Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is my attempt at some fluff in the form of a IA article for my Iron Lords. This is a collaboration of ideas of myself and Animatronica from Warseer who is collecting a Iron Lord strike force too (It was his force that inspired me to start mine). So, that said, please read, critique, comment, reel in disgust. Do as you please :)

Justice! And RETRIBUTION

Index Astartes: Iron Lords

This index astartes article covers one of the lesser known of the 'Codex' Space Marine chapters that fight for the imperium, The Iron Lords chapter.

Origins and Background:
The Iron lords are a marine chapter that in comparison to other chapters, has little written history known outside of it's own librarium. on their home-world. What is known of them however is a resolute and stern chapter that have fought on some of the most dire war-zones across the eastern fringe.

Of what is written, nothing is known of which founding they were created, nor from which gene-seed. The home world of Sternac lies deep on the eastern fringe, which leads scribes and imperial officials to believe the most probable gene-seed candidate would be that of the Ultramarines (given that Macragge is the closest major donor of gene-seed material to start new marine chapters). The Iron Lords share a lot of traits with that of the Ultramarines, but share similarities to that of the Imperial Fists. These additional similarities leads to others believe a mixture of the two is possible, but would require gene-seed examination to prove or disprove this logic.

The Iron Lords hold a vigil over the eastern fringe of the galaxy, and in doing so have been engaged in fierce fighting with Xenos that infest the eastern shores of the Imperium. At a time when Hive Fleet Kraken assaulted the Eastern shore of the Imperium, the Iron Lords had extra impetus to destroy the Barghesi, knowing that if the Tyranids harvested the Barghesi's bioligical destructive abilities the Imperium would surely be doomed.

To this day, Iron Lord companies engage the tendrils of Hive Fleets to hold back the tide of infestation; their ground assaults and ship to ship boarding exercises making them some of the best Tyranid hunters in the Imperium. Because of this, the Iron Lords are known to be Xenocidal, completely untrusting and unforgiving regarding any and all alien races.

Homeworld:
The home-world of the Iron Lords is Sternac, which lies galactic north-east of Macragge and north of where the space born chapter of the Omega marines patrol. Sternac is a large mineral wealthy planet with a stable atmosphere similar to Macragge, with two heavily armed moons to patrol the space around the planet. Because it is on the far edge of the known system, the planet needs to be as self contained as possible, with huge forge factories operating to keep the planet going and the Marine forces supplied with munitions and armour. Manufactorums on Sternac have been granted permission to build Rhino transport vehicles on the planet itself, but all other armour has to be sent in from other forgeworlds in the vicinity. The where-abouts of these vicinities, like a lot to do with the Iron Lords, is known only to themselves.

Sternac is obviously a breeding ground for the Iron Lords themselves, but Sternac also fulfils the necessary quotas of troops to raise planetary defence forces, as well as other forces to be inducted into imperial guard regiments in the surrounding area. Those who aren't inducted into the forces, work for the war effort; growing food, building munitions, factories, anything for the war effort. The local governments run a firm but fair operation for the workforce, with very little geared to anything but the Imperial war effort.

Organisation and Doctrine:
The organisation of the Iron Lords is very orthodox, and follows the Codex Astartes very closely. Only a few small derivations exist, that the Chapter Master of the Iron Lords leads the 1st Company with his honour guard (picked from members who excel even in the 1st company itself). This removes a 1st company Captain, but combines the Masters Headquarters and the elite of the chapter.

When the Iron Lords go to war they do not usually enter warzones as complete companies, but as Strike Forces. The Chapter Master will warrant one of the fighting Company Captains (2-5) to build a strike force using his company with support from the reserve and scout companies. The Chapter Master will also select members of his 1st Company, while the Master of the Forge will select appropriate armoured support. Members of the Librarium will also be sent at the High Librarians digression.

The chapter colours are black with a dark crimson covering their legs. The only other colour on their armour is a golden stripe going front to back across their helmets. The colour of the stripe would originally indicate which company the marine was fighting in, but this was changed for fear of enemies ability to identify fighting units.

The Iron Lords chapter icon is a mailed fist held in front of a white halo, with all tactical markings displayed in white to compliment the halo. With this, many battle brothers will also write their own personal oaths onto their armour in the same white colour.

Geneseed:
Iron Lord Geneseed is of unknown origin, with similar traits seen to both the Imperial Fists and Ultramarine chapters. No known testing of the gene-seed itself has been done, but those who have fought alongside the Iron Lords have shown nothing but respect and admiration for their calm head in battle, showing no real possible genetic behavioural concerns.

That said, if anything were to be of concern regarding the gene-seed, the might of the Inquisition would fall upon Sternac with no remorse. Purist Inquisitors have worked with the Iron Lords according to Imperial records, which lead to believe no concerns or problems are evident,with whatever gene-seed they are made from being pure and of stable footing.

Recruitment:
Iron Lords mainly take new recruits from Sternac, but will also take recruits from worlds they encounter on their missions. The bulk of recruits are from their home-world, but if any possible recruits on their travels catch the eye of the sergeants amongst the force, they are taken off world for further testing and then, if deemed acceptable, into the recruitment trials.

Beliefs:
The Iron Lords only show belief in the god-emperor, and do not show faith to any of the main Primarchs of the well known chapters. This is perhaps due to their unknown origin, or believe that only the Emperor could be praised, and any Primarch, though noble and highly praised they are, can't be seen in the same light as the God Emperor himself.

Notable Actions:
Second War for Armageddon (941. M41 – 956. M41):
2nd, 3rd, 7th and 8th Companies were assigned to the defence of Hive Tempestora, repelling Ork attacks with Steel Legion, Mordian, Cadian and Jopaal armoured companies. Elements of the 2nd Company remained stationed at Tempestora until 956.M41.
Third War for Armageddon (991.M41 – Present):
2nd Company returned with 6th and 9th companies to Tempestora, fighting alongside Salamander, Black Templar and Blood Angel forces. Huge losses at the height of the defence, 2nd Company still reeling from the losses.
Zeist Campaign (997. M41):
Elements of the Iron Lords Devastator company supported Ultramarines, aswell as other well known chapters such as the Silver Skulls, Knights of the Raven, Crimson Fists and the Aurora Chapter in the aggression against Tau expansion.
Task Force Hebenus Exitus (999. M41 - Present):
4th Company Strike Force were involved in the defence of the Scarus Sector during the 13th Black Crusade against numerous Ork Waaghs! As the campaign went on, further larger elements of the Chapter were drawn from Sternac and other on-going missions to support the defence. Elements of the original Strike Force are still in place around Thracian Primaris to help Imperial Guard armies and local PDF's to root out Ork nests which lie deep in the hives that carry out sabotage and hit and run attacks against patrols.

Battle-Cry:
(Answer and call)
Justice! AND RETRIBUTION!

Special Characters:
Captain Casur Arias, Master of the March 5th Company
Captain Casur Arias is the acting 5th Company Captain, and has been in the fifth company throughout his time as a Battle Brother. Arias served regular service via Devastator, then Tactical squads until eventually leading his own Tactical squad for a century. After the 3rd War for Armageddon, he was promoted to the Company Command Squad, where he served time as the honoured Company Champion; seeking out enemy generals and laying them low for the glory of his Company and Chapter.

His promotion to Fifth Company Captain occurred shortly after the Third Armageddon conflict where the company was sent to a small system near Sternac, where a Waagh under the command of a Ork named 'WarpToof' caused disturbances close to home. Arias's Company and support assisted Ultramarines and marines of the Genesis chapter in their attempts to halt this growing invasion.

Nearly five months into the engagement, the Ordo Malleus intervened under the command of Inquisitor Vancrex, where he explained to the acting Commanders that daemons had infested within this Waagh, and the particular strain of infestation was one he had been studying for nearly a century, and all signs of the Emperors Tarot led to his final answers here. He promised that his force will root out the infestation and help end the war quickly, before a huge Daemon waagh manifested.

After two further months of fighting, the war came to a head when WarpToof identified himself to the Imperial Forces. A huge four eyed, six limbed dark green Ork attacked the Inquisitors forces and seriously wounded the Inquisitor. Arias jumped into the action with the company Librarian, Epistolary Shivon, utilising his psychic powers to interfere with the daemonic Ork and his protege of Tzeentch ork warriors.

Vancrex's personal Stormtroopers kept the Ork warriors at bay while Shivon and Arias fought the monster. Shivon fought desperately to find a ***** in the psychic armour, until finally the Librarian sent a shockwave through the daemonic warriors, causing the mob to falter, which gave the Stormtroopers and 5th Company battle brothers to form up ranks and form devastating firing lines which turned the no mans land into deadly zones of cross fire. Warptoof was much stronger and was only stunned, but it gave enough time for Vancrex to utilise a secret weapon that he had been developing for this moment. He withdrew a pistol like weapon which fired a bright blue beam which struck the creature, causing it to roil in agony until eventually brought to it's knees, where the Inquisitor beheaded the creature with his sword.

The Inquisitor recovered after the conflict and led his force with elements of the Iron Lords and Genesis Chapter deep into the Ork rok that housed the monstrosity, and finally found what he had been working towards; a obsidian stone that the Inquisitor removed and reported to his peers. Before he left the system, he gifted a Imperial Aquila amulet to Casur Arias to help further his destruction of the Emperors enemies. What happened to the Inquisitor after this, no one knows but the Ordo Malleus.

Using Captain Casur Arias in games of Warhammer 40,000:
Points Cost:
WS:6 BS:5 S: 4/6 T: 4 W: 3 I: 5 A: 3 LD: 10 S: 2+,3++
Wargear: Barding of Sternac, Tempest, Shield of Arnam, Digital Weapons.
Barding of Sternac: This armour counts as Artificer Armour in game
Shield of Arnam: Named after a legendary Iron Lord 1st Company Captain, the shield of Arnam is a huge shield designed in the shape of the Crux Terminatus, a golden skull with a white stripe down the centre of it. In game, the Shield counts as a Storm Shield.
Tempest: This weapon counts as a Relic Blade.

Let me know what you think

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
So far so good, you've not gone overboard making the Iron Lords a 'dark & cursed' chapter, sticking to the available fluff and building on it is a great idea.

I checked Insignium Astartes for you to see if there was any info on the Iron Lords- apparently their helmet stripe denotes Company- just like the Ultramarines/Imperial Fists etc use Shoulder Trim- so your pic would I imagine be a Tactical Marine from 5th Squad, 2nd Company (I'm guessing that's what the '5' stands for).
As with all projects feel free to utilise this info or not, in fact in Insignium Astartes it says that heraldry and markings change over time, in fact the Codex even recommends it so that enemies don't become accustomed to deciphering what the symbols mean, so maybe your Iron Lords have dispensed with the Helmet Stripe denoting Company.

Adding to their campaigns you might want to include the Zeist Campaign alongside the Ultramarines and 8 other Chapters:- Zeist Campaign

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Baron. Thanks a lot for replying to my fluff.

The main goal for this first post was to do exactly that; build a firm foundation with nothing really too flashy or edgy. Just something solid to build from. I like that you've seen my approach, it justifies and confirms my ideas.

As for the stripe, it was something me and Animatronica discussed over on Warseer; his Iron Lords have the stripe depicting his company. After looking at the way Imperial Fists and Ultramarines depict 5th company, it would mean a black stripe. So a black stripe on a black helmet would simply be a black helmet, so I decided in my part of the Iron Lords history, the gold stripe depicts just the fact they are iron lords, or maybe a rite of passage into being a fully fledged space marine.

And I will take on the Zeist campaign data, I want to build a notable actions section, so this will be a good place to start.

Thanks again for looking, I will update it when it's ready and i'll let you know.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Don't listen to him Kobrakai- the fact that your chapter isn't a walking cliche like most of the shitty homebrew chapters I see (oh my marines are descended from the traitor/lost legions, cursed/dark founding, or have some incredibly strange trait) actually makes it more unique and interesting rather than less so.

It's just cool to see a Chapter of actual Astartes rather than a force of 'super-awesome warriors who like totally kick everyone's arse but they're also really secret and...'- just stop there and get lost I don't want to hear it.

Imagine your Chapter as being a well written block buster and your 'competition' to be dire B-movies directed by Uwe Boll.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know what you meant Cain, and I understand; even the likes of the Imperial Fists have slight differences to make them interesting. I'll see if I can maybe put some modest slight changes here and there, just to keep the article a bit more appealing :)

·
description whore
2,864 Posts
I agree with baron, it's bad ass but not overwhelmingly so, though i must admit i expected them to by from the iron hands however your method works ecquisitely.

If you intend to extend this I'd like a little information on the master of the forge the chapter master and other notable figures, just a little background, like an rp charactor really, there personalities and the tiny quirks of there own company. Do they have a predilection towards a certain unit etc.

Also i wondered why that battle cry, it made me think why? Is there a history behind it perhaps there first campaign or the words of a chapter master, im not sure i think there could be a little story behind it

Overall its a fantastic start and is an article in its own right however those are areas that i'd like to see developed personally

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
nice start kobrakai

personally id like to see a lil' bit of personality with the Lords, but your not there yet it seems :(

any chance of a rival(s) within or outside the chapter? (other than nids)

for example company a & b dont like each other much & therefor try to out compete each other - or some xeno/heretic stole something & something else happened...

anyways...keep it coming

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey guys.

I've made a series of changes to the article. The current changes are made in blue, I hope that isn't a problematic colour to use for the changes. After a few responses I will change it back to the normal text (Just wanted to outline what had been changed)

Let me know what you all think of the changes. Let me know if they make no sense, or are too over the top, or need more explaining. All in all, let me know :)

·
Death Before Dishonour
1,430 Posts
Very nice updates Kob. Nice explanation of the Company colours, and subsequent changes. Though it seems someone broke a mirror, everyone Argus contacts is KIA :laugh: which isnt a negative thing.

Argus is a really nice interesting character, a man who becomes a marine, only to find himself in dire circumstances, where he faces the psychological challenge of having to pick up leadership positions to get his comrades through many critical situations. A solid character for a solid army.

Look forward to your next update Kob.

Grish

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Hey guys.

As of late, aspects of my army (army list, this fluff and the painting in the project log) have all gone astray. I'm going to re-start doing stuff to this and make it a more complete read.

Maybe see if I can make a 'House rules' codex too, just for funsies! :)

I'm going to re-do a few things which I think are strung out, don't make sense, or just are plain silly, and then re-write things to make it more like a proper IA article.

Thanks to everyone for their help so far, there is more to come.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey guys.

The original article is now updated, some bits moved around hopefully to make more sense, and i've added a few special character write ups and house rules.

Hope you like them, but let me know if you don't of course :)

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Some nice work you have going on here, Kobrakai. There is the odd rough bit, but mostly, it is fine from what I can see. The characters are both pretty cool, and I would definately like to see more from them, whether in fiction form or not. They are unique, but not unique enough so that they can be called upon as absurd. Obviously I can't comment on the points or anything, due to me not being a gamer, but fluff wise, it certainly is enjoyable. Plus rep mate, keep up the good work :)

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi guys.

This has been ages since a re-vamp, but it's been done.

Let me know what you all think :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts