Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed lately I've been having serious problems with cheaters at my local Club. I don't know why.

The first person I noticed was cheating was a very close friend which some may remember from the thread "Chaos is too Overpowered." I recently played him with his orks. He was firing with a standard boyz squad and rolled a number of 4s. He picked them up to roll to wound. I said "Hey, orks a BS 2 aren't they?"
He replied "Yes, but this is my Mek army."
"show me the entry in the codex, then."
"No it's not in there."
"Then why are you doing it then?"
"Because it's my army"

A bit miffed at this, I looked for other games. I saw a first year nid collector, and I offered him a game. He proptmptly put all his forces on the table, his hive node, his biovore, his raveners and umpteen temagants and genestealers. I started to put my forces out. Started with the infantry, and then put my trusty ol' basilisk on the table, when which he let out a whine.
"No, you can't use that!"
"Why not?"
"You'll blast me to pieces!"
"Yes, but you said that the hive node can respawn everything."
"Ok, fair enough, take the basilisk and leman russ of then! Then it'll be fair."
"But that just leaves me with just a chimera!"
"So?"
Ok, not exactly cheating, but maybe a whiny first year. But it still doesn't feel nice. Any ideas how I can deal with cheaters like these? Thanks for listening forum users!

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
With the first case... it needs to be in the Codex if you're going to use it. House rules can be fun occasionally, but it sounds like you guys haven't been playing that long, so stay clear of messing with 'em and just use the rules as written.

With the second case... generally, for pickup games, you have an army list pre-prepared, and you use whatever's on it. It's all "fair," in theory-- the points are equal on both sides, after all. If he still doesn't like that, then you can either not play him, or tell him that he gets hormagaunts, carnifex, choppy warriors and tyrants and all that mean stuff, and guardsmen are just sort of...guardsmen. Good in large numbers, but not in close combat against tyranids. You're entitled to take three Leman Russes if you really feel like it, and there's ultimately nothing your opponent can really say about that, in the end.

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Stop playing against 12 year olds.
I'm kinda glad that my group is so offensive that we don't have many young players for very long. Our new players all tend to be our age... we have this room rented for us in the mall basement where the game store is, and while we're technically supposed to behave as if we were in the store... we don't. We occasionally say stuff that would make a hardened sailor blush, and the parents of younger players who hear the crass jokes and constant four letter words, stories from the Marine Corps from some of our players, and the occasional discussion of a victory brewski after the game tends to scare them off. :fuck:

In fact, just this last evening, we had an old man hold a cross up at us when he overheard a (joking!) discussion of raping and subsequently sacrificing a goat to Slaanesh before the game started for good dice rolls for the Chaos player.

That being said, younger players really are the lifeblood of the hobby, because that's how GW makes their money. Kids get into it for a bit, lose interest, but still have dropped a couple hundred bucks on it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I suggest you just not play them. They will learn that if no one wants to play them, then they may have to follow the rules rather than whine and make up their own.

I used to have a problem with my age. I was 15 when I went to my local vet. club and really stuck out. It weren't till I beat most of the vets in fair games without moaning that I managed to earn their respect :so_happy:

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
It seems to me that you actually like the hobby as a whole, while your opponents simply want to kill something. I have a few 'buddies' like that as well. They tend to ruin most of the events they show up for.

For your first mentioned opponent, just ensure that they discuss any 'house' rules or custom army rules with you first. Ask them to show you what benefits these rules give, as well as any negatives to balance them out. If it sounds off, then the game is off as well. Generally most players cannot be trusted to make balanced custom rules for their armies, lol. Some can, but these players are often the ones that try the hardest to work within the published rules.

Your second player is just someone who needs to grow up a bit. No one is just gonna hand them a 'win' because they deserve it for having the models. You seem to have bounced into two very dishonorable people in short order. Is there anyone in your group who has a backbone and a little integrity?

LOL... Today is my daughter's birthday, 8th. And, my daughter is intersted in 40K and IG so I explained to her your problems. She immediately stated that that is just not right... You need to play by the rules and by your codex. If your army can use it, it's fair, and no one has the right to tell you what you can/can't use in your army unless your in a tournament that says otherwise. Of course, I am paraphrasing a bit, but my 8 year old daughter told me just that. You're friends, I hope, are younger than she.

·
Registered
0 Posts
The way I always look at it is be polite with them but at the same time do not back down with people like that. The ork player I would have told he had to play his list as the book had them since he did not ask permission to test an army list, or make him show you the rules as he had them written. Wit the other player see if you could play a lower point game otherwise you were going to play your list as is. Explain to him the best way to learn how to beat an army that gives you problems is to play it multiple times and figure out a startegy.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
The first person I noticed was cheating was a very close friend which some may remember from the thread "Chaos is too Overpowered." I recently played him with his orks. He was firing with a standard boyz squad and rolled a number of 4s. He picked them up to roll to wound. I said "Hey, orks a BS 2 aren't they?"
He replied "Yes, but this is my Mek army."
"show me the entry in the codex, then."
"No it's not in there."
"Then why are you doing it then?"
"Because it's my army"
Just say you reduce the BS of ork boyz shooting at you by 1.
If they question that just quote:
"Because it's my army"

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys for all your help. Oh and Hespithe, your daughter must be the most mature little girl ever to say that. And the first year I was playing was about 12 :wacko:(though acted 3)

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
don't play them or tyell them to play by the rules or you'll castrate them.

i remember at a tourney called Devourer (biggest waste of £20 ever) held at warhammer world i was watching these kids battle (it was doubles combat patrol) 2 guard lists and a chaos sided with nid the nid play lost half his army in one round of shooting and started crying and throwing his models at the kid you killed them he was screaming about he must have been cheating to do that much damage I interupted and said "well if you can't stand loosing don't make up some crap about cheatin just don't play the game"

·
Registered
538 Posts
You have discovered the major downside of the game. There are also a majority of players who do not measure and move their models accurately or even within 2" of accurate. the list goes on as to all the cheating I see and play against. It is remarkable.
Granted it is not always deliberate. 1 player tells others what the "rule" is and they all go by it w/o looking it up. Then the wjole store ends up doing it wrong.

When playing those types, try to be polite and explain what the rulebook is and show them in print and pictures. If that does not work,then simply play as fast as a game you can. take 1 min turns. game over. you will unfortunately have a good size list of who not to play again until you see them playing right.

·
Registered
128 Posts
My experience with cheats is explain to them simply the rule in question. If they still refuse to believe you or start whining, then ask them to come over and look in your rule book. Its a good sized book for this so when they get with in range hit them over the head with it till they see reason, you would be amazed how few cheaters want to play with me these days. :grin:

Seriously though you have my deepest sympathy, i personally play in a relaxed yet competitive way and would struggle to remain calm faced with someone like that. the army lists are designed to be fairly even given the points cost, i always prefer a close and hard fought battle to a push over battle. The two people i play most with are the same and we all play the game for the games sake.

·
The Traveler
2,559 Posts
Well, I've only had two blatent cheaters in my 8 years, other people were either stupid or misunderstanding.

The one that stands out was a little kid with an Eldar mech army, I was playing Word Bearers. I shot a Falcon (holos and other cheese) out of the sky on turn one with double 6's for the field rolls, and he promptly said "It doesn't die. It has a shield."

And with that he put a marker next to it, and informed me it had 3 Void Shields.

Bleh!

With your case, the first guy is a slanderous liar and I would hesitate to play him again. The second kid seems to be a whiny little kid who can't fight Guard with Nids' (Highly destructive. 120 Hormies hitting your lines on turn one. AAAAH!!!), and is overly afriad of Blast weapons. Space out the Gaunts, and you'll never have to worry about the Pie Plate of Doom.

-Dirge

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
i dont think ive every complained about anything at GWS

apart from a gws staff member saying i was getting caught from crossfire

from people fighting inside a ork base

because there wasa gap where the scenery met

·
Registered
821 Posts
>> I hate fuckin filthy cheats:ireful2:. Give them a good hard boot in the nuts, then slap them down wi yer rulebook. If thats no to yer likin, as it may get you banned from yer local store, dont play them, and tell them the only person they chating are themselves.

·
Registered
51 Posts
If they don't play by the rules, simply state "Okay, well if that's how you want to play, then I will withdraw all of my units from the planet and initiate an orbital bombardment. I win automatically."

1 - 20 of 71 Posts