Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of doing an Imperial fist squad. Any body have any exp on painting the color yellow? Mine havent been so fruitful.....

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Greyskullcrusade!

Woohoo! Glad you made it here! I love your painting.

Perhaps use the new foundation color as a basecoat, and you'll be set!

·
Registered
432 Posts
I use a grey basecoat to lay down over my black and then depending on what shade you want, I usually go with a dark yellow color and build my way up to lighter yellow from there. My Tyranids in the gallery are a good example of what i'm talking about.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I had a play about with those new foundation paints today In GW and the yellow went over black like a charm, may be worth considering as It's a right pain to build up yellow to a solid colour. :x

·
Registered
432 Posts
If you have the Vallejo game color Terracotta or a GW equivalent, that is a great basecolor to put down first before you paint your Red Gore. I use those in conjunction alot.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
cccp_one said:
the pissed off face has to be because it is a right pain in the arse building yellow into a solid colour, rather than a shit looking mess.
But it is easy with the new foundation paints, as he said. :D

·
Registered
630 Posts
But it is easy with the new foundation paints, as he said.
True but trying to build up desert yellow (watered down custard) up from black, oh how It makes me mad! :x

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had heard that an easy way was to basecoat the model white, and then give it a yellow wash> would this work? I dont use ink very much as my attempts screw up the rest o my efforts.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
No, really.

Get some Tallarn Flesh or Iyanden Darksun foundation colors, and paint them OVER BLACK. Thats right! Black! They are much heavier with pigments, so you get a solid color in one coat--even over black.

Then you can brighten it with other yellows!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
....fine fine......I was avoiding having to buy stuff but you guys talked me into it.

·
Registered
221 Posts
All my bright colours, for lack of Foundation paints, I go Black --> Fortress Grey (for reds)--> Desert Yellow (for yellows and oranges) --> Bleached Bone (for Bone and White) --> White.

Works pretty well if you're lacking the foundation colours. Haven't had a chance to play with those yet.

·
Registered
76 Posts
For light coloured models, i'd work from a white undercoat.
cover the model in golden yellow.
paint any metal areas mithril silver,
paint any red areas blood red.
water down flesh wash and coat the model.
then all you have to do is build up the original colours + highlights.

(basically its dipping but with ink instead of dip) Dinking?

·
Registered
13 Posts
if you want anything for converting, you could use the hands of the classic chaos warriors. they got good bulky hands which look good for fist army decorations, example put them where the vents are meant to be.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
DaemonsR'us said:
Ive found the same problem with red gore for my word bearers :(
Red gore goes over black in two coats tops. Maybe three if you get one of those bottles that has too much water in it. But it's easier to use than say, blood red.

And if it's Imperial Fists you're doing, then you'll need to worry about both of them, that is, red and yellow, because their trim color is red.

I would just prime it white personally. Unless you want to buy the foundation colors, then prime it white, cause yellow can go over that in maybe two coats.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts