Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is thread to offer suggestions for modifications to make bad/medicore units competitive.

I will start with codex marine honour guard.

Firstly remove artificer armour and knock them down to 30 points a pop. ( base unit is now 100 pts).

Then add the following options in addition to what is available.

artificer armour + 5 pts per model

5+ invulnurable save +5 pts per model

Jump packs +10 pts per model

Furious charge +5 pts per model

Preferred enemy +5 pts per model

Feel no Pain +5 pts per model

I might do other units later.

feel free to add your own improvement suggestions to units.

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
Alright I got one for possessed that a few chaos players might agree with.

Give them frag grenades, either built in because its not like they are cheap by any means, or for an additional point per mode. Because at one point each, its not so bad even if they are coming in line with the price of chaos terminators.

·
Registered
488 Posts
For Imperial Guard:
Priest - WS3>WS4, Cost 45>35, Righteous Fury affects all IG non-vehicles.
Techpriest - Cost 45>35.
Commissar - Now an Independent Character.
Rough Riders - Now have Fleet, are affected by Creed's Tactical Genious.
Storm Troopers - May have up to four special weapons.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Vanguard Veterans now come with jump packs.

Shooty Terminators can now take 2 heavy weapons while only 5 and increase the number to 4 once they reach 10 men.

Legion of the Damned now have feel no pain.

Techmarines now have 2 wounds.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
venomthrope: get rid of the ballistic skill cause it doesn't have a gun and up its weapon skill to the same level of its old ballistic skill. i mean really, copy and paste the zoanthorpe stat line or what GW?

mawloc: give it at least as many attacks as the trygon...and allow it to attack the turn it comes in. maybe increase points, but as stands, it is a joke.

pyrovore: place flame template anywhere within 12" of the pyrovore. short end to long end in straight line from pyrovore gun. love the concept of this guy. was sad that it sucked so hard.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Chaos spawn, Greater Daemon, Lesser Daemon: All members of the unit gain the Chaos mark of your choice for 20 points (note: Giving the mark of Slaanesh to a squad of spawn will not increase their initiative, but instead removes their "slow and purposeful" rule)

Lesser Daemons with a Mark of Chaos, may only be summoned to an icon of the same god, or a personal Icon of the appropriate Cult troop.

Something along those lines would be nice to see.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Chaos space marines (Why do they have 3 all most unplayable units anyway?)

Spawn Possible fixes: Either,or
1) Make them 10pts cheaper
2) Give them some sort of save, or make them able to take a mark.

Possessed: Either or
1) Reduce cost so its not such a investment for something that may just end up as a over priced super marine that has lost all their weapons.
2) Give them 2 CCW's (This is mainly do to how retarded the idea of them not having dual wield is when their attacking with their hand....all two of them)
3) Next codex bring back the option to select and buy your enhancements, or if you want to make it random make the random roles more useful (Seriously scouting is usless if their in a rhino, and at their cost you would have to mentally challenged to foot slog them).
4) GOD DAMN ASSAULT GRENADES!

CSM Dreadnoughts:
1) Bring back the old idea that going insane generated usfull benifits, to of set the liability they presented> (Seriously no one gives a damn if you gain fleet for a single turn if you have to idiotically run straight at the enemy even if their 10 inches away).
2) If you want to keep the current idiotic crazed rule then make them 15pts cheaper to make them practical as suicide units).
3) Give them specialized wargear option no one else has to make them actually worth the liability they possess. Like three main weapons or some crazy DCCW.

Sommoned daemons.
Their actually not that bad a unit, but they are not really worth their cost in most cases.
1)Make them 1 pt cheaper, to make them applicable for swarm CC tactics.
2) Allow them to take CSM mark equivalents (Because with the new D codex we aren't getting any actual daemons back)

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
1) Reduce cost so its not such a investment for something that may just end up as a over priced super marine that has lost all their weapons.

3) Next codex bring back the option to select and buy your enhancements, or if you want to make it random make the random roles more useful (Seriously scouting is usless if their in a rhino, and at their cost you would have to mentally challenged to foot slog them).
1. Considering what you get for possessed over normal chaos marines for eleven points, its not all that bad.

I mean, for about eleven points you get: fearless, +1 strength, +1 ld, and an invulnerable save, and a toss up of furious charge, fleet, rending, fnp, power weapons, or scouts (the only actual useless roll of the six.) What do you give up for that? A single 12" S4 attack. (Plus the bolter, but how much more likely are you to use that over charging and the pistol?)

3. Other than the roll of one, which I completely agree with as being the most useless thing you can get with them, all of the other daemonkin results are pretty fucking good. I mean think about it, you get furious charge and then on the charge you have a S6, I5, A3 marine with an invulnerable save, fleet can give you that last push you need, S5 A3 rending is no joke, FNP speaks for itself, and S5 A3 power weapons? And all of those are without use of any of the icons; price aside, how useful are any of those with a boost to A, I, or T?

As for the dreds, honestly I think you could make them a unit of 3 for about 150 points and people still wouldn't take them. (Though thats more because they would then have to buy three.) From what I've seen and experienced with that unit, its a matter of learning how to use and deploy it properly to offset the crazed rule, something many people overlook or ignore and then are quick to write the dred off because it has a note of unpredictability.

Some daemonic or warped options for dreds would be interesting though. Daemon prince dreadnought anyone?:laugh:

·
Registered
491 Posts
Tau Fire Warrior:

Improve BS to 4. These guys train from the cradle to fire their rifles to the exclusion of close combat; they don't deserve to have the same skill at it as a gaunt or a penal legion puke! Alternatively, make markelights cheaper and Assault 1 intead of Heavy 1. Add the option of having 1 guy in a 10-man squad to get either a Rail rifle or a twin-linked flamer.

Kroot: Shaper comes with a power weapon.

·
Registered
491 Posts
1. Considering what you get for possessed over normal chaos marines for eleven points, its not all that bad.

I mean, for about eleven points you get: fearless, +1 strength, +1 ld, and an invulnerable save, and a toss up of furious charge, fleet, rending, fnp, power weapons, or scouts (the only actual useless roll of the six.)
It's not so much the efficacy but the fct that there are other units that do it better for less and with better options (a problem that permeates the entire codex.). The Inc save is too much a long shot to be worth it, especially for footsloggers that will be trounced as they walk along the board. Fleet is not really that great in this mechanized metagame and doesn't fix the previous issue. And, as always, lack of grenades makes them potentially be awful at what they should excel at.

For this price, these guys need Deepstriking ability (fuffy given their daemon nature), flamers (keeps with their close-range aspect and also fluffy), as well as just being able to purchase the special rule you want instead of rolling. Otherwise it's just better to use zerkers.

The idea of a Dreadnaught Daemon Prince is too awesome for words, though.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
One more:

Swooping Hawks:
- Lasblaster is now S5 AP4
- Hawk's Talon is now S6 AP3
- Grenade Pack is now S7
- I might use them now.
why don't we make them free too, or even better, you gain an extra 15 points each when you use them.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Well, some guy wants to give Legion of the Damned feel no pain with a 3++ :laugh:
LotD need to be more killy than anything else.

For LotD, yo could...

reduce additional damned legionnaires point cost to 25.
Sergeant comes default with PW.
All boltguns are relentless.
Reduce individual wargear costs by 5 points each.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts