Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i trying to help one of my guys write a list for and up coming 3 round campaign against another club
there are a few rules
NO super heavies
no more than 2 of any unit except troops & their transports
no lords of war
no allies

basically he is dead set on using terminators from 1k...now i know all the too expensive not good blah blah comments.
its what he wants todo...
so heres what he wants to use

2x terminators both variants
death company LOTS hehe

so any help id be grateful.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Since there's some rules and such on top of 'must have' models, a few questions:

Is Unbound allowed?

What size are the 'must have' squads, as well as how are they modeled for weapons (/is this a wysiwyg environment)?

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since there's some rules and such on top of 'must have' models, a few questions:

Is Unbound allowed?

What size are the 'must have' squads, as well as how are they modeled for weapons (/is this a wysiwyg environment)?
no unbound is not allowed
he doesnt care on the sizes too much
no we arnt to heavy on the wyisiwyg as long as the model is what is supposed to be..i.e a terminator etc

this is what i was testing
preist angels wings
2 x tac with plasma cannon
2 x rhino
5 x th/ss termies (preist here) reroll scatter
5 x shooter nators with missle
7 x DC i thunder hammer
its ....ok...deployemtn and reserves are crucial..but every time i go on the attack (as we all know) he doesnt have much in the way of a reply.

so im thinking of dropping shooternators add 2 to the th//ss squad with lighting claws..that should free up 150+ points..

hes still kinda getting what he wants but a trade off for semi competitive

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
If he's looking at being 'competitive' then those units just aren't going to work for him, worse still at lower points levels. The list you have going on is OK, but I wouldn't DS the Hammernators (T3 charge soonest and zero impact when they arrive) or slow the Priest down (no Sweeping Advance/12" move capability) by putting him in there. Have you considered using a Chaplain as the HQ to buff the Death Company instead?

Also, Fists all day in the DC. Unless you're just going by the rule of cool (because DAMN that pose is awesome), Hammers just aren't worth the extra 5 points for Concussive.

every time i go on the attack (as we all know) he doesnt have much in the way of a reply
This right here is the key. When I'm introducing new players to the game I heavily stack my list in their favour. As they learn to use the units they like I start using more aggressive choices to match their skill level. If you're steamrolling him on the attack maybe you should chill out just a bit on your list, who cares if you lose a few introductory games right? You might find you get better as a general using tactically 'unsound' units from your Codex and the newbie gets to have a bit more fun not getting tabled for lack of more experience.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If he's looking at being 'competitive' then those units just aren't going to work for him, worse still at lower points levels.as i said to him but he want to use these modelsThe list you have going on is OK, but I wouldn't DS the Hammernators (T3 charge soonest and zero impact when they arrive) or slow the Priest down (no Sweeping Advance/12" move capability) by putting him in there. Have you considered using a Chaplain as the HQ to buff the Death Company insteadyes but he wants the priest

Also, Fists all day in the DC. Unless you're just going by the rule of cool (because DAMN that pose is awesome), Hammers just aren't worth the extra 5 points for Concussive.good point

This right here is the key. When I'm introducing new playershe isnot a new player to the game I heavily stack my list in their favour. As they learn to use the units they like I start using more aggressive choices to match their skill level. If you're steamrolling him on the attack maybe you should chill out just a bit on your list, who cares if you lose a few introductory games right?these are not introductory games and as a store owner i now how to make lists for new players but this is for an upcoming interclub campaign so he needs to learn to play on a higher level..which mean pushing his list and gaming level higher You might find you get better as a general using tactically 'unsound' units from your Codex and the newbie gets to have a bit more fun not getting tabled for lack of more experience.
as i said in the op..i know all to dos/donts that's why helping him write this list is a real challenge...but as the team captian i have to make it work....for him and for the team

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
he isnot a new player
these are not introductory games
he needs to learn to play on a higher level..which mean pushing his list and gaming level higher
Sounds like it's time for him to learn that sometimes his favourite units might not be the best ones to take. I have tons of units that I think are awesome and spent hours and hours modeling and painting but never see the tabletop in a competitive situation, as I'm sure most players that have been in it for the 'long haul' do. The list you gave him does well with the units he wants shy of some wargear nudging here and there, mainly I would play the Priest differently and shuffle the Troops section up a bit but that's not going to make it any easier for him to win matches fielding these units at lower points levels. Up at 1500 and higher you can get the padding you need to ensure those units meet their most effective circumstances, but at 1k you pretty much have to grin and bear the dice. Play lots of games at that level and go over all the things that went wrong and how your movements lead to them in an effort to not repeat the same mistakes, but you already know that.

I don't have time to do the math on it, but what do you think of:

Priest - Valour's Edge, Digital Weapons

5x Hammernators (Priest here, starts on table and ready to run/grab obj's in the right circimstance)

5x Terminators - CML

5x DC - Jump Packs, Power Fist

3x 5 man Tactical squads - Lascannons

If there's any extra points feel free to buff out the DC to include more members. It's a little stagnant for a BA army as far as I go but you can fix that when the tourny bumps to 1500.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If he's looking at being 'competitive' then those units just aren't going to work for him, worse still at lower points levels. The list you have going on is OK, but I wouldn't DS the Hammernators (T3 charge soonest and zero impact when they arrive) or slow the Priest down (no Sweeping Advance/12" move capability) by putting him in there. Have you considered using a Chaplain as the HQ to buff the Death Company instead?

Also, Fists all day in the DC. Unless you're just going by the rule of cool (because DAMN that pose is awesome), Hammers just aren't worth the extra 5 points for Concussive.

This right here is the key. When I'm introducing new players to the game I heavily stack my list in their favour. As they learn to use the units they like I start using more aggressive choices to match their skill level. If you're steamrolling him on the attack maybe you should chill out just a bit on your list, who cares if you lose a few introductory games right? You might find you get better as a general using tactically 'unsound' units from your Codex and the newbie gets to have a bit more fun not getting tabled for lack of more experience.
Sounds like it's time for him to learn that sometimes his favourite units might not be the best ones to take. I have tons of units that I think are awesome and spent hours and hours modeling and painting but never see the tabletop in a competitive situation, as I'm sure most players that have been in it for the 'long haul' do. The list you gave him does well with the units he wants shy of some wargear nudging here and there, mainly I would play the Priest differently and shuffle the Troops section up a bit but that's not going to make it any easier for him to win matches fielding these units at lower points levels. Up at 1500 and higher you can get the padding you need to ensure those units meet their most effective circumstances, but at 1k you pretty much have to grin and bear the dice. Play lots of games at that level and go over all the things that went wrong and how your movements lead to them in an effort to not repeat the same mistakes, but you already know that.

I don't have time to do the math on it, but what do you think of:

Priest - Valour's Edge, Digital Weapons

5x Hammernators (Priest here, starts on table and ready to run/grab obj's in the right circimstance)

5x Terminators - CML

5x DC - Jump Packs, Power Fist

If there's any extra points feel free to buff out the DC to include more members. It's a little stagnant for a BA army as far as I go but you can fix that when the tourny bumps to 1500.
well that is soo. true...but..its still his hobby and his game so i just have to do the best i can:victory:

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
its still his hobby and his game so i just have to do the best i can
Cool, right, so what do you think of the alterations to your list that I put forth then? I've since done some math,

Priest - Valour's Edge, Digital Weapons, Bolt Pistol

5x Hammernators

5x Terminators - CML

7x DC - Jump Packs, Power Fist

Comes out to 997. Of course you can swap the Lascannons for anything you feel like, everything is less points so you'll end up with something somewhere for them. Dropping them down to Missile Launchers or Plasma Cannons and dropping the Digital Weapons on the Priest can get you an 8th DC member or another Fist in the squad, among other things. Moving up to 1500 I would probably want to switch it up to two 10 man Tactical squads in Rhinos and add in a unit dedicated to long ranged support (whatever that looks like for this gamer). Any points left over after that goes into bulking the DC closer to 10 models.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes its very similar to what i was thinking..im going to test it of course...and see how we go..cheers for your help

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.