Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I came up with this 2000 point army list to help me even the odds against the ungodly power of multiple Wave Serpents and Warp Spider squads. It is Chaos Space Marines with Necron allies.

Chaos Lord (80)

-Mark of Nurgle

Daemon Prince (265)
-Mark of Nurgle
-Wings
-Armor
-Black Mace

5x Plague Marines (185)
-2x Plasma
-Rhino

5x Plague Marines (175)
-2x Melta
-Rhino

10x Cultists (50)

Heldrake (170)

-Baleflamer

Heldrake (170)

-Baleflamer

5x Havocs (115)
-4x Autocannons

5x Havocs (115)
-4x Autocannons

2x Oblits (152)

-Mark of Nurgle

Destroyer Lord (140)
-Warscythe
-Semipeternal Weave

Cryptek of Storm (25)
-Voltaic Staff

Cryptek of Destruction (55)
-Eldrich Lance
-Solar Pulse

10x Warriors (130)

Night Scythe (100)

Aegis Defense Line (70)
-Comms Relay

So the plan is to set up the Aegis in a square with the Lord and the cultists on a home objective. As soon as they get shot at they go to ground. The Aegis gives them a 2+ cover and the Lord gives them Fearless so the should soak a lot of fire.

The Plague Marines and the Havocs get deployed on the table and everything else goes into Reserve. This is why I brought the Comms Relay as I really cannot afford any of my units NOT coming out Turn 2. If I go first then I will deploy the Havocs and Plagues more aggresively, if not then they might deploy out of line of sight since I will have so few models on the board Turn 1.

The Oblits are meant to Deep Strike behind some Serpents to ignore the Serpent Shield. If a Serpent turns around to fire at them, then my Havocs have free shots at the rear armor so they won't be able to escape. The Destroyer Lord actually rides in the Scythe with the Warriors and will jump out where he is needed. He is meant to be a distracter unit and a tarpit. He can jump out, survive a turn of shooting and then tarpit some Dark Reapers or go take down another Serpent.

The Prince and the Heldrakes are pretty straight forward in what they will do. That's basically the gist of the strategy.

I did design this list to be an all comers list even though I want it to beat Serpent Spam, so if you comment (which I always encourage) please keep that in mind: that I would like to keep it balanced.

So what do y'all think?

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Forgefiend(s) with Daemon allies for Prescience and/or Perfect Timing. And Daemonforge. Splat. Monstrous creatures with enough attacks that they can smash/glance AV 10 to death. A Lord of Change would fill both of these roles nicely.

Warrior Gauss works, of course. Glance those tough, jinking bastards death.

·
Registered
142 Posts
As soon as they get shot at they go to ground. The Aegis gives them a 2+ cover and the Lord gives them Fearless so the should soak a lot of fire.
Fearless units cannot go to ground, sadly.

If you want units behind an ADL to claim home objective, nothing beats a unit of Pink Horrors. Go to ground for that 2+ cover save, and re-roll failed saves of 1. They aren't fearless, but will automatically pass any moral check caused by shooting.
This is of course only if you choose to go the route which Mossy suggests, using Daemons instead :)

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fearless units cannot go to ground, sadly.
Holy smokes! Thank you for pointing that one out! That would have been a disaster if my opponent had known that rule and I did. It basically would've destroyed my entire strategy.

In order to make my strategy effective again, I had add a Cryptek of Destruction with Solar Pulse. This will guarantee my Night Fight first turn which is exactly what I need. Since my aegis will probably be as far away as possibly I should get Shrouded on it which will give me that 2+ cover save even withough going to ground. This way they can still have the Fearless from the Lord. Night Fight will also make my Havocs more durable in cover for the first turn.

I do believe that Forgefiends and a Herald of Tzeentch with Preciense is nice, but Forgefiends are not that difficult for Eldar to take out. You also can only bring a single Herald and you have to pay the troops task. Granted the Horrors behind the Aegis is pretty untouchable to range. However I lose the mobility and flexibilty of the Night Scythe and also have to bring Forgefiends :/

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Remember, also, that the Serpent Shield shots ignore cover, so an insistence on 2+ cover to save you will only protect against the basic shots. Meanwhile the enemy can lower his shields safely, since he gets a bunch of great shots out of it a mnd has Shrouded for 2+ jinks on all his guys that have moved.

Consider outflanking Noise Marines, perhaps? Lord on Steed outflanks them... but no, way to hard to get into rear arc for glances with sonic blasters (especially if they want to be stationary for better salvo, though ignoring cover is nice).

Imperial Guard Hydras? They can hit skimmers regularly (little known Skyfire fact!) and negate jink saves. Smacks of list tailoring unless you regularly face fliers, though.

I still think getting into melee with monstrous creatures or tempting Serpents to blow their shields and pouncing is the way to go. Or Tau with markerlights, high strength fire, etc. They're just, well, too damn tough and put out too many shots for a 135 point model.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Damn. Fuckin Wave Serpents! I forgot they ignore cover! That kind of moots the Night Fighting tactic, although I still think the Solar Pulse helps the army more overall. Remember, its still an all comers list.

But since you've brought up the fact that they ignore cover, I have to rethink my strategy. Perhaps, I will not use the solar Pulse Turn 1 and he will be tempted to send the Shields into my cultists. Then the Autocannon havocs can open up on the unshielded Serpents. I would do this if I went first.

If I went second then I would pretty much have to hide like a bitch until my big units arrive from reserve.

Also I really want to stick with Necrons...because I don't own Daemons, Tau, or Gaurd :p That being said, are there any tactics ideas y'all can think of for this list?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Despairtek with Veil of Darkness and 3-4 Stormteks usually means the spectacular death of a vehicle. That is the issue of course...just the one of them each turn if you are lucky with your deepstrike rolls. But it does give you a fast moving tank buster.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Silver Horde to gauss-glance the Serpents to death (and be able to soak up their return fire without too much issue/tempt shields to get blown so your high strength fire gets unleashed)? You can fit 40 warriors into an allied contingent...

·
Registered
358 Posts
drop the oblitaraters and take another unit of havocs with autocannons that 24 str 8 shots bye bye serpents also nurgle bikers with 2 meltas will give them a hard time

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
I'd say Obliterators and Terminators with Combi-Plasmas to Deep Strike into the rear armour. Sure, it's risky, but if you're against multiple Wave Serpents it's unlikely your opponent will have a huge army footprint, making it that much safer.

I'd take one of the Heldrakes with Hades Autocannon, to be honest. That really screws up vehicles since although it'll only hit twice on average, it's 360 degree LOS and sheer speed means you're almost always shooting into rear armour 10. That, combined with Vector Strikes, should probably munch through enough Hull Points even if he does mitigate with the Shield (in which case he's probably not playing too well, as Serpents should never have their shields apart from on player turn 1).

Midnight

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
I'd say Obliterators and Terminators with Combi-Plasmas to Deep Strike into the rear armour. Sure, it's risky, but if you're against multiple Wave Serpents it's unlikely your opponent will have a huge army footprint, making it that much safer.

I'd take one of the Heldrakes with Hades Autocannon, to be honest. That really screws up vehicles since although it'll only hit twice on average, it's 360 degree LOS and sheer speed means you're almost always shooting into rear armour 10. That, combined with Vector Strikes, should probably munch through enough Hull Points even if he does mitigate with the Shield (in which case he's probably not playing too well, as Serpents should never have their shields apart from on player turn 1).

Midnight
This. They have a serpent. We have a dragon. They spam serpents, we spam dragons. You field 3 dragons and go to hell, but you will win.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
If you dont mind putting out the points for VotLW upgrade on your units you could instead field a Black Legion list and take the black crystal.
For the price of a Chaos Lord with a mutation you get a one-use large blast that:
-ignores cover
-automatically causes d3 penetrating hits on any vehicle it touches
-s5 ap5 to anything on foot

I havent had a chance to try it out but it sounds like itll do horrible horrible things to wave serpents.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts