Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
I've done fuck all building but managed to get ruined in a couple matches the other day. The table is so fun to play on, while the ruins definitely worked for our purposes seeing them only makes me want to make more appropriate scenery more.

Yeah those DC all died where they stood.

I seem to remember Warriors not winning in CC in the olden editions...

Much like the DC, those dudes out front: toast.

Now my opponent (who is just learning the game) gets a taste of why you don't let BA characters into combat...

...and why it's important to keep supporting units further away.

The big showdown (Libby lost, but only just).

How it all ended.

Pretty crazy to me that three models almost tabled him once they got into combat, and they aren't even close to the best BA have to offer.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Thanks arthur_bobany :drinks:

I have now sealed (with Mod Podge) 7 out of my 9 painted tiles, and took a break to work on my skids a little bit. Here's where I'm at with them:

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Thanks! Surprisingly they block LoS at eye level to most infantry models perfectly.

Almost done sealing the tiles I have painted, only one more to go! Not like that's even close to the end of this project of course...:hang1::laugh:

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Started working on terrain now that I've sealed the tiles I have painted. Here's a WIP shot of what my walkways and platforms will look like (so far from being done).

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #70 (Edited)
Cut the pipe to the length I wanted, bottom hole is so snug it actually supports it already. Second level build but just kinda propped in place about 3" above the main level. There will be supports echoing the lower ones propping it up.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
looking dope mate! Is there gonna be something like this in each tile, or no? And will these top pieces be glued on or modular?
Not on every tile, things I think would get a little congested if I had something on each of the 16. I'm thinking of doing another one of these dumping stations, which stand about 14" tall and the main platform is 8" square, several modular walkways with subtly larger platform areas as 'spray down stations' for the canals, four pillars (at least one or two with ramshackle sniper nests up top), the pipeline that I've had sort of in the works the whole time, and two larger 10x10" platforms for the fully raised tiles that have no canal. I was thinking one of them would have a large freight elevator on it with skids/crates as scatter terrain and the other could have large storage tanks of water/cleaner used for the hose down sections so long as I can reasonably run pipes to and from it.

Everything will be capped at 12" taller than the main level of the table (14" from the bottom of the canals) to imply a fairly low ceiling to the area. Ultimately I'm looking at 5-6 different levels vertically for models to use.

....any of that make sense? :laugh: Here's where I'm at with it now. Really jonesing for more than 10 minutes at a time to put on it.

·
Registered
866 Posts
That’s sounds like some awesome terrain you’ve got coming up. Are you going to add some barriers, gantry and walk ways for the raised areas? Going on your build quality so far you’re going to have a green eyed monster inducing sweet gaming table!
Keep it up dude.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Thanks for the kind words :drinks: Would you believe this is my first actual cohesive terrain project? I've built various small things in the past but this is the first venture into an entirely themed and scratch built table with terrain specific to it.

Are you going to add some barriers, gantry and walk ways for the raised areas?
The walkways I mentioned in my previous post will be ~2" above the raised area of the table on legs echoing the telescoping poles of the dumping station (ie. I have more of that tubing and found a far better way of cutting it :laugh:). I'm thinking that I should have another level above that though....I'll have to figure that out as I get rolling on that aspect of the terrain. The main platform of the dumping station will be ~1" above the walkway system (3" above raised area of table). I could maybe transform my pillar idea to enclosed staircases, that way I could put precariously high walkways (~10" above raised area of table) between them way up at the 'ceiling'.

Was reading through HH red books yesterday and was thinking your terrain would also make a pretty good space hulk if you put the tall sections either side of a low tile in the middle.
I have thought many many times about building a retaining wall with sewage grates in it to cover the rough edge of the table so that it works with a flat area and adds to a much larger table, but for now that idea is stewing. Once I get a couple tables done for 40k I'm totally going to recreated the Space Hulk tiles for a more immersive game. Will very likely widen things up to accommodate Zone Mortalis as well, but with relatively obvious squares to maintain the ability to play Space Hulk (since it's what got me into this whole nonsense hobby back in the 90's).

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Finished everything but the fine detail work on the main platform centre console thingy and glued the legs for the second level in place, though the second level is still sitting unattached (don't think the legs were glued in place for the second picture, but that's basically where they are).

One I finish the small details I'd like to add to the consoles it's on to the ladder between levels I think, so I can glue the top in place finally. Railings I'll have to work out once I've done some hard thinking on my walkway system. I have the design and materials at least.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #79 (Edited)
Finished the console details, glued the 2nd level in place (after playing a stupid game with leveling it off a bit better), and am ready to start work on the ladder between levels and the railing up top. I think I may have to add some supports in underneath on the main legs as well, to pull two in that have waffled out a bit but more to better support them as they are just glued by the edges of a tube to the bottom and are ~5" tall.

EDIT: Got a bit more time, did work on the ladder. Pink part not glued in, and I cut them a bit long to give me leeway with the railing.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Woo railings! Decided to only to one entrance to the main platform. The piece can easily be turned on the spot to whatever heading is desired during setup anyway.

Next up: some details around the pipe on the top level once I figure that out.

61 - 80 of 93 Posts