Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone

My first Imperial Knight will arrive in a few days and i plan to full magnetise it so that i can use all 5 knight variants.

Now there are a few good tutorials out there for the previous knight

E.G
http://www.theindependentcharacters.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6858

Now i have never magnetised anything so this is going to be a big thing for me. I have read as much as i can on it but i still have a few questions

1. How do you make the hole big enough without making it messy? Drill bits dont go to that size at times

2. what size magnet do you think is used in the example?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Afraid the link you have attached just takes you to a create a new thread page. Personally when I magnetise stuff I use 2mm diameter magnets. and for larger models I will put 2 or 3 over the area that needs to be magnetised. When putting them in, first of all I drill the hole in one part, apply some plack or white paint around the edge of the hole and then dry firt the parts. This willl leave a circle where the second hole needs to go.

Hope tha helps!

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Afraid the link you have attached just takes you to a create a new thread page. Personally when I magnetise stuff I use 2mm diameter magnets. and for larger models I will put 2 or 3 over the area that needs to be magnetised. When putting them in, first of all I drill the hole in one part, apply some plack or white paint around the edge of the hole and then dry firt the parts. This willl leave a circle where the second hole needs to go.

Hope tha helps!
My apologies, that has been fixed now

Thank you for the help, i am going to use 2mm for the part the link discusses and 3/4mm for the arms (Red line) and carapace weapons

·
Registered
633 Posts
I have magnetized the carapace weapons using, I want to say 3/4 magnets as they fit into the bottom parts of the cannon and launcher. Then put a larger 1 cm magnet, into the inside of the carapace. I also put a couple of those in the waist of the knight for easier transport.
I did try to magnetize where the Thunderstrike Gauntlet connects to the arm so I could pose it. I, however, messed up the connection so I scrapped that idea and GS/glued it into a position I liked.
Can't wait to see how this works out for you. As I intend to fully steal it when I have enough to buy another.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have magnetized the carapace weapons using, I want to say 3/4 magnets as they fit into the bottom parts of the cannon and launcher. Then put a larger 1 cm magnet, into the inside of the carapace. I also put a couple of those in the waist of the knight for easier transport.
I did try to magnetize where the Thunderstrike Gauntlet connects to the arm so I could pose it. I, however, messed up the connection so I scrapped that idea and GS/glued it into a position I liked.
Can't wait to see how this works out for you. As I intend to fully steal it when I have enough to buy another.
I can try write up a tutorial if you like, i will be starting a log for my Knight army anyhow; will be some good content

1 - 5 of 5 Posts