Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was just wondering what people thought about High Gothic and what it originated from or whether it just varies from whatever the writer can find!
For example i have seen Spanish being used in either grey knights books or inquisition war books. Then u have lots of Latin being used in books like Dan Abnetts gaunt's ghost books and there are loads of other different examples of High Gothic.
so basically i was wondering if anyone knew about the original foundations of imperial High Gothic! any help appreciated!:)

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
High Gothic is merely represented as a form of quasi-latin language (latin itself originates from Iberia/Spain), but that's probably not how its actually spoken in 40k. The same as Low Gothic is english in the fluff but I seriously doubt the actual language of the Imperium would be recognisable to an english speaking person of modern times.

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
The sake of having every race speak english or close to is only for the reader/viewer/whatever. From a strictly fluff perspective, their languages would be almost completely alien as Spikey said. eg: some agents of the inquisition have made an effort to learn alien languages to better understand their foes, showing that the languages are indeed different.

High Gothic is used by savants and such as a kind of scientific language, so by modern comparison it would be like latin to english or some such. But it would not be literally the same language.

·
Super Moderator
8,564 Posts
TY its just i was thinking of just randomly writing my own short story based roughly around 40K for fun and was wondering what language i should use if i did want to use any Imperial Gothic!
95% of your readers will unconsciously expect it to be Latin or close as the most famous non-English words are Latinate, e.g. Adeptus Mechanicus.

Possibly the best check would be to see what novels translated into other languages use; clearly Low Gothic would be the language the novel is being sold in but is High Gothic always the same?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts