes up in one of our heated discussions at a mates place.
thanks again:grin:

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
this guy sounds cool, where can i buy him??:wink:

yeah i just wanted to be sure before it comes up in one of our heated discussions at a mates place.
thanks again:grin:
Mr Happy McChappy is special order only, for discerning clients :p

He also answers to Mr. Jingles, though it's probably best not to speculate what exactly jingles on him.

(Not mine, Shamelessly stolen :p)

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Muhwahwahwahwa! I'm finally fulfilling my dream of mentally scarring people! :taunt:

The clown is called Mr. Jingles, a character from Spinespur (and the character no-one else wants to f*ck with), but that is an impressive build/paintjob of an already disturbing model! (link to the guy that did it).

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.