Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now i know i promised to stick to simply my high elves and imperial guard but i have a campaign coming up in my flgs soon (1st of OCT) and trying to get my IG army into a fighting force by the end of September, plus fully painted, just ain't gonna happen. I don't have the money nor the time for such an endeavor at the minute.

And so i'm working on my Imperial Fist strike force. These guys were going to be apocolypse allies for my IG but seeing as how 500pts of SM are cheaper to buy than 500pts of IG i'm pulling them to the fore to be my main force for the campaign.

I have all the models i need for the 500pt force plus some left over so to start with this will mainly be a painting log of the force to hopefully try and keep me motivated (painting yellow is my worst nightmare).

First things first i present to you Captain Allesio Darius of the Imperial Fist Strike Force 'infragilis contego' or 'unbreakable shield' if i got the translation correct that is :grin:

He even has stubble (if you can see in the pic that is)

Now i understand the yellow looks streaky or dirty in the picture and this isnt because i put it straight over black, i went for a very dirty look the the fists and i swear it doesn't look half as bad in real life, if i can get better lighting and pictures i will.

"Allessio Darius attained his rank of captain at an early age after several decades of successful and honour filled service under Darnath Lysander, Captain of the 1st Company. Before this Darius was a tactically gifted sergeant within the 10th Company and a valiant defender of the Imperial Faith. This quickly earned him elevation through to the 4th company where his tactical knowledge was put to instrumental use in several key theatres involving the Imperial fists. Darius soon gained the attention of his superiors as his squad proved to be instrumental in the defence of a key imperial facility under assault from traitor forces. Darius and his squad managed to hold a key imperial airbase for several weeks against untold numbers of chaos filth using only their renowned knowledge of seige warfare and Darius' own command prowess to keep the foe at bay until help could arrive, thus Darius was transfered to the 1st company where he served for 40 years and was decorated on numerous occasions. During this time his tactical knowledge was built upon by Captain Lysander himself until it was believed that Allessio was ready for a command position of his own within the captaincy. And so Allessio was returned to his 4th company as captain. Allessio Darius serves to this day as captain of the 4th company and has led several defences of key targets using both his company and his prowess to great effect. And so it is that Darius leads stirke force Infragilis Contego, so named for the success rate both the 4th company and darius' carefully thought out combat plans both hold."

C&C welcome
Melsaphim

Please not i have named Allesio captain of the 4th company as i went looking for companies with already named captains and the 4th didn't seem to have one from what i could find, if this is wrong however please inform me and i will change it as needed.

·
Drinker of tea...
2,277 Posts
Mate, that is looking good so far. You should practice taking those photos a bit though, they don't do your hard work justice :)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Looking good, I like the dirty look of the paint and the captains head - the hair and stubble look cool. Not sure if it is just the photo and lighting but some of your paint looks a little thick, are you thinning it down? The highlights look a little heavy, you may want to try using some ink washes to cheat a little, that could work well on the weapons.

All said though Allesio looks great, keep em coming.

·
Back in "Sexay"!!!~
972 Posts
Looking pretty good. At first I thought that the yellow was blotchy, but on second thought I thought you were doing it on purpose, so good job if you were going for a dirty look.
One thing is that I think the face highlights are a bit too light or if you want it that light, it seems it should be blended in a bit more than it is right now.
Keep it up!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mate, that is looking good so far. You should practice taking those photos a bit though, they don't do your hard work justice :)
Yeah i struggle to get decent photos at all when it comes to my models and it annoys me cos they look a lot better irl (though i bet everyone says that :biggrin: )

Looking good, I like the dirty look of the paint and the captains head - the hair and stubble look cool. Not sure if it is just the photo and lighting but some of your paint looks a little thick, are you thinning it down? The highlights look a little heavy, you may want to try using some ink washes to cheat a little, that could work well on the weapons.

All said though Allesio looks great, keep em coming.
Thankyou, the paints are actually watered down quite a lot i think it may be the fact i'm doing several layers to get the yellow effect;

Dheneb stone
Sunburst yellow
devlan mud wash
Sunburst yellow
sunburst yellow 2nd coat
Gryphonne sepia wash
Gryphonee sepia wash 2nd coat

this seems to make the painting look blotchy or thick on close examination but works well for the dirty yellow look i wanted in general.

Looking pretty good. At first I thought that the yellow was blotchy, but on second thought I thought you were doing it on purpose, so good job if you were going for a dirty look.
One thing is that I think the face highlights are a bit too light or if you want it that light, it seems it should be blended in a bit more than it is right now.
Keep it up!
Again thankyou :) the yellow was meant to be dirty, as i showed above i did many layers to try and get a good yellow coverage but also a more dark and dirty yellow than the average fist. This looks good irl but in pictures it looks far too blotchy and uneven which annoys me but i guess i just gotta make better pictures.

Thanks for the comments guys and hopefully i'll have some more for you to enjoy soon as i'm working on the Tac squad that'll accompany Allessio in the field for now (like i said this army is for a campaign/tourny at my local flgs so i'm only allowed 500pts to begin with, no fancy command squad for Allessio yet i'm afraid)

Cheers
Melsaphim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts