Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got to wondering how people were feeling about the changes to names of Imperial Guard(now Astra Militarum) and the Militarum Tempestus, and looking at the leaks from WD11 they are also giving low gothic titles to commissars and other units, plus a few months ago we had a name change to the Sisters of Battle (now adepta Sororitas). Given the Issues GW has had protecting its IP in recent times i supposes something had to give, so it maybe likley that we see the term space marine fade and GW start using Adeptus Astartes instead?

Anyway, thats just me speculating, but how do you feel about the change? will you use the new term? do you use imperial guard anyway? or do you refer to them as Cadians/catachans etc?

personally i welcome the change, i have never really liked the term "imperial guard", much prefer "imperial army" but even then i never really liked the simplistic nature of some of the army names, space marines,imperial guard,sisters of battle all sounded a little childish even back when i was a child,the name Sisters of battle totally put me off the army when it launched,well that and john blanches artwork, anyway i like the idea of GW using more high and low goth terms for the game and would like to see more of it, i used to really enjoy seeing and reading things like Eldar translations and terms in the fluff and would happily like to see more even if its just gothic imperial terms.

So how do you feel about it all?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
I think it's a good change, moving away from the sort of names a 12 year old would use for official source material will only make it read better.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
I don't think it's necessary, but I think usage will gradually shift over a few years towards it.

I just hope they justify it with making the next Codex: Space Marines instead be Codex: Adeptus Astartes. I mean, with Adepta Sororitas rather than Sisters of Battle, and Astra Militarum rather than Imperial Guard... their excuses for not switching Space Marines over are beginning to run a trifle thin. If they embrace the gothis pseudo-latin wholeheartedly rather than a bit here and there, though I'll accept Astra Militarum more quickly, I think.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I dont no about you lads but i get enough latin at mass never mind in 40k. I'm still going to call them imperial guard. Mind you its not the worse name in the world.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Anything that helps them write fluff that doesn't read like it was written by kids is fine by me. I just got into IG and literally gave up on reading anything but the rules of the 'dex after a few entries.

Astra Militarum sounds a lot cooler than Imperial Guard to me, just like Adeptus Astartes sounds cooler than Space Marine.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
I dunno they ain't working for me, I know it adds to their fluff but..how can I describe it..it makes them seem less tough and rough.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I dunno they ain't working for me, I know it adds to their fluff but..how can I describe it..it makes them seem less tough and rough.
Now THOSE are some WORDS OF TRUTH!

·
Registered
2,195 Posts

I don't agree. If you know what kind of universe they fight in they could be namned whatever. You still understand they are some tough nuts to crack.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I don't care very much, I care more that Marbo and apparently Straken are going to be excluded from the new codex...I hope they are just rumours.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I care more that Marbo and apparently Straken are going to be excluded from the new codex
Potentially along with all the other Catachan stuff....but I still can't see them dropping such a large line of models. Supplement or entire codex to themselves, they can be the Astra Bicepticus.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts

·
Closet Dictator
3,431 Posts
I dont no about you lads but i get enough latin at mass never mind in 40k. I'm still going to call them imperial guard. Mind you its not the worse name in the world.
Mass, mass, Heresy should be your only church, shame on you! I dont mind the new names, however I do love the term Imperial Guard, and would like to see it kept in some way

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
I don't like it. Guardsmen, outside of a few regiments like Dev Hatra or Terrax, should speak their own dialect or Low Gothic. They're just dudes. Adeptus Astartes are the holy warrior-monks of the Emperor. Imperial Guard are the vast horde of cannon fodder. Imperial Guard was good; simple and descriptive, and thereby in keeping with modern or recent army names. The British Army. The Red Army. Having them as some fancy High Gothic crap makes them seem immediately less grubby, which was part of the big appeal of Imperial Guard (at least to me). Imperial Guard can cover all the regiments established so far, but the Savlar Chem-Dogs being part of the Astra Militarum? Really? Astra Militarum, home of the Death Korps of Krieg. Home of the Armageddon Steel Legions? It makes sense for Jantine Patricians or whatever, but so many regiments don't seem to fit in with the High Gothic name of the overall organisation. Are they going to change the regimental designations to fit in?

·
Registered
720 Posts
Mass, mass, Heresy should be your only church, shame on you! I dont mind the new names, however I do love the term Imperial Guard, and would like to see it kept in some way
Well I stand at the back instead of in the seats at the front. That's heresy right. If I want to be a real rebel I wait outside the church. I'm badass like that

Reactions: Old Man78
1 - 20 of 44 Posts