Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you prefer to take Infantry Platoons or Vet Squads and why? In what situations would one be a better choice than the other?

·
4,491 Posts
My personal opinion from my brief experience with them...

Vets with Plasma/Melta in Chimeras/Valks/Vendettas.

PCS's with Flamers in Chimeras/Valks/Vendettas.

Infantry with AC's as bubble wrap.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
i like to run 2 fairly bland infantry platoons, with an autocannon if i can afford it for most infantry squads.

if i have the points i will run a couple of vet squads.

either: harker, heavy bolter team, in a chimera with 2 heavy bolters - this squad is brilliant at chewing thru opposing guard/nid/ork/eldar lists

or: vets with camo cloak, 3plasma guns - i use these guys for sitting on an objective. +1 to their cover save means they wont be moved any time soon and the plasma guns make sure anything up to a terminator or predator that comes near will have a tough time surviving :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
I personally love Platoons, especially with Al'Rahem! Nothing is more satisfying (or hilarious) when 35+ men come storming in from the sides! It may not be competitive, but in a friendly game its always just fun.

·
Registered
159 Posts
It depends why you want them. my friends plays with them and super spams with conscripts. seriously? 50 guys rumbling accross the field for just 200 points?

·
Registered
620 Posts
Vets are definitely better if your going with a primarily chimera/valk/vendetta based army to transport your troops around. The ability to take 3 special weapons of your choice and shoot all of them out the chimera is really good.

Although if you prefer the spam of mass amounts of troops or firepower. The troop spam with mass autocannon fire can work out really well.

Personal preferance basically, but ive seen both work out.

·
CO 3rd Thoth ACR
486 Posts
I personally run 2 full Mech. Platoons. One with Al'rahem, Plasmaguns, a few power weapons & maybe a Priest or 2 in higher pt games. The other is pretty basic with MLs, ACs & GLs which I use to hold any objrctives in my DZ.

I won't say it all that competive but Al'rahems Platoon with lots of Chimeras sure makes a mess of things when it comes on from the side. Plus 7 Chimeras w/AC turrets, Devildogs, various Leman Russes and Manticores is allot of tanks on the board.

Like others have said comes down to prefence and what's fun for you.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I use both but i prefere Platoons. Ive been playing for quite a while and I just dislike the whole melta-mech-vet trend that all new, and sadly some older, guard players prescribe to. Veterans are probably the most competitive choice and i use them, usually one or two to grab mid-field objectives but i dislike using them as my only troops.

Tabling an opponent second turn is really fun, I've done it more than once with a Guard Gunline with basilisks, makes me giggle.

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
Infantry platoons for the base 2 troops, then maybe vets, don't like how they've become the "must have or your an idiot" unit for guard

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
I love blob units of guard. Give every sergeant a power weapon, add in a commisar and you have a very effective unit that can hold up several units in CC, stall a deathstar dead in it's tracks and possible hold more than one objective at a time, Pop a heavy weapon in each squad and you've got 5 firing out of it with 40 spare wounds for them. Come up as a little more expensive than a powerful troop choice like a tooled up BA assault squad or grey hunters.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Not using Vets doesn't usually spark 'you're an idiot' comments..in my area anyway. People take them simply because they have BS4 and can take a lot of SW's, plus a HW is they want.

Infantry are best used in a Gunline-type list, while Vets are best in a Mech list..both themes have their advantages/disadvantages.

I take a mix of both in all my lists..a PCS, SWS, & 3 Infantry Squads (combined), and with a Commissar providing the glue. I then have Vet Squads in Chimeras with Melta/Plasma. I also make use of Al'Rahem at times as well.

In the end you play with what you like the way you like, which is the way it should always be.

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
I play so far with a inf platoon and a melta vet squad in a chimera. Inf forming a series of units to slow down assaulters with all squads with a ml and a grenade launcher. So i can put blast templates down when i am facing hordes or krak missiles against armor or marines. the vets run inteferance

·
Registered
18 Posts
i like to have vets for the anti tank/terminator weapons. but nothing quite like having 50 conscripts charging about holding up the enemy while heavy weapons teams go on like rambo in first blood.

·
4,491 Posts
What are peoples opinions about running Autocannon Guardsmen in a ML/HB Chimera as oppose to Plasma-Vets in a ML/HB Chimera?

While the AP is better and there are 3 shots instead of 2, does it make up for the risk of overheat, plus the shorter range, plus the massive increase in cost?

Im a big fan of Plasma/Melta-Vets, but after looking at how cost effective an Autocannon Guardsmen unit in a Chimera can be im starting to consider changing my views.
I think having 2-3 Melta-Vets in Chimeras are still worth it though.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
They are ok as a firebase, but its not that IG have a lack of long ranged weaponry anyway. As a firebase the ML/HB is the way to go though.

To me taking Infantry in Chimeras is all about overloading the enemy's anti-armour capabilities by fielding as many Chimeras as possible...it's the multiple Chimeras that are the bonus, not necessarily the AC's (in this case).

Plus PlasmaVets have a different target to AC's, but if it fits your local game then go for it.

·
4,491 Posts
They are ok as a firebase, but its not that IG have a lack of long ranged weaponry anyway. As a firebase the ML/HB is the way to go though.
Yeh, i generally put ML/HB with Plasma/HW, or ML/HF with Flamer/Melta.

To me taking Infantry in Chimeras is all about overloading the enemy's anti-armour capabilities by fielding as many Chimeras as possible...it's the multiple Chimeras that are the bonus, not necessarily the AC's (in this case).
Yeh, basically saturation of Chimera-chassis vehicles. I think i worked out 13 of them in 1500 points, with 3 of them being Manticores.

Plus PlasmaVets have a different target to AC's, but if it fits your local game then go for it.
There is also the option of a Lascannon too. While the cost increases by 10, it gives the list more anti-AV13/14. Although that can be covered by Melta.

Actually, looking back over the figures, it only really saves 30-40 points a unit compared to Melta-Vets. Doesnt really seem like much. But i guess when there is 6 of them....

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Yeh, i generally put ML/HB with Plasma/HW, or ML/HF with Flamer/Melta.
I'm similar but only take a Hull HB if I also have a HW in the Squad, otherwise they have a HF and stay mobile, regardless of the SW they carry.

Actually, looking back over the figures, it only really saves 30-40 points a unit compared to Melta-Vets. Doesnt really seem like much. But i guess when there is 6 of them....[/QUOTE]

Yep, that's what does it..the 6 x's 30-40 = 3/4 more Chimeras. Basically form a Gunline, just Mech-style:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
i almost never run ml/hb chimeras, always either hf/hf or hb/hb

i find it streamlines shooting somewhat and it denys alot of orks/nids their saves(who are my main opponents)

tho i do like to run multilasers on my sentinels to be honest :D

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
p.s. my fave vet squad combo is harker, heavy bolter team in a chimera with 2 heavy bolters :D

will cut most things to ribbons, if not put a dent in there

1 - 20 of 24 Posts