Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i just got my new Codex and.... im not quite sure what i wana build. i want it to be fun/fluff. but i dont wana get eaten alive by my friends and there blood angels/ orks/nids/crons

i looked at my models and tried to figure something out but as i am a very indecisive person, i got stuck after i finished my minimum FOC requirements

As i stand i believe i would enjoy this core the most

HQ
company command squad
2 plasma
1 vox
1 flamer
primaris psyker lvl 2
^ all goes in a chimera

primaris psyker lvl 2
^ goes to the blob

Troops

platoon command squad
auto cannon
vox

infantry blob
3 Inf squads
3 lascannons
3 grenade launchers
1 vox

special weapons squadx2
3 grenade launchers

conscripts
40 strong
+priest ( fearless )

veteran squad x2
3 melta
carapace armor
chimera

And thats were i got stuck. i like the idea of a large disposable conscript squad supported buy a small gun line. vets go with the company command squad and psykers give divination re rolls to almost everyone for maximum dakka . the special weapons squads are foot sloggin to support the conscript

im not aiming for a particular points limit except for maybe 2k pts

so with that being said
what could i add to build upon this
are the units im takeing worth it?
do they synergis well?

PS. im sorry if this is in the wrong forum but i didnt know were to put it
thanks in advance

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'm not gonna say, "You should build like this because tournaments" and list a bunch of stuff you don't have. I'm just gonna try and "streamline" what you do have.

First off, unless its a heavy Flamer, I don't like to mix template and plasma/Melta, it splits the units focus. I mean, you could use split fire order, but even then just for a flamer? I'd consider it not worth it. I'd just stick with 2 plasma, or 2 plasma and a heavy weapons team (that's what I'm going to playtest). The idea is, if I need to move I can still fire 2 plasma at normal BS, if I plan to not move I can fire HWT. Obviously you then can't have a vox without dropping a plasma.

Secondly, I could be wrong but Level 2 seems like a waste of points. You generally only want Prescience, the other stuff is cool and all but you need to ask is it worth it? If you think it is, go for it. If you have some other plan with the psykers then fair enough. Also, as far as I know you can't cast "buff/debuff" powers out of a Chimeras fire access, only on units in the vehicle he is in?

You have grenade launchers in with lascannons, they won't tend to be shooting at targets that synch with the lascannons and you also usually want First rank fire order or bring it down orders, not split fire orders. I'd be tempted to consolidate one (2 if you take out the vox) into the PCS squad, as that would at least make 3 S6+ AP 4 shots a turn. Or create another SWS with grenade launchers.

Conscripts who can no longer get flamers aren't my cup of tea, but it's still a good objective holder.

Melta-Vets in Chim are ok. If they never plan on getting out of the Chim carapace may be a slight waste, then again it's a lot less points then it use to be. You will have to keep these outta LoS for a lot of the game to finally get close enough to do what you want. This isn't too much of an issue though, they can be kept back and used to mess up any Deepstriking units day.

As for weapon choices, personally, not a huge fan of grenade launchers. They are quite niche (T3 nid infantry usually) and S6 krak has limited use when it has a 50/50 chance of hitting in first place followed by 50/50 to glance even armour 10. Also, I have yet to decide if Vox is worth it, on paper it is but it does reduce special weapon count.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok i guess i could list what i have so i can further aid the questions as to what my options are.
so here goes

As of today i have.
4 chimeras
13 LRBT
3 valk/vendettas
10 scions ( old old old OOP model)
13 HWT a majority are auto cannons
1 manticore
1 engineer
2 psykers
4 commisars
a GRIP of officers
creed & kell
all in all i have about 125 infantry ( about 80 with lasguns )
i have plasma up the ass
melta up the ass
and flamers and 'nade launchers up the ass

the only option i really see is adding in a bunch of LRBT( like vanquishers and executioners )
not to say its a bad thing to do so but im not sure XD

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i guess i could swap the grenade launchers in the lascannon platoon to melta guns or plasma guns. im not sure which is better for my meta

and i guess i could swap the grenade launcher SWS to sniper rifles and have them sit back and plink away

take out the primaris psykers?
or just reduce to lvl1

·
Registered
136 Posts
How many points are you looking for? What play style?

The last edition style of highly mobile MEQ/TEQ killers with vendettas killing tanks? Or gun line making use of infantry and orders and scrambling for objectives towards end?

Both have merits and both are viable. Also you can combine elements of each. I'm gonna do something similiar to the Deepstrike heavy list of the a couple of editions ago (when doctrines were first introduced).

If I had that model count I'd be trying everything from armoured Cav to mass infantry.

Edit: Re-read divination psyker powers. Level 2 with plenty of targets definitely seem worth it. Not many bad powers!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A points limit? well since this is my return to the game since 6th launched. id say 1500pts to keep me in a tournament setting. my friends are assholes ( and so am i honestly :p ) and typicaly run the cheesyest things they can against me as ive been the reining champ for a while.

im leaning towards gunline but honestly i want a decent mix of infantry and armor
what ive been thinking of is adding in the manticore as a deathstrike. and a few 2 strong tank squads with alternating set ups ( so it would be 2 squads of one with vanquisher and one with battle cannon, or something of that noise. and another thing is anti air. so lets say at 1500 points

do i have enough scoreing? to much?
i dont like hydras so im not taking them.
would the vanquisher+ battlecannon be worth it or should i take the pask in a punisher thing that everyones wetting themselves over?

thanks for taking the time to even respond,
sometimes my lists just drown in views with little to no imput so i really do appreciate it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts