Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Thordis
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I decided to toy around a bit and see if I could get two lists going with the Mont'ka detachments, and I came up with this.

List 1
"Emperor's fist" armoured company
Techpriest Enginseer.
1st squadron:
Tank commander, Leman russ vanquisher, Lascannon, camo netting.
Leman Russ vanquisher Lascannon, camo netting.
2nd squadron:
Leman Russ battle tank heavy flamer, heavy bolters, camo netting.
3rd squadron
Leman Russ Domolisher Heay bolter, multi melta's, camo netting.
-
"Emperor's blade" assault company
Regimental command carapace armour, 2x plasma guns.
veterans 3x melta guns, carapace armour.
veterans 3x plasma guns, carapace armour.
4 chimera's.
Bane wolf.
-
armoured sentinel squadron 2x sentinels, 2x Lascannons.
vendetta Gunship.

List 2
Techpriest Enginseer.
1st squadron:
2nd squadron:
3rd squadron
-
"Emperor's shield" Infantry platoon
platoon command.
5x infantry squads.
-
2x chimera's.
vendetta Gunship.
vendetta Gunship.

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
so I decided to toy around a bit and see if I could get two lists going with the Mont'ka detachments, and I came up with this.
Unfortunately neither list is legal, you need to have at least one battle group command section (either a company command squad or tank commander.) That unlocks core sections, which in turn unlock auxiliary ones.

List 1
Techpriest Enginseer.
1st squadron:
2nd squadron:
3rd squadron
This isn't legal either, you need three squadrons plus a tank commander squadron and at least one tech priest. You need another tank here.

Having said that, I wouldn't bother with the sponsons on the demolisher. I'd consider an executioner for some mid strength anti cover fire.

veterans 3x melta guns, carapace armour.
4 chimera's.
Bane wolf.
Looks pretty good here, not much to say beyond maybe considering having a hellnound instead of a banewolf.

vendetta Gunship.
These guys make your list unbound I believe; not much to say about them really

2x chimera's.
vendetta Gunship.
vendetta Gunship.
If your gonna take all this as unbound elements you might as well look to get a lord commissar or company command squad in and made it a CAD.

·
Thordis
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Unfortunately neither list is legal, you need to have at least one battle group command section (either a company command squad or tank commander.) That unlocks core sections, which in turn unlock auxiliary ones.
I am a bit confused what you mean with this? formations can be taken separately in an army for as far as I know.

This isn't legal either, you need three squadrons plus a tank commander squadron and at least one tech priest. You need another tank here.

Having said that, I wouldn't bother with the sponsons on the demolisher. I'd consider an executioner for some mid strength anti cover fire.

Looks pretty good here, not much to say beyond maybe considering having a hellnound instead of a banewolf.

These guys make your list unbound I believe; not much to say about them really

If your gonna take all this as unbound elements you might as well look to get a lord commissar or company command squad in and made it a CAD.
wouldn't it be that the tank commander is part of one of the squadrons. I might got confused because it just says tank commander.
seems like I will be doing some more reading

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
I am a bit confused what you mean with this? formations can be taken separately in an army for as far as I know.
This is an error on my part, I thought you were using the Cadian Battle Group detachment. That requires a Battle Group Command in order to take an Emperor's Fist Armoured Company (which would then let you take the Emperor's Blade.)

wouldn't it be that the tank commander is part of one of the squadrons. I might got confused because it just says tank commander.
If you look at the tank commander entry in the codex it does say that it is the commander and 1-2 additional tanks for that option. That would mean you need at least 5 tanks in the formation, plus the enginseer. I think some people have or try to argue against that, but I would think that if the commander needing his own squadron was removed it would have been mentioned (in a similar manner like how the Blade formation states veteran and the command squad must take transports.)

·
Thordis
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
This is an error on my part, I thought you were using the Cadian Battle Group detachment. That requires a Battle Group Command in order to take an Emperor's Fist Armoured Company (which would then let you take the Emperor's Blade.)
that explains it, I was planning more along the lines of the combined arms detachment.

If you look at the tank commander entry in the codex it does say that it is the commander and 1-2 additional tanks for that option. That would mean you need at least 5 tanks in the formation, plus the enginseer. I think some people have or try to argue against that, but I would think that if the commander needing his own squadron was removed it would have been mentioned (in a similar manner like how the Blade formation states veteran and the command squad must take transports.)
I think the tank commander can easily be argued back and forth. written just vaguely enoughin the Formation entry.
however I think I will be going with your version considering it seems more likely.

EDIT:
never mind, you are right, the command squadron is a squadron on its own besides the leman russ squadrons, wich should have been way more obvious to me then it was :laugh:

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
It's pretty cool, and I think you can find it in the war zone Damocles: Mont'ka thread in news and rumours.

Basically a command squad, three vet squads (all four mounted), and 1-3 hell hound squadrons. Objective secured and preferred enemy against units on objectives, the ultimate objective holder formation concept.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
So it is! I even posted it :blush:

Gotta be honest though, ObSec on just infantry? Meh. CAD does the same thing but you get ObSec transports at the cost of the Preferred Enemy bubble around Objectives. PE doesn't even do anything for the Hellhounds, but it could help if you love plasmaVets.

I was excited for a minute there! I actually have the gribbles for this Formation at least.

·
Thordis
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Techpriest Enginseer.
1st squadron:
2nd squadron:
3rd squadron
Leman Russ Domolisher, Heay bolter, multi melta's, camo netting.
4th squadron
Leman Russ executioner, Plasma cannons, camo netting.
-
veterans 2x melta guns, carapace armour.
veterans 2x plasma guns, carapace armour.
4 chimera's.
Bane wolf.
-

that should make this list bound and legal within the combined arms detachment I believe

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
That is three Formations, not a Combined Arms Detachment. It is still perfectly Battle Forged though.

A CAD uses the Force Organization Chart and requires two Troops and an HQ selection. Units cannot belong yo more than one Formation/Detachment.

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
That is three Formations, not a Combined Arms Detachment. It is still perfectly Battle Forged though.
Two formations I'm afraid. The sentinal squadron appears to be a pair of sentinals, which is not enough for the recon formation.

Without those two the list is battleforged, but as it currently stands they make the list unbound. Not that being unbound is absolutely terrible mind you.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Two formations I'm afraid. The sentinal squadron appears to be a pair of sentinals, which is not enough for the recon formation.
Ah! Good call man. It seemed like a kinda small Formation but I was posting from my phone and unable to properly research it.

thanks for the input
No worries :eek:k:

Look forward to seeing the new list.

·
Thordis
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Techpriest Enginseer.
1st squadron:
Leman Russ vanquisher, Lascannon, camo netting.
2nd squadron:
Leman Russ battle tank, Heavy bolter, camo netting.
3rd squadron
4th squadron
-
4 chimera's.
Bane wolf.
Devil Dog.
1850 points

main reason I am keeping the multi melta's in btw is because they have saved me a lot of trouble in almost each game I used that particular demolisher.

·
Thordis
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Techpriest Enginseer.
1st squadron:
Leman Russ vanquisher, Lascannon, camo netting.
2nd squadron:
Leman Russ battle tank, Heavy bolter, camo netting.
3rd squadron
4th squadron
-
4 chimera's.
Bane wolf.
Devil Dog.
1850 points

main reason I am keeping the multi melta's in btw is because they have saved me a lot of trouble in almost each game I used that particular demolisher.
tested this list yesterday and today
Saturday, VS necrons, not entirely sure what formations he used but I got my butt kicked and no amount of firepower was ever going to prevent it. save this save that, rerol saves. *trows hands up in frustration.

anyhow
Sunday I played this list against Dark Angels, he had one Death wing formation with belial and a land raider, and he had a raven wing formation with a death shroud an attack bike squad, and a bike squad with the master of the ravenwing on Jetbike and a chaplain on bike.
i Kicked his ass.

I think that most of the succes you can have with this list is about Objectives and how you deploy.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Glad to hear of your partial success! Necrons generally eat mechanized lists, it's their thing. Curious as to how Deep Striking the Land Raider went since all Deathwing Formation and Detachment units have to start the game in Deep Strike Reserve. I remember when my BA could take a million LRs and DS them all and it was a joke considering the size and typical amounts of units/terrain on the table.

Your comment about deployment is spot on though. You can take anything anywhere, but if you deploy like a fool you're bound to get boned regardless of the dice.

·
Thordis
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Glad to hear of your partial success! Necrons generally eat mechanized lists, it's their thing. Curious as to how Deep Striking the Land Raider went since all Deathwing Formation and Detachment units have to start the game in Deep Strike Reserve. I remember when my BA could take a million LRs and DS them all and it was a joke considering the size and typical amounts of units/terrain on the table.
the land raider deep striked with my vanquishers on one side and my executioner on the other side. Belial and the sargeant of his assault terminators got off one round of shooting before my executioner shot them to dust.
the land raider was rammed to death by my vanquishers shortly after. in the same turn teh master of the ravenwing died from a crossfire from a hydra, a battle tank and a chimera with plasma veterans.

Your comment about deployment is spot on though. You can take anything anywhere, but if you deploy like a fool you're bound to get boned regardless of the dice.
this is exactly it
all in all he could have tabled me if he had not deployed his land raider right in my formation. and if he had focussed more on the objectives.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Guard is soooo different than my Blood Angel army. With the boys in red I almost entirely ignore Objectives unless there's an enemy unit on it I can kill. Sometimes if my transports are still around at the end of the game I'll zip 'em out to grab one but mostly I spend my time getting into combat and punching things until they stop moving. Ten man squads are a necessary element of that attack style :laugh: When I switch over and play Guard I either don't move anything because the enemy has come to me or I over extend my Vets and end up with a crushed flank. Playing a mechanized force in this edition can be...tricky to get down.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts