Troops

20 x Termagants - fleshborers

20 x Termagants - fleshborers

15 x Hormagaunts

15 x Hormagaunts

15 x Genestealers - toxin sacs

Fast Attack

20 x Gargoyles

Game: Blitzkreg which is a Ork mission, you deploy like spearhead deployment but have an objective in the centre and then objectives in the centre of the table quarters you haven't deployed in. All units are kept in reserve, except fast attack. You can bring in fast attack units from reserve on a 4+ on the first turn too.

Deployment

I rolled to go first but I deployed nothing as I've got no fast attack - opponent deploys nothing keeping the gargoyles in reserve.

*Tactical Notes

Because each army is coming on piece meal target priority will change through-out the game depending what's on the board. Logically I'm going for Zoanthropes as they can pop my tanks with ease, then the Hive Tyrant as it can wreck tanks and move 12" to catch them and then Genestealers as they can do damage on all those rending attacks. I plan to torrent the Zoanthropes and use melta to hopefully score instant death on them, the Hive Tyrant will hopefully get plasma by the CCS and Executioner and the Genestealers taken out by the Demolishers and flamer Veterans. After that it's just mopping up the remaining infantry.

Turn 1

Nothing happens!

Turn 2

I roll for reserves and end up with the CCS, 3 x melta veterans, 1 x flamer veteran and 1 x demolisher coming on. They roll on and that's it.

Tyranids roll for reserves bringing on a unit of termagants, 'stealers, tyrant and hormagants. Nothing else.

*Tactical Notes

Ah, cracking, all my armour is out of range of shooting - brilliant! So far I'm thinking this mission sucks. Anyway, enough moaning. I'm going to move my armour into firing range and claim objectives while nailing the Genestealers with Demolishers and get those Zoanthropes; if they come in. TheHive Tyrant is out of range at the moment o be a threat but more importantly for me to shoot!

Turn 3

I use the roads on the board to move 18" towards the centre objective, now claimed by an melta vet unit. I send the other two melta vet units towards the left flank objective, where a swarm of tyranids waits. From reserve I bring on the executioner and flamer veteran unit.

Shooting I fire one multi laser wounds a genestealer but it passes the save.

Tyranids move out towards the left flank objective near my melta vets and move towards the right flank objective, they claim that with a unit of termagants. From reserves two units of zoanthropes walk in.

Shooting the melta vets on the centre objective get their chimera popped.

*Tactical Notes

I'm still claiming objectives which is good but I still don't have guns in range - I need to move them in a.s.a.p!

Turn 4

The last of my units finally arrive from reserve. Melta vets which got blown out of their chimera move through the wreckage loosing one veteran. A flamer veteran chimera gets immobilised in terrain near the centre objective and the executioner gets stuck too. The other two melta veterans claim the right flank objective. At this point I forget to move the CCS and first demolisher, nice.

Shooting the demolisher which came in from reserve last time targets some gargoyles but it's out of range. Melta veterans in terrain by their wrecked tank are out of range shooting at the zoanthropes.

Tyranids call for reserves with the myceptic spore zoanthropes dropping in behind the demolisher which missed the gargoyles. The last unit of termagants comes in top left corner of the board. Rest of the tyranid army moves out towards the centre objective and left flank one.

Shooting the demolisher explodes thanks to the zoanthropes warp lances.

*Tactcial Notes

Ah bloody brilliant the Executioner gets stuck in terrain so only it's turret has a 45 degree view due to the opening in the ruin, nice! :( .

So with the Executioner more or less out the game and a Demolisher totaled I'm running low on blast templates...

Turn 5

I move the CCS towards the top right flank objective, contesting it. I bail the flamer veterans out their chimera which is stuck in terrain and the melta veteran tanks position to burn genestealers.

Shooting I managed to kill one zoanthrope from the squad which exploded the demolisher after taking a lot of fire power. I also manage to kill another unit of zoanthropes after they take a bucket of fire power too. With another unit of flamer veterans on the centre objective I burn plenty of hormagaunts around the flying tyrant, I go to drop a demolisher shell but it's out of range.

Tyranids move about contesting all the objectives now. An unit of hormagaunts and hive tyrant contesting the centre objective with a second unit of hormagaunts coming after those melta veterans in terrain. The gargoyles swoop down ready to butcher the flamer veterans which bailed out the chimera.

Shooting the flamer veterans take two wounds from gargoyle fleshborers. The melta veterans in terrain get hit with the hive tyrant's paroxysm shot.

In assault the genestealers rip up a melta veteran chimera on the left flank objective. The gargoyles and a unit of hormagaunts assault the flamer veterans killing them all. The hive tyrant tears a new one for the mobile flamer veterans chimera. The other unit of hormagaunts kill all but two melta veterans in terrain, the veterans are chopped down in sweeping advance.

*Tactical Notes

It's getting all a bit grim at the moment. I think time is up and the last Demolisher got immobilised in terrain too, FFS!

Best bet now is just hope Tyranids cannot take me out and hold onto all objectives and contest the game scoring a draw. I don't have the man or tank power to start dishing out serious pain.

Turn 6

Not a lot of options left now, though I'm still contesting all the objectives.

Shooting the CCS unloads plasma into the termagants in the ruin by the right flank objective, but they don't kill many. Last unit of flamer veterans burn all but three hormagaunts which had butchered the melta veterans. Demolisher fires at the other unit of hormagaunts which also catches the hive tyrant, I don't wound the tyrant but only 3 hormagaunts live. I shoot the last two units of melta veterans at the genestealers halving there number but they're in synapse so they do not take morale :(

In the tyranid movement the winged tyrant heads however to the CCS chimera and the termagaunts unload out the ruin. Both units of remaining hormagaunts move to assault the flamer veterans. The gargoyles surround the melta veterans which got exploded out their tank by the genestealers and the 'stealers move to assault the last melta vet chimera.

Shooting the hive tyrant pops the CCS chimera with devourer shots, the termagants follow up the volley by nailing the CCS with fleshborers, the CCS fails morale and falls back leavnig the objective to the tyranids. The gargoyles fire at the melta vets standing in a crater left by their chimera but only kill one after cover saves.

In assault both hormagaunts units charge the flamer veterans and kill them after sweeping advance. The gargoyles manage to kill all the melta veterans and the genestealers wreck the last melta vet chimera which puts them at the back of the tank and away from the objective.

A win for the Tyranids, they claim all objectives!

Oh, sorry about the lack of photos - I forgot to take the rest! Epic Fail!

Summary

Well I'm going to have to say that the game sucked. No it's not because I lost, sometimes you have to lose you cannot win them all ;) . The actual mission sucked. As mentioned you deploy same as a spearhead deployment and put objectives in the centre of the board and then objectives in the centre of the un-used quarters; that's fine. What sucks is all your army is in reserve except fast attack so your army comes on piece-meal and away from the action, you have to spend about 2 turns to get into range and the objectives which sacrificed fire power.

Game wise I made a few mistakes like not moving the CCS Chimera and the first deployed Demolisher for a turn. Second mistake was not using the heavy flamer on the CCS Chimera to burn the Termagants in the ruin, however this would have explosed my weaker side armour to Zoanthropes.

Other than the mistakes I think some was bad luck like getting two tanks stuck in terrain which in particular caused problems for the Executioner as it had limited line of sight. That's really about it really, I just couldn't kill the Tyranids fast enough as I couldn't get into range.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Nice report and great Ruins you have there...similar to mine except my Board is huge, as are some of the Ruins.

Maybe stick a few Dozer Blades on your 'main' Tanks, so terrain isn't as much of an issue. Some long range Artillery may have helped with the range issue.

Not much you can do about the Dice Gods though:biggrin:

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I had the points dozer blades would certainly go on one or two. Usually I do take a standard leman russ for range which works great, I just fancied an executioner today which as you can see didn't have much look!

·
Registered
648 Posts
Battle Missions are, on the whole, made of fail. Unbalanced missions FTL.

Still, looking at things on paper, it looks like you had the better list. Zoanthropes are scary, but S8 sends them packing (or even massed multi-lasers) and he only had 1 MC. I think for the future, some ranged power from Vendettas or infantry and an Astropath would be helpful additions.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Also, how about a non-LOS high strength shot Artillery piece...something to consider.

Chumbalaya's idea about Vendettas (or even Valks) is great...some of the Ruins look tall enough to get Cover Saves from.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Battle Missions are, on the whole, made of fail. Unbalanced missions FTL.

Still, looking at things on paper, it looks like you had the better list. Zoanthropes are scary, but S8 sends them packing (or even massed multi-lasers) and he only had 1 MC. I think for the future, some ranged power from Vendettas or infantry and an Astropath would be helpful additions.
I can only pass judgement on the mission I played; which was fail. I like the deployment and also the placement of objectives but forcing your entire army into reserves minus fast attack, which cannot claim objectives anyway it shit. You need to use turns 2-4 to move to claim the objectives and my problem was if I move the full 12" I cannot fire and I put myself closer to the horde.

I did have valkyries originally packed with meltas. I thought I'd try the all chimera route, using this I could have killed the single hive tyrant and bombed the hordes with mass large templates.

Also, how about a non-LOS high strength shot Artillery piece...something to consider.

Chumbalaya's idea about Vendettas (or even Valks) is great...some of the Ruins look tall enough to get Cover Saves from.
I usually use a leman russ tbh, I just decided to try a executioner today which I had bad luck with. Looking at my list if I would have kept the valkyries and leman russ I perhaps would have done better and I would have had more long range fire power along with mass templates.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I've played a couple of the Battle Missions, particularly the SM one where your opponent is forced to spread across the board while SM go first and walk off of any board edge. Considering I play a Loganwing with lots of TWC, it was pretty one sided.

Spearhead is bad enough for 2 objectives, but putting everything off board turn 1 is just silly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts