Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

41 - 60 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I got a bit more work done on the broken sections today but ran out of .5mm styrene before I could finish :ireful2:

I have enough to lay randomly across a 2"x2" square to this point, there will be almost double that by the time I'm done.

Also managed to start grime-ing up the board today. All of the tiles are drying right now, but here's one just after it was hit with the mix:

Looking forward to seeing how it dries! I'll likely go over all the tops of the tiles randomly with what gunk is left diluted with a ton of PVA and fine sand for the 'dirty-but-not-so-nasty' main floor area.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Guess who started painting yesterday??

I have to play this stage a bit differently as I can't just have the tiles going in and out of the closet once the sides have been filled (too much possibility of debris or hitting them off something), so I have to paint the edges fairly promptly after they have dried and had the loose bits sanded off to seal them in. Figure, if I'm painting the sides I may as well paint the rest of the tile as well, right? Right. Hopefully I'll get the wood, silver bits, and grime done some time over the weekend and actually see what this is gunna look like finished.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Been really busy with life recently, but I managed to put a bit of time in painting. Here the first tile is, before and after the wash.

Just have to drybrush up some details and it'll be on to tile number two. At least the approach will have been decided on for the next ones, there has been a lot of 'hmmm...how's this going to work?' at this step.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Finished tile #1 :

I'm not super confident in my painting skills compared to my building skills, but I think this is a pretty good place to stop. If I can manage this level of detail for every tile I think I'll be pretty happy with the overall look.

·
Registered
18 Posts
That looks fantastic. The wash made a big difference. I'm going to have to go read this thread from the beginning.

Reactions: ntaw

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Thanks, I was more than a little nervous sacrificing this tile to the gods of trial and error but it all worked out in the end. If anything I could have done the wash before the green and then drybrushed green on top of it but I'll likely just keep rolling with this idea. There's going to be walkways, platforms, and pipes all over the table to distract from any of that.

I couldn't wait to get to where I am but now that I have a plan I'm all about building some terrain to fill up the space :laugh: Always thinking about that next step...

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Thanks @DaisyDuke :drinks:

Little bit of prep work done, currently painting 3 more tiles. Got the one above finished with a black exterior edge, I think it really cleans up the tile's presentation. Thoughts?

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
A month has passed and 8th is in full swing, as well as a fully painted Necron force for me to game with. Now back to business! I have four tiles totally painted now and two more currently in progress.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm liking how this is going. I was in dollarama and grabbed some of the materials you used. I think I'm going to do the negative space thing and make a variety of shapes like how the tiles produce in the corners when they are all lined up. I have a desert terrain table that I've slowly been making into a more alien and rusted post apocalyptic table.

I think a good portion of it being like your tiles but coming out of the desert rather than being sewer will work to make it more industrial Sort of like foundations anchored down to rock beneath the sand to allow things to be built on them instead of sitting on the sand.

Like if the coloured portion above was a single terrain piece.

If I didn't need to keep things really portable, I'd totally go get a bunch of squares cut like you did. This table is turning out great.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Thanks @Nin, that seems like a pretty cool idea for terrain you have yourself. Be sure to start up a thread with your results :eek:k:

Thinking about portability, I found a suuuuuuper minty plastic bin that holds 8 tiles....almost perfectly. The wheel wells stick up just enough that I have to shim the base a 1/2" and that means I can't close the lid. I'm going to get in there and chop the raised portions out 'cuz damn this is just perfect with almost no wasted space down the sides and two would hold the whole table for transportation and storage.

As for the table....well, life's been busy between work, my family, and my desire to get in games of 8th with a fully painted army. Gaming aside that's out of the way now so I'm doing stuff I promise!

Once these three tiles are done I'll have a 3'x3' gaming area good to go.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Do you have any idea who makes the container or what it's called? I think the tile approach is really good and if I can find a good transport solution I may end up imitating your plan more directly.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Do you have any idea who makes the container or what it's called? I think the tile approach is really good and if I can find a good transport solution I may end up imitating your plan more directly.
I'm having a bit of trouble getting things to fit. It's such a tight fit I actually am down to less than 1/4" to make the difference between the lid closing or not. I have to find a better tool to shave down the corner struts but it's been otherwise easy to make the modifications I have. Might all be for naught though, hopefully I get a bit of time to work it out soon.

Got a bit more painted, top centre tile has been darkened to match the others since the pic was taken. Next three are currently being painted, hopefully done sooner than later.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Starting to look very good indeed.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Thanks @Shandathe, now that I have a 3x3 area finished I'm going to get some terrain on there for some gaming action. Tomorrow I'll be bringing in some scrap mdf to work so I can cut bases for my pipe sections.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The grates really make the join lines between those tiles disappear. Once you add terrain, pipes, etc., I think it's going to look really unified.

I finished my prototype for the negative space version. When it came to doing all the nails to make rivets, I just stopped part way through. I think I might get some sort of adhesive rhinestone or something.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
@Nin, I'd love to see how it's going. Why not start a thread about it? When I used tiny brad nails for my board it was also to help hold everything in place and because it was easy to push them in with my thumb on the fly given how much foam I have on top of my mdf base.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Thanks! I started cutting bases for the pipes at work today (only took me almost two weeks to remember to bring MDF in) so there will be at least that on there for whenever I can actually get a game in on it.

41 - 60 of 93 Posts