Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's that time again. Justicar Alaric's Blood Angels against my Guard. This time I've given Kris some tactics on how to beat my army, target priority on what to take out first and with what. Lets get on with it:

Imperial Guard "Steel Lions" - 2,000 points

HQ

Company Command Squad w/ Chimera 4 x plasma guns & carapace armour

Company Command Squad w/ Chimera 4 x plasma guns & carapace armour

Troops

Veterans 3 x meltaguns

Veterans 3 x meltaguns

Veterans w/ Chimera 3 x meltaguns

Veterans w/ Chimera 3 x plasma guns

Veterans w/ Chimera 3 x plasma guns

Fast Attack

Valkyrie multiple missile pods

Valkyrie multiple missile pods

Hellhound multi melta & smoke launchers

Heavy Support

Leman Russ Demolisher heavy flamer

Leman Russ Demolisher heavy flamer

Leman Russ Executioner heavy flamer

Total: 1,995

Blood Angels "Book of Blood" - 2,000 points

HQ

Librarian - jump pack, shield of sanguinus & unleash rage

Librarian - jump pack, shield of sanguinus & unleash rage

Honour Guard - jump packs & 4 x meltaguns

Elite

2 x Sanguinary Priest - jump packs

Troops

10 x Assault Marines - 2 x meltaguns - sgt w/ power fist

10 x Assault Marines - 2 x meltaguns - sgt w/ power fist

10 x Assault Marines - 2 x plasma pistol

10 x Assault Marines - 2 x flamers - sgt w/ power fist

5 x Assault Marines - plasma gun

Heavy Support

5 x Devastators - 4 x missile launchers

Game: Seize Ground + Spearhead

Deployment:

Once again I lost the roll off :( . Kris went first and deployed his Angels keeping all Devs in a ruin which an objective will be replaced near along with the 5 man Assault Squad. He then placed all the Angels in up close to the edge of his table quarter.

I deployed my two plasma Veteran units in terrain of the black building with Valkyries behind. I placed the Executioner on a hill so Angels won't get cover and Demolishers with it. CCS Chimeras are out front to get the bulk of their fire power into range along with the Hellhound to block LOS to the melta Veteran Chimera.

* Valkyries are proxy as Razorbacks as I left mine at home, doh!

* Tactical Notes

Ok Kris' Angels are pretty much in my face but in the open too. If I manage to seize the initiative I can rumble up and blow as many away as possible, either way turn 2 he'll be in melta range.

My first target is the Honour Guard - mass melta isn't cool. I'll be going for the melta squads after. I'll ignore the rest and those Devs, then when time is ready I'll turbo boost the Valkyries in attempt to contest objectives.

Turn 1

I attempt to seize the initiative and fail :(

Kris moves his Angels out bounding towards me while the 10 man plasma Assault Squad claim the objective which no holds at the moment in a ruin on Kris' side of the board.

Shooting Kris unloads krak rockets and pops my Hellhound, he uses meltas on a Demolisher and Executioner but luckily out of melta range so no good.

My turn I roll out the melta Veterans Chimera over the wreck of the Hound ok, one Demolisher comes forward with both CCS Chimeras, one Chimera rotates to get into range of a melta Assault Squad with a Librarian.

Shooting turn Executioner blasts the Honour Guard, with scatters kills two H.G and a Marine from the supporting melta unit with the other Libby. Demolisher and a CCS fire at other oncoming melta A.S with Librarian and chip them down, they pass morale ok. Other CCS fires at Honour Guard but the Librarians pesky shield keeps some alive.

* Tactical Notes

Kris' Angels are right on me, Kris is playing them aggressively instead of his usual defensive, which doesn't work. His new tactics are keeping pressure on me but this turn I've lost only a Hound so that's ok but I think other stuff is on borrowed time thanks to the amount of melta around.

My plan is to keep blasting melta units until gone, simple. Melta gone armour should be safe, mostly.

Turn 2

H.G move towards the Executioner while a melta A.S unit with Librarian goes for a CCS Chimera which just shot at the H.G while the other melta unit goes for the Executioner. Flamer Assault Squad moves in ready to tackle the melta Veterans once the Chimera is popped.

Shooting krak rockets fire at the rear of a CCS Chimera ready to setup the Librarian and Assault Squad but fails to do any damage after cover saves. Krak rockets smash into the melta Veteran Chimera and do some damage but I cannot remember what. Meltas fire from both Assault Squads causing weapon destroyed on a Demolisher, turret down and the CCS Chimera to pop. Honour Guard fail to pop the Executioner

In assault Librarian and Assault Squads charges CCS but Guard stay in combat. Flamer Assault Squad charges the melta Veterans Chimera with krak grenades and power fist and make it go boom, one Marine dead and over half the Guard but the Guard stay in around.

In my turn I move the Executioner back from the Honour Guard and the other Demolisher round to either blast the flamer Assault Squad or the melta unit. CCS still inside a Chimera move ready to give some rapid fire plasma justice. I turbo boost Valkyries, one across my table edge the other towards the objective Kris' side.

Shooting turn I nuke the flamer Assault Squad with Demolisher shot, melta shots and long range plasma shots. CCS lives only two Marines standing from the melta squad with the Librarian after shield power, they pass morale ok. Honour Guard take a pounding but two still survive and pass morale.

In combat I lose more Guard from the CCS but the plucky Commander keeps the fight oncoming, he's hardcore!

* Tactical Notes

Ok a Demolisher has nothing left but a heavy flamer so that's not a major threat to Angels any more, to be honest I'm surprised the Executioner lives on. Shame my Guard didn't fold in the Angels turn as I have two plasma Veterans sitting in Chimeras I could have plasma'd them too death.

Next turn I'll hammer that weakened melta Assault Squad and make it disappear and kill the Honour Guard, if the other melta A.S comes out of combat (which I hope it does) I'll blast it with the Demolisher and plasmas on my objective I already hold.

Turn 3

Not a huge amount of movement from Kris this turn, infact I don't think any at all besides moving his Honour Guard to get the Executioner.

H.G attempt to go at the Executioner again, but fail, again :p . Battered melta unit make the broken turret Demolisher toast. Krak rockets pop the Valkyrie along my table edge, attempt to pop the other Valkyrie but fail. The last CCS Chimera is popped though.

In my turn I move the melta Veterans out the downed Valkyrie to blast the surviving melta unit.

Shooting, surviving melta unit is wiped off the map Honour Guard are nuked by the Executioner, finally. CCS manage to long shot the 10 man plasma Assault Squad and kill one.

In assault my Commander finally snuffs it, bye-bye Commander :(

* Tactical Notes

Shame my Commander died if he held out and then lost next turn the Executioner could have shot at that full size melta unit (ok minus one) but not I will have to face them doing damage to me.

Apart from the solo melta unit there's no Angels. I just need to move the last Valkyrie closer and hope it holds out.

Turn 4

I suggest to Kris to move the 10 man plasma Assault Squad from his objective and use plasma pistols on the rear armouf of the Valkyrie, so he does. Melta Assault Squad moves to rear of a Chimera on my objective. I also suggest he forget the Executioner and go for my troops choices so I cannot claim any objectives, I've only got three left and only two in transports.

Shooting frags blast apart the melta Veterans which got out the downed Valkyrie, all die. Kraks blast the operational Valkyrie and wreck it, I'm forced to do emergence disembark as Kris has surrounded my exits, though before it's popped the plasma pistols did have a try. Meltas pop the rear armour of a plasma Veteran Chimera.

In assault the melta unit with Librarian charge and batter the plasma Veterans, the Veterans fail morale and fall back off the board.

My shooting turn I point everything at the Assault Squad in my table quarter and blast them, only a few remain and they fail morale and leg it.

That's me done!

* Tactical Notes

Bad times the Valkyrie is down and I couldn't fire the troops as emergency disembarked so those Veterans out on their own are probably toast. My Veterans out the other Valkyrie are gone too. All I've got left is a few slow moving tanks and a single Chimera. My hope is the Veterans hold out and the game ends next turn and I can get a draw.

Turn 5

In Kris turn he moves the 10 man plasma Assault Squad to butcher my Veterans hiding in terrain. The melta Assault Squad want a piece of that Executioner!

Shooting my Veterans take a ass whooping but not so bad thanks to good cover saves, I fear combat is where they will fail. Executioner finally goes down :(

In assault Angels charge the Veterans and win combat, Veterans fall back ok.

My turn I regroup the Veterans and move to contest the objective. I blast that last melta unit leaving no Angels in my deployment zone at all.

* Tactical Notes

If there's a next turn then I'm dead. No way those Veterans will survive out in the open with all those frag templates and bolt pistols. I just hope the game ends next turn and I get a draw..

Turn 6

We roll for turn 6 and it doesn't happen. Game ends in a draw, however, I suggest to Kris to carry on as the game is in the bag for him and don't want to rob his win. So, we carry on....

Kris goes to blast the CCS in a crater, I suggest to forget them and frag the Veterans in the open which does - two units kill one guy and Kris then uses his last Devastator unit to bomb down kraks just for fun blowing the little Veterans up.

Angels win claiming two objectives Guard claim one - woot! woot!

Summary

Yay! Well done Kris, you won mate :D . Kris played well he used the tactics I told him which was use meltas on the heavy armour and use kraks to pop the Chimeras which will setup the Assault Marines, just make sure kill the CCS first due to the amount of plasma packing then the plasma Veterans. Kris did the above, though one mistake was one Demolisher had the turret broke he should have left this as it wasn't a threat and take out the other CCS Chimera and then kill that squad which probably would have left more of his Marines intact. Also, the Honour Guard should have charged the Executioner when failed to pop it with melta could have done it over with kraks.

My mistakes were probably getting that first Demolisher too close. I should have pulled it back and then sent a plasma Veteran squad forward and used them instead of long range shots, probably would have saved myself a tank.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts