Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Well it varies from Chapter to Chapter.

For example the Ultramarines have a very organised method where male children of about age 5-6 going to training camps (similar to the Spartans) and the very best are chosen to be aspirants for the Ultramarines.

Space Wolves take the most promising warriors from a primitive warrior culture on Fenris and test them with brutal trials to weed out the weak of mind and body.

Crusading Chapter (Black Templars, Dark Angels, Imperial Fists etc) travel from planet to planet taking those they find to have the most potential, alot of these Chapters have a recruiting a circuit where they take warriors from the same planets, some have no specific worlds and recruit wherever they come upon suitable aspirants.

The training can differ incredibly but for the most part it's designed to break down the aspirants and rebuild them into supreme warriors.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Actually, the selection rituals differ from chapter to chapter and planet to planet. While some chapters do draw their raw recruits from a planets young teenage male populace... The Blood Angels for instance hold long blood rites, which are basically big battled amoungst the planets tribes, and then the winners are selected to be taken for initiation... which involves being plaed inside golden 'coffins' for a time as the implanted organs take hold.

The fluff on the particulars of slection is within the codexs... as for the training, all I can remember specifically is that usually a chapters initiates will serve time within teh chapters Scout company before becoming a full fledge space marine in power armour.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
well guardsmen dont get inducted in space marines because theyve joined the imperial army, its usually young adults that get inducted, i think its usually between 15-18 or around those ages and its usually from the chapters homeworld were people get inducted(i think im right anyway) as for how they become marines its a complicated process, i know for sure they potential intiates have to pass some sort of test to prove there worthy, this varies from chapter to chapter, now this is were im abit hazy myself, i think once proven worthy they get implanted with the gene-seed and then they go through physical and psycho-indoctrination and at different stages they are implated with the extra organs, they become scouts after a certain time, not every intiate survives organ implantion and training, once theyve been scouts for awhile they recieve the black carapace thats when they become full fledged marines,
thats the best i can remember the process, iv prob missed alot of info out and got some in the wrong order so i apologise if im wrong

·
Registered
49 Posts
Here is another question I would like to add to this. What does a space marine look like without his armor? I have never seen one wearing normal clothes, I am starting to think they never take it off, but that doesn't make sense, they gotta bathe, eat and use the bathroom right? I haven't read too much on the fluff of Space Marines, but I am expecting to get responses to this question with "they have organs that make then not sweat or have to eat or sleep or wear clothing".

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
very large, barrel shested gorillas of men. read a horus heresy book they describe a space marine in descent of angels which is about the dark angels.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
They look nominally like humans but made huge, with faces that have obviously suffered from gigantism (as one human puts it they're faces have been elongated out of proportion) and a ribless torso because during their progression to marine all the ribs fuse into a protective shell of bone protecting their organs.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Uusually when not in operations, they're in robes. Power armour is able to be taken off just as easily as any other army. In the soul drinkers novels Space marines fall of a ship into the sea and have to shed their chest plate to stop them from drowning, and continue to fight barechested (as if they couldn't get any more manly :biggrin:) Space marines are quite human though really, many chapters hold feasts and ceremonies on their homeworlds and on ships when they just stride around in robes.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
They look nominally like humans but made huge, with faces that have obviously suffered from gigantism (as one human puts it they're faces have been elongated out of proportion) and a ribless torso because during their progression to marine all the ribs fuse into a protective shell of bone protecting their organs.
Never understood the fused ribs. It would be functionally debilitating and would do more harm than good.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
The primary function of the ribs is not to protect the the organs of the abdominal cavity, it's to allow expansion and contraction of the abdominal cavity to raise/low pressure in the plural cavity and allow inhalation & exhalation. But as I understand it SMs have their lungs replaced with bionic versions anyway, so they must have their own mechanism for lung contraction/expansion.

Still rib fusion would severely restrict any axial rotation of the vertebral column, since the majority of axial rotation occurs in the thoracic region of the vertebral column. Space marines wouldn't be able to look behind themselves, and would only be able to bend over at the hips and in the cervical region of the vertebral column. They wouldn't even be able to swing a sword properly, since that uses axial rotation. It's the equivalent of fusing all 12 of the thoracic vertebra, which is crippling.

Then again it's a make believe world with elves, zombies and orcs. I doubt anyone sat down and though "That sounds cool, but what are the functional implications of that anatomical change?"

·
Registered
49 Posts
The primary function of the ribs is not to protect the the organs of the abdominal cavity, it's to allow expansion and contraction of the abdominal cavity to raise/low pressure in the plural cavity and allow inhalation & exhalation. But as I understand it SMs have their lungs replaced with bionic versions anyway, so they must have their own mechanism for lung contraction/expansion.

Still rib fusion would severely restrict any axial rotation of the vertebral column, since the majority of axial rotation occurs in the thoracic region of the vertebral column. Space marines wouldn't be able to look behind themselves, and would only be able to bend over at the hips and in the cervical region of the vertebral column. They wouldn't even be able to swing a sword properly, since that uses axial rotation. It's the equivalent of fusing all 12 of the thoracic vertebra, which is crippling.

Then again it's a make believe world with elves, zombies and orcs. I doubt anyone sat down and though "That sounds cool, but what are the functional implications of that anatomical change?"
HA! Scientific WIN! I wish I could give rep for that. There is some Warhammer writer crying now. :goodpost:

·
Apathetic Megalomaniac
456 Posts

HA! Scientific WIN! I wish I could give rep for that. There is some Warhammer writer crying now. :goodpost:
That didn't stop me. +rep

There needs to be an awesome sci fi universe that actually thinks about what it says.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
allow me to burst the bubble of scientific win: the ribs aren't fused into one big rib, they grow into overlapping rib plates, thus retaining the manouverability of non-plate ribs.

So SM can still bend and twist, and still have a virtually impernetrable rib structure.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.