Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This came up in a game today and I wasn't sure if it was done correctly.

What happened was the necrons attacked the space wolves, The group was ragnar and a unit he was attached to. The necrons beat them down with enough wounds to kill all of them outright (warscythes) and my friend claimed that since he attacked the squad instead of the independent character that ragnar lives and everyone else in the group died.

I know it says in core rule book that you can choose to assault an independent instead of the squad but if he decides to attack the squad outright does ragnar still take hits too?

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Ragnar does not take hits, but he would need to take a moral check or additional armour saves for losing combat. You can't spread 'overkill' between multiple units if the unit you put all your attacks on get wiped out. ICs are their own unit during CC, but then join again for end of combat resolution like moral checks.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Hmmm, I am curious about this tho. The Necrons assaulted the SW, the SW did a charge reaction, maybe with counterattack. Did Ragnar not make it into btb? Or put another way, were any of the Necron models in btb with Ragnar and not in btb with the other SW. If so, any models in btb with Ragnar must attack him instead of the SW. Just seems kinda curious since IC rules pretty much require Ragnar to get into btb if possible.

·
Registered
190 Posts
any models in btb with Ragnar must attack him instead of the SW. Just seems kinda curious since IC rules pretty much require Ragnar to get into btb if possible.
I don't think this is true. IC's have to get to B2B in order to fight but any model within 2" of one in B2B with a unit (in this case either the IC or the squad) should be able to fight it.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I don't think this is true. IC's have to get to B2B in order to fight but any model within 2" of one in B2B with a unit (in this case either the IC or the squad) should be able to fight it.
OK, let me rephrase since I did leave out one important word. Models in btb with ONLY Ragnar must attack Ragnar. This is per the GW Main Rulbook FAQ:
Errata​
Page 41 – Multiple Combats, Attacking.
A third bullet point should be added, as follows:
• Models that at the beginning of the combat
(before any model attacked) were engaged with
more than one enemy unit, but were in base
contact with just one of the enemy units, must
attack that unit.

So, were there no Necrons in btb with ONLY Ragnar? Seems kind of odd if there weren't given the charge reaction rules, the IC rule that he has to go in first if possible, the assault rules that he would have to reach a model taht is not in btb if possible, etc etc. I just find it odd that all attacks were allocated to the SW and none to Ragnar................

Regarding what you posted, yes, any model not in btb but within 2" of a friendly model that is in btb with an enemy model is engaged with and may attack that enemy model's unit. If engaged in such a fashion with more than one unit, it may attack either unit and may even split it's attacks (if it has more than one). Course, that's not what I was asking/posting about............................

1 - 6 of 6 Posts