Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a warzone, particularly one where a large number of civilians are present, faith in the Emperor can become stirred up in a rather violent manner by a few loons with visions of an apocalypse. They can whip a mob up into an unstoppable frenzy, which occasionally is useful to Imperial troops trying to drive a foe from a world.

IMPERIAL FLAGELLANTS
6 points per model

WS/3
BS/2
S/3
T/3
W/1
I/3
A/2
Ld/8
Sv/-

Squad: 10+ Flagellants

Armament: Close combat weapon

Options: One in twenty flagellants may be upgraded to a mob leader for +20 points. The mob leader is armed with an eviscerator (see Codex: Witch Hunters)

Special Rules: Fearless, Zealotry

Zealotry: The flagellant mob must move as quickly as possible towards the nearest enemy unit, and must attempt to engage it in close combat.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
maybe instead of the 1 in 20, how about you make it a preist for every 20 IMPERIAL FLAGELLANTS? just a suggestion.

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I considered that. However, I wanted to leave it somewhat fluid in size, and didn't want to include the benefit of having a priest attached to the unit-- Priests actually are quite good, and I wanted to differentiate between them and some random shmoe-- it's like the difference between Mike Huckabee and Al Sharpton (for those of us in the US)-- both are religious nuts, although one's an actual minister, and the other is just a brown-shirt.

·
Registered
811 Posts
they should get furious charge too. if you have the mob leader he could bestow the furious charge vet skill for 3 points per model.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Are these a modification of the zealot rules for WH???
And aren't there 40k zealot rules anyway? I'm sure they were in WD a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
368 Posts
An excellent idea horus as per usual. I think someone may have been reading Sabbat Martyr lately perhaps? If you havent read it and this is fluke then you are a genius and i order you to read Sabbat Martyr for better insight.

At 6points they are a lot worse than a normal ork boy who, for the same price gets better stats. Maybe make it 4pts.
I will agree that they are not as good as orks for the same points. While i could prattle on about what i really think about the new ork codex i'll save all you ork lovers the trouble of posting nasty replies and instead suggest ways to rectify this.

Their zealots and they are mad as hatters. Giving them a preist will let them re-roll hits in combat when they charge, which is an awesome total of 3. Pretty good for a madboy. I see this being the only seat of their power and so would suggest (to bolster this and help them get close enough to charge before being minced) the holy rage ability as an attachment to them, the same rules as for the repentia. Roll for movement and on a 1 (or 1/2 if with a preist) they get an extra D6 movement towards the closest enemy. It doesnt change their stats at all and simply means they have something to aid closing the distance to enemies so they may charge. Orks are brutal on the charge but lose their edge when charged, especially by someone they would have a hard time outnumbering.

they should get furious charge too. if you have the mob leader he could bestow the furious charge vet skill for 3 points per model.
I dont think a bog standard man should ever be the same strength as a SM. While these men are very very crazy, i dont think they are superhuman crazy and devotion in the emperor will only take you so far. Furious charge would bestow powers on these mere mortals that are reserved for the holy astartes and assorted xenos scum only.

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oddly enough, I've never read any of the Gaunt's Ghosts series.

I like the arguments I've seen here. It's probably a good idea to make the mob leaders straight priests instead-- the holy rage ability justifies the points better.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I know this thread is a bit old, but I was reading an old WD earlier and I came across the rules for Zealots. Hang on, I thought, I know there's a thread about this on Apoc...

The rules were "Chapter Approved" in the UK edition 304. I've checked up as best I can, but it doesn't seem they were ever published in the American edition of WD, which I think is a bit odd personally.

Anyway, there you go. If you can track down a UK 304, there are the zealot/flagellant rules...

Good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts