Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

21 - 40 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
All the sharp things!

Things are starting to come together here, I've even managed to cover up my janky foamcore cuts at the edges of the tiles:

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Decisions, decisions....

Which "ladder" looks better for scale? They will be trimmed and mounted accordingly, just leaning up against a wall in these pics.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I'm going to put a cap on the canal wall to cover the tops and gaps in foamcore, as well as the tops of the popsicle sticks. The ladders will be mounted on the edge of that lip and I'll see how craftily (holy fuck that's a word?!) I can cut the ladders themselves so that they still connect. They're plastic hair curlers so if I don't cut the section so short there should be connections rounding off the sides to the wall. I feel like I'm doing a bad job explaining this, but if it looks as good as it does in my head all will be well!

Decided I'm going to hold off on building..er...buildings..for this table just yet. I got a 10' length of 1/2 pipe and a dozen or so fittings to make some scenic accessories for the table that should be a lot easier to get together and I'm now planning a couple more simple platforms and walkways to round this project out for the time being. Got some other smaller terrain projects I need to get going on. Good things brewing! :drinks:

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Here's what things are looking like now. I will cut the rest of the wall supports longer, the gaps bother me. Can't see them unless you're right down at the table checking line of sight at least.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Nice 👍
I'm starting too see where you're going with this now and it's looking awesome 👏
Excellent! Things have changed a few times as I've moved through the project but I think it's all for the better. Those two tiles are basically finished with the exception of grime added all through the canal. Grime will be represented by hobby moss dipped into a mixture of fine sand and PVA glue and shoved in almost every nook and cranny I can think of (any 'drips' down the walls will just be PVA with fine sand, which picks up a light drybrush quite effectively). Every few tiles will also receive ladders and short pipes draining out of the walls into the canals. There's eleven tiles with inset canals (plus three that make a large pool area which will have more unique accessories) so I'm thinking maybe six tiles with drains and five with ladders.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Been picking away at this, too hot right now in the apartment to do much of anything even though I have the place to myself. Instead I'll pull out a bunch of almost done tiles and take pictures!

Here's the pool area:

A close up on the damaged grate (yes, it was fiddly as fuck):

....and last but not least, I have a 3x3' table good to have some random scatter terrain thrown on it so I can actually play a game of Shadow War on it!

It will be fun to play a game finally. I never played Necromunda and I haven't done anything but read the Shadow War rule book and make kill team lists around building this table....hopefully I like the game, eh??!!! :laugh:

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Thanks for the kind words!

My painting plan I'm sure will change as I start going, but I'm thinking that the mesh will be metal (black drybrushed silver or silver washed black and highlighted, not sure yet) and the foamcore will be concrete grey with some highlighting. I feel like I'll end up painting the wood ..er..wood coloured but I may change my mind. Grime will be muted browns (highlighted with beige maybe) and greens (highlighted with yellows maybe) for maximum grime.

It's a rough plan but it's what I got! :laugh:

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Took a break from the table work today to scrap together some skids. I feel like they're a little large but am generally OK with how they turned out, next step here is making a bunch of ammo crates and/or barrels to stack up on top to help block that LoS.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Bam. All sixteen tiles (finally) finished and ready for the grime-ening:

I haven't counted, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was ~500 nails shoved into that board.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Bam. All sixteen tiles (finally) finished and ready for the grime-ening:

I haven't counted, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was ~500 nails shoved into that board.
you can legitimately say: nailed it.

Reactions: ntaw

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Took a little break from the table to work on terrain for it. Let there be pipes!

8x 8" pieces and 4x 5" pieces that I'll ruin the ends of should be enough to spread across the table. They will run on supports so the tops of them will be ~1" off the table; plenty for cover or to hide behind but not totally LoS blocking per se. Any and all walkways will be 2" off the table and will be just over top of the pipes if they intersect.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Little bit of time spent detailing the pipes today. These are the three types of join I'm doing, though none of them are on their bases yet. Not sure if I'm going to bother with rivets this time around.

21 - 40 of 93 Posts