Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
JUGGERNUT
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I'm planning to participate in an upcoming 40k tourney, and the organizers said people have complained that their entire wall of terrain free to use for patrons of the store isn't good enough, because it doesn't block line of sight well enough. Thinking about it, it is a somewhat legitimate concern and can totally change the way a game plays out. They have no problem with players donating terrain, so I think I can make some cheap and attractive pieces.

I imagine that is to say that the height of the terrain is insufficient, and windows and gaps and such allow models to shoot through.

Therefore, what do you think is an appropriate piece of terrain, in terms of dimensions?

Is 12" a good height? Nothing bigger than 12" x 12" x 12" seems like a "fair" piece of terrain. Even that is pretty damn big. Maybe just 12" max for any one dimension, but never two.

Obviously anything can be used as the terrain itself. I've seen tutorials on turning beer cans into LoS-blocking terrain. I can use corrugated plastic to just build walls/ruins without openings.

·
Registered
773 Posts
12" is tall if you are just blocking LOS. It does depend though on how big the things you want to be blocking LOS is. If you want to block LOS from skimmer to Skimmer then yeah 4-5" tall. Average guy to guy though would be 2" tall maybe just over if you are counting some of the larger guys. Remember things like Dreadnaughts can only fire at the height there guns are.
A great one of course is woods. You just need a base of whatever size and scatter a few trees on it and have a declaration of if the base is as shown for density or Thick (anyone on the base unless in 1" of an edge of the base has 0 LOS outside).
You can do the same with buildings, if you have a few tall walls and a few short ones. Throw a few cotton wool bits on there and say that it is a fresh explosion site and is filled with dense smoke / radiation that interferes with visors and stuff, that makes it impossible to see through with any accuracy (so all shadows and mist).

Good tips though. 1.75L bottles of Coke

are great as both Bastions and Void Shield Generators. 500ml Bottles of Coke or Dr Pepper are also good for Void Shields due to their shape as well.

Trays that Chinese Food comes in (Foil or Plastic) from Takeaways are almost always the right height for blocking LOS and are nice as bunkers. Also very easy to resculpt.

Airwaves Chewing Gum Bottles
make nice Powerplants / Fuel Tanks / Silos.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
You could only possibly need 12" tall stuff for Flyers, Imperial Knights, and Wraithknights: 95% of the stuff in the game could be blocked by 6-8" stuff, and 85% or so could be blocked by a mere 4-6" tall thing.

In one FLGS I play in, when 6e came around, somebody made a couple of sheer stone desert outcroppings about 12-18" long and 5" tall by simply layering foam board on top of itself. One or two of those really define a battlefield.

Alternately, making the Citadel building kits with windows boarded up and as many complete walls as possible.

You can get pretty creative, though: aluminum cans as storage silos, large plastic aquarium tree trunks (rather than just frilly aquarium plants), and so on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts