Valkyrie - multiple missile pods

Valkyrie - multiple missile pods

Hellhound - multi melta

Heavy Support

Leman Russ Demolisher - heavy flamer

Leman Russ Demolisher - heavy flamer

Leman Russ Executioner - plasma cannons & heavy flamer

Total: 2,000 points

Ok here's my thoughts on this one. The CCS I originally had 3 plasma guns and a medic, but I had a game with them on Saturday Imperial Guard vs Blood Angels - 2,000 points and took 4 plasma guns and carapace armour. This costs 5 points more than the original config but I get more fire power, so I'm keeping this as is.

What started this rebuild is the Leman Russ. I use it for flattening infantry and it's hit and miss, perhaps it is a unlucky model (you know those ones!) as it scatters more than it hits, but when it hits it really hits! It's cheap and has range but that's the only model in my army with extreme range. I've flirted with Executioner before, it did ok once and the second time it got stuck in terrain and was useless. I've given it another try and taken plasma cannons which can dish out 5 blast templates, that's scary for monstrous creatures basic infnantry and even Terminators.

I've kept the Demolishers. I like them. They are good for tanks and infantry, what the Executioner does these do but with less fire power.

Usually I use the flamer Veterans to hold objectives while the others roam about doing what they do. Sometimes I find myself only needing one flamer unit, so I've dropped one and replaced with plasma. These guys can move and fire or still hold objectives and have 24" range. Bad news is I didn't have enough points to get carapace on them, but for the points it's expensive.

Only other change is the Hellhound. Once in squadrons but now in single and to use those last 15 points I packed in a multi melta as well. I didn't know what else to do with those points and what I'll use it for is double teaming with the melta Veterans in the Chimera, they pop a transport then the Hellhound burns them, if those meltas fire the Hellhound has a chance though. But, Bane Wolf has entered my head, more affective against all forms of infantry instead of ones with just 4+ save and the Veterans need to get close for melta range anyway.....same points too ;)

Tactics with this army is pretty simple. Alpha strike with the Valkyries if I get first turn, if not maybe outflank or just hold them on the field.

Flamer Veterans hold objective closest to home or follow plasma CCS around, plasma CCS blow holes in light armoured transports while flamer Veterans and other CCS blasts with fire and plasma ;)

Hellhound and melta Veterans in Chimera team up as mentioned.

Tanks roll up and get into range, Executioner can probably hold back the most as starting 12" in gives it 48" range which is standard board width.

·
Registered
72 Posts
its a scary lookin mech list thats for sure. alot of kill points but thats always a problem with IG armies. you got the firepower to wipe someone off the map.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Great list! My CCS always has 4 Plasma plus the PP and Carapace..I ditched the Medic ages ago as the 4th Plasma is well worth it.

The only build I don't use is the Vets with Flamers as it wastes their BS4, but then again I run a Platoon that has template weaponry, so I get why you have the Vet Flamers.

I love that you're using Valkyries over Vendettas as transports for early-game units...far better-suited to that role.

I do run barebones Demos but they can achieve very little over a game if my scatter rolls are off, so my Exey usually outperforms it by a large margin (as it should).

All the best with the list.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its a scary lookin mech list thats for sure. alot of kill points but thats always a problem with IG armies. you got the firepower to wipe someone off the map.
Thanks. I've dropped some flamer Vets and the standard Russ and added plasma Veterans and Executioner, also ditched a Hellhound. That's all I've done really. Confidante about the plasma Veterans and single Hellhound, not sure about the Executioner.

Great list! My CCS always has 4 Plasma plus the PP and Carapace..I ditched the Medic ages ago as the 4th Plasma is well worth it.

The only build I don't use is the Vets with Flamers as it wastes their BS4, but then again I run a Platoon that has template weaponry, so I get why you have the Vet Flamers.

I love that you're using Valkyries over Vendettas as transports for early-game units...far better-suited to that role.

I do run barebones Demos but they can achieve very little over a game if my scatter rolls are off, so my Exey usually outperforms it by a large margin (as it should).

All the best with the list.
I used to have a medic and three plasma guns, the extra plasma gun is cool but not huge difference. But for 5 points extra you get 4+ armour and extra gun. I'm gonna leave it I think as it is now.

I did have two flamer Veterans, they're alright and I use them to hold objectives. I think the extra fire power with plasmas will help, I don't think I need two.

I did use Vendettas ages ago but didn't rate them. See they would move 12" and can only fire a single weapon, they are for the busting tanks but so are the melta Veterans so two units for the same role, but if one pops the transport the other is mostly useless. I tried a Valkyrie which can fire all weapons when moving 12" and melta Veterans which pop a tank, Valkyrie bombs the survivors, works well, but obivously better against lighter armoured infantry.

I love Demos and they always do well for me but my Leman Russ only hits once or twice per game, I've proxied that same model as a Executioner and something has always gone wrong - bad luck model maybe?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts