Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Craw-Daddy
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Knights of Steel

Origins

The Steel Knights are one of the original 20 chapters of the Astartes Praeses designed to fight the chaos incursions from within the Eye of Terror. The Steel knights have been in the forefront of the incursions for so long that they are not widely known throughout the Imperium. Created in the 2nd Founding, The Steel Knights are descendants from the geneseed of Roboute Guilliman and his Ultramarines. Because they often perform their duties far from the rest of the Imperial Forces, they are not really known by most of the Imperium and as such receive little recognition from many of their accomplishments.

Home World

The closest thing to a home world that The Steel Knights have is their training and industrial world of Dianon in the Dianon System located in Segmentum Pacificus. The Dianon System an inhospitable and harsh system with no life whatsoever except for servitors and recruits of The Steel Knights. The servitors are able to mine the system which provide the chapter with every material they need for supplies, and equipment. This makes the chapter almost entirely self sufficient. Though considered the chapter's home world, most members of the chapter never come back to this world after they deploy from the planet. Instead, the chapter divides itself into fleets in which they can easily travel and keep watch the activities from the Eye of Terror.

Beliefs

The Steel Knights believe in the great divinity of the Emperor. They believe that the "sins" of the Imperium should be destroyed and are well known for their great hatred of the traitor astartes. Giving no quarter, they regard any chapters and legions considered traitor excommunicatus and/or renegade, a stain to the Imperium and fight against them with a great zeal. More often than so, The Steel Knights refer to traitor marines as "Sins of the Imperium."

Notable/Recorded Wars/Campaigns

The New'quil Rebellion

After the Third Black Crusade a loyal chapter known as the Angels of Violet had been asked by the High Lord's of Terra for samples of their gene-seed. Prideful Chapter Master New'quil already unfound of by the Inquisition and many chapters, refused to give gene-seed samples when none of the other chapters with them had been asked. General Steven's of the Cadian 24th had also a fine reputation of being very arrogant and prideful due to his closeness to the Inquisition. General Stevens had met with New'quil at the planet of Mal'zer. It is said that the Arrogant General strode in and barked at New'quil, demanding the gene-seed and the surrender of his chapter to the Inquisition. What remains of General Stevens is said to be left on the abandoned Fortress of Mal'zer. Knowing he would have to pay for his treachery, New'quil made a pact with Slaanesh that he would sacrifice the gene-seed of whomever Chapter Master would come and face him.

Chapter Master Titus had arrived on the planet of Mal'zer to meet this new threat and return honor to the Imperium from a newly formed sin. Knowing that the Angels of Violet were a chapter very fond of close quarters he knew that his forces could ill hold the lines with such a brute and swift force, let along he only had 500 Astartes including his First Company. The rest of Titus' forces had been in other campaigns and would not arrive in time. Titus had to win this battle by tactic. New'quil, eager to rip apart his new foe charged the fields against Titus' poorly defended trenches. It was not long before Titus' forces had scattered to every direction without a fight. Taking heavy casualties from well aimed fire power to his first company; which were virtually nothing of a company anymore New'quil vowed to tear Titus to pieces. The only forces that remained now where Titus himself and his First Company led by Captain Glacious. New'quil cared not for the rest of Titus' coward force that were running for their lives. The tide of dark violet ran against his walls of terminators and veterans. Their armor was glossy and ran with a liquid that looked like blood and smelled of ecstasy. All of a sudden an in ray of confusion; explosions and bolter fire power sprang against the disgusting Violet force. The tide was so tightly packed that every round found a target. Same could be said by the whirlwinds and energy waves of plasma and melta fire. The fleeing force had intentionally retreated and reformed with two companies at each side of the tide. The marines not in lust with battle tried to retreat but could not do so due to the poorly made trenches slowing them down. They would all be gunned up by gunships. Still the war lusting tide howled and screamed as they tore into the First Company. Chapter Master Titus desperately trying to absorb attacks so that his men could continue to hold the line had left him weak. He fell to his knees as a knife found himself in his gut. He tore off the traitors head trying to get up. As he did he fell back down and saw the horror that had New'quil had become as he took off his helmet and had shown his stitched face. Stitched Scars could be seen all over his disgusting face. This is where Captain Glacious finest hour had sparked. Captain Glacious charged at the disgusting form of the Chapter Master to the Angels of Violet. The two angels of death sprung upon each other with their power swords. Captain Glacious finally cut open a stitch on New'quil's face and out poured violet matter as he screeched a foul scream and fell to his knees. It was then that the forces of the Violet Angels fell swoop as New'quil's head fell to the dusts of Mal'zer. The Imperium had triumphed.

The Fight For Plansisco

The Fight for planet Plansisco was during the time of the 10th Black Crusade. The planet of Plansisco was a world located by the Eye of Terror. The importance of this planet was its natural minerals and resources used for the Black Legion's armies. The planet itself was a Death World, a vast landscape of scorched rock and barren wasteland. The only natural living life in the depths of Plansisco's oceans. In these oceans lay all sorts of monstrous and mutated life. These massive oceans also covered up about a little less than half the planet's surface. Along these oceans were massive mountain peeks and within these massive peaks lay companies of Steel Bretheren of Chaos.

Tasked with the mission to eliminate the forces within the mountains and gain control of the planet's resources, was Captain Cryxis of the 5th Company. Chapter Master Titus gave Captain Cryxis command of 3 companies of Knights and the 10th company. Commanders; Captain Barbaydum of the 6th Company, Captain Zuelk of the 7th Company, Captain Galza of the 8th Company, and Captain Rulmon of the Scout contingent made planet fall along with the forces of Captain Cryxis. The initial invasion was well to easy. The Steel Brethern were traitors of traitors and cowards. The Steel Bretheren were just like their counter parts of the Iron Warriors, except in their Warsmith's desperation for more favor of the Chaos Gods betrayed their own Legion and Primarch to form their own warband. But the assumption that these warriors were any less tactful than their legion was a mistake, and one that Captain Cryxis was not ready for.

Captain Cryxis had no option but to attack the Steel Bretheren on their heavily fortified mountain tops. As the weeks raged with the siege, the fight was nothing more than a stalemate. Neither side able to gain the upper hand as the Steel Bretheren were outnumbered at least 2-1. Unable to penetrate the Steel Bretheren main fortress on the highest peaks of the mountain range, Captain Cryxis ordered the continuation of the mining and digging in the fortresses that the Knights of Steel were able to penetrate. The siege was taking more time than Captain Cryxis could anticipate. Already the siege lasting many months, it was only time before the remaining Steel Bretheren and forces of the Black Legion would send expeditions back to this planet to see what was wrong with their supply lines. He got every man and servitor he could to fill his ships up with as much resources as possible. But that would not be the only fate the Steel Bretheren would suffer at the hands of the Knights of Steel.

The mining shafts dug really close to the planets core by non other than the Steel Bretheren already, Captain Cryxis decided to blow up the planet's core. Many servitors died within the steaming heat of the planets interior. As Cryxis and the last of the Knights of Steel forces left the planet on their Thunderhawks he watched as he detonated the explosives in the planets core and watched from his Thunderhawk as the mountains along the planet's oceans blew up and lava streamed down the Steel Bretheren fortifications. As the mountains burned with fire, many Steel Bretheren went to the shores with what little equipment they had. Hoping to get their Thunderhawks in the air before the planet fell apart. But the anger of the oceans tore the rest of the survivors apart as they scrambled along the shores desperately from hundreds of horrors from that wretched ocean.

Captain Cryxis had failed, but did not let the Imperium suffer from his failure.

Abaddon's 13th Black Crusade

Most recently The Steel Knights are currently involved in the 13th Black Crusade which they entered relatively late due their previous assignments in finding certain elements of other chapters that had gone renegade and destroying them. These chapters have not been openly named and are only known by the chapter. However, though their late entry into this war they have managed to become quite successful at destroying particular parts of Abbadon's Forces, particularly the renegade astartes portions of his force. The Knights of Steel current objective in the 13th Crusade is to eliminate specifically the warbands of The Pyre, and Violaters. The Violaters Chapter almost suffering an all out defeat in which their reinforcements of their chapter have yet till this day arrived to support them. The scattered forces are almost all but extinct.
The Steel Knights have fully supported the Imperial Forces at the Cadian Gate by lending eight full companies including their veteran first company towards this campaign and led by non other than their Chapter Master, Titus.

Organization:

Chapter Master Titus

1st Company= Captain Glacious
2nd Company=Captain Grit
3rd Company=????
4th Company=????
5th Company=Captain Cryxis
6th Company=Captain Barbaydum
7th Company=Captain Zuelk
8th Company=Captain Galza
9th Company=????
10th Company=Captain Rulmon

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
I like the color scheme, but there is nothing else to say right now, as there aint all that much to see, but I believe this thread will be worth watching!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Out of anger Titus left the meeting and left the planet
imo I don't think a CM would leave negotiations as the inquisitor could then do what ever he wanted.

Also, if the IG and civilians witnessed a Chaos attack, with the GK showing up they would have either been mind wiped, forgetting the incident, or been killed. you might want the GK doing the latter until Titus protested and then they chose the former, although not the most secure method, but if not then the 2nd and 3rd companies sacrifices would have been in vain. Just a thought.

·
Craw-Daddy
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Differenciates on the situation. Normally a normal space marine has too much pride to submit to someone. In this case though, we are talking about the inquisition, and even during after the First War for Armageddon, Logan Grimnar could only do so much for its population. I actually feel I should stick to the idea, Chapter Master Titus isn't really submitting but taking advantage of this situation. With Logan Grimnar arguing with the Inquisitor, he is able to take replacements for his lost marines. If you read Son's of Dorn, the astartes are actually pretty well able to weed out humans who do not have the strength in mind and body to become astartes. With those "little machines (i like to call it) and the chaplains, they are able to do this. I don't want to be too specific because I wouldn't want the how part to be longer than the details of their part in the war itself, but I will look it over if needs further explaination.

As for the First War of Armageddon, you are right, the Inquisition actually turned the whole population into slaves and/or whipped off the face of existance. This fluff is more of an alternative ending that I did with my made up chapter, to give a little hope to the story as the Steel Knights were able to save those souls strong enough to withstand their witness of the taint of chaos and become part of a chapter founded from the most loyal of primarchs. It also gives a little hope to the losses of the chapter, as these new souls and veterans of the first war of Armageddon may become to replace those losses of the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd companies.

And yes this chapter is a work in progress, thank you for the comments, I will be back on tonight.

·
Craw-Daddy
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Making this chapter has been exceptionally tedious. I just added another notable battle for this chapter but I'm running out of ideas for a chapter in the Astartes Praeses. Most of these wars and battle will most likely be all against chaos because of what they are. I'm also running out of names for my captains. Any suggestions guys? I'm looking for some historical type names. If you guys don't like any of the names I have I'm actually open for ideas. Except for Cryxis and Titus. Those shall remain:p

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
I have to say I'm seeing two things that make it so i'm not 'feeling' this Chapter- the fact that they're a 2nd Founding (very cliche) but somehow also a part of the Astartes Praeses, and the second point is their involvement in the First War for Armageddon. Why?

It's been documented that the Space Wolves were the only Chapter, excluding the GK contingent, to answer Armageddon's calls for aid in time- I don't understand the need to include the Steel Knights in that, surely there are other conflicts you could have chose that would be more plausible.

On the other hand I think the Beliefs of the Chapter are well handled, a pleasant alternative to most chapters without being too different (i.e. fan-fic crazy).

·
Craw-Daddy
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I have to say I'm seeing two things that make it so i'm not 'feeling' this Chapter- the fact that they're a 2nd Founding (very cliche) but somehow also a part of the Astartes Praeses, and the second point is their involvement in the First War for Armageddon. Why?

It's been documented that the Space Wolves were the only Chapter, excluding the GK contingent, to answer Armageddon's calls for aid in time- I don't understand the need to include the Steel Knights in that, surely there are other conflicts you could have chose that would be more plausible.

On the other hand I think the Beliefs of the Chapter are well handled, a pleasant alternative to most chapters without being too different (i.e. fan-fic crazy).
I kind of like the 1st War for Armageddon's fluff, and the fact that unlike most wars little is known of it. But I didn't know that there is fluff the specifically state there was only one chapter. That is good to know. I will probably change that.

Thanks for the comments. I will make changes when I can. As I said though its kind of hard making semi decent stories. Do you guys have any cool historical names? I'm looking for one to fill in at least my First Company so I can make a better notable battle.

the fact that they're a 2nd Founding (very cliche) but somehow also a part of the Astartes Praeses
- It is possible as the White Consuls are Second Founding and part of the Astartes Praeses. I also prefer the mystery around the Second Founding than the the tampered geneseeds of the primarchs. After all the Ultramarines geneseed is the most pure of the legions.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
ya i like the chapter, doesnt have the "it" factor that makes it awesome & start-able collecting/gaming wise. but a nice little blerb.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I must say that I like their beliefs the most. I think you should write a piece of fluff as if it were written by Titus himself, something like a sermon be giving before the start of a great battle and its got to be very fanatical and religious just like how you said "the great divinity of the Emperor" and "Sins of the Imperium"

Very nice +rep :victory:

·
Registered
198 Posts
a loyal chapter known as the Angels of Violet had been asked by the High Lord's of Terra for samples of their gene-seed.
Why were they not giving it to the AdMech so they could check for corruption etc.

New'quil made a pact with Slaanesh that he would sacrifice the gene-seed of whomever Chapter Master would come and face him.
he turns to Chaos because someone asked his for a sample of his gene-seed? sounds like your trying to make something out of nothing.

return honor to the Imperium from a newly formed sin
one does not acquire honour from a sin, but killing the sinners would help immensely

Knowing that the Angels of Violet were a chapter very fond of close quarters he knew that his forces could ill hold the lines
theres no need in the word 'knew' as its implied, for he knows the chapter are fond of close quarters

let along he only had 500 Astartes including his First Company.
should that not be let alone?

Titus had to win this battle by tactic
tactics. just a tactic is not going to win anything, except the minty fresh breath award, wait thats a tictac.

The only forces that remained now where Titus himself and his First Company led by Captain Glacious
The only forces that remained now are where Titus himself and his First Company is led by Captain Glacious

They would all be gunned up by gunships
gunships? thunderhawks? you didn't mention gunships in the fray

He fell to his knees as a knife found himself in his gut
that doesn't make sense

I think you need to recheck your punctuation as a few sentences don't make sense either
which were virtually nothing of a company anymore New'quil vowed to tear Titus to pieces.

Also, theres a few sentances that are too short to be sentances and could be tied onto another, as they don't add anything themselves but will increase the descriptiveness of the events happening, such as
Stitched Scars could be seen all over his disgusting face
which follows "...stitched face."

I criticize because i care, tough love :blush:

·
Craw-Daddy
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Its been some time since I've added anything. So I got off my ass and started to add some more to my Chapter. The Atonement. A couple of you were interested in the 5th Captain's fate. So I decided to enlighten. It's actually kind of hard. I'm not in the crazy zealous mindset I'm usually in. So hopefully I can add a bit more zeal and detail towards this battle. So enjoy the little intro.

The Moment of Atonement

Captain Cryxis' failures at Plansisco had dwelled in his heart for a century and a half. For the longest time since then his company had been sent back to the home to the Dianon System. It had been much time since a whole company had dwelled in a system for that long, and there was much talk throughout the Chapter. The more company proud Astartes claimed that they were being punished for their failure, while those more sympathetic towards the 5th Company had simply dismissed this as a company recovery period. The second was probably more accurate, though to say there was no disappointment from the Chapter Master would be quite inaccurate. In fact, Cryxis had not recieved any word from Chapter Master Titus ever since he was left in the system. Instead getting contact second handed by the other Captains.

It had truly given the chapter quite a hit on its honor. Abaddon had created havoc through his Black Crusade. What had been a Chapter who had gained reputation even amongst the First Founding Chapters had gained the reputation and the cover for those "Unreliable Chapters." This more of a recent trend amongst the more successful Chapters in the Imperium.

The day had come and word had come to Captain Cryxis, his time for atonement had come. Chapter Master Titus himself had spoken to Captain Cryxis and his new Company. Words that would strike the 5th Company forever.

"You are all a disgrace to me and MY Chapter. You are an abomination to the Imperium and to the Almighty Emperor himself. But by the Emperor, you will wash the sins off the fields today with your blood. Today you decide the fate of the 5th company. For today, you and the company are an Angels of Death or a blasphemy upon all mankind... and the Emperor himself..."

-Chapter Master Titus' last words before "The Moment of Attonement"

"Emperor! Give us forgiveness for wearing the armor... Give us forgiveness we do not deserve... Grant us the strength to defeat this... SIN... Watch as we bathe in the blood... For with our victory and our dead we use our blood to wash the sins away... Or with our failure and our dead they shall absorb. For the sin cannot win. No matter what... the sin shall fall..."

-Sermon from Captain Cryxis to his 5th Company before "The Moment of Attonement"

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.