Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because I'm sure one of the major changes from 6th to 7th ed was that a character with infiltrate who joined a unit without infiltrate couldn't actually use the rule, and vice versa (ie, a unit with it plus a character without also couldn't). But I can't find that clarification in the rulebook or in the FAQs, it just says, "Units that contain at least one model with this special rule". Am I imagining things? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Because I'm sure one of the major changes from 6th to 7th ed was that a character with infiltrate who joined a unit without infiltrate couldn't actually use the rule, and vice versa (ie, a unit with it plus a character without also couldn't). But I can't find that clarification in the rulebook or in the FAQs, it just says, "Units that contain at least one model with this special rule". Am I imagining things? Thanks.
Units that contain at least one model with this special rule are deployed last, after all other units (friend and foe) have been deployed. If both sides have Infiltrators, the players roll-off and the winner decides who goes first, then alternate deploying these units.

Games Workshop Ltd. Warhammer 40,000 (Kindle Locations 11286-11288).

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Units that contain at least one model with this special rule are deployed last, after all other units (friend and foe) have been deployed. If both sides have Infiltrators, the players roll-off and the winner decides who goes first, then alternate deploying these units.

Games Workshop Ltd. Warhammer 40,000 (Kindle Locations 11286-11288).
So I was just imagining it? Huh. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Important stipulation, pg. 166 under Independent Characters:

An Independent Character without the Infiltrate special rule cannot join a unit of Infiltrators at deployment.
You were imagining nothing, just had to look at a different spot.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Important stipulation, pg. 166 under Independent Characters:

You were imagining nothing, just had to look at a different spot.
I knew it! Thank you. But it appears that it works the other way around - the infiltrating character can join a unit without the rule and infiltrate with them. Is that correct?

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Yes, an Independent Character with the Infiltrate rule could join a unit that doesn't have it and still be allowed to Infiltrate with that unit since the qualifications Xabre pointed out are met.

That was a weird sentence.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
In my defense, I thought that was the case also, I was just too lazy do do a full search at the time to find the stipulation. Sorry.

Thanks @ntaw.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
From my understanding it was always an order of processes thing.

ICs attach during deployment by placing the IC within 2" of the squad they're joining, they're magically joined, huzzah!

Infiltration happens during deployment, but specifically stipulates that infiltrating units are deployed last, after all other units (friend & foe) have been deployed.

So in the case of an infiltrating unit and a normal IC, the IC would already be on the board or declared as a reserve prior to the unit infiltrating. The same applies in reverse. Although it does seem legal to hold your deployment of your special infiltrating snowflake until the infiltration stage, just to keep your opponent guessing which squad he's joining.

One of the exceptions to this, I'm unaware of others but I'm sure there are, is Captain Shrike, as his rule specifically stipulates that he joins a unit before deployment.

Glad the FAQ cleared it up anyway, just thought I'd share all that for the sake of curiosity.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts