Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.

I hope this is posted in the correct thread, I couldn't find any specific army threads to post in, but thought this might be about the right area.

Anyway, anyone here bought the IA 8 book? If so, how different is the Elysian list to the normal guard codex?

I'm looking to maybe start a Elysian force, but wasn't too sure on how their updated army list looks. My mind isn't settled enough on giving the project a go ahead at the moment to justify spending the money on the IA book, so asking in advance how different the list actually looks? new units, organisation etc?

I'm obviously not asking for unit listings, but a general idea as to how the list looks.

Thanks a lot

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
Anyway, anyone here bought the IA 8 book? If so, how different is the Elysian list to the normal guard codex?
Fairly different. It's close enough to guard without being too far out. Most noticeable lack is tanks of any sort (from Chimera's, to Hellhounds, to Leman Russ and Artillery), while you do get heavy firepower from Vendetta's (Anti Armour, Fast Attack, Squadrons), and Vultures (Anti Infantry, Heavy Support, 1 per slot).

I'm looking to maybe start a Elysian force, but wasn't too sure on how their updated army list looks. My mind isn't settled enough on giving the project a go ahead at the moment to justify spending the money on the IA book, so asking in advance how different the list actually looks? new units, organisation etc?
Okay, well, you don't get the same number of heavy or special weapons, and they're severely lacking in Long Range Anti-Armour. Command Squads of all kinds can only get 1 Special Weapon, and army wide, infantry heavy weapon teams cannot get Autocannons or Lascannons.

Command Squads don't get Astropaths (they hate mutants) and Masters of Ordnance (too far from the front line), and only get access to 1 special weapon. You get to take the usual 2x Bodyguards and a single Officer of the Fleet - if running Alpha Strike, always take this. As said, there's no tanks, but you do get to use Valkyrie's as Dedicated Transports. They still have Orders, and get Deep Strike rules as standard if you don't want to use massed Valkyries. They also have Iron Disciple, that if within 6" of an Officer (still not entirely clear what an officer is, as there's nothing to state that, but I take it to be Company and Platoon Commanders). They do get Homing Beacons as well as options, but usually, Valkyries are better than massed Guardsmen Deep Striking. You can also get Auxiliary Grenade Launchers - cheap as chips 1 shot assault Krak Grenades.

Lord Commisar is the same, but can Deep Strike. Wouldn't ever take them.

The real beauty you want is a Long Range Ground Scanner. It's quite expensive and fairly fragile (68pts for 4 T3 models with a 5+ Save), but it's nasty as fook, tbh. You can choose before the game whether to let it Long Range Scan - stopping infiltrators from deploying that way on a 4+, but the beauty is Short Range Lock - a unit within 12" (or anywhere, if they have Voxes) reroll shooting misses on all their weapons for that turn (unless Ordnance or Barrage) on a 4+. This really only effects infantry, but it can be used on vehicles within 12".

Elites is Storm Troopers - they get Valkyrie dedicated Transports, but are otherwise unchanged (but don't get Iron Discipline).

Sentinels are Elites - They deep strike. you don't get Armoured Sentinels any more, but you get a nice little armour hunting deep striking suicide unit. A Multimelta brings them up to 50pts each, but just dropping them behind a Tank will see you murder something naughty - and the threat of Armour in the rear of your Battleline will see your Valkyries last a bit longer. Oh, and did I say? They Deep Strike. (They can go in a Sky Talon, but don't know why you'd do that, you just bleed Kill Points.)

Troops sees you get Infantry Platoons - same as before, but with Iron Discipline, Deep Strike, no Las/AutoCannons, and reduced special weapons. Platoon Commanders, Commisars, and Sergeants can all take the Auxiliary Grenade Launchers, and Guard Squads can take Demo Charges. Heavy Weapons Squads have Mortars, (decent, as you can Twin Link them with a Long Range Scanner, and they're cheap as fook), or can upgrade to Heavy Bolters, and Missiles (which Combined with the Scanner, you now get Hittiles). Special Weapons are decent. If you fancy to hold onto a home objective, 155pts worth of guard can combine squad and plonk down using Deep Strike or normal deployment, and this allows you to take 3 Special Weapon Squads in Dedicated Valkyrie Transports (oh yes, they have Valk Transports), with either 3x Meltas or Demo Charges. Oh, and you also get a single squad of Drop Sentinels as well.

Veterans are as usual - although every model with a Lasgun can take a UGL. For some fucked up reason, the Sergeant can't take a Lasgun, so can't take a UGL. Also, Forward Observers lose their Defensive Grenades, but get a homing beacon. Hence, Demolitions is the one I usually go for, but Grenadiers can be taken I suppose. They become fairly decent anti armour hunters when in a Valkyrie with Demo's - 3x Meltashots, potential 6 Krak Grenades, and then 10 Meltabombs. Don't bother taking Heavy Weapons unlike normal Guard, the Scanner means that HWS's are semi accurate, while the reduced hitting power is not really offset all that much to warrant losing a model (and hence 2 UGL's and a Meltabomb). And, yes, they can take A Valkyrie Transport.

Valks and Vendetta's have the same options and rules as Codex Guard - although Valks are now Transports.

Tauros Squadrons are fairly decent, for an Open Topped Armour 10 All round vehicle. They are Scouts, so can get in a good position, and can take Assault 2 Grenade Launchers, or Heavy Flamers. They get the usual Hunter Killer Extra Armour Gubbins, but that's not that worth it. They ignore Immobilised on a 4+, and rerolls Difficult Terrain when moving at Combat Speed.

But why take normal Tauros when you can take Venators? You get a TL Lascannon Turret and 2 Hunter Killer Missiles for 85pts a model, and +1 Armour on the front. Seems easy to kill, and well, they are, but they're hot damn decent at armour hunter. I've lost many a Vindicator or Predator to units of 3 of these moping around just dropping off armour breaking shots with serious accuracy (remember, the scanner giving you hittiles?). And TL Multilasers aren't that bad either now they're Heavy 3.

Cyclops are just fluffy gubbinz for collectors - it's got Armour 10 all round, and any penetration roll of 6, it explodes on itself in any case, and nobody with half a brain is going to let the worlds slowest moving basilisk shot anywhere near their lines. I suppose if you're lucky, they could be deep striked into an enemy line and detonated, but considering only models with 2.5" of it will be affected, that's nothing major.

Vultures, these are the lists badboys. You're allowed to take a TL Multilasers TL Autocannon, Missile Launcher, or Lascannon, or 2 Rocket Pods, 2 Hellstrikes 6 Heavy Bombs, 6 Hunter Killers, or 2 more rocket pods. Oh yes, that's right. For 175pts, you can put out 4 Large Blasts a turn. Remember that little Scanner? Oh yes, these bad boys are going to hit where you place them. I run 2 of these, and a further 1 with a TL Punisher (for only 155pts). They are fucking amazing, if I'm honest. Many people take them ASAP when I field them. You can upgrade them to be tough as well, although its fairly expensive, and as you need pretty much every point available to get some AntiArmour in (you need more Anti Infantry than 8 5" Templates and 20 S5 Shots rerolling misses?), it's not that advisable. They can get Flare's (reroll result if immobilised), Armoured Cockpit (ignore Crew Shaken/Stunned on a 4+), Infrared (Acute Senses), Illum Flare (acts like a Searchlight, but enemies can't see you in return), Distinctive Paint Scheme (once per game, friendlies may reroll failed Morale checks).

Then, you get Sentry Guns - Expensive shit artillery which break as soon as a Sparrow farts. They can deep strike though, but at 35pts for a TL Heavy Bolter, eh not too good. Sentry Mode can be decent, but then again, the Lascannons main strength (48" range) is lost as it's maximum range in 18 (36 with Point Defence). In Planetstrike, though, they can be set up as Interceptors.

Sky Talons are strange - they aren't included in any slot, so you can take as many as you want. However, all it has for an expensive 70pts is a Heavy Bolter, and two Hellstrikes (which for the usual Fuck right off price, take 2Rocket Pods). It's Sky Lift means it can rapidly transport vehicle units all over the battlefield, either a Tauros (including the Venator), or 2 Sentinels. For units in Squadrons though, they must all be lifted, or none at all, and must stay in coherency. It's not so useful for Tauros, as you need 3 Sky Talons to do this, and it's weaponry is not up to scratch to warrant that cost. Drop Sentinels is fairly good though, if you fancy wasting points - I usually only take twin Sentinels in any case, as I think 150pts for a suicide unit is way too much. However, if I ever took a Sky Talon, it would be so that they would be able to scoot off all over the battlefield, meltaing some unfortunate.

Lastly, we have Air Support - but the amount of Ordnance Weaponry they have for their cost (meaning no multiple templates) means that the Vulture smashes it more than point for point, despite the better initial weaponry. It's fairly resilient, though, being a Flyer (which many think is broken, but as said, it's reduced payload means that it can't effectively support the ground troops). On the bright side, a Thunderbolt has 2 TL Autocannons and a TL Lascannon, and you can obviously always go for the weakest armour. It's a decent tank hunter, only decent. As the Hellstrikes are Ordnance, they can't fire as well the Lascannon, and can't be TL'd, while a Vendetta has Three TL'd Lascannons. And at nearly 200pts before upgrades, it's not really worth it for the ability to hit rear armour with a single Lascannon shot.

Umm... That's about it, I suppose.

Hope that helps. As a note, the army is damn easy to convert to Codex as well - just take some Artillery, and some Chimera's, as well as backing up your HQ with more special weapons, and you're banging.

It's a fun army, and rarely ever do I get someone saying "no I don't want to play broken forge world shit". Of course, it's not broken, it's overcosted, and suffers heavily against many regular builds people take.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
hell yeah they redid them.

They can still let Lascutter's, but as they don't have Melta, it's not worth taking.

Also, oops, sorry about going a bit OTT mate.

But yeah, still what Winterous Says, Valkyries, and Veterans is the way to win.

My current army looks like:

HQ
Command Squad, Plasma Pistol, 3x AGL's, Melta, Fleet officer, 2x Bodyguards, Valkyrie, 2x Rocket Pods
Scanner Team, 3 Additional Men

Troops
2x Veteran Squad, 3x Melta, 6x AGL, Shotgun, Vox, Valkyrie, Lascannons, 2x Rocket Pods
2x Veteran Squad, 3x Plasma, 6x AGL, Shotgun, Vox, Valkyrie, 2x Rocket Pods

Fast Attack
2x2 Vendetta's, heavy Bolter Sponsons

Heavy Support
2x Vultures, 4x Rocket Pods
1x Vulture, TL Punisher Cannon

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can the updated Elysians take named characters from the current 5th edition IG codex? My opponent says yes, but I am unsure. If you could also point me in the direction of any reading material for either direction (yes or no) I would love to know about it as well.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
Can the updated Elysians take named characters from the current 5th edition IG codex? My opponent says yes, but I am unsure. If you could also point me in the direction of any reading material for either direction (yes or no) I would love to know about it as well.
No, because the Elysians have their own rules.
You could use the standard IG codex.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts