Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Imperial Knights is my established 1500 pt Space Marine list and I wanted to get some feedback and ideas as I work on building my 2000 and 2500 pt lists.

The Imperial Knights are a Dark Angels based army symbolically and fluff wise, having been founded out of a mostly Terran Chapter after the heresy. In rules, it is much more similar to a Salamanders army list I think, even using Vulkan.

Here's my 1500

Hq:
Vulkan He'stan - 190

Elites:
7 Terminators with Thunderhammers and Stormshields - 280
10 Sternguard with 2 Meltaguns, 2 Combi-Meltas, and a meltabomb in a drop pod - 305
Dreadnought with Multimelta in a drop pod - 140

Troops:
10 man tactical squad with a multi-melta - 175
5 man Combat Squad, Sergeant has a combi-melta - 100

Fast Attack:
Attack Bike with Multi-Melta - 50

Dedicated Transport:
Land Raider Crusader with Multi-Melta - 260

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
change the melta guns on your stern guard to combi weapons. You do not want to give up the special ammo. Look at a combi flamer as well.

Your 2 scoring units are foot slogging it. Also did you take the free flamer as well in the 10 man squad?

I would drop the at-bike and get a rhino or razorback

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've played it both ways for the Sternguard, and want to keep the two regular meltaguns, since they're the same price. I mostly use them to drop behind enemy vehicles early on and knock them out. If any survive, I normally want more melta shots since Vulkan makes them twin linked.

I hadn't thought of the free flamer, but I'll go ahead and add it.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
you have way too many points in your Elites.

if this list works for you in most settings, don't change it, but between the TH/SS termies, their LR and the Sternguard you're leaving without eniough points for tactical squads.

if you don't play objective based games, but in most standard missions, you'll be screwed. a single flamer can kill your scouts, your tact squad only has a MM. the single attack bike equals and easy kill point for your opponent. it's always better to take them in squadrons or attach them to regular bike squads.

good hunting.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No scouts in this list. I've been looking at dropping the attack bike because of it's middling performance, but every time I think it's my last game for it, it runs really well and takes out something worth 3x+ its points.

it is a really heavy elite army, however I've had extremely good success with the list as a whole, having used it almost every thursday since the beginning of May. Even in objective based games, the troops hold one objective while the terimies and sternguard take out the enemies objectives.

I hope to have my 2000pt list up here in the coming week

·
Registered
220 Posts
I might think to make it 2k with a bit more troops and land speeders, and squeezing your troop choices in rhino/razorback transports.. mobility, cover, your troops get tea!, what more could you ask for?!

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
Inquisitor Malaclypse tends to be very diplomatic in how he structures his advice... I will attempt to be more direct.

I'm assuming that since you're posting it here you're looking for advice on how to make it more competative... (If not, then please ignore)

This list has very little survivablity against a balanced list. You have so many points sunk into your Elites that you don't have any left over for "stuff that shoots"

You are relying on a sucker punch via your pods to overwhelm your opponent. It will work against noobs, but should not work consistantly vs good players. Also, your assumption is that your opponent will come to you... Why would they? Especially after your Raider gets popped turn 1.

1 Raider and 1 Melta bike and 2 drop pods do NOT equal survivablity.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Eh, on the topic of competitiveness . . . not really looking for that too much till next spring as I'm thinking of entering 'ard boyz.

Most of what I do is casual play and most importantly, this list has been fun to play. I am however looking for some ideas for my bigger lists.

I've played 1 game so far of 2000pts with my 1500 list at the base of it. here's the list I used with the changes I've made to it since then:

HQ:
Vulkan He'stan 190

Chaplain in Terminator armor 130

Elites:
7 TH/SS termies 280

7 TH/SS termies 280

8 Sternguard with 2 meltaguns and 2 Combi-meltas in a drop pod 245

Troops:

10 Tactical marines with multimelta and flamer 170

10 Tactical Marines with multimelta and flamer 170

The tactical squads are still foot slogging, but for the most part I've kept them back while the termies and sternguard take out the stuff up front.

I've been playing the 1500 against fairly balanced players on all levels and so far only 1 loss for a whole summer's worth of games

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
No scouts in this list.
my mistake; i thought the 5 man combat squad was a Scout squad for some reason. but a five man scoring unit is not even a speed bump.

Inquisitor Malaclypse tends to be very diplomatic in how he structures his advice...
umm..thanks?

it's not about direct or diplomatic. it's more about trying to consider things like play style, model availability, metagame, etc.

of course, the OP of any thread should always mention any stipulations in the first post, but...

i gotta admit, i like the 2nd list you posted a lot. certainly not competitive, but i can see it having some punch. i'd switch out the Chappy for a Libby with Gate of Infinity to move one of your units faster.

good hunting.

·
Registered
48 Posts
you must drop the one drop pod by itself in turn one. don't your sternguard get abused turn 1-2, like every game?

i like the abusive 2 x assault terminator squads. i think overall you're not very mobile. you look very vulnerable to a mobile dakka army of any kind, but I don't know what the other players run at your FLGS/club. and of course, you're doomed against the classic CSM 2xDP lash of submission lists, or hurting against a null zone AP dakka list from an SM, or a RZB spam can cut you down and run around your slogging assault terms.

i'm not hating on your list, i just started running a vulkan list yesterday for the first time ever and i'm loving it. i play my th/ss assault terms for their OP invulnerability, and now with master crafted TH they are downright awesome! i just think you're missing the one ingredient of the four that it takes for a list to be rockstar: the mobility.

overall, i bet this list is a blast to play and pisses off the average player with your 15 guys of 2+3+ near invulnerability. assault terms are one of the SM codex's few exploits. i love it. <3

for 2000 pts, i would add LC and ML. you don't have anything the shoots farther than 24 inches. SM has tons of tasty ranged dakka. get some.

how about 1-2 land raider classics, with pintle MMs? those are awesome on my vulkan list now. the LR power of the machine rule lets me shoot that MM no matter what i move or if i'm stunned or whats happening and against different targets. i can reliably damage or pop two different mech targets in one shooting phase if i don't need to move it. not to mention transport for you assault terms.

also, rhinos for your foot sloggers are a must at 2000 pts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
of course, the OP of any thread should always mention any stipulations in the first post, but...

i gotta admit, i like the 2nd list you posted a lot. certainly not competitive, but i can see it having some punch. i'd switch out the Chappy for a Libby with Gate of Infinity to move one of your units faster.
Sorry . . . should have been more specific . . .

I took a look at using the librarian, but ended up voting it down because the gate of Infinity is a deepstrike and I want my termies to be able to assualt right out of the gate.

I was also thinking of dropping a few more sternguard to give my tactical squads transports. I figure I don't need too many in that squad because I use them as a melta suicide bomb to take out an enemy target right away.

My other thought was to drop a termie or 2 and some of the sternguard (instead of above) to put in an assault squad (vanguard or otherwise) and attach the Termie with Jump pack to that to give me some more speed.

Thoughts?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts