Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Simply put, does Imotekh's Lightning affect the Main detachment if he is part of an allied detachment taken as Allies of convenience?

·
Registered
491 Posts
I believe it does as allies of convenience are considered enemies that you can't shoot or assault and Imotekh's lightning spell affects enemy units.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I don't think the Lightning would affect Allies of Convenience. I don't play Necrons but the rulebook says that Allies of Convenience cannot be shot. I now the lightning is unconventional but it is still shooting.

·
Registered
189 Posts
How is the power worded. I just had this discussion and since my Necron friend didn't have his codex handy we couldn't answer the question. But we agreed, if the wording says it's a shot against all enemies then no because you can't shoot your allies that are considered enemies. Oh Games Workshop.....
But if the text says it just hits all enemies, well your "allies" of convenience will also take a hit.

Of course he said Crons really don't need allies, they already have a solid codex. So no worries for him.

·
Registered
66 Posts
With 6th Edition Rules - Imotekh the stormlord is a pointless model. The nightfighting rules now just screws everything up and just makes his ability to turn the game into nightfight now affect you seriously! And then his lighting attacks is only on the roll of a 6 on a D6. His model is now pointless

·
Registered
703 Posts
Sinsinaty, the ability to make all nightfighting doesn't screw over Necron. We, for the most part, are short to mid range shooters. Against guard artillery and most long range fighters, we'd get screwed if it weren't for night fighting.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Night Fighting screwing with Necrons? We have 2 units that can shoot over 24". And it makes us virtually invisible to enemies with longer range weapons until we decide to step forward and shoot them. If it really bothers you, take Solar Pulses to cancel the Night Fighting on your turn.

As for the original question, the important part of the rule is as follows.
" ... whilst the Night Fighting rules remain in play, roll a D6 for each unengaged enemy unit on the battlefield ..." (Page 55, Codex: Necrons)
This would indicate that even Allies of Convenience or Desperate Allies can be struck. This is in fitting with Necrons though and how they view all other life. They don't care if you survive the battle, so long as they win. Of course, some players could have the misfortune of striking their allies but not the enemies.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Only 2 units that can only shoot over 24"?

Doomsday Cannon - 72"
Heavy Gauss Cannon - 36"
Tachyon Arrow - Infinite Range
Eldritch Lance - 36"
Harp of Dissnance - Infinite Range
Tremorstave - 36"

2 Units? thought not.

Nightfight with 5th Edition rules, made the opponent to shoot 2D6 x 3 = Range. 36" maximum range, now people can shoot and not even need to roll, that was Imotekh's special power for FREE! He's 225 Points for no warscythe and 1 weapon that can shoot one which is only 12" maximum. Before in 5th Edition you could not move and shoot with heavy weapons and stuff etc, with 6th Edition rules you can now do that. For nightfighting it's now made most tactics stupid! He's only 225 Points worth for that Strength 8 AP5 D6 weapon, which is only good in nightfight, which is not rubbish.

·
Registered
807 Posts
With 6th Edition Rules - Imotekh the stormlord is a pointless model. The nightfighting rules now just screws everything up and just makes his ability to turn the game into nightfight now affect you seriously! And then his lighting attacks is only on the roll of a 6 on a D6. His model is now pointless
I don't know what your smokin boy, but you're crazy.

Night Fighting is still awesome for Necrons as they only have like 6 things that have a range greater then 24" So it still Messes with your opponent waaaay more then it does for you.

He allows you to seizes the Initiative on a 4+. He has a sweet Staff that can fire a S6 AP1 line into COMBAT! He has 2+ and 3++ saves. And his Humiliating Defeat rule makes him a Boss for challenges.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I don't know what your smokin boy, but you're crazy.

Night Fighting is still awesome for Necrons as they only have like 6 things that have a range greater then 24" So it still Messes with your opponent waaaay more then it does for you.

He allows you to seizes the Initiative on a 4+. He has a sweet Staff that can fire a S6 AP1 line into COMBAT! He has 2+ and 3++ saves. And his Humiliating Defeat rule makes him a Boss for challenges.
How is he a "boss for challenges" he sucks!

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Only 2 units that can only shoot over 24"?

Doomsday Cannon - 72" had counted that
Heavy Gauss Cannon - 36" who uses that? overcosted and pointless given Gauss rules
Tachyon Arrow - Infinite Range who uses that? overcosted, especially for one shot
Eldritch Lance - 36" Cryptek weapon
Harp of Dissnance - Infinite Range Cryptek weapon
Tremorstave - 36" Cryptek weapon
I had actually said units, not weapons, though that is splitting hairs. So there are more weapons, but not many. I would personally rather have my Necrons for a Night Fighting game than say my Dark Eldar. Dark Eldar have Night Vision but just as few weapons as Necrons that shoot far. You can't tell me that with their Night Vision they wouldn't love a 72" gun. And yet, Necrons have the ability to grant Night Fighting to their longest ranged guns with Zandrekh. If you don't like Imotekh, don't use him. I will keep using mine, even if the Lightning is completely random. In large games, you can get pretty lucky.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
To be honest, his lightning never hits anything anyway. I'd almost prefer to have some action, even if it's hitting my allies!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Archon Dan, you said only "2" units can have them, I was pointing out you had clearly not check up on what you was talking about, therefore is a load of crap.

·
Registered
807 Posts
How is he a "boss for challenges" he sucks!
2+ Armor Save
3+ Invulnerable Save
5 Strength
5 Toughness
Re-rolls all To-Hit
Re-rolls all To-Wound
If he takes a character's last wound he get's D3 more wounds towards Combat Resolution.

Most of the time he's hitting on 4s, and wounding on 3s, WITH RE-ROLLS.

Also all of the weapons that have more then a 24" range are anti-Armor weapons. Witch you don't need to many of any more because most people are dropping their tanks, and even if they do have tanks and what not, you should have a butt load of Gauss that will wreck everything.

And he still allows you to seizes the Initiative on a 4+ (vs Non-Orks).
And his sweet Staff can fire a S6 AP1 line into COMBAT!

When you put all of his powers together he's freaking sweet. Oh and his "sucky" random lightning bolts have won me the game in my first shooting phase before. And if your going to use him then just don't use your long range weapons.. simple as that.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I can understand your point, but no power weapon, no force weapon, can only shoot his weapon ONCE! even if it is in combat he could still hurt your own guys, and he still sucks because he is crud in combat

·
Registered
807 Posts
I agree that no PW hurts, but he is ridiculously hard to kill.

I have been under the impression that The Staff of the Destroyer could be fired as a normal Staff of Light as well. The first line of rule text says: "This ancient and Ornamental Staff of Light was first wielded by Zehet, founder of the Sautekh Dynasty." But I could be wrong.

At any Rate he also has a Gauntlet of Fire (aka Flamer). So Overwatch goodness.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
"This ancient and Ornamental Staff of Light was first wielded by Zehet, founder of the Sautekh Dynasty." But I could be wrong.

At any Rate he also has a Gauntlet of Fire (aka Flamer). So Overwatch goodness.
Fluff ain't rules, so if it's in the little story bits it's probably not in the game, otherwise we'd have Antonius firing off all his Storm Eagle Rockets at once and then where would we be?

But Flamers are fun for Overwatch. Gauntlets of Fire are not quite as amusing as when someone forgets they're playing 6th and charges a PCS with 4 Flamers, but still good fun.

Midnight

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
But Flamers are fun for Overwatch. Gauntlets of Fire are not quite as amusing as when someone forgets they're playing 6th and charges a PCS with 4 Flamers, but still good fun.
Ain't that the truth, I had Shrike and 7 Jumpers charge a Sternguard of 10 on the weekend 4 Combi-Flamers and 4 Combi-Meltas, only 3 actually made it to combat.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Archon Dan, you said only "2" units can have them, I was pointing out you had clearly not check up on what you was talking about, therefore is a load of crap.
Hey, I made a mistake. Humans do that. No need to throw it in my face. I was thinking Crypteks and Doomsday Arks as my 2 units because nobody uses Tachyon Arrows or Heavy Gauss Cannons. It doesn't change the fact that Necrons are among the shorter ranged armies and thus less affected by Night Fighting.

Of course, taking Imotekh does make one reconsider Allies. Not just for the fact that all Necron Allies could be struck by Lightning. But Tau allies, for example, would be a bad fit with their longer range weapons.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts