Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, so was just at my local gw (Pompey) and had my first look at the imperial knight dex, very impressive but of course I was mainly checking out the best way to kill the bastards, now I read that at the beginning of the imp knight players turn the owning player has to say in which direction the shield is facing until the start of his next turn my question is this:

If I get the first turn and fire everything I've got at the bastard, will he get his shield save? Because technically he's not said which direction it will be pointing.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Hi guys, so was just at my local gw (Pompey) and had my first look at the imperial knight dex, very impressive but of course I was mainly checking out the best way to kill the bastards, now I read that at the beginning of the imp knight players turn the owning player has to say in which direction the shield is facing until the start of his next turn my question is this:

If I get the first turn and fire everything I've got at the bastard, will he get his shield save? Because technically he's not said which direction it will be pointing.
he will have his shield because it says to do the ion shield when he deployed and at the start of each of the opposing sides shooting phase, so he nominates at the beginning of your shooting phase.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Just space your shots out so that it won't get a save against everything. It will only have it's shields in either the front right or front left (or back left/right if you manage it).

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
The shield protects either the front, the left side, the right side or the rear of the Knight, so you can in theory put stuff in all his arcs and try getting through that way.

Basically clustering all your anti-tank into one side will not help you down a knight.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Cheap melta bombs is the way to take out knights. The most reliable way is hand to hand. Sure you lose the entire assaulting squadron due to reactor meltdown, but it's pretty certain :")

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Cheap melta bombs is the way to take out knights. The most reliable way is hand to hand. Sure you lose the entire assaulting squadron due to reactor meltdown, but it's pretty certain :")
Ork Tank Hunters, massed Nobs with Power Klaws, Repentia, a Couple of Sergeants with Power Fists inside of a massive Guard Blob (and or Melta Bombs), Vector Striking the hell out of them, Guard heavy weapons teams spread out so that there can all aim at a different facing, ect.

There are a lot of ways to kill Super-heavies for sure. It's just that some will cost you the unit when you do it (assuming they don't roll a fair number of 1s to allow you to avoid being wounded by that D-weapon center.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Ork Tank Hunters, massed Nobs with Power Klaws, Repentia, a Couple of Sergeants with Power Fists inside of a massive Guard Blob (and or Melta Bombs), Vector Striking the hell out of them, Guard heavy weapons teams spread out so that there can all aim at a different facing, ect.

There are a lot of ways to kill Super-heavies for sure. It's just that some will cost you the unit when you do it (assuming they don't roll a fair number of 1s to allow you to avoid being wounded by that D-weapon center.
Don't forget Necron Gauss weaponry :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
People still seem to be thinking of 4th Ed D Weapon rules rather than the current 6th Ed rules. Current 6th D Weapons wound Models, not units, meaning no wound pools, no overkill spreading to the rest of the unit. D Weapons are vehicle killers and Monstrous Creature killers, yet are pretty inefficient versus large infantry units.

On the hand, a Knight's Stomp ability makes up for this by following normal wounding rules, which can generate a lot of hits via 1-3 Blast makers hitting in CC.

SJ

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Or if the Blast doesn't scatter/scatters loads, missing most of your dudes. The death explosion is not actually *that* great since if it doesn't scatter, the Destroyer section hits empty space where the Knight used to be, while if it does scatter, it's still likely to miss something (especially if you engage it with a small unit).

People still seem to be thinking of 4th Ed D Weapon rules rather than the current 6th Ed rules. Current 6th D Weapons wound Models, not units, meaning no wound pools, no overkill spreading to the rest of the unit. D Weapons are vehicle killers and Monstrous Creature killers, yet are pretty inefficient versus large infantry units.
When it blows up it gets a Str D Large Blast and a stupidly large area of effect of less powerful blast all over your clumped up assault models.

Don't forget Necron Gauss weaponry :)
Gauss is actually pretty poor against Knights as getting that close to them is a really bad idea for Necrons.

But why would you ever even try it? Just bring five Stormteks in a Night Scythe and nuke it on turn 2 :victory:

·
Registered
959 Posts
Gauss is actually pretty poor against Knights as getting that close to them is a really bad idea for Necrons.

But why would you ever even try it? Just bring five Stormteks in a Night Scythe and nuke it on turn 2 :victory:
That is more or less implied, as Warriors and Immortals would just get nuked if they tried to walk up to it.

Warriors are still necessary as Storm-Teks cannot take a Night Scythe on their own. Which is why 5 Warriors and two Storm-Teks (assuming 2 Overlords), should be enough to take down a Knight.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Knights just require a different slant on things. They're not invincible, they're just difficult and a new challenge. The game is swinging back towards needing dedicated Heavy Anti Tank assets, and AT assault troops.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts