Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just finished reading Fear to Tread and the bit that intrigued me the most (alongside the fact that the chapter of the book in Ultramar is called Imperium Secondus) was the revelation that the Primarchs all had something unique about them that they got from the Emperor, a 'special ability' as it were. In the book, it lists that Mortarion can feel no pain, Sanguinius can see the future and Corax can 'cloud the minds of men'. Did the other Primarchs have similar such abilites? Night Haunter also had visions, but I believe they were more detailed yet more troubling and painful than Sanguinius'.

Midnight

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Mortarion could also teleport/had some sort of strange warping ability (used it to sneak up on magnus's position of which Magnus could not detect, and or feel him until he felt Mort's honorguard with him"

Curze had some form of TK which destroyed/exploded all the lights in the prison complex.

Sang could engulf his non force sword in flames

Lorgar had immense TK, able to heal himself down to the molecular level of reshaping his entire melted face/body

Russ was highly resistance/outright immune to Warp powers being used against him, and his mere presence disrupted/caused fatal reactions in warp users (when fighting the thousand suns)

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Mortarion could also teleport/had some sort of strange warping ability (used it to sneak up on magnus's position of which Magnus could not detect, and or feel him until he felt Mort's honorguard with him"
"Ahriman blinked as a dark outline seemed to flow from a patch of shadow at the foot of one of the Custodes Titans, a tall, gaunt figure in armour of pallid white, bare iron and brass, shrouded in a mantle of stormcloud grey. A bronze rebreather collar obscured the lower part of his hairless skull, and feathers of rancid air gusted from it at regular intervals. The giant figure breathed deeply of these vapours."

A Thousand Sons

I wouldn't say he can teleport. He has some shadowy cloaking ability but even then it's not for certain. And I doubt Magnus was fooled but Mortarion clearly wanted to speak with him hence why Magnus asked him to quit the attempt and to just appear as his normal self.

Curze had some form of TK which destroyed/exploded all the lights in the prison complex.
And most importantly the gift of foresight.

Sang could engulf his non force sword in flames
Again, more importantly he had the gift of foresight.

Lorgar had immense TK, able to heal himself down to the molecular level of reshaping his entire melted face/body
The healing was undoubtedly due to pacts made with the Chaos pantheon.

'Seeing his brother’s expression, Lorgar’s smile became more sincere.

‘Some words and sounds shake the foundations of reality. For example, the concept and sound of a hundred and one blind men choking and gasping as they all drown at the same time serves as the name of a certain daemonic princeling.

Compressing that noise and its meaning into a single sound can be enough to draw that entity’s attention and render it easier to summon. The word I just spoke was… similar. I see the question in your eyes, and yes, I can teach you this tongue.’

Khârn spoke without meaning to. ‘That’s how you’ve healed yourself.

Lorgar nodded, though he didn’t pull the hood back.

‘It is. The pain, however, was indescribable.

Were I mortal in the usual sense I’d be dead from the attempt alone. Reknitting skin and muscle meat is easy enough in principle, but everything comes at a price'

Betrayer

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I wouldn't say it was a cloaking ability purely, but more so some form of teleportation or rapid movement. Because this isn't the first time mortation used an ability that allowed him to cover mass distances rapidly, or instantly.

Maybe he enters some form of shadow realm that allows him to move across distances differently then others, however I still believe Magnus couldnt sense him due to that it notes he only became aware due to sensing the honorguard with mort.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
I wouldn't say it was a cloaking ability purely, but more so some form of teleportation or rapid movement. Because this isn't the first time mortation used an ability that allowed him to cover mass distances rapidly, or instantly.
Where and when does he cover mass distances?

Maybe he enters some form of shadow realm that allows him to move across distances differently then others, however I still believe Magnus couldnt sense him due to that it notes he only became aware due to sensing the honorguard with mort.
Shadow realm? There is nothing other than the Warp and the Webway and a few other alien pathways. But being a creation of the Emperor, he obviously would not have access to anything of the sort.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Where and when does he cover mass distances?

Shadow realm? There is nothing other than the Warp and the Webway and a few other alien pathways. But being a creation of the Emperor, he obviously would not have access to anything of the sort.
It's lux he makes Glen Beck seem almost sane. He pulls crap out of 'the shadow realm'.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
There are other dimensions aside from the warp and webway, the shadow realm is but one of them.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Really? ^^ I thought there was just the warp, is the webway not in the warp?

·
Bruva I am hit!
582 Posts
There are other dimensions aside from the warp and webway, the shadow realm is but one of them.
Don't forget about the Alfa Realm, where all is cactus, Steel Rehn, and Beinblehd, and where Commander Boreale and Captain Diomedes reign supreme. All mortals can hear the call of the Alfa Realm in their dreams and when they listen closely across the void..."BRUVA I AM HIT!" It is thought that Vance "Motherfucking" Stubbs tapped into this realm to summon 100 Baneblades, but failed to control his powers and lost them all.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The Necron codex page 36 states that there is atleast 5 dimensions.

The Dark Eldar codex page 8 states that the Webway is like a veil or mirror surface between our reality and the Warp.

HH book Betrayal page 265: Mortarion got a special rule, making him able redeploye within a certain range and no kind of terrain can stop him.

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
The three-way reality/immaterium/webway dimensional split does seem to only scratch the surface of the true state of affairs.

Other dimensions/realms are mentioned in passing, notably from Dark Eldar or Necron sources or codices. Such as the Mandrake shadow-realm or the "oubliette" accessed by Necron Deathmarks. But there has been no real expansion on such matters other than them primarily being mentioned in the individual lore of certain army units.

OT: There is literally no evidence to suggest Mortarion can teleport. Lux has also argued in the past that Leman Russ is a blank, so his contributions usually have to be taken with a pinch of salt. Sorry Lux.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
OT: There is literally no evidence to suggest Mortarion can teleport. Lux has also argued in the past that Leman Russ is a blank, so his contributions usually have to be taken with a pinch of salt. Sorry Lux.
That's an understatement. Take his word like you would on of the doomsayers on the corner of a street.

Quick Run down

Magnus: Uber Psyker
Angron: Uber Roidrage, higher endurance than most primarch
Fulgrim: Ability to look like a sissy while killing an avatar of khane
Konrad Curze: Able to see the future.
Alpharius : No clue but he's a damn ninja and MAY have a twin
Leman Russ: Some kind of psychic shock wave,.
Morteron: Some kind of shadow meld.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
COTE I generally take everything stated by everyone with a squirt of lime

As for the primarchs unique abilities and or accompanying powers, it really is open to subjection to interpretation. The description of Mortarion appearing out of thin air, and or the shadows is really all we have, in addition to it being instantly (in the blink of an eye) as well as Magnus being unable to sense him prior to appearing.

The warp, the webway, and the materium are but three dimensions, as I stated in prior post there a plethora of dimensions in the warhammer 40k mythos and lore. They have been mentioned as stated by a prior poster, in the dark eldar codex, in the necron codex, as well as other mediums of literature pertaining to the 40k lore.

Simply put and this is in regards to everyone if some ones interpretation does not fit into your paradigm it does equate to being inaccurate. Rather it simply constitutes as one interpreting an already open source of literature to their own subjective perception, there is no true objectivity in any literary mythos.

Warhammer 40k is the same, its literature, its stories; they are purposefully left open to a wide spectrum of interpretation for that generates interest from a wide range of demographics. Enough meta analysis, I have digressed from the topic at hand which is the abilities of the primarchs in question. I further state once more that Mortation does indeed have a form of instantaneous transportation, and or molecular deconstruction and reconstruction at a chosen end point.

He very clearly in two separate novels demonstrated the ability to instantly appear at a location of his choosing, the first to speak with Magnus. Of which Mortation appeared directly within speaking distance of Magnus, of which Magnus was unable to detect him in the warp and the materium in any manner prior to him appearing. Furthermore in the other novel, one of the astartes comments on how Mortation is able to move at unnatural speeds, to be where he needs when he needs to be there. Furthermore as an addendum, in the new official rules released for the Primarch Mortarion he has a special ability that pertains to the discussion at hand. Specifically the primarch Moration on the table top according to the released rules for him, is able to instantly redeploy at any location regardless of terrain and or other objects on the field. Just a quick bit to think about, of how that may or may not tie in with his supposed abilities, particulalry his ability to teleport.

Interpret it as you will, and douse heavily in lime.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Angron also has the ability to kill psykers in his presence (although this is probably due to the Nails rather than some inate ability), mentioned in Betrayer.
Corax can cloud minds to become invisible (I'd love to know if this works on Magnus or the other psychic Primarchs such as Kurze or Sanguinius with their foresight abilities) and I think Kurze may have this too but I'm not sure. Corax's skill is mentioned in Raven's Flight
Perturabo has special abilities with technology, equalling the skills of the Adeptus Mechanicus according to IA and other sources (Angel Exterminatus mentions it I think but I'm not 100% sure).
Vulkan and Ferrus Manus have skills with metals (seemingly different to Perturabo's skills) and forging mentioned Galaxy in Flames and Fulgrim. GiF mentions an awesome gun built by Vulkan and Fulgrim mentions Forgebreaker the mace built by Ferrus Manus.
I'm not sure if Vulkan's humanity and caring for others is a skill or part of his personality.
Roboute Guilliman's ability with logistics and being able to translate the skills he has into a manual usable by anyone in the Codex, may be an innate ability. I think he shares his skills with planning and strategy with Horus and possibly Lion El'Jonson.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Perturabo has special abilities with technology, equalling the skills of the Adeptus Mechanicus according to IA and other sources (Angel Exterminatus mentions it I think but I'm not 100% sure).
It does say he is gifted with understanding puzzles and tech in Angel Exterminatus.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Rogal Dorn was highly skilled in the construction of fortifications hence his central role in the strengthening and defence of the Imperial Palace on Terra.

Alpharius and Omegon appear to share more than simple brotherhood. Their twinship hints at the fact that they are one soul in two bodies. Which could be construed to boil down to the same conscious thought in two separate entities/locations. A rather unique and powerful trait.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts