Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the question I want to pose to Heresy today is where did the Guard go? Perhaps I've been too busy/tired or perhaps I didn't see the change but I cannot find the Imperial Guard anymore. Whether it's the supposed new "Guard Codex," or the main Games Workshop website, or even just recent Lore the name Guard seems to have vanished. In it's place I find the "Astra Militarum, or the Militarum Tempestus," which seems to be the new Guard with a few new models to supplement it's forces.

So here's the question: What happened? Did GW decided to do away with the Guard and put the Astra and Tempestus in it's place, or is the Guard still around but the new Codex's simply supplementals to what is coming?

Additionally I would poke at the fact that all these new "techoloniges" are being revelaed for both Guard, Marine, and Titan Legio alike. Is GW building up to something big or are they just desperate for sale?

Your thoughts and comments lads?

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I'm not into the Guard myself but at I have understod it the Imperial Guard has been changed to use their high gothic name, Astra Militarum and the Tempestus is their Elite strike force or something.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I don't believe so. In the codex itself, it still uses the word Imperial Guard.

From the intro is says, "The Astra Militarum, also know as the Imperial Guard..."

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fair enough, but does this mean that IGH players will have to purchase these new Codex's in order to play them?

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
The Astra Militarum codex is the 6th edition guard codex, so if you want to use the newest guard codex then yes you will have to buy it.

As for why the name changes, or using the high gothic version of their organization names, its easier to copyright and protect the IP of something fairly specific and original than something vague. Imperial Guard? You can probably find something that makes use of that name before 40k's guard did. Imperial storm troopers? Yeah I think Lucas beat GW by a decade on that one.

Also I'm pretty sure we have a thread or two about the name change and why; but who uses searches anyway?

·
Registered
190 Posts
I haven't read the codex fully in detail, but it's basically the same thing. With added units and vehicles. Who wouldn't like Ogryns in carapace armor? :so_happy:

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
I believe the Imperial Guard is a historic name used by Napoleon for his elite units.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I think Lucas beat GW by a decade on that one.
Good point, i see the wisdom in such a thing.

However here's my next question for you guys. With the Astra Militarum (or Space Military) the new Guard Codex what does that make the Tempestus? Is that a Supplemental Codex or an actual Army (like the Sororitas and Astartes)?

·
Thordis
2,438 Posts
Good point, i see the wisdom in such a thing.

However here's my next question for you guys. With the Astra Militarum (or Space Military) the new Guard Codex what does that make the Tempestus? Is that a Supplemental Codex or an actual Army (like the Sororitas and Astartes)?
I suppose you could see the Tempestus as the Codex: stormtroopers/ Schola Progenium

·
Registered
190 Posts
Me. They're overcosted point sinks.

When will GW learn to equate good rules = good sales?
I meant fluff wise. It was a hard to kill a flak armor Ogryn, now they wear discarded leman russ tracks. Bye bye chaos marines :D

As for Scions, I think they pretty much replaced regular stormtroopers. Not sure about Kaskrins though.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Damn near everyone has had an 'Imperial Guard', Russia, India, Japan, France, France again, Byzantine had what 4, that's not even the spear point.
...Sigh. The point was that its an already established historical entity and therefore couldn't be copyrighted by Games Workshop. But yes, thank you for pointing those out.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Curious. How will this translate into current novels?

Will things remain Imperial Guard in 40k, with just the Codices and models themselves being copyrighted with the new name, or?

For example: will we read any series that contains a book 1 that might just mention the Imperial Guard and the 2nd references the 'official' name as an add-on?

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Given that the term Imperial Guard is still used in the codex it's likely the novels will continue to use it too, at least in the text themselves, Astra Militarum is a clunky phrase.

I imagine the Imperial Guard novels will be marketed as Astra Militarum novels, and categorized as such by the Black Library but in the prose, the term Imperial Guard will remain.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Given that the term Imperial Guard is still used in the codex it's likely the novels will continue to use it too, at least in the text themselves, Astra Militarum is a clunky phrase.

I imagine the Imperial Guard novels will be marketed as Astra Militarum novels, and categorized as such by the Black Library but in the prose, the term Imperial Guard will remain.
It's a 80s poorly made for tv movie name, "Oh no Bob it's the Space Military, we must run through this tunnel while they fire terrible CGI lasers at us."

1 - 20 of 26 Posts