Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Despite having a full Chapter that I'm trying to build, I've made a 2000-point or so army just as something a little different to do, both modelling-wise and gameplay-wise. This is the fluff I've got for 'em. Their armour is white and trimmed in green, and is heavily decked with purity seals, honour scrolls, and assorted religious iconography.

Origins
Immediately following Vandire’s Reign of Blood, ending in 288.M36, the newly reinstated High Lords of Terra ordered the founding of twenty-four Space Marine Chapters whose homeworlds would solely be in the Segmentum Solar. The decree of the new Chapters’ restriction to basing themselves in the Segmentum Solar was in part to alleviate the High Lords’ paranoia of another Reign of Blood occurring, but officially was due to the utter devastation left in the wake of the civil war in the Segmentum.
Ecclisiarch Sebastian Thor’s decree that no man should bear arms for the Ministorum was not enough for many high-ranking Ministorum officials to stay out of the affairs of the Sixteenth Founding. Under the guise of maintaining the spiritual purity of the test subjects implanted with the base genetic stock used to develop new progenoids, the Ministorum took particular interest in a randomly selected Chapter, that which bore the designation 733 whilst on Mars.
Chapter 733 was founded using genetic stock taken from the repositories of the Ultramarines Primogenetor chapters—those created from the 2nd Founding. The geneticists on Mars decreed the Chapter battle-ready at approximately half-strength, and Chapter 733 was deployed immediately to Elysseé, an agri-world in the northeastern part of the Segmentum Solar, whose governor had declared the world free of Imperial rule during the chaos of the Reign of Blood.
Accompanied by a detachment of Martian Skitarii, several magos biologis to monitor the Chapter’s battlefield performance, and dozens of Ministorum confessors, Chapter 733 swiftly brought Elysseé back into compliance with Imperial rule. Deeming the Chapter fit for full, independent service, the Chapter was left to guard Elysseé as its homeworld.
The confessors which accompanied the Chapter to Elysseé spoke to the terrified people as was their way, using passionate oratory to reaffirm the Imperial Creed in the populace. The most senior of the confessors referred to the Chapter in his speeches as “knights clad in the shining white light of the Emperor.” The people of Elysseé began to refer to Chapter 733 as the White Knights, in reference to the arch-confessor’s speeches. Chapter 733 officially took the name, “Lions Rampant,” in 341.M36.
As the Chapter which the Ministorum had monitored most closely during the Sixteenth Founding, a sizable detachment of missionaries remained behind with the Lions Rampant on Elysseé to reestablish the Imperial Church. Rather than venerating the Emperor in what is typically a questionable way in the Church’s eyes, or worshipping the Chapter’s Primarch above the Emperor, the Lions Rampant fell into the open embrace of the missionaries, becoming strict and devout adherents to the tenants of the Church of the Savior Emperor. Due to the Thorian Edict, the Chapter could not actively serve the Church, but maintained close ties to the Ministorum as a separate entity. The Chapter took the Ministorum’s fleur de lys as its icon, a not-so-subtle symbol of their relationship with the Church. Records, however, indicate the Chapter’s icon is a roaring lion, reared up on its hind legs. The fleur-de-lys is displayed on the left shoulder pad, and the lion on the right.

Homeworld
Elysseé is a lush, hilly agri-world whose principle exports to the rest of the Segmentum Solar are fine wines and amasec. It is at a feudal state of technological decay, and the people farm the highlands contently. The northern reaches are largely uninhabitable, and as such make a prime area for the Lions Rampant principle Fortress-Monastery. Each Company also maintains a keep in the inhabited southlands to watch over the people, however. Buildings in the towns of Elysseé are largely wooden, with light gray stone used in the grander constructions.
Prior to being deposed by the Lions Rampant as their trial by fire, the planetary governor ruled from a Ramilies-class Star Fortress. The Ramilies-class fortress now serves as the dockyard for the Astartes’ small fleet of strike cruisers and their single Battle Barge, the Ever Pious.
Having a functional dockyard is vital to the Chapter’s survival, as the people of Elysseé are not particularly war-like, and in the eyes of those who are fit to judge such things, not of sturdy enough stuff to become Space Marines. Once in a while, a recruit will emerge from the vineyards, but the vast majority of the Lions Rampant are recruited off-world. Brethren who come from particularly backwards civilizations will often take a Gothic or Elysseéan name to complete their assimilation into the Chapter.

Combat Doctrine
The Lions Rampant follow the Codex Astartes in general battle doctrine, though they favor close-range firefights and melees above ranged engagements. Many brethren train themselves to fight with a boltgun as a close combat weapon, as they long to prove their honor to the Emperor at grips with their foes, but are unwilling to violate the doctrines lain down by the Codex Astartes, whose doctrines have been practiced for ten millennia by countless Chapters with tremendous success.

Organization
As a Chapter which can trace its genetic lineage to the Ultramarines, the Lions Rampant are adherent to the Codex Astartes. They prefer close-quarters action over being dug into trenches and bunkers, and many train to use a boltgun in close combat.
Due to their zealous nature regarding the Imperial Creed, the Lions Rampant are quite suspicious of psykers, and outright refuse recruits sent from Terra to become Librarians. In accordance with their phobia of psykers, the Lions Rampant have actively made themselves available to Ordo Hereticus Inquisitors, particularly those who identify with the Thorian sect.
Librarians are usually employed as record-keepers for the Chapter. However, the Lions Rampant do not include Librarians amongst their ranks, and as such the duty must fall to another kind of officer. Rather than strictly supervise the spiritual well-being of a company’s brethren, the Chapter’s chaplains fulfill the non-combative role that Librarians hold in other formations. The Lions Rampant contain a noticeably higher number of Chaplains because of this, and are able to ordain more of their brethren as Chaplains due to their close connections with the Ministorum. It is not uncommon for a Chaplain to take on the Captain’s mantle, or vice versa, as needed.
Typically, a Chapter hailing from a later founding, such as the Lions Rampant, does not have a large volume of revered and trusted battle gear, such as terminator armour and the older, more reliable patterns of dreadnoughts. A benefit of close ties to the Ministorum, and by extension, the Ordo Hereticus, however, has been solid provisions of both Mk. III Terminator Armour and Mk. IV Dreadnought chassis.
Squads are identified by a band across the right greave or kneepad. Red indicates a Tactical Squad; green represents an Assault Squad, and blue signifies a Devastator Squad. Officers display their own heraldry on their right knee or greave instead of a squad marking. The Company number is displayed on the left greave or kneepad.

Beliefs
The Lions Rampant are said to be as passionate as an Imperial missionary and as fierce as a confessor in their faith. They are unshakably devoted to the Adeptus Ministorum’s interpretation of the Imperial Creed, and readily pursue those that the Church perceives, or they assume the Church would perceive, as heretics.
Like all Codex Space Marine Chapters, the Lions Rampant place emphasis on the lifestyle dictated by Guilliman’s great work, the Codex Astartes. Elysseé has a twenty-two hour day, as opposed to the approximately twenty-four hour day assumed to be in effect by the Codex. The Lions Rampant follow the Codex schedule when not on campaign, using the difference in daylight to better attune themselves to conditions which may be in effect on other planets they may be called to fight upon.
The Chapter considers sneaking about in a warzone cowardly, and only by the direct order of an Inquisitor will they attempt to work their way forward undetected. The brethren firmly believe that the Emperor must be shown their worthiness to stand beside Him upon their death, and that He would not approve of their attempting to slay their foes from the shadows instead of up front, proving both honor and valor.
When death claims a Space Marine, the Lions Rampant typically allow their fallen brother his rest. They believe that the Emperor allowed the Space Marine to die so that the Astartes could go to His side in eternity. The only cases where brethren will be interred in a dreadnought’s sarcophagus are when they have expressed the desire to sacrifice basking in the Emperor’s glory in death to further serve him in life. Despite having access to superior, older dreadnought chassis, the Lions Rampant field very few of their venerated fallen.

Gene-Seed
The Lions Rampant were founded from the genetic repositories of the Primogenetor Chapters on Mars, specifically that of the Sons of Guilliman, Libators, and the Praetors of Orpheus. As such, Lions Rampant boast remarkably pure gene-seed. All of the enhanced organs unique to the Adeptus Astartes are present and functional, and acceptance in recruits is estimated at ninety-four percent.

Battle-Cry
The Lions Rampant will often use litanies selected by their Chaplains prior to the battle as rallying cries, as well as the official battle cry of, “Nosce te fide!” or, in common Gothic, “Know thy faith.”

Using a Lions Rampant army in Warhammer 40,000:
Traits: Trust Your Battle Brothers, Have Faith in Suspicion

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
*edit*

I had written this prior to realizing that the name "White Knights" was probably a bad idea. Shows how smart I am occasionally, right? I updated the article on all the other boards I posted on, but I never actually fixed the name completely to "Lions Rampant" on the word document that I copied onto here.

I'd like to apologize to anyone who was offended by the Chapter's original name. Honestly, I would be myself if it were from someone else-- just shows how little attention I was paying. I was thinking it was a good name based purely on their armour. Again, my apologies. The name "White Knights" now only appears as a reference in their founding, and the Chapter is fully and completely the Lions Rampant.

·
Registered
359 Posts
The Son of Horus said:
In the United States, someone might be. The Ku Klux Klan refers to itself as "white knights." :roll:
I don't think anyone would really be offended by this. "White Knight" is a pretty ubiquidous symbol and I doubt it would be immediately associated with the Klan. I certainly didn't make that connection when I first read your fluff. I could see someone of Muslim descent being angered much more quickly by any of the Templars chapters before making the White Knight link. I say call them what you want and write the fluff you want.

I like your fluff by the by.

·
Registered
94 Posts
hes right also repeponist painted white are the worst by the way

gris

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
With the Space Marine Battle Company package weighing in at $350 US, I think it's very likely that the Lions Rampant may be taking to the field anew. I've written quite a bit more about them, but it's on my laptop, so it'll have to wait until a little later to be posted. Anyway, here's the color scheme for a sergeant (regular troopers have a fully white helm instead of the green faceplate).

The company color is displayed on the left knee, with the squad number over it. The squad icon is on the left shoulder pad, as per the Codex Astartes, though individual brethren may incorporate a fleur de lys or other devotional iconography into or over the icon. The right shoulder pad displays the Chapter icon, a Lion Rampant (go figure, right?). The right knee is officially left blank for a campaign badge, but brethren typically put a fleur de lys or devotional text on it. I decided to change the squad marking method from what's described in the original post because the colors really kind of clash... I painted up a couple squads a while ago, and it looks much better to just have the green and white and not have an odd spot color.

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes-- it's the emblem of Scotland. However, in fantasy stuff, the symbol appears quite often simply as a knightly icon. It's also quite similar to the crowned lion on the upper right corner of the heraldry on the Spanish flag. I really intended for the Lions Rampant to be more or less generally western, non-German European, and since the was used by more than one nation, it seemed a reasonable choice. Besides, there's something catchy about the name, don't you think?

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Ok sweet as, just thought I'd check.

Lol I got all excited when I saw the words Lion Rampant and thought it was a a Bruce themed army. No biggy.

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There'll be Scotsmen in the army, don't worry-- I couldn't call the Chapter that and have it be mostly Spanish and French names. Thanks for checking though-- I like to make sure I have all my bases covered, and if there's something I haven't thought of that helps make the army sensible, I'm all for it.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
The lion rampant is also found in the heraldry of Belgium (gold), Luxembourg (red-and-white horizontal stripes I think) and Sweden (gold again), as well as several notable families from, among other places, England (eg the Percies) and Ireland (eg the O'Culains).

I'm sure it's also used by many, many others.

IIRC, the Scots didn't begin to use it until the time of William the Lion (who'd have thought?) who was brought up in England and adopted it as his badge at this point (must stress this is all 'IIRC')

So, will your chapter include an Englishman, an Irishman and a Scotsman, along with a Belgian, a Swede and a Luxembourgeois, and a Spaniard? Oh, go on...

Oh yeah, loving the fluff: very very nice.
:cyclops:

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Oh no, I have apparently broken your thread. Sorry! :oops: (that's odd; the oops looks different. Mine goes pink.)

Look over there! It's an Inquisition dropship! (Orc runs away while no-one's looking...)

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
It's alright, it's fixed now... Just no-one posting on it for a little while, there my name was staring at me every time I browsed the forum, reminding me that I'd said something that no-one wanted to follow... so I figured I'd broken it.

And it really shouldn't be - in case I didn't really make it clear before - top class fluff mate, I take my helmet off in the presence of a master.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts