Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going for rigid doctrine, inflexible tacticum and a general ability to whoop all comers' a**es when required. As per the Imperial Fist way, of course.

The games this is going to be used for will most likely be take-and-hold missions, or simple kill points. Advice welcome, ridicule expected, have fun reading it.

HQ

+Space Marine Captain Aubaton
--Power Fist
--Plasma Pistol
--Digital Weapons
--Artificer Armor

Command Squad Aubaton
--Apothecary
--Company Standard Bearer + Thunderhammer
--Company Champion
--Veteran w/ Plasma Pistol + Power Fist
--Veteran w/ Lightning Claws
--Razorback w/ TL-LC

+Space Marine Chaplain Rev. Parcheitte Chalisse (Pronounced Park Ay Sha Lease)
--Plasma Pistol
--Digital Weapons
--Jump Pack

TROOPS

+Tactical Squad
--Sgt. w/ Power fist, bolt pistol and melta bombs.
--9 Space Marines
--Meltagun
--Missile Launcher
--Rhino

+Tactical Squad
--Sgt. w/ Power weapon, plasma pistol
--9 Space Marines
--Missile Launcher
--Flamer
--Drop Pod w/ Deathwind Launcher

+Scout Squad
--Sgt. W/ sniper rifle, camo cloak
--4 Scouts w/ Sniper rifles, camo cloaks

ELITES

+Dreadnought
--Assault Cannon
--Missile Launcher

FAST ATTACK

+Assault Squad
--Sgt. w/ Plasma pistol, Power weapon, Melta bombs
--9 Space Marines
--Two flamers

HEAVY SUPPORT

+Devastator Squad
--Sgt. w/ Signum, BP/CCW
--4 Space Marines
--2 Missile Launchers
--Plasma Cannon
--Lascannon

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Here are my thoughts.

Relic hammer for the captain (like hammer of Dorn or something along that line)
look at adding combi weapons instead of plasma pistols
go with the plas/las razorback instead of the TL las

Add combi weapons to your tac squads and drop the pod for a rhino

Give the chaplin the MB, and a PF to your assault sgt. This gives you 2 assault guys that can pop armor.

look at dropping your plasma pistols and add a pred or a razorback to your dev squad for more fire support

·
Registered
670 Posts
HQ

+Space Marine Captain Aubaton
--Power Fist
--Plasma Pistol
--Digital Weapons
--Artificer Armor

Command Squad Aubaton
--Apothecary
--Company Standard Bearer + Thunderhammer
--Company Champion
--Veteran w/ Plasma Pistol + Power Fist
--Veteran w/ Lightning Claws
--Razorback w/ TL-LC

+Space Marine Chaplain Rev. Parcheitte Chalisse (Pronounced Park Ay Sha Lease)
--Plasma Pistol
--Digital Weapons
--Jump Pack

TROOPS

+Tactical Squad
--Sgt. w/ Power fist, bolt pistol and melta bombs.
--9 Space Marines
--Meltagun
--Missile Launcher
--Rhino

+Tactical Squad
--Sgt. w/ Power weapon, plasma pistol
--9 Space Marines
--Missile Launcher
--Flamer
--Drop Pod w/ Deathwind Launcher

+Scout Squad
--Sgt. W/ sniper rifle, camo cloak
--4 Scouts w/ Sniper rifles, camo cloaks

ELITES

+Dreadnought
--Assault Cannon
--Missile Launcher

FAST ATTACK

+Assault Squad
--Sgt. w/ Plasma pistol, Power weapon, Melta bombs
--9 Space Marines
--Two flamers

HEAVY SUPPORT

+Devastator Squad
--Sgt. w/ Signum, BP/CCW
--4 Space Marines
--2 Missile Launchers
--Plasma Cannon
--Lascannon

Thoughts?
Firstly thumbs up to anotehr Fist player :biggrin: . Lets look at the list:

Oh no, the Captain is completely fucked up. He has a power fist which makes him swing last so you're wasting his higher initiative and has digital weapons which re-roll to wound - why he wounds on a 2+! Fists like swords. Get a relic blade ditch the plasma pistol and digi weaps and get a storm shield. A S6 power weap + storm shield is the win! :so_happy:

You want a elite c.c unit go Terminators, Command Squad isn't the unit for the job. You want a Command Squad get buckets of special weaps on them and take a Rhino to fire out the hatc (take two special weaps) or bikes; but bikes works expensive.

I guess you'll be spliting your Tacticals into Combat squads, if so 5 Space Marines don't win combat all that often so I would drop the power fist and get more fire power in form of combi weaps matching the special ;)

A single Drop Pod is fail because the unit comes in and will be isolated. You want Drop Pods you need about 5 and then you lose mobility and armour protection. Switch it to a Rhino, oh ditch those Scouts too.

Should take Dreadnoughts and Assault Squads in pairs for multiple threat and unit redundancy.

Devs need sorting. Take either same heavies or two sets of two so two missiles or two plasma cannons that way you can combat squad down and have the same weapons doing the same job not a lascannon for anti tank and plasma for troops and light armour.

Hope that helps! :victory:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, this is a bit of an overhaul, but I'm now listing what I hope is a more intimidating list.

HQ

Space Marine Captain Aubaton
--Relic Blade, Storm Shield, Jump Pack

Troops

Tactical Squad (Sgt + 9 SM)
--Combi-Plasma, Plasma Gun, Plasma Cannon, Rhino.

--Combi Melta, Meltagun, Lascannon, Rhino.

--Combi Flamer, Flamer, Heavy Bolter, Razorback, TL-HB.

Scout Squad 117 (Sgt + 9 Scouts)
--Sniper Rifles.

Fast Attack

Vanguard Veterans Squad (Sgt + 6 SM)
--Relic Blade, 2 T-Hammers, 4 LC, 5 meltabombs (the sgt and 4 LC), Jump Packs.

Heavy Support

Predator
--Autolas

Predator
--Autolas

Vindicator
--Siege Shield

The three Tactical Squads can combat squad, and have the heavy weapons sit back, or I can transport the heavy weapons to a target location in the first turn, while the other half marches at speed to rejoin them within two turns. Also, as two Troops options have Rhinos, I can also just start the battle (if I need to) with the whole squad in the Rhino, rush them to an objective, and have them sit there and wait for the calvary to clear the field.

The scouts, I still like, because suppression fire, with 36" range, and infiltration gives me some advantage, with two 5-shot firebases to at least slow most infantry.

The Vanguard and Captain fly together, of course, and I figure I'll just start them on the table, as I don't like what scattering can do. Giving them such a mix of weapons was meant to make them a game changer (rip open a Land Raider, or take down a greater daemon, for example). I would have preferred Assault Termies, but again, I hate deepstriking, so I'd rather not, unless I had a few drop pods with locator beacons (so I don't lose anything to terrain scatter).

The heavy support choices are my response to a need for more shooting threats. Two predators should be sufficient, but while they're distracting enemy guns, I also have a vindicator to plough through enemy lines like a hot butter stick through knives... Or is it the other way?

Am I getting warmer, or is this new list worse?

·
Registered
494 Posts
the list looks fine to me. The only problem is that the vanguard cost a ton of points but i commend you there for using them. i would like to see how this plays out.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
what Thunder of Kayvan said, plus i'd try to fit in a ML on the Scouts for another fire support unit.

list is looking tighter though.

good hunting.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hmm. Suppose I could switch the relic blade to a lightning claw in my vanguard squad. That would free up the points for a missile launcher, and maybe a meltabomb for the Captain (against a LR, I'll take one str8 hit over 3 str6 hits any day).

OK, so:

HQ

Space Marine Captain Aubaton
--Relic Blade, Storm Shield, Melta Bombs Jump Pack

Troops

--Combi-Plasma, Plasma Gun, Plasma Cannon, Rhino.

--Combi Melta, Meltagun, Lascannon, Rhino.

--Combi Flamer, Flamer, Heavy Bolter, Razorback, TL-HB.

Scout Squad 117 (Sgt + 9 Scouts)
--Sniper Rifles, Missile Launcher

Fast Attack

Vanguard Veterans Squad (Sgt + 6 SM)
--Sgt LC, 4 LC, 2 T-Hammers, 5 meltabombs (the sgt and 4 LC), Jump Packs.

Heavy Support

Predator
--Autolas

Predator
--Autolas

Vindicator
--Siege Shield

Now, to test it out.

EDIT: Should I have dropped the captain's storm shield, instead of the sergeant's relic blade? Seems a bit redundant, as he's got an Iron Halo, but it is an improvement, as the storm shield boosts his invul to 3+...

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
i think i would drop one more Scout and replace the Vindie with two HF/MM Speeders or a third Autlas Pred.

but that's preference. IMO a lone Vindie can be easily neutralized.

good hunting.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmm. But then, I'd have one, not two sniper squads, and that would defeat the purpose of having so many scouts.

I had considered altogether dropping the scouts, in favor of some more fast attack options or something from elites, but I kinda like things where they are.

As far as the Vindicator being lonely, I don't think it has to worry about being targeted too much. There's two predators, that's 4 str7 and 4 str9 shots each turn. Comparatively more anti-infantry or anti-tank pain than a single Ord1 Str10 bomb.

With two predators moving in from any approach, a lonely vindicator's not going to garner as much attention, especially if I hold it back to play rearguard. I'm not a fan of getting raped from behind, so having terminators teleport or a ravenor burrow into my deployment zone just screams "keep that vindicator back for ambushes!". Don't you think?

Although, I would consider dropping the scouts and the vindicator, so I could put two riflemen on the field...

Not sure though. Lemme battle test the list before I decide.

·
Registered
344 Posts
really not a fan of vanguard their threat is just too disproportional to their survivability. Turn 1 they are the only infantry on the board except for a combat squad with a heavy weapon and basically just as survivable as the combat squad, so they will get shot to hell early by all your opponents anti infantry while their anti tank takes down your rhinos.

I also dislike scouts as they just don't generate much ranged firepower, if you are desperate for more scoring units try Inquisitorial storm troopers.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I tend to play on tables with some LOS blocking terrain in each deployment zone, so the Vanguard actually get to play to their strength. There's usually rocky outcroppings, or buildings across the table.

Only a combat squad and a heavy weapon? Are you talking about the one tactical squad that has a razorback?

There's two combat squads of scouts, which I like, because they can hole up in ruins on turn 1. Three tactical squads, and I plan to combat squad all three most of the time (didn't have the points to give three razorbacks, when all was figured out).

Plus, there's three tanks, each with the ability to kill off a handful of minis per turn.

Admittedly, I could have fielded an assault squad for cheaper (or two, or three). But, I wanted MC-hunters, and a squad of 8 (VG Vet+Capt) is pretty survivable.

As for the storm troopers, I'll look into it (Chimera makes them more mobile, and has some extra weapons for good measure), but I still like the scouts in 5-sniper units, allowing me to pin a squad or two, or even take a pot shot on a transport or two early on in the game.

If anyone gets a chance to field test my list before I do, could you post the results on this thread?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts