Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have red a few BL books and want to buy more but i don't know which ones i should buy
the ones i already have are
Malakith,Shadow king,The entire Word Bearers serie,The first heretic,The malus darkblade books,Horus rising.

As you might have noticed i prevere books with the 'evil' guys as main characters.
any sugestions are welcome.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Warhammer 40,000, with antagonistic protagonists (If that is even grammatically feasible): Soul Hunter (Please don't engage me in a debate as to whether or not the Night Lords aboard the Covanent of Blood were evil, or perspective-evil...), Storm of Iron... essentially Iron Warriors doing what they do best... Salamander for the occassional glimpse of the Dragon Warriors; a unique Chaos Warband... and perhaps Blood Gorgons*, in the future, with its unique synopsis, and the -quite simply- awesome World Eater-esque Astartes upon the cover, brandishing his chainaxe and serving a steaming hot cup of bitch-slapping...

*Zou's strength (Yes, lack of plural here) is his visera-dripping action-sequences. So Zou + Badass Legion/Warband + Chainaxes = Win.

Fantasy: The Thanquol and Boneripper series seem's highly spoken-of, though... I can't really confirm or disclaim this... though why on earth is Boneripper mentioned? Isn't he more cyborg(rat) than... well, whatever in Sigmar's name he used to be? Um... Vampire Wars as I'm sure Dark Angel has spoken of, the Nagash Trilogy is impressive and I simply adore the Sigmar Trilogy, with Empire featuring some nice plot-twists and evilness...

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
For the love of jesus, read Heldenhammer. One of the best, and most entertaining, BL books I have ever read. Only one fault, that I care to mention, be prepared for a lot of head shots.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Daemon world is well worth a pick up!

Blood for the blood god is a good fantasy book! not exceptional but a good read none the less,

·
Registered
184 Posts
Lord of the Night is an older Night Lords book. Also Fulgrim and Legion are good as well.

·
Registered
90 Posts
If your into audio books I just finished listening to Aenarion while painting and thought it was great. Much better voice acting and sound effects than usual

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
The Word Bearers series is a very good, focuses around the bad guys, it contains Dark Apostle, Dark Disciple and Dark Creed, so if you can find it get it now. I would also recommend Soul Hunter, start of a brilliant series, or the Horus Heresy series, truly fantastic.

The Tome of Fire trilogy is also a great series not just for the Sons of Vulkan, the Dragon Warriors are among my favourite bad guys of 40k, mainly because they look positively badass, they are tough as hell and one of the more likeable Chaos Space Marine warbands.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
You are officially Lord of the Night's bitch, Cain. And I shall tease you for eternity for such... :laugh:
Hahaha, he recognizes good advice when he sees it.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Don't tell Gotrek...:biggrin:

·
Registered
36 Posts
I recommend....
The Horus Heresy series (with the exception of "Descent of Angels", THE weakest novel in the whole series so far and the only Warhammer 40k book that made me say "meh")
Both the Eisenhorn and Ravenor Series (Excellent novels about kickass Inquisitors and read them in THAT order too...Esienhorn series first then Ravenor)
I liked both Space Wolves Omnibuses, I thought they were interesting and fun to read
I also recommend the Wordbearers Trilogy as well...very cool to read a series from a The Chaos Marines point of view (I got a kick out of the fact that two of the main characters of this trilogy are mentioned in one of the short stories in the "Heresies" Novel set during the Horus Heresy/Great Crusade before the Chapter was subsumed by chaos)

·
Registered
507 Posts
I concur with earlier poster in almost all except HH worst book. Horus Heresy series is maybe the best, except that Descent of Angel book isnt the worst, Battle for the Abyss is or even part 2 of DoA, Fallen Angels. Just people who expect only Bolter action usually dont like it. Mitchell´s writing style is quite ok and he offers only unique viewpoint of Primarch not yet found by emperor. BftA is also maybe the worst BL book i read ever.

Try get following:

Gothic War - maybe best fleet action book there is
HH series - as you already have first book, continue there in order
Soul hunter - Night lords, really good book
Lord of the night - a Night Lord, this is quite interesting "hero"

Others:

Space Wolf omnibus - Tried read it again after so many years, but this isnt really so great afterall
Gaunts Ghosts - Quite ok, only read first 2 omnibuses
Eisenhorn, Ravenor - These are just great
Ultramarines omnibus - Started great, went downhill seriously after first 3 books

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Most sugestions are quite good apart from the HH books whom I just find uterly boring to read thus I not give it an other chance but I will look into a few of the other books.
:shok:... HOW CAN THE HERESY BE BORING?!?!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts