Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

II: Darius

14K views 120 replies 10 participants last post by  Serpion5 
#1 ·
Ok, so this is my first crack at a serious epic. This is a story about the primarch of the second legion, and his legion as well. I promise that future parts will be written so that it flows with the rest of the well know 40k history. Any how, hope you enjoy. Comments and constructive criticism are welcomed.

Darius
The Rise and Fall of an Angel

Part One​

“Lord Hector; for your personal safety and also for ours as well, I suggest we return back to camp, the sun is supposed to be gone around seven tonight. It is already six thirty. We can continue this hunt tomorrow after a good night’s sleep.”

“Don’t be so foolish Hadrian! There is plenty of light left for more hunting! In fact, I think I can see a prized gazelle in the distance! Sirius! Head over to that hill so that I can get a better shot at it.” Hector laughed.

“Yes my Lord.”

Sirius turned the truck to the left, leaving the beaten path and plowing through the dry grass and brush. The truck rocked up and down as it made its way towards the hill that Hector pointed out. But even with all of the moving and shaking of the vehicle, Hector did not lose sight on the gazelle.

“Stop!” Hector ordered.

Sirius slammed the brakes as the truck stopped on the crest of the hill. Everyone was silent as Hector raised his rifle, carefully aiming at the gazelle’s head. He held his breath as he made the final tweaks to his sight and pulled the trigger. The shifting grass was all that was left in his sights after he took the shot. Hector threw his rifle on the back seat, eager to see if his hit was true. He whipped out a pair of binoculars and looked at the spot of which the gazelle once stood and ordered Sirius to take them there. Sirius started the truck and began to head out to the kill. Hadrian on the other hand, was worried about the safety of his lord, keeping a close eye out, checking to see if there was any form of danger if they leave the truck.

“Right here! Stop right here!” Hector said with excitement.

Hector and Hadrian jumped off the truck, wading through the tall grass to their prize. There they found the gazelle, dead, with a bullet through the heart. Hector slapped the back of Hadrian, proud at their great find of a game animal. Hadrian, however, did not show the same level of enthusiasm; for he was much too busy keeping watch for his lord.

“By god this is an excellent find! It looked like an impossible shot, but I have proven the odds wrong! This prize is definitely worthy of celebration! Come Hadrian; let us head back to camp and drink to this!” Hector rejoiced.

“Well, to be honest; you were quite lucky to find such a beast before the sun finally set. But no matter, let us head back now.” Hadrian said, keeping a watchful eye out.

The two lugged the massive gazelle back to the truck, strapping it to the back panel. Eager to head back and celebrate, Hector called main camp and ordered them to set up some refreshments upon their arrival. With constant joking and questions, Hector finally convinced Hadrian to loosen up a bit. The two sat in the back, chatting away on various subjects before Sirius interrupted them. He pointed out that the road ahead of them was completely destroyed. Burn marks and heavy cracks were strewn across the small piece of road. But the damage did not stop there. Similar marks were seen to be in the grass and plains, so much as there wasn’t any grass at all, just burnt ground. Hadrian asked Hector to stay seated, but Hector’s curiosity got the better of him.

“My lord, I believe that it will be safer for us to stay here instead of exploring this massive trail of destruction. I can send some troops tomorrow to explore it if you wish, but now we need to head back.” Hadrian highly suggested. Hector ignored him.

“I think I see something at the end of this trail. Sirius! Can you take us to the end of this trail?” Hector said, squinting his eyes to see if there really was something at the end.

Sirius shifted gears as they went off road, driving down the burnt trail. The farther they went down, the damage appeared to get wider and more devastated. Eventually they reached a point where they could not drive any farther. The ground was distorted and charred, as if something had fallen from the sky. Hector jumped out of the truck, holding his rifle in his hands as he slowly made his way down the road of destruction. Hadrian immediately followed, worried for his lord’s life. They continued until they reached a massive crater. They looked in awe to see the size of the damage that this crater has caused to the land around it. Rocks and boulders were strewn all over the place as if a warhead had gone off.

“Hadrian, why wasn’t I informed of such a ‘change in the landscape’? Surely this was known before we left. I mean, how can anyone not notice a meteor hitting the earth… Or… An explosion of such power so close to our city?” Hector asked slowly.

“My lord, I am just as surprised and curious as you. I think-“

“What is that over there in the center? It looks like some sort of a metal container…” Hector said, cutting off Hadrian in mid sentence.

Hector quickly walked over to object. He looked at it, confused at the concept of a random metal object found at the center of a devastated site. Hadrian followed, suggesting that the crater and the trail of destruction were caused by this container, maybe as a piece of space craft that finally descended from the sky or a part of an airplane. Hector disagreed, pointing out to the fact that the container was in great shape, a state that is almost impossible to happen if it crashed into solid dirty ground. But more importantly, some else caught his eye on the metal container. With the help of Hadrian, they pushed it over to the side and revealed what appeared to be a glass door. Surprised that this fragile door was intact, he opened it, unprepared for what he was about to see. In the metal container was a baby, asleep and dreaming as if it never felt the crash.

“By god! A new born child! Tell me, am I dreaming or is this real?!” Hector said baffled.

Hadrian steped in to take a closer look. He too was astonished about this discovery.

“I am afraid that your eyes are not lying. That is a new born child!”

“What is a child doing in a container in the middle of nowhere? Especially when it’s in the center of a crater?” Hector continued to ponder.

“I don’t know my lord. I can’t think of anything that could explain this… But we can figure this out later. The sun is gone and it is getting cold out. Lets us leave and take the child with us, for we could find it some foster parents back in the city.” Harridan said, prompting Hector to move along.

Hector and Hadrian headed back to the truck, Hector holding the small child in his arms. He kept looking at the babe, gazing at its closed eyes, as if nothing was going on. He marveled at the beauty of the child as they drove, mesmerized by the babe’s perfection. No child he has seen has been neither this perfect nor this peaceful. He paid close attention to the child, keeping him still while the traversed the rough road back to camp, trying to keep him asleep. As soon as they stepped out, they were greeted by their servants. Some of them brought some water for them while others marveled at the new found child. Hector took the babe to his tent and laid him on his bed, watching the child sleep peacefully. He walked outside to Hadrian, confused at this entire situation.

“Hadrian… Since we have found this child, I have kind of felt… felt a small attachment to him.”

“What do you mean my lord?” Hadrian looked at him, confused by his statement.

“I mean… I feel like he is my own son… to put it at simpler terms. Sure we have only found this child a half hour ago, but I feel like there is some sort of connection between me and him.” Hector said honestly.

“Well… I don’t know what to say. I’ve never had children, so I do not know what to make of this situation.”

“Well… I feel it would be best that I should adopt him to the family. I mean… me and Isabel… We don’t have a child of our own! She can’t bere any either! Not only we get a son, but we also get an heir to Valencia!” Hector said, sounding like he was a genius.

“I don’t think Isabel would appreciate this move without her consent. I’m just pointing out that we found him in a metal container in the middle of nowhere and honestly I am suspicious about this child.” Hadrian admitted.
“Well, tomorrow we shall take him back to the manor and ask Isabel.” Hector smiled.

The next day Hector and his party returned back to Valencia, the city state of the region. Hector took the small child, who was awake yet calm, and walked proudly up to the manor. He found Isabel, sitting in the commons with some of her servants, weaving another custom garment.

“I see that you are back from your hunting- What is that?!” Isabel screamed in surprise.

“I found him in the plains, left to die by some unknown careless parents.” Hector lied.

Isabel rushed over and grabbed the child, holding him in her arms like a natural mother.

“Oh this poor child! Why would his parents do such a horrible thing?! Just look at him, he is a beautiful babe… and they left him to die!” Isabel said astonished by the dishonorable parents.

“Now Isabel… This may sound like a lot to take at once, but as the ruler of Valencia and the man of the household, I say we should adopt this child into our family!” Hector said, trying pull of the idea as a wonderful thing.
Isabel looked at him for a bit, contemplating about this wild decision. But she looked at the child again, and knew it in her heart that he was theirs.

“Absolutely dear… He shall make a wonderful son and heir.” She softly said, blessed by a chance to have a child. “Does he have a name?”

“Um, I don’t think so.”

“Well… I have the perfect name for him… His name… shall be Darius…” She said, smiling at the child as it giggled with joy of his new family.

See less See more
Discussion starter · #3 · (Edited)
It had been fifteen years since the day that Hector has brought Darius into the family. Darius grew up to be a child of rare perfection, excelling at the art of rhetoric, literature, humanities, mathematics and philosophy. Such feats in the academics have surprised the professors and scholars of the city of Valencia, praising the child as a perfect heir to the governor. But even with this blessed intellect, Darius was still young, waiting for his father’s approval in helping run the city, something that he felt would prove himself as a man. But that time was almost here, for on Darius’s sixteenth birthday, he was allowed into the governor’s council, taking the part of helping out the senators who counseled his father. At first he was elated by this promotion, finally thinking that he reached manhood. But over the weeks, he felt that this did not do justice in proving his transition from being a child. But after much pondering and thinking, he realized that being of service to the council was not the way to prove his adulthood, but going on those grand hunting trips with his father was. If he could get a prized animal, it would show that he was truly an adult. He needed to go on one he concluded.

It was a summer night during dinner that Darius finally asked his farther that they could go on a hunting trip. Hector, surprised at this suggestion, returned Darius’s question with a smile.

“You know, I do believe it would be the perfect time that I should take Darius on a hunting trip Isabel. I can tell that he has waited patiently for this, and now I think it would be the perfect time to do so. But these trips are not to be taken lightly. Though the game out on the plains are beyond perfect, the beasts of the wild are also incredibly dangerous.” Hector said.

Darius looked at Hector with interest “So what kind of animals and beasts are there?”

“I will give you a few for starters, for there is too much to say in one sitting.” Hector laughed. “Anyhow, there are gazelles, appalas, the rare hyrax cat, and the prized herrus bird.”

“How rare?” Darius said, even more captivated.

“See this scarf?” Isabel pointed out on the shelf of the fire place, locked in a glass box. “That thing is about three year’s salary for the common citizen.”

Darius stared at the scarf, marveling at the textures and incredible colors that it had. He now knew what he was going to hunt on the trip: a herrus bird.

“What happens if I catch one… alive?” Darius asked with a grin on his face, expecting his parents to say it was impossible.

“Well, if you do, then I would suppose that you could keep it for yourself.” Isabel chuckled.

“If you catch on alive, then pigs can fly… Anyways, as I said before, there are some creatures that are incredibly dangerous that I should warn you about.” Said Hector, clearing his throat to tell more. “There are lions, wild wolves, and the most terrifying creature of them all… A kalaptas.”

“What is a kalaptas?” Darius asked curiously.

“It is a large reptilian creature, about as long and as wide as this table. It has claws that can render through the steel plates of the trucks and has the strength to crush a man like a twig. It is also incredibly smart for a reptile and very clever… especially at ambush.” Hector explained seriously.

Darius realized that the reason why he was never invited was that it was quite dangerous. But this made it all the more exciting and important to go.

“So when do we leave?”

“Well… We could leave by the end of this weekend… I need to tell Hadrian and the council of this short trip.”

“Do we have to bring Hadrian? I mean, he is so stern and boring.” Darius joked.

“Son… He may be boring, but he has the best shot that anyone has in this galaxy. Now then, go off to finish your studies.” Hector said, waving Darius off to his room.

Darius mumbled about his forced leave, but that did not matter. He was too excited for this trip. A chance of a life time. A chance to prove himself.

“Come on Darius! We need to leave soon if we want to catch the sun at the right time! Most of the game is around in the early morning!” Hector yelled.

Darius lugged the last of the supplies in the truck, throwing them in the back on top of the other massive bags. They loaded in and waved good bye to Isabel, standing out on the front. They drove through the city, passing through roads and traffic. Finally, they arrived outside of the walls. Darius has never been outside the city before, and he stared at awe, looking across the endless sea of grass and brush. The farther they drove away from the city, the more the landscape changed. Rivers, rolling hills, tall grass and the occasional boulder painted the landscape. In Darius’s eyes, it was beautiful. The sun began to shine a bit brighter as early morning was arriving. There he could finally see the wild life. Various birds soared through the sky as buffalo and gazelles drank from the rivers in the distance. It was a paradise to him.

The truck stopped at a top of a hill. Darius asked his father why they stopped, but was immediately hushed. Hector pointed out in the distance a large gazelle, one that boasted beautiful horns and vivid patterns on the skin. Hector pulled out his rifle, loading it with a slugger. He handed it to Darius and whispered quietly.

“Here is a perfect shot! Now then, aim for the heart which is located in the front of the chest.”

Darius held up the rifle, aiming at what his father told him. But something else caught his eye in the distance. A black little object sitting on top of a boulder, much farther away than the gazelle. He knew what it was, and he knew he had to get it. Immediately Darius unloaded the gun, replacing the slugger with a tranquilizer shot. Hector was confused about this, telling him that he should take the shot at the gazelle. But it was too late. Darius aimed at the black object and fired, hearing the whistle of the dart fly through the air. He kept his sight in the scope, watching the black little object fall over on the ground.

“What was that for!? You had a perfectly good shot! What were you thinking?!” Hector roared with anger.

“Watch” Darius said with a smile.

He grabbed a small cage from the back and jumped out of the safety of the truck. He waded through the grass at unnatural speed, running towards the boulder. Hector called out for his safety while Hadrian followed him with a rifle and blade in hand. But Darius was too far ahead. He reached the base of the boulder and found the object he shot at: a herrus bird. He scooped up the creature and placed it in the cage, unconscious from the tranquilizer. He walked back with a care-free look, holding his prized possession in one hand. Hadrian caught up and grabbed his arm, dragging him back to the truck.

“What were you think you were doing?!” Yelled Hector, angry at Darius’s foolishness for his own safety.

Darius smiled as held up his cage. The crew gasped with awe at the feat that Darius accomplished. The herrus bird sat there, slowly waking up from the drug, chirping as it moved. Hector, while still mad at him, was astonished by this feat. Hadrian too was impressed by not the find, but the shot Darius made.

“I can’t believe it with my own eyes…” Gasped one of the crew members.

“Well… Shall we continue hunting?” Darius asked with an innocent smile.

They continued on their road, driving farther and farther into the wilderness. The landscape began to look a little more arid but still alive with life. Darius sat in the back with Hadrian, looking at the bird in the cage. He wondered why would a creature like this would not fight to get out, or even at least retaliate with chirping and screaming. Instead, it just sat there, with a look of defeat and peace, an odd combination. He set the cage down on the bottom of the floor to make room on his lap. Just as he looked out the truck, a large object in the distance caught his eye. He pulled out his binoculars and zoomed in on what caught his attention. There stood in the distance a large grey structure. A very large structure. It was a ruined step pyramid, layering up ten levels before it flatten out. In the front was a large stair case, worn and beaten from the weather. Lastly, he could see several columns on the top, barely holding their own against the powers of nature.

“Father, do you know what that is in the distance?” Darius asked, pointing to the ziggurat.

Hector turned his attention to what Darius was pointing at. Immediately he turned his head back, ignoring the structure.

“We don’t talk about that structure Darius. It’s a part of the landscape that you should forget and ignore.” Hector scorned.

“Why?” Darius asked.

“It is a cursed place. A bloody place. A mad place.”

“Is there something that plagues the site? A bad history of some sort?” Darius now intrigued by the nature of the structure.

Hector sighed. “It belonged to a mad group of people who raided the country side thousands of years ago. They would slaughter and burn the fields where ever they went, causing havoc among the land. The old culture that was here before us finally eradicated them, chasing them back to the temple. They made their last stand there, but in the end they were hewed down. It was what they discovered that was the reason they shunned that place. Mass orgies of necrophilia, cannibalism, blood sacrifices and insanity were found. They burned the place to the ground. Ever since then, anyone who has a brain cell avoids that place.”

“If they’re gone, than why do we still avoid it?” Darius asked with even more interest.

“Well, in rational forms, it’s a dead place; no reception and electronics fail there. It’s also dangerous to venture around it. Finally, it just gives me the creeps going by… so okay, I exaggerated the spiritual curse of the area, but the history is still true. It’s just better to avoid it.”

Darius took heed of his father’s words, but something in his soul desired so much to go see the ancient place. The curiosity burned in his bosom to the point that he finally vowed to himself that he will go see it. Though he won’t be able to see it now, he will sometime soon, and he will climb those stairs and stand at the top. But for now he will play along the role of not caring for it. He sat there quietly, waiting to reach the camp.

“Ah, you should have seen Darius today! He caught a herrus bird alive, right here in this cage! At first I was scared for my life when he left the truck, but when he came back with it, it was just too amazing for words!” Hector told everyone in the camp proudly.

Darius listened on as his father praised his accomplishments of the day, including killing a prized gazelle and another game creature. He sat behind the tent door, listening with pleasure from the praises of the other people. But it has been a long day for Darius, and instead of continuing to listen he moved off into bed, sleeping for the first time in about a week. He snuggled into a comfortable position, dreaming that this night will be peaceful. But this sleep was not peaceful.

He woke up and found himself sleeping on a carpet on a stone floor. He looked around to see that he was inside of some sort of palace, with massive stone columns lining the hall way down. Though the braziers attached to the columns provided the only source of light, he could see everything. He looked on the walls to see large frescos of warriors hunting animals and religious rituals. Rather than sitting around, he got up and walked down the hall. At the very end were two massive doors, each decorated with intricate and beautiful metal work. With all of his might, he pushed the two doors open, and saw that it lead to a royal chamber of some sort. There he saw dancers dressed in elaborate clothing and jewelry, dancing around in the middle. On the sides were men and women of nobility, watching the exotic dancers for entertainment. But at the very end of the room were the king and queen, talking with other princes and princesses. But what surprised him the most was that he was invisible to these people. He would walk up to them and touch them, but they wouldn’t do a thing, in fact, they probably didn’t feel anything! It was a dream, a very beautiful dream… for the moment.

He continued to walk around, looking at the dresses of the people and the art of the room, enjoying this fabulous vision. But when he was familiar with the area, a flash came across his eyes. Next thing he knew it was the same room and people, but it had changed. The dancers were naked and scarred and the people wore fewer clothes. The art and decorations looked worn out and beaten as well as the architecture. The nobility were indulging themselves in acts of semi-hedonism, such as taking drugs and public pleasuring, but yet were not totally submerged in such self indulgence. The king and queen too changed. The king sat on his throne, now moved to the center, while the queen was tied to a chain, naked and arousing the man. When Darius thought that it couldn’t get any more degrading. Another flash crossed his vision, and the room was different again… Drastically different. This time the art was worn out to an almost unrecognizable state. The metal works were gone and the walls were covered in blood. The nobility were engaged in acts of carnal pleasure that were the most abominable. Necrophilia and rape he witnessed, while others were pleasuring themselves through self mutilation and pain. The king in the middle, now looking like a mad man, was sodomizing the queen in a disgusting manner. Darius couldn’t stand this sight, it was too horrendous. He closed his eyes, trying to wake himself up, tearing up by such debauchery that frightened him. But he opened them again against his will, to see the entire room frozen as if time itself stopped.

Darius started to breath heavily all of a sudden. The air felt so thick and dense, that his breathing caused him to break into a heavy sweat. He fell to his knees gasping for air, his lungs exhausted from working so much. He looked in front of him to see a dead deteriorated body of a defiled child, causing his stomach to revolt against his body. Just when he was about to pass out, a voice, a voice of such insanity and hate, spoke softly to him:

“The king was a weak man…”

Darius woke up and found himself in his bed. He threw off the covers, and found himself sweating profusely from that horrible nightmare. He looked around to see that it was the crack of dawn, the sun shining dimly through the cut out windows. He got up, and walked outside, letting the cold morning dew cool him down. While he remembered the dream perfectly, the thing that he would never forget was the voice before he woke.

Discussion starter · #5 ·
(Sorry Doelago, but this post is not part of the story :p)

This in all honesty is probably my most ambitious work. I have spent so much time on each chapter, so I promise that each chapter/part will be of best qualities according to my skill. Thank you for your support and enjoyment,

Discussion starter · #6 · (Edited)
“Oh it’s so great to see you two back alive and well! How was the trip?” Isabel said, embracing Darius as he walked up the stairs into the common room.

“Oh you won’t believe what our son here caught! Not only killed a rare prized gazelle, but he caught a herrus bird!” Hector said proudly.

“No, you didn’t!” Isabel said in disbelief.

“Oh yes I did!” Darius said, pulling out the little cage with the bird in it. “And you know what?.. It’s for you mom!”

Isabel gasped in surprise. “How… How… How did you get it?”

“A good shot?” Darius chuckled.

Isabel held up the cage and looked at the beautiful little bird. It chirped in a strange manner, sounding like it was singing rather than chirping.

“It’s so beautiful! Oh thank you sweetie!” Isabel said, hugging Darius.

The three of them continued talking about the hunting trip, most of the time spent with Hector praising Darius’s amazing natural skills with a rifle. This ended only when servant called them for dinner. They continued their talk about the hunt during dinner, but rather than participate in the conversation, Darius remained quiet. He could not get his mind off of the dream the night before and the building. He personally knew that he should stay away from that building, but deep inside he knew he must see it! When dinner was over he headed to his room. But little did his parents know that he was not planning to spend the night at home. He made the decision: he will see that ziggurat. Quickly, he tied together a long rope made from his bed sheets and cloths, long enough to scale down the building. When the clock struck two, Darius made his way down from his room. The darkness of night gave him cover from the guards and the common people. He snuck out the manor and over the wall that separated their property from the city. He crept through the streets, laying low in alleys and the shadows of the night. He finally came across a large sewer hole. This lead outside the city through the waste tunnels, unwatched by the guards. Darius moved the large lead lid, just enough for him to squeeze through.

He fell a short distance till he landed in the moving waste. The smell was horrible, beyond comprehension, but his desire to see the ziggurat for himself was stronger. He waded through the filth and waste for some time before he arrived at the end. But a problem occurred: a massive grate was sealed at the end of the sewer, with holes only large enough for the effluence to move through. He feared that his journey had come to an end, for the grate was bolted in shut, making it impossible to move by mortal hands. But yet, he did not give up hope. In a fit of determination and frustration, he grabbed two of the steel rods in front of him and tried to pull them apart. At first there was little movement, but after a second time he was able to bend them enough to slide through, surprised at this last minute strength. He jumped off the exposed pipe and landed in a murky lake of waste and filth. Still determined, he pushed his way forward, finally moving into cleaner waters.

It was the darkest part of the night before the city escaped his view. He was alone now in the wilderness, with nothing but himself and a sea of endless terrain. If one man would be in his position, they would be hopelessly lost, but Darius somehow knew the way. He trudged through grass and brush, shoving away thorny plants and climbing over rocks. Nothing could stop him from his desire to reach the ziggurat, like it was calling to him, to his destiny. It was hours before he saw the ziggurat in the distance, just a small peak on the horizon. Darius thought that he would be able to reach it by mid day if he kept going. But before he even lifted his foot, a heavy thick breath ran down his back. He could hear the snorting of a creature of mammoth proportions behind him, causing a sense of dread to overcome him. Darius once again let his curiosity get the better of him and slowly turned around. There right behind him was a large reptilian monster, glaring down at him like he was a treat. It hissed at him, slowly circling him as if it was preparing for a strike. Darius knew that he was doomed if he made a move… a wrong move. He looked at the massive creature, staring at its yellow eyes, and glared back at it with unnatural intimidation.

It was an eat or be eaten situation. Without thought, Darius lunged at the massive reptile. His action caught the creature off guard and it stepped back a few spaces. Darius punched the creature in the throat, causing it to fall to the earth, gasping for air. But that was not enough to stop the scaly juggernaught. The reptile lunged at him, pinning him down with its claws. It tried to bite off Darius’s face, but he fought back by kicking it in the throat. The more he fought back, the more frantic the reptile’s attacks became. Finally, with his last burst of energy and will, he shoved the massive creature off of him and curb stomped its throat. His leg sunk into the creature’s throat, gushing out blood and vomit. The thing whipped around in pain, slowly bleeding to death. It roared and screamed until it was no more. Darius pulled his foot out and as a testament of this victory, ripped out the largest tooth of the creature, holding it like a dagger. He continued to head to the forgotten temple, ignoring the massive amounts of blood on his leg from the fight.

The morning dawn broke through, letting the sun shine dimly across the landscape. It gave enough light over the horizon to illuminate the ziggurat, the place that Darius tried to reach for so long. He stood at the base of the monument, staring at the top. He began his ascent, climbing over each rocky step without a break. The stairs soon become incredibly steep, forcing him to use his hands to hold on. It seemed like an eternity before he reached the top, whipping the sweat from his forehead. He surveyed the top of the structure, surprised on how large it was. The top was big enough to easily hold his manor, with extra room left over. As he walked towards the center, Darius noticed marks and indents on the surface. He dropped to his knees to get a better look. From what he could tell is these were foundations for a building that was there long ago. He continued to analyze the top and realized something horrible: This was the spot that his dream occurred. He looked at the ruined columns and saw that this was the hall his dream began in, and the large foundation at the end was the royal chamber!

He walked towards the center of the remains of the royal court, moving slowly in fear. As soon as Darius reached the middle, a sense of unholy fatigue over came him and he fell on the floor. He woke up again and he was in the court room. But this time there were no prices, dancers and royalty. This time there was a man in armor standing before the king and queen. The room looked spectacular and modest, just like the beginning of his last dream. He saw the man in armor talk to the king and queen about something important, something about of military matters. The king was hesitant about a decision that the man offered, but in the end he agreed to the terms. The man in armor walked out of the chambers, grinning suspiciously. Darius followed the man to the outside of the palace, but stopped when he reached the top of the stairs. He looked out in awe to see that the surrounding land was a large marvelous white city, gleaming with gold and glory. The man in armor too stopped at where Darius was, but turned to another man, a younger one, and began conversation.

The two talked about luring the king in a political trap, stating that the king gave the man in armor all of the military power of the kingdom. The younger man was concerned for this decision, but he was assured that this was for the good. Darius ran back into the palace, trying to warn the king about this, but realized that he had no power in these dreams. Another flash and he was back in the court, this time watching the man in armor bringing in beautiful women and gold to the king. The man in armor talked about the various treasures they got in their conquests and these were the best of the best for the king. Darius guessed that this was the cause of the hedonism in his prior dreams. Another flash and he saw the deterioration of the room again from before. The naked slaves and the self pleasures, but this time the man in armor was talking to the deranged king and queen. He talked about that everything was going fine and that he needed not to worry.

Another flash, but this time he was outside of the palace again. He heard the man in armor talk about the house arrest of the royal family and the sexual drug intake they were forced to have. He continued that with the framed corruption of the royal family, he would take the title of king, being supported by the people and military. A final flash and Darius saw the royal court again in its worse state like the last vision. This time the man in armor told him that the king was not needed anymore, lying that the people have declared him useless. The man in armor ordered the guards to kill everyone in the room. All of the sick and twisted people were put to death by the sword in the most merciless way. Before anything else continued, Darius woke up from the vision. He stood up and looked at the long shadows that the column casted in the morning sun, sighing in relief that it was all a dream. When he thought he was at peace, that insane voice of hell spoke again, sending nerves of fear down his spine:

“But his general was strong…”

Darius screamed in pain when he heard that voice. It rang in his ears like a thousand screams going off at the same time next to him. He fell to his knees in pain, clenching his hair hoping that it would take his mind away from the torture. But the pain of slowly pulling his hair was not enough to take him mind away. It felt like every time the voice spoke, it would cut his brain. But as usual, the pain slowly faded away. After he recovered, his curiosity concerning the ziggurat was over. His father was right; this place was a mad, insane, cursed hell spot that needed to be forgotten. He slowly descended the stairs, weary of this long journey. Once he made it onto solid ground, the unknown subliminal taint of the ziggurat slowly dissipated from him, giving back his energy that he lost on the top. Darius trekked back to Valencia, slowly dragging himself across the sea of grass. Miraculously, he stumbled upon the road that they drove on for the hunting trip. This relief and sense of direction invigorated him to keep moving.

Hours later, Darius could see Valencia, hiding behind the waves of heat from the high noon sun. He did not know what to say to his father or mother about this, but as of right now, he did not care. In the distance though, he could see an army cameo green square, kicking up dust as it headed towards him. He threw his arms up in the air and waved to catch the attention of the driver.

Discussion starter · #7 · (Edited)
Darius watched in joy as the jeep in the distance rattled closer. He could finally see the figures driving the car waving back at him, understanding his gestures. The car pulled to the side of the road, kicking up dust as the massive jeep halted. The two men looked at Darius with suspicion, guessing that he was just a hitch hiker trying to take advantage of them. But when they saw a good look at him, they gasped in surprised.

“Are you… Darius?!” The driver said, dropping his jaw to the lowest level of surprise.

“Why yes I am.” Darius laughed.

“May I be so curious to ask… What the hell happened to you?” The man in the passenger seat asked.

“Well… I wanted to have a little adventure, so I crept out the window, escaped through the sewers and marched through the brush to a little spot I wanted to get a better look at.” Darius smiled.

“But what is with the blood all over your leg and arms?! Are you wounded my lord?! We do have medical supplies in the back if you need it!” The driver said, concerned for his life.

“Oh, the blood? Let’s say I ran into a kalaptas and showed him who’s boss.” Darius laughed as he pulled out the large tooth to show proof. “Now then, could you be so kind and give me a lift back to the palace? I believe that some people miss me.”

The man in the passenger seat jumped out and offered him is spot. Darius walked over, whistling to himself like nothing bad has happened, finding their astonishment to be amusing. They turned around and drove back to Valencia, driving carefully to make sure Darius had a comfortable ride. It was an hour later that they arrived at the gates. They drove him after words up to the small gates of the governor’s palace, dropping him off at the front. He got out of the car and thanked the drivers for the ride. He walked over to the intercom on that was on the left post and pressed the call button, waiting for the other end to pick up.

“Please state your name and business.” The woman said on the other end.

“Yes… I am Darius and my business is to come home.”

“Oh my goodness! Yes, come in! Come in!” The woman said surprised.

Darius mosied on in to the court yard, walking by the flowers and fountains as if he had all of the time in the world. The two main doors of the manor swung open. Darius watched Hector and Isabel running towards him followed by some guards. Isabel rushed upon him, embracing him like a worried mother. His father, however, didn’t show any sign of sympathy.

“Oh we were so worried! We thought that some criminal came and stole you away from us! We spent the last day and a half searching for you across town! Please don’t do something like this ever again! I almost died of a broken heart because of you!” Isabel wept.

“What you did was not stupid, but completely insane! This city was on full alert after you left, searching for you in every corner and shadow! You complete fool! If you ever do this again, I swear your punishment will almost be on par with a criminal sentance! And look at you! You smell like shit and look like hell! What did you do!” Hector roared.

Darius, now for the first time intimidated by his father answered quietly “I went to that building.”

Hector sighed. “I shouldn’t have told you about that place… Well, I can’t be angry at you forever for your young stupidity. Just go get yourself cleaned up and get into something nice. We’re having ambassadors from other city states coming over to fix certain trading problems here. Jeez… for such a proper young man you should of learned by now not to be so stupid. Now get on!”

Darius walked back into the manor and headed straight to his room, getting himself cleaned up and ready for company. It was about sun set when the men arrived with their guards. In their hands were papers and documents of various types, Darius guessing that they were of economic and trading policies. He listened carefully to their conversations and arguments about certain current events, such as the unstable trading rights with another city state.

“Hector, I highly suggest that you should put a heavy tax on steel exports to Lombard. I fear that all of this metal has given them an opportunity to mass produce artillery and tanks. As we all remember, Lombard is a very aggressive and powerful city state,” pointed out one ambassador.

“I understand what you are getting at, but I’ve yet to see any signs of military mobilization. And for them to build massive quantities of tanks and artillery requires factories and foundries, something that they lack!”

“Even with the lack of production, I still say that we should keep an eye out. We may not be the best of allies, but I assure you that we shall keep you informed of their activity.” Said another ambassador.

“Remember the Punic Wars thrity years ago, when you were like Darius, a young man?” Reminded another ambassador.

“Yes, I do remember that. What does this have to do with Lombard?”

“It was Lombard that started the war and crippled everyone’s economy for ten years after. Why? Because we didn’t keep track of their steel and metal imports! Again, why does this contribute to this example? Because that was enough for them to build weapons that out stripped ours! We were lucky that we won!”

“You do have a point…” Hector admitted.

“That is why we should keep an eye out and that’s why you should place a heavy tax. You control most of the steel foundries and mines, so we are counting on you to do so.” Concluded another ambassador.

“I see... Well then, for starters this is what we currently know of their land and territory. They have expanded all the way to the Agmar sea, but still they are retained behind the Ephrius river and Tigerous river.” Hector said, showing them a digital map of the land.

The ambassadors talked and conversed about the slight expansion of the Lombard territory. They began to form a plan in case Lombard tried to pull off any form on invasion. This hidden alliance will help them prosper and retain balance in the land they predicted. After some arguing and debating, they came up with a treaty for all of them to sign. Hector was the first to put his name under the approval of governors, while the ambassadors signed another column. Darius watched them escorted out with their guards back to their private shuttle, taking off out of the city walls.

Hector walked up behind Darius, putting his arm on his shoulder.

“What was all of that?” Darius asked.

“Politics is a very odd subject and phenomenon… but a necessary one. Don’t worry; you won’t have to deal with any of this until you’re older.” Hector joked.

Darius had a long week without any sleep and his bed was a warm welcome. For some stranger reason he felt that his body did not require much sleep unlike the others, but, never the less, he did enjoy a good night’s sleep. He crawled under the covers, ready to enjoy a long night of sleep and rest. But something wasn’t right; he woke up and found himself on the hard cold stone floor of the palace once more. It was another dream, another horrible dream. He looked around the royal chambers, and saw that the place was completely empty. No dancers, no princes, no nobility and no king and queen; just empty. The throne at the end was now one piece, capable of seating one man only. The frescos on the walls were not of celebration and royalty, but of war and conquest, with scenes depicting bloodshed and annihilation. All of the metal work around the room was replaced with skulls and weapons, obvious signs of a tyrant. Darius knew that something radically changed. He walked out of the chamber and moved down the hall, to see that this too, was not what it was before. All of the pillars had swords and axes hanging down, with skulls and spoils of war around the base of each of the columns. The light, instead of burning with a welcoming warmth, glowed with a fervor of hate and dominance. Darius continued down the hall, heading outside the doors at the end to the top of the stairs.

He stepped outside and witnessed a horrible sight. The man in armor was looking down at the city, laughing as he watched his soldiers slaughter and kill their own people. They burned down everything and leveled homes, heedless of the structure of the city. The troops attacked with a bloodlust beyond human understanding; they slaughtered men, disemboweled women, and burned children. Darius pleaded for the man in armor to stop this, but he remembered that he could not do a thing in these visions, only watch in horror. A flash again, and this time he watched the man in armor and his army attack a army of green skinned ogres. They slaughtered and crushed their green foe with an unnatural ferocity, burning their remains as they went. Another flash and he watched them besiege cities, leaving no man, animal, and building standing, wiping them off from the face of the earth. Another flash and he watched the army again attack another strange and odd race. A race of people who were slender and tall, with armor and weapons not of this world. The race seemed to hold back the army, displaying weapons of vast superiority, but with a counter attack and fanaticism, the army over ran them and killed every single one of the elf-like people. Darius realized that his father’s description of this ancient civilization was nothing more than a sugar coated lie. This man was no ordinary man, but a living incarnation of everything that sanity stand against.

Another flash showed the man in armor, standing above a mountain of the dead elf like people, laughing at their attempt to stop him. He had one foot on top of a giant stone head, which adorned a face of war and power. He talked about how he had killed their god in combat and how his army shall burn existence to make way for a new age of peace. The men raised their weapons in support of their leader, shouting insane war cries and battle chants. The final flash, Darius saw the army faced with a final resistance, making up with soldiers and peasants. The two engaged in combat, clashing with ferocity and hate. The final resistance at first looked like they were finished, fighting in vain against their unstoppable foe. But something was different. The man in armor engaged in combat with their leader, a man wearing chain mail and wielding a short sword. The two fought fanatically, both of them desperate to win. Finally, destiny made its decision. The man of the resistance threw a knife at the man in armor, forcing him to pay attention to the projectile. The man in armor dodged it with ease, but was unaware how close the other man was to him. In a split second, the man of the resistance plunged his blade into the heart of the man in armor. He fell down, screaming in pain at his defeat. The death of the evil warlord caused panic and chaos among the ranks of the army, as they dissolved and were finally defeated by the resistance. As the nightmare closed, Darius woke up, glad that the dream passed, sighing relief as he thought the story ended. But again, the voice of a million deaths spoke to him, this time softer and more charismatic.

“Follow me, and I shall grant you power… Disobey me, and I shall destroy you… Just like I did to him…”

It would be years before that unnatural voice was heard again…

Discussion starter · #13 ·
This is a update post, but part two wont be done for a while. I got alot of school work and other things in my way. But the good news is that ITS HUGE. Covers alot of story, so rather than small dabbles like most people do, here is one huge dump. Please be patient.

Discussion starter · #17 · (Edited)
Part Two​

It had been twelve years since Darius had his experiences with the unnatural that the forgotten temple created, but since then, those dreams and memories about it were nothing more than a blur, fading into forgotten history. But those twelve years passed were not uneventful. He had grown up to be a unique man; in the eyes of any person he showed the looks of Apollo* and the intelligence of a genius, surpassing the minds of prior history. Such looks and intellect have attracted the populist’s attention, rumoring that he was a divine being, a blessing to them all. But more importantly, the people loved him, as he loved them. He showed them love and attention that no ordinary man could give. Time and time again he had put aside his own interests and plans to insure that the people we safe, healthy and happy without being a tyrant.

He has been more active in the government, for as with time his father began to show signs of age and stress, finding it harder every day to help the city. Still, even with his slowly deteriorating state, Hector would still put all of his effort to keep the people safe. But all was not well in Valencia. Since the invasion of Lombard on the city state of Milan, the people, especially the younger generation, have been growing skeptical about the government, questioning their ability to protect them against such an enemy if they attacked the city. But still Hector told the people over and over again that they are doing everything they could to insure the safety for the people and their freedom. But even with those soothing words, some were still dubious.

“Darius you need to invest more time in the military and the defense departments here. I understand that you care for the people of Valencia with the deepest love, but our simple walls and bastions won’t keep out the armies of Lombard. You need get yourself involved with the military and less with the economy. Our shanty troops and rag-tag army cannot stand a moment against the forces of Lombard. They have already taken down Milan and we are next!”

“The military is the least of my problems, for that is in the hands of Gustavus Adolphus and Hector. My job is helping the people…”

“If we don’t have a sufficient force to protect the people, then you won’t have a people to take care of! I urge you not as a counselor, but as a friend to take arms in the chain of command and lead the troops! I will be responsible of the health and well being of the people while you defend them in your absence. Please Darius, this is important! Gustavus Adolphus is old and is losing his capability to hear and see and there is no one of worth to take his place! You are the only one that can lead.” Virgil interrupted, raising his voice to emphasize his point.

“I will admit that Gustavus Adolphus is almost incapable of leading, but why me? I am no man of war, but a man of peace and love to the people! I have no experience in the act of shedding blood and conquest. Why me?” Darius asked.

“Why you? Because you can lead and inspire men! These troops are inexperienced and scared! Unlike Gustavus Adolphus, who can only tell where to move, you can turn these young men into solders that can shake the foundations of the heavens!” Virgil explained.

“Yet again, I have no experience of chain of command and the ways of war. And…”

“And you will learn them then! Darius, you are capable of things beyond the imaginations of men, and from what I have seen you do, learning the art of war should be nothing more than taking a nap!” Virgil smiled.

Darius stood there and pondered for a moment. “You have never lead me astray, and if this is the only way I can save our people… through the act of hate and bloodshed… then I shall do it. I will leave to the academy tomorrow and begin leading. Contact Gustavus Adolphus and tell him that I will be leading and that he is set for an honorable discharge.”

“I will inform him then” Virgil smiled, watching Darius walk off to his quarters.

Virgil has worked with Darius for over the past ten years, helping him make decisions on complicated matters. This was just another decision that Darius needed some direction on. Virgil walked into the council chambers to find that the entire place in complete discord.

“Lord Hector, I suggest that we draft more men into the army! Lombard has already ransacked Milan and burned it to the ground and we are next! We need more troops to protect this city if we want to survive!” Cried one of the councilmen.

The room was a cacophony of arguing and panic. For once in Hector’s life, he was truly afraid.

“Settle down men, settle down!” Said Hector, slamming his fist on the table to get their attention. “I understand the state of what’s going on, but we do not have the numbers to even stand a chance! But I am willing to do everything that I can to protect the people!”

“So are you saying that we should give up!?” Yelled another councilman.

“I am not saying that we should give up! I am-“

“We are outnumbered, out armed, and we have no basic defensive structures what so ever, and yet this is the best we can do according to you? This is madness Hector!” Roared another man.

The room erupted in argument and frustration. Hector slumped back into his chair, his hand covering his face out of disappointment of the council. But when all was about lost, Virgil proposed an Idea.

“My fellow countrymen. Forgive me for interrupting your useless arguing, but I believe that I have a solution. I have sent Darius, our brightest mind in the country, to take over the military and reorganize it. He has more military experience than any of us and I do have faith in him to protect this city!”

“Okay, so by the time Lombard’s army arrives at our doorstep, we would have some troops for them to play with. How is that going to stop them?!” Criticize another man.

“Lombard has numbers. We have quality. And as time has proven itself, quality is better than quantity.” Virgil answered.

“Phhbbttt! Our troops are quality?! There nothing more than volunteers and a few professional soldiers! And Lombard’s? They are all veterans! What is ours that is quality?”

Virgil smiled “Darius. Darius is more than a match for Lombard’s leaders. As any man with a hint of history would know is that an excellent leader is better than an excellent army. Lombard’s generals and chain of command is decent, but Darius is perfect. Once again, have faith in a man who has not failed us.”

The council muttered, agreeing that Virgil had a valid point. However, some of them were still not satisfied by this last minute plan.

“We have two days before they arrive at the gates. That is not enough time to train anyone of them except to retreating!”

“Since I have taken a position in this council have I ever lead you astray with my plans and advice?” Virgil said with a smile of assurance.

Again the council muttered and agreed with Virgil.

“In the mean time gentlemen, we should prepare the populace to stay calm and prepare for the coming storm… I promise that we will come out of this maelstrom alive and well. It just requires… faith and trust.”

“Look at them! This is nothing more than a rabble Darius! In all of my years of leading and training men, this is by far the worse group of sorry soldiers that I have ever seen!” Gustavus Adolphus grumbled, peering out the window to look at the waiting trainees.

“Gustavus, we are in a dire situation. If this is the best that Valencia can do with supplying troops, then we will have to make the best of it. I promise you that all of these men will be able to stand up to our foe without flinching. I promise that they will spit in their face and then shame them with their defeat. I shall promise you that.” Darius promised.

“If you defeat Lombard with this rag tag army, pigs will fly and I will shit butterflies.” Gustavus laughed.

Darius walked out of the academy, standing in front of the columns of volunteers and soldiers. He could sense their devotion and loyalty, but also can sense fear and panic. Some of the more experienced men had looks of defeat and hopelessness while the younger were scared. That did not matter to him, for at the end of the four days they had to train, these men will walk out as professionals and will be as brave as the lions that roam the plains. He walked out and stood in front of all of them glaring at them.

“I see the weary, beaten and broken standing before me, waiting for a miracle to happen. This miracle will not be some divine intervention or miraculous discovery, but will be that of determination and devotion! If you will follow me, I shall lead you to glory and victory. If you turn your hearts away, you shall fail and be disgraced. But if you follow, I shall promise that the enemy will be delivered into our hands and will be at our mercy!

Darius watched as hope and inspiration fill the eyes of the men. He could see the fires of passion rekindle in their hearts as they heard his words of promise. He could even see some tear up from the words of comfort that he has promised.

“However, this is no easy task. For the next few days, you will be driven to new extremes, extremes that your body has never felt before. Your body will want to give up, will want to surrender and will want to die! But you will tell it no! You will walk in hell and not walk out as lost souls, but as purifying angles that will deliver Valencia! You will turn yourselves from mortals into legends if you follow me! Follow me, and we will be victorious!” Darius said, inspiring the men to unthinkable levels.

“FOR VALENCIA!” Roared the army with insane enthusiasm. Such vigor made Darius smile.

“We do not fight for ourselves, but for our kin and our children! We fight for the day that our city can rest at ease! We fight for the day that we can be outside of the city without fear! We fight for the day that we can call the other city states our brothers and sisters! We fight for the day where we can all say ‘I am at rest and so is the world’! We fight for the day where the blue skies of peace fly over us every day! We fight for the day where we can finally say ‘life is good’!” Darius inspired.

The troops again whipped themselves into an insane state of nationalism, crying out their unwavering loyalty to Darius. Gustavus Adolphus walked outside, astonished by the rally of the men. He stepped to side of Darius, his jaw dropped at the willingness for the men to die for Valencia.

“In all of my years of training and leading men, I have never seen such willingness to fight for our city…” Gustavus Adolphus said, impressed beyond words.

“Sometimes is not about who’s boss, but about what we fight for. Lombard may be large, but after these few hard days… we will be better than them.” Darius smiled.

The next few days did live up to Darius’s speech. The troops were trained in the most brutal way. Sleep deprivation, extreme teamwork, constant target practice and endless moving made the men hard and weary. While some of them almost broke down and cried to give up, they were always pulled back into the fray, continuously told that if they desert, they will forever be shamed. But during these harsh days, Virgil conducted his plan to slow down Lombard’s advance towards Valencia. He ordered engineers and miners to carve trenches in the landscape and dig pitfalls. These terrain difficulties were something that no army could avoid. He ordered the factories to produce artillery and tank traps to make traversing with vehicles to be a tedious and difficult task. But even with all of these traps and decoys, Lombard would eventually arrive, ready to crush them to oblivion. But Virgil had another plan… a plan that no one knew about.

“Virgil, the ambassador of Genoa has agreed to meet you tonight. He says that we should meet up outside of Genoa at the Genoa cemetery at 2:30 am. He is very eager to meet you and discuss these matters.”

“Thank you Cornelius… I am too eager to meet this ambassador.” Virgil said, clothing himself with a heavy black cloak.

“I say my lord, aren’t you suspicious about this meeting? I mean, it could be a trap set up by Lombard or…”

“Cornelius, I know when it’s a trap and when it is not. The tone of the man was too constrained for any form of lying. Besides, I promise that no one will touch you while we are there.”

Virgil and his servant Cornelius walked quickly out to the truck waiting for them, moving silently through the darkness of the night. Virgil ordered them to take the back streets, less they be seen by Darius or anyone else of the court, for this meeting must be kept a secret. As they almost made the clear, the guards at the main gate stopped them, pulling out their flash lights and guns to check to see who was going out. They peered through the windows and decided that Virgil and Cornelius were too suspicious to be let out. They ordered them out of the car, demanding for their IDs and other various bits of info. Even with all of the proper information and credentials, the guards were still unsatisfied with their proof. Just as one of them was to talk call security to arrest Virgil and Cornelius, Virgil held his right hand up high and snapped his fingers. Instantly the two guards fell down unconscious, landing silently on the pavement. Virgil ordered Cornelius to drag the guards back into their booth, propping them up like they fell asleep on the job. With a flick of his wrist and the gates opened enough to let them through, creating noise that only a god could hear. Cornelius and Virgil got back into the truck and drove off into the wilderness.

“What was that!?” Cornelius asked, shocked and astonished by Virgil’s display of power.

“What was what?” Virgil grinned.

“You know what I’m talking about! That, that, that thing back there with the guards!” Cornelius spat out of his mouth in awe.

“Oh that… that’s just a little trick.”

“A TRICK!? That was not a trick! If it is, then that’s one hell of a trick!”

“It’s an easy trick… But you have to have a very developed and gifted mind… Something that you do not have I am sorry to say.” Virgil continued to grin.

Cornelius shook his head in disbelief and continued driving to Genoa, muttering at the insanity of Virgil’s supposed gift. They rolled through the hills, taking back routes and paths to avoid any major attention as they made their way. Finally, they could see Genoa and the Cemetery. Cornelius slowly put on the breaks and killed the lights.

“I’m going to say this one more time, I think we should turn back… This is incredibly suspicious place for a last minute meeting Virgil, especially with an official from a city that we are still… still not on good terms with.” Cornelius said suspiciously.

“And I’m going to say this one more time too. Do not fear, I promise that if any trouble arises, I will not allow anyone to lay a finger on you. This meeting is important.”

Cornelius stopped and turned again to ask one more question

“You never told me what this meeting was about?”

“To tell you the truth, I’m just trying to see if I can get some last minute allies on our side…” Virgil muttered.

The both of them stepped outside of the truck and slowly walked into the cemetery, heading over to the given description of where to meet. The ambassador said to meet at the royal mausoleum, but yet, there wasn’t a mausoleum. Cornelius, still suspicious about this meeting, kept an eye out, switching back and forth in directions to see anyone coming. No one came. Just when they thought that the ambassador had bailed out of this meeting due to complications or treachery, Virgil saw some figures in the distance. They looked human, but they weren't.

“Cornelius, you know that trick I did to the guards?” Virgil said, pulling Cornelius behind him.

“Yeah?” He replied, scared that something is going wrong.

“Well… I promise that it won’t hurt.”

Virgil looked at Cornelius in the eyes and with a wave of his wrist, Cornelius fell to the ground, passed out in a deep sleep. Virgil continued to watch the figures in the distance coming closer. He could start to make out the outline of the characters, seeing that they had very alien armor and style. It wasn’t long before they were not more than twenty feet away. He knew who they were: they were the Eldar. He could see that it was a figure of importance accompanied by two guards. But this made no sense to him; why would the eldar want to interrupt this political meeting that has no importance to them? It wasn’t long before they stood in front of him, the guards raising their arms at him. The central figure was that of a very familiar status. It was a farseer, and she looked at him sternly.

“So this is the wise man they call Virgil?” She said unimpressed.

“And this must be the person who called me here through lies, am I not mistaken?” Virgil said with a smile.

“You’re good. I usually find talking to humans as a disgusting and rather pathetic thing to do, but this is very important.” She said sternly.

“If it is of that great importance to you, maybe this conversation should be private?”

Virgil raised his hands and with the flick of his fingers, sent the two guards reeling into the back of two tombstones, knocking them unconscious. The farseer returned fire, but unknown to her, Virgil expected this. With the same motion he knocked her onto the ground, throwing aside her spear and pistol at the same time. She raced to get up, furious at this humiliation. Before she could speak another word, Virgil stepped forward and looked down at her.
“It quiet ironic on how the superior race is being looked down by the inferior. Tell me Adrial, why do you must lie to me when it would be easier to tell the truth?” Virgil asked, this time not sporting any emotion kindness.

“Stupid human!... How… how did you know my name?!” She said, racing to get back up.

“That is not of any importance. Tell me, what news or warning do you bring to me? Is it that of glory? Of danger? Of pain? Or of destruction?” Virgil interrogated.

“It is that of betrayal! You closest friend shall betray you and mankind! You must kill him!” She spat out.

“So… you come down here and expect me to kill my closest friend so that you can save your craft world? Expect me to kill arguably the greatest man who has ever graced this planet, just to save your… silly race? I think not.” Virgil said, unfolding her intentions right in front of her.

The farseer bit her lip in anger about this back talk and humiliation.

“You stupid human! I am warning you about Darius’s future treachery! If he lives then not only my race will burn, but yours as well! But your pathetic ignorance that you easily show will be the downfall of everything!” She spat out again in rage.

“And you deluded eldar once again weave the lies of discord just to save your own hides. Tell me, were your people like this during the War in Heaven? To be honest here I highly doubt it. If they could see you today, they would spit on you in shame! You are making the same mistakes that lead to your fall farseer… Lies and selfish interests.”

The farseer’s jaw dropped in awe. How did a human know so much knowledge about her people, her race, her history? Before she could even respond, Virgil continued.

“I can see from your facial expressions that you are quite impressed by my knowledge of your kindred… But to put in the simplest terms for you, let’s say that I am more bound to your people then you are…” Virgil said, changing his face from anger to a suspicious grin.

“How… how… how” She stuttered.

“I am sorry to say farseer, but for the first time in your life, you have wasted someone’s else’s time. You better get moving… For I sense that one of your kindred is going to make a small mistake.”

“What do you mean by that?...” She said quietly in fear.

About a second later, Virgil made a last minute move, stepping towards the side. In a blink of an eye, the farseer’s head was gone, exploded by the impact of a silent projectile. Virgil ignored her death and walked over to the unconscious Cornelius, waking him up from his forced slumber. He walked him back to the truck and ordered him to move out back to Valencia. Cornelius asked about the conversation, but Virgil admitted that it was fruitless ordeal. Virgil peered out the window to see the eldar, now just silhouettes in the dark, panicking about the Ranger’s friendly fire and their dead seer.

“Ah yes… And they race towards the dead, cursing to their gods about their mistakes and like children… blame everyone else for their problems…” Virgil silently told himself.

He paced back and forth in his quarters, thinking and muttering to himself about the coming of Lombard’s army. With two days left, he pounded his men harder and harder in training, but even then he thought that this would not be enough to save them. Darius walked towards the open window, staring at the stars and blissful moon. He knew that this last stand would take a toll on everyone, but he was willing to sacrifice everything to help save his people. He needed a nap, his mind tired and weary of so much stress and thinking. Darius laid down on his bed, closing his eyes for a early night sleep.

I have a gift for you Darius…

He jumped out of bed. The voice, that horrible nightmarish voice of a million deaths came back. Darius fell to his knees, biting down on his lip to distract the pain that the voice always bring. Why does it only come to him, why? Though he hasn’t heard it in twelve years, yet it felt like that it had spoken to him yesterday. When Darius opened his eyes, he saw the ziggurat again, that horrible ancient structure. There on the ruined top was a square opening that lead deep into the ziggurat. It was calling to him. That structure was calling him back! Darius thrashed around on the floor, hoping that it will shake this horrible vision away. He opened his eyes again and he was back in his room, sweating profusely. He hated that building… But yet… yet he needed to go back. He asked himself why, but while his mind was debating this problem, his body was already in work. Darius slipped out and grabbed hold of one of the military motorcycles. He quietly made his way out, finding the city doors already a jarred. He hit the gas and blazed off to the ziggurat, remembering where it was by instinct. It was midnight that he arrived, and without thought he threw aside the motorcycle and sprinted up the stairs with unnatural haste. He reached the top, and there it was… the opening, just like the vision showed. He raced over to it and saw that it was a stair case that lead deep into the ancient structure. Ignoring the darkness, Darius sprinted down the stairs, descending deeper and deeper into the pyramid. The blackness was unreal, but he cared not, whatever was down there… was calling to him.

To Darius’s surprise, he saw a glowing light at the end, and eerie and disturbing light. His mind wanted to escape and head back, but his body was not of his control anymore. At the end, he found that the light came from a chamber, a forgotten and dusty chamber that laid untouched for thousands of years. In the middle of the room was a bloody alter, sitting there like a spike through someone’s head. There sat on top was a sword, a beautiful perfect sword. Darius wanted to scream and run away, but his hand reached forward and grabbed the blade. It felt natural in his hand, like it was designed for him. The beautiful workings on the handle and the perfection of the blade were more than a master’s work; this blade was divine. But the sane part of his mind wanted to throw the blade away and forget about this place, wanted to leave and never return. But as the blade sat longer in his hand, he felt that he was control again of his body, the demonic like possession that drove him here gone. He was at rest to know that he was free, but the voice spoke again, this time surprising painless.

I forged this blade for my few champions… And you are worthy to be my champion… Listen to me, and I shall lead you to eternal glory and power. Listen to me, and I shall save your people…

While he felt that the voice led him to nothing but misery, this time… this time he felt that it was helping him. He looked at the blade longer and saw that the work welcomed him, passively singing that they were meant to be together. The blade reminded of himself, reminded him of his… Superiority. Though as soon as that thought crossed him mind, he shook himself in shame to think of such pride and arrogance, something that he hated. He cursed himself and slowly made his way up the stairs, heading back home before the dawn.

*That was just for description

Discussion starter · #22 ·

Part Three​

Darius slowly pulled the motorcycle back into the academy’s garage, placing it back perfectly like as if he never left. He walked out with the sword hidden under his cloak, hiding his precious ‘gift’. He walked silently through the main doors of the academy, shutting them quietly to hide his entrance. But before he could reach the hall that lead to his office, one of the guards caught him.

“My lord, are you alright?” He asked.

“I’m fine! What are you talking about?” Darius lied, acting like nothing happened.

“You coat… Why is it covered in dust?”

“Oh! Oh, that dust? Yes I just went out for a late night drink and the roads must have been dirty on the way to and back. Now excuse me, I have some work to do before the dawn breaks.”

The guard turned back and walked to his post, moving along like nothing happened. Darius returned to his quarters and immediately closed the blinds and dimmed the lights. He sat on his desk quietly, trying to hear if anyone was near his room. When he decided that he was truly alone, he pulled out the ornate blade and laid it on the desk. He stared at the work of the sword, mesmerized by the design and symbols that it bore on its hilt. The blade was so beautiful, more astounding than he remembered in the dark room of the ziggurat. The handle was a soft leather while the pummel and guard were made out of a white metal, decorated by golden symbols and pictures. Darius rested the blade on his pointer finger to test its balance. It was perfect. The weight of the blade was incredibly light as well, an odd thing for a sword of this size. He sat up and walked into the middle of the room and swung the sword around, testing its balances and fit. Darius felt the blade cut through the air, delighted by the flow and elegance as it moved. He decided to test its strength, sticking the tip of the sword into the floor, bending it to the side. While he boasted strength that was unparallel to the people of Valencia, he could barely bend it a single degree. This sword was truly something.

His clock buzzed on his desk, presenting the time of four o’clock in the morning. Darius hid his blade in the closet behind all of the other stuff and left his office. In one hour, the last day of training would begin before the armies of Lombard were at Valencia’s doorstep.

Darius stood in front of the columns of soldiers, looking down the rows of men waiting for orders. Unlike the previous assembly, the men did not show signs of fear or hesitation, but signs of austere bravery, the willingness of giving up everything to save their city. The days of wear and tear at the minds and bodies of the men paid off as Darius promised. They were all prepared for war.

“My fellow brothers in arms, today is the day where not only we can prove ourselves out on the battle field, but prove to the world of our superiority! Lombard is at our doorstep, eagerly waiting to take away our freedoms and rights! But they have one problem… and that is us! Unlike everyone else, we have the strength and courage to say no to their greedy ambitions! The strength and courage to hold them back! And the strength and courage to defeat them! I have seen you before, poor men who had desire to fight, but could not even bring the strength to stand on the battle field. But after three days of pure hell, you did not walk out like the dead, but risen out like purifying angels! Angels that shall purify the evil scum that Lombard is! Will you stand by me on this fateful day?!” Darius said, rallying the spirit of nationalism.

The men responded with cries of war, loyalty and determination. They all spoke the words: We shall rise and smite those who taint this land.

Darius smiled with such enthusiasm and devotion that the men delivered. Darius cleared his throat again and continued.

“They shall fall before our guns, swords, artillery and our will! They will in the end, be on their knees, begging for our forgiveness, begging to have their lives spared, and beg for repentance! And we shall show them forgiveness and repentance… through death! I promise that we shall leave this war with not some casualties, but with no casualties! This day we will leave victorious!” Darius cried.

Again the men displayed inspiration and willingness at unnatural levels. Darius excused himself, and headed back into the academy, preparing for a day of war.

Screams and cries echoed throughout the streets as civilians scrambled for cover from the coming storm. The Law Enforcement tried to move the population into the safe zones of the city in an orderly fashion, but the panic and chaos of the crowds were too much for them to handle. Darius watched the public dash into the bunkers and safe houses, pushing and shoving to see if they could get in. Darius grieved over this chaos. He grieved that he for the first time in ages, his people were in danger. This panic and sorrow however, was not to last. Darius pulled his head up high and marched to the gates, his left hand on the palm of his gifted sword. But as he made his way to the streets, something felt different. It felt like time slowed down as he walked through the panic and chaos. He watched every face that he passed by, showing the disturbing emotions of fear and sorrow. He could see the tears in mothers as they sprinted to safety with their babes. He could see the terror in the eyes of the children, crying to their parents for comfort. He could see the elderly staring up into the sky, cursing the enemy that was at their doorstep. It was hell Darius thought, pure hell. But he then realized that the only way to see them smile again was to kill what threatens them: Lombard. He made his way to the top of the main gates, looking over the endless fields of grass and brush outside the city. He looked at the land and sighed, seeing that its former beauty has turned into a war zone. He could see in the distance the massive armor columns and cohorts of Lombard, ready to pound the city into submission. But as he promised not only to the people, but to himself, that this city will be delivered out of the hands of the enemy and the enemy shall be delivered into their hands instead. He looked at the soldiers to the right and left of him. He remembered that four days ago they were cowards. Now they were lions, something that comforted him deep inside.

“So this is the challenge we are presented with?” Gustavus Adolphus said, startling Darius of his sudden appearance. Darius smiled.

“I afraid to say so… They promised me eight thousand and we get six thousand… Oh well…” Darius said sarcastically.

Gustavus caught on to Darius’s mockery of Lombard’s army.

“Well… Maybe those tin boxes of theirs might offer us some fun.” Gustavus chuckled.

“Let’s see if those bottle rockets can actually hurt anyone.” Darius said, mocking their artillery.

It was all fun and games until Gustavus and Darius looked onto the battlefield again. In the distance they could make out a figure on a horse, riding at great speed towards the gates. Darius immediately understood who it was and sprinted down from the massive walls, leaving Gustavus clueless on what the importance was with that man. The man on the horse stopped right in front of the gargantuan steel doors, demanding attention with the city’s leaders, preaching how that if they were to give up, they would be promised a swift death and a their civilians a ‘light’ punishment. While he continued to mock the soldiers, the colossal gates opened. The two massive doors leaked enough room for only one man to make it through. The horseman waited eagerly, preparing his speech of pseudo-mercy to be spat upon the leaders. Instead, he was greeted by Darius, striding towards him with arms wide open. The horseman was baffled at this sight, completely confused at Darius’s hospitality.

“Welcome to Valencia my dear messenger! Tell me, what news do you have for us? Is it something of peace or sorrow my friend?” Darius greeted.

“Uhhh Uhhh” The horseman stuttered, intimidated by Darius’s size and god like looks. “I bear word that… that… If you surrender, your deaths will be short and punishment will… will… will be light.”

Darius stopped only a few feet in front of him, falling to his knees in laughter.
“Surrender? I dare say my good friend, who ever told you to ask us for surrender is clearly a little… little uneducated about our city.” Darius said, wiping a tear off under his eye.

Darius walked over, leaning his arm over the back of the horse. The horseman’s eyes grew wide with awe and terror as he gazed upon the awesome human known as Darius.

“I see that you are quiet uncomfortable on that horse… Let me help you down…”

Darius lifted up the man and set him down on the ground with ease. He looked down in the horseman’s eyes, smiling with fake kindness.

“You see, it’s usually a barbaric tradition that the leader would kill the messenger and send his corpse back on the horse he road on… however, I am not a man of barbaric tradition. So today, I have a different tradition that signifies the same meaning… But it’s not as terrible like the prior.” Darius grinned at the intimated man.

Darius pulled out the gifted blade and within a fraction of a second swung the blade through the air. The horseman fell to his knees, covering his head as a pathetic attempt to protect himself from Darius’s blow. But yet, no pain was felt. He looked up to see that it was not his own head that was removed, but his horse’s head. There it laid in front of him in a pool of blood, lifeless and depleted of grace.

“NO! NO! Why did you kill her!? WHY!?” The horseman cried, hugging the decapitated head of the beast with love.

Darius yanked the man from the head and lifted him above ground, holding him at eye level. He stared at the weeping man with anger and hatred.

“Now listen here! You arrived here as a man of arrogance and full of pride, but you shall now leave humbled and full of sorrow. Take this head and tell your leader that if he dares tries to make a move, his fate shall be the same as of this horse! Now on with you boy, leave this place before you demise is the same as your beloved beast!” Darius yelled, throwing the horseman to the ground.

The man lifted up the horse’s head and walked back to his army, weeping and mournful of the lost of his friend. Darius walked back into the city, angered by the man’s contempt behavior.

It was after dusk when the siege began. The screams of shells and cannon echoed through the air as Lombard punished the walls of Valencia. The armies of Valencia responded with auto-cannon fire and mortar shells, keeping the troops and tanks at bay. But the sheer numbers of Lombard we too much for Darius and his army to hold back. It was deep in the night that Lombard finally made her move. The armor divisions rolled forward, focusing fire on the only entrance to the city: the gate. Again and again the shells and rockets pounded on the steel doors, scraping its layers off one at a time. But their armored push was not without casualties. As Darius promised the soldiers threw the same damage back at them with even more ferocity, wrecking the tanks as they fired upon the gates. But even with this conviction, Valencia’s doors were torn down. The armored brigade threw all of what they got at the tanks storming in, ripping apart the vehicles of destruction. This defeat of Lombard’s armored core sent shockwaves through the infantry, spreading doubt to their invincibility. But as they were trained, the soldiers of the enemy poured into the city, only to face suppression fire of the entrenched forces of Valencia. But within just a few minutes, the ranged combat turned into a brawl. Soldiers forced themselves into hand-to-hand combat, stabbing and beating each other with bayonets and knives like savage barbarians. The chaos between the forces grew to a point where one could not look and not see a dead man. Darius watched as the waves of Lombard’s troops began to surge in the city. This was his call. Darius strode into the wave of the enemy with his blade out, slicing and hacking any man brave enough to stand against him. He was always a man of peace and reason, but this battle could only be solved by violence and irrational behavior... Something that was a little satisfying to his anger.

Every wave that Lombard threw at him, Darius smote down. More and more troops rushed forward at him, hoping they could kill Valencia’s champion, but every attempt failed. After the entire night spent in pure combat, the mighty army of Lombard was no more. Darius watched the remaining soldier route, yelling and screaming that all was lost. They arrived with six thousand and left with only four hundred. Valencia on the other hand, only lost a handful. The streets were littered with the fallen, blood strewn all over the ground and buildings. Every structure around the edge of the mighty walls was nothing but memories. But even with all of this destruction, Darius won. Throughout the city the cries of victory sounded. The troops sung the national anthem as they celebrated their impossible victory over the juggernaut. Darius stood over the bodies that he had slain throughout the night and watched the troops and emerging civilian population celebrate their victory.

“And here is the victor, standing proudly over the enemy that has threaten us for so long!” Praised a familiar voice.

“And here is the man who kept the fire going through the blackest night…” Darius said.

Darius stepped down from the mountain of the deceased and waded back to clearer ground across the street.

“Unlike all of the other politicians, I knew that you were more than capable of handling this vicious fiasco.” Virgil said with a smile.

“Unlike all of the other politicians, I knew that you were the only one who could keep everyone sane during this siege.” Darius said as he embraced Virgil.

“Come! Let us head back to the academy and get you cleaned up. You looked like you’ve been through hell and back.” Virgil laughed, putting his hand on Darius’s back and leading him.

“Well… War is hell...” Darius muttered.

“DARIUS! DARIUS!” Cried a man behind them.

Both of them turned around to see a soldier running towards them, his face covered with grief.

“What is it?” Darius asked.

“My lord! Hector and Isabel are dead!”

Darius looked upon to see a massive crowd gathered around his manor, mourning and weeping for the deaths of their beloved ruler. Darius shoved his way through the crowds frantically, hoping that this was all a dream. There they were: Hector and Isabel, both laying dead on the ground with a shot in each heart. Darius walked slowly to his dead parents, praying to himself that this was all a sick nightmare. The crowd was silent when Darius fell to his knees, slowly grooming Isabel’s hair. He could not deny it anymore; they were dead. Darius gathered the bodies of Hector and Isabel into his arms, cradling them as one would do with a new born babe. He sat there, grieving for them while he rocked them slowly. It was too much for him to handle. Darius dropped the bodies on the ground and cried out with anger and sorrow. He screamed at the crowd, sending the people down onto the ground. He demanded to know how they died. It was quiet before a soldier spoke out.

“My… My lord… Apparently a strike force snuck in during the siege and… and assassinated them while they were on their way out to one of the safe havens...” Said the soldier quietly.

“Why didn’t they leave before like the others!!??” Darius screamed.

“It… It was… was…”

“IT WAS WHAT?!”

Darius’s scream sent the poor soldier on the ground, staggering to get back up. He looked into Darius’s eyes and saw that they were full of unmatched hate and grief. He knew that his explanation would be the end of him, but that mattered not to him.

“Hector and Isabel stayed back so that the civilian population could be lead to safety first. They would leave last to insure that the people were safe, not them! It was an act of selflessness!” The soldier said as he prepared for his end.

Darius grabbed the man and raised his fist in the air, ready to smite him. But something deep down inside stopped him. He thought for a moment about the man’s explanation. Darius wanted to kill the man, but that was his anger speaking, not himself. He set down the soldier and backed up, realizing that his anger was not solving anything.

“So… so you are saying that my beloved parents sacrificed themselves for the protection of the people?” Darius quietly asked.

“Yes they did…”

“Please forgive my inexcusable behavior… I… I need to be alone for a while…” Darius said, slowly walking back to the academy.

The crowd watched him disappear from the scene as if it never happened. During this time Virgil asked the crowd to dissipate from the area and to continue on to help restore the city. Virgil over looked the removal of Hector and Isabel’s bodies, silently mourning for the lost of such a noble couple. But in the deep recesses of his mind, Virgil knew that their deaths have caused more harm on Darius then the city. He needed to talk to him, not as a counselor, but as a friend.

It had been a week since the deaths of lord Hector and Isabel. The funerals that were held for them were undoubtedly full of sorrow and remorse. The entire city attended to see the last of their marvelous and benevolent leaders before they descended into the cold earth. But the only person who did not attend the funeral was Darius. He sat in his quarters in the academy for the entire week alone. No one knew why he exiled himself to his room for so long. Some speculated that he had committed suicide over such loss, while others theorized that he had gone insane from such tragedy. Whatever the case was, no one knew what was going on with him. With so much rumor and gossip, Virgil decided that it was time to see what Darius was up to in his quarters. He approached the giant oak door and asked for his attention.

“My lord, it has been an entire week since the public has last seen you.” Virgil said.

Darius did not respond, but Virgil heard activity on the other side.

“If you are not going to respond here, I might as well just come dancing in.”

Virgil unlocked the door with a twist of his mind and walked in. The windows were closed with covered blinds and only two lights illuminated the room. All over the wall were maps of the city states and the country outwards. The lines of territory have been highlighted with red pen and other various land marks in blue. He saw the bed flipped upside down and connected to his desk, creating a massive flat surface that supported a map of huge proportions. Darius was bent over, studying the entire map with small objects resembling soldiers and tanks. Darius slowly lifted his head up and stared at Virgil in sort of a half mad way.

“During the past week Virgil… I… I had a revelation…” Darius spoke quietly.

Virgil closed the door behind him and walked over to the map.

“What kind of revelation?...” Virgil asked.

“Over the past week I decided that I needed to take my mind off over the death of my parents. So what did I do then? I studied this city’s history. And you know what I found out?” Darius smiled.

“What did you find among your scholarly studies?”

“I have found out that over the past six hundred years, not one time that the entire conglomeration of the city states have been united under one… one power.” Darius grinned.

At first Virgil didn’t understand what Darius was up to. But as he studied the maps and the markings on them, Virgil caught on to what Darius had been doing all week.

“You cant be serious…” Virgil gasped.

“That’s right…” Darius smiled, stabbing Lombard on the map with a knife as he stood up. “I am going to unite these people.”

“Unite the city states!? Are you out of your mind Darius!” Virgil said with disbelief.

“And why do you think it is such a horrible idea?” Darius asked.

“Well for starters we have barely recovered from a full out siege! Second, we don’t even have the troops to even scratch the surface of the weakest cities! And third the people are not going to support this!”

Darius chuckled. “Virgil, once again do you have not faith in me?”

“This isn’t about a matter of faith; it’s a matter of rationality! We simply don’t have the resources and motivation to launch a full out war! And another thing, why do you lust for conquest? You have always been a man against spilling blood, but all of a sudden you are hell bent on conquering this world! Why is it? Has the siege of a week ago driven you mad?!”

“Why? Why?! Because I want Valencia to prosper not in arms or resources, but prosper in the people! You think of this as some sort of blood thirsty rampage, but the truth is that it is not! I am trying to unify the city states for the better of all of us! It may require us to lift the blade above our fellow man, but in the long terms of this, it will be better for all of us! The bond between cities shall no longer be shaky diplomacy, but that of brotherhood!” Darius explained.

“And what makes this different than the failed expansion of Lombard?”
“What makes this different is that it is not motivated by greed or pride! But by peaceful unity!”

“How can conquest and war, two things that are completely opposite of peace, bring happiness and comfort to this world?” Virgil questioned.

“I will prove you wrong with that.” Darius assured.

“This is of utter insanity Darius… I will let you play with this plan, but don’t come crying to me if this does not turn out like you dream… As of right now I do not support this action… However, if you do prove me wrong then I will take support it into consideration.” Virgil sternly said, walking out of the room.

“I will prove you wrong… for the better…” Darius whispered to himself.

The majority of the city tuned in on Darius’s important address. From actually being at the sight to radio and TV, people listened quietly of this rare and unusual speech. There sat thousands upon thousands of people standing in front of the capital building, waiting for their new beloved leader to come out and address his message. Virgil stood on the right of the vacant podium, astonished by the attendance. The doors of the capital swung open to reveal Darius, dressed in an attire of that of a grand conqueror and king. He walked down to the stand with an aura of inspiration and confidence surrounding him. He surveyed the crowd, looking at their faces of awe and wonder. His people were listening.

“It has been eleven days since the murderous assault from Lombard. This has without question brought doubt among us whether we are safe or not in this world, let alone in our own city. We have for the past six hundred years been defending and fighting for our protection and freedom not from foreign nations… but from our own neighbors! Diplomacy and reason have failed to bring peace and prosperity among us all in our homes!”

The crowd cheered and applauded Darius’s words.

“But I have a solution for this problem amongst us all. A drastic solution. So today, I propose an action that will change the course of this world. In three days time, we shall launch a campaign that will unite this landscape under one rule! And this rule shall usher in the peace and prosperity that everyone desires!” Darius inspired.

The crowd threw up their arms and voices, whipped into a frenzy of praise for Darius.

“I ask you so kindly, will you stand by my side as we unite this world! As we unite our brothers and sisters of the other states under one banner! A banner of freedom! A banner of hope! A banner of brotherhood!”

The crowd announced their support for Darius’s new campaign of uniting the lands. The soldiers across the city lifted their guns in the air and supported his cause of unity among the land. Virgil was dumb struck by the people’s insane fanaticism for Darius. But he too rethought his previous position about this idea of conquest. Maybe Darius was right. Maybe he will bring a new order of peace among the land. A new era of prosperity for not only Valencia, but for the whole land.

Three days after the speech, Darius gathered up the troops and marched out of the city for the lands of the neighboring cities. He led his cohorts and armored columns outside of the walls and began his campaign. He first marched onto Lombard and stormed the city in a eight hour siege. All that stood before him were crushed and slaughtered, but yet the civilian population did not suffer one wound. With lighting speed he moved over to Milan, smashing through the gates and planting the banner of Valencia on the capital spire. Over the course of a year, he united the entire known lands of the city states under one rule… His rule. His plan of unity was unquestionably successful, bringing in a new era of prosperity among the people of the land. However, this did not satisfy his dreams. He took his armies and expanded to other foreign lands. Through the deserts, forests, swamps, tundras and plains, he conquered the entire world in a matter of five months, uniting it under one glorious rule. For the next thirty years, the world later known as Pompeii, would see an era of peace, prosperity and unity, Darius’s ultimate dream.

Darius sat in his royal court, now made up from the wisest men around the world, discussing the plans of expanding their empire to the next hospitable planet in their system. When the meeting was almost adjourned, a messenger came bursting through the main doors.

“Lord Darius! I come bearing urgent news!” The man gasped, falling to one knee showing his respect to him.

Virgil looked at Darius with the same interest and surprise of this message.

“Well, what news do you bring me?” Darius asked suspiciously.

“There is a man, adorned with golden armor, demanding your attention outside. He claims that he is the Emperor of mankind…”

Discussion starter · #26 ·
This is my last update before part four. It will be delayed much longer than I anticipated. This week has been nothing more than homework and exams, thus cutting my writing time to nothing more than about twenty minutes a day. I am sorry for this extended wait.

Discussion starter · #27 · (Edited)

Part Four​

“So you are telling me that there is a man outside who claims that he is the sole leader of the entire human race and also claims that I am his long lost son?”

“Well… Basically yes my lord.” The messenger said quietly, fearing to stir up the scorn of Darius.

“Of all of my years I have never heard of such lunacy!” Darius laughed.

“I may be skeptical about his claims my lord, but his appearance counters that doubt.” The messenger admitted.

“Appearance is nothing in my eyes young man… Now go tell the poor old coot that he is not worthy of my attention. I have much more pressing matters to attend.” Darius waved off.

The messenger walked out of the room, confused on whether to believe the mysterious man or his lord. Darius excused the council, still snickering at the news that the young servant brought. Yet, even with this outrageous claim, he was curious about this man.

“Maybe this poor man is stricken by some sort of mental illness.” Darius said to Virgil as they walked out of the courtroom.

“Well, if his case is that severe than maybe you should be easy on this man and forgive his mistakes of identity.”

“Don’t worry. I will give him a special spot in therapy.” Darius chuckled.

A low rumbling of sound grew as they walked towards the main exit of the courtroom, increasing in volume with every step. Darius glimpsed through one of the windows down the hall to see enormous groups of people gathered around the entrance of the capital building. The number of the multitude was so great that Darius couldn’t see the road or the sidewalks. He pushed the large doors of the courthouse open and looked in wonder at the sight. There standing in front of the populace were men clad in steel golden armor as thick as a tank and as durable as one. Their weaponry and stature were grand compare to his troops standing by them and their austere presence was beyond what a normal man can produce. Darius and Virgil pushed through the crowds of people, moving slowly towards the steps of the capital building. He could hear the gossip and awe of the people as he made his way through the thick of the crowd. He emerged to see a sight of wonder and awe. There stood in front of him was a man clad with golden armor that was adorned with eagles and other ornate decorations. In his right hand was a blade of superficial design while his left bore an oversized eagle claw. The great man turned his attention to Darius and looked straight at him in the eyes, presenting him with a warm smile.

“And here he is…” The mighty man said in a proud tone.

Darius looked at him strangely. “And who is this?”

“I am the Emperor of mankind and I am here to bring a lost lamb back to the fold.”

“And who is this lamb that you seek?”

“It is you, my lost beloved son.”

Darius broke out into hysterics. Virgil tried to calm Darius down, whispering to him that this man was needed to be respected. But he paid no attention.

“My son!? I am your son?! If I am your son then I urinate rainbows and my excrement transforms into butterflies on contact with the ground! I am your son… what kind of claim is that?!” Darius said in extreme disbelief and ridicule.

To Virgil’s surprise the Emperor showed no signs of frustration and insult. Instead the giant golden king waited patiently as Darius finished laughing at these ridiculous claims.

“I understand that such news is hard to believe my son, but make no mistake that I am telling the truth. Come now my beloved lost son, you legion awaits.”
Darius looked at the Emperor with no respect or belief.

“Tell me then, if I am your lost son, why did you not claim me as your child when I was found on the cold plains of the wilderness? Surely a loving and responsible parent would not abandon their child in the clear where beasts and hungry predators roam freely…” Darius pointed out, making the Emperor look like the villain rather than the savior.

“I can tell you all of this later Darius! The truth behind the separation between you and me is far too complex to describe in a few words.” The Emperor explained.

“Well, if it’s that personal then, I don’t think that it should be a problem for you to discuss this whole truth inside?” Darius said, smiling as he extended his arm towards the capital building’s door.

The Emperor looked at his personal guard and they agreed to head inside. The Emperor, Darius, Virgil and the guard disappeared inside the building, the crowed watching and gossiping behind them. As the massive doors closed behind, Darius whipped around, ready to here the man’s weird explanation.

“Okay, explain all of this nonsense to me… I promise that I will listen and not interrupt a single word…”

The Emperor cleared his throat “You were born from the greatest traits that I had to offer to mankind. You were born to lead mankind out of darkness and into a great age of prosperity and peace among the stars. But as I watched you grow in the womb of steel, you were whisked away by man’s greatest threat. For years I have searched the stars to recover my sons and return them back to the fold, for they and you were lost among the celestial bodies. But my search for you is over my son, and now I wish for you to join me and your brothers into uniting mankind under one banner. Your brothers and your legion wait for you Darius, please, do not make them wait any longer! Mankind needs their savior!” The Emperor explained with vigor.

“And who is this great enemy of ours?” Darius asked, raising one eye brow.

“They are the nightmares beyond the grasp of this material plane, forged through hate, pain, lust and deceit. They are known as the Chaos Gods, malevolent masters of those who are corrupted. They scattered you and your brothers across the stars, hoping that this separation would destroy you, for they fear you Darius. They want to enslave mankind under their demonic grasp and destroy all that is righteous.”

Darius rolled his eyes at the Emperor’s tale.

“So you are telling me that I was born in a steel cage and was whisked across the cosmos by some silly deities from who knows where, and that I am some silly savior who needs to save mankind from various forms of destruction with my brothers?” Darius sarcastically said.

“In a cynical and twisted form, that would be correct, but that is still grossly distorted Darius.”

“I’ve had enough of this. I will admit that you can tell a good story, but this is just pure lunacy. Take your men and few ships and leave this planet. I’m sorry to say, but you are wasting my time here. Just look outside, I don’t see my people in distress; I don’t see this planet in pain, and I certainly don’t see any demonic gods trying to rule and dominate my people. Please just leave, my guards will lead you out the doors.” Darius said having enough of the Emperor’s insane explanations.

Two of guardsmen started to lead the Emperor and his personal retinue out the door, but the ruler of mankind held his ground.

“If you cannot believe me through my words, then maybe I could convince you through your eyes.”

Darius turned around, again lifting his eyebrow, curious of what the Emperor said.

“And what do you mean by this?”

“Since I see that you are a man who believes what he sees, then I will show you proof of my status, power, and skill.” The Emperor smiled.

“And how are you going to achieve this for me? You’re going to ask those gods to kindly to appear for a few seconds?” Darius mocked again.

“Follow me outside the gates.”

Darius, along with Virgil and a squad of his best troops, followed the Emperor and his retinue outside of the walls of Valencia. Once they passed the threshold of the mighty city, Darius looked upon thousands of soldiers, all wearing the massive steel armor as he saw outside of the capital building, shaded with a faint white and black rims. Rows upon rows they stood, waiting orders from their great leader. There laid in the back were tanks, artillery and heavy support, all standing idle for this presentation of power. Darius was impressed, but still not convinced.

“I see that you brought along some of you men with you. But I can see that they bear the mark of the wolf. Did you have to borrow these men from someone else?” Darius chuckled.

“Oh, these men are not of mine, but of your brother’s.” The Emperor smiled.
As soon as the Emperor finished those words, a warrior, wearing a large and boastful armor, strided towards them. Darius could see the warm welcome in his eyes of the great boon, his clawed arm stretched out as to embrace him.

“Is this the glorious Darius that these people laud and praise across this paradise they call home?” The giant warrior said in joy, embracing Darius like he knew him all his life.

“And who you might be strange one?” Darius asked, resenting the embrace.

“I am Horus, leader of this legion, the Luna Wolves.” He said, extending his arm out, presenting his troops like they were his greatest prize. “But most importantly I am your brother.”

Darius pushed himself out of Horus’s affection. “Brother? This is just ridiculous on so many levels here…”

“How so?” Horus calmly asked.

“How so?! I have a man here who claims that I am his son, and now, a completely different man of both looks and tone has declared himself as my brother! Am I the only one here taking hallucinogens here?”

Horus heart was saddened to see that Darius resented him as not only as a friend but also as a brother. But that did not discourage him from proving his bond.

“The resemblance might not be the same, but I can see that your blood and ideas are one with mine, is that not enough to see that we are brothers?” Horus replied.

Darius rolled his eyes. “And what ideas are these you speak of that makes use the ‘same’, brother?”

“We both share the love for our people. We both share the love of freedom for our people. We both share the love of prosperity and peace!” Horus proved.

“I still don’t see how that proves any connection between us as brothers or even as relatives. Many leaders that I have seen in my life shared the same vision that I have. What makes your case any different? From your point that was a relatively a stupid reason for our connection.” Darius countered.

The two of them continued to debate over how they were related or not until the Emperor interrupted, having enough of this pointless arguing.

“I can see that this has gone off course for why we are here. Darius, though we cannot change your mind about our bondage through blood, I ask you, like I did before, to lead your legion under my name and help reunite mankind!”

Darius pondered for a moment, thinking about his offer.

“No. My time and life is with the people here on this world, not those who I have never met or cared.”

The Emperor was running out of ideas and arguments that would convince Darius to join the Imperium’s crusade, but when all was lost Horus offered out a challenge that Darius could not resist.

“I know this sounds a little barbaric, but how about we solve this with… a duel?”

The idea grabbed Darius’s attention. “Why would a duel decide my fate on whether I should join you or not?”

“Because if you defeat me, we will leave you alone. No more arguing, no more debating, we will pick up and leave you and your system alone.”

Darius was interested in this idea since he was sick of all of this circular debating.

“But” Horus continued “If I win, you fight for us and mankind.”

“Those are just the terms and conditions?”

“Correct.” Horus smiled, knowing that this is actually going somewhere unlike prior attempts.

“Give me a moment.” Darius said.

He stopped to think about this offer. He wanted to decline this and leave it
be, but a horrendous familiar pain screamed across his mind and body, feeling like someone was tearing his insides apart. He felt those words creep across
his mind as the demonic voice spoke.

Listen to me… Accept this challenge... Trust me…

Darius was about scream in pain but suddenly the horrible sensation dissipated, as like it never happened. For the sake of distracting himself from the pain, Darius pulled out his sword and admired the work. He looked and saw his reflection on the perfectly polished steel. The blade sang to him again, comforting and calming him down. Somehow, the blade’s hypnotic beauty soothed him, like it did before and before that again.

“And what does the Emperor say about this?” Darius grinned.

Horus glanced at the Emperor, who in turn allowed the test. In the act of a fair game, Horus discarded his ornate power claw and used only his mace. The two of them walked down to the front of the standing legions of space marines, setting the stage and ground for this martial duel. Both of them laid out the rules and terms before both of the titans clashed. The fight was that of legendary proportions. The ferocity of the two men was great and fanatical. Darius’s blade lodged and hacked against the head of Horus’s mace. Every time Horus was about to land a blow, Darius pared it off to the side. Every time Darius was about to strike, Horus’s would knock it off course with his mace. The two giants continued their fight all the way to the witching hour of night, appearing to all that the fight might never end. However, it finally came to a close when Horus pushed Darius to the ground with his mace, the blade falling out of his hands. Horus claimed victory, but achieved it with luck as he later admitted. But during the entire fight, the Emperor watched them with joy and pride. It was not a joy for bloodshed, but rather a joy that a father senses when he sees their sons engaging in an act of brotherhood bonding.

“That was the first time that I have seen Darius beaten in combat... Stubborn man he is... As you can tell he loves his people more than anything else. Asking and convincing him to leave it a monumental accomplishment on your part.”

The Emperor turned around to see Virgil, smiling at him like an old friend.

“And it has been a long time since I’ve seen you Virgil. Tell me, how did your efforts turn out?”

“Some of them listened, but most of them preferred their doom.” Virgil sighed.

The morning light peered through the streets as Darius and Virgil made their leave with the Emperor. Valencia mourned for the loss of their leaders, but at the same time they celebrated for the ascension of the two heroes. They walked slowly out of the city, moving by both the civilians and soldiers that have served and supported them throughout their years. Darius watched the Luna Wolves legion depart in their ships and carriers, heading towards another campaign in the far corners of space. Soon, they as well got aboard the Emperor’s personal ship, heading off towards Darius’s leaderless legion. He watched in awe to see his home city quickly shrink as they ascended higher and higher into the skies until the city was no more. The Emperor told him that they were heading towards the world of Crete in the next system where his legion was waiting him.

They arrived a day later, stopping at the front of a fleet of enormous battle barges drifting above the planet. Instead of boarding on what appeared to be the flag ship, they descended onto the surface of the planet. The closer they got to ground, the more that Darius could make of their landing zone and… the legion waiting for him. Darius bursted out of the small transport as soon as they made contact with the ground, only to step out in awe to see not hundreds, but thousands of those troops that Horus had.

“Darius, I present to you your legion; legion II.” The Emperor said proudly.
Darius was dumbfounded at the numbers that stood before him. Horus had about eight hundred at the gates of Valencia, but here stood eight thousand marines, tenfold compared to Horus’s. They all stood there, looking upon him as if they where his children.

“Does this legion have a name?” Darius asked.

“They have no official name yet, but Horus would call them at times ‘Heaven’s Hammer’.” The Emperor chuckled.

Darius walked down to his men, examining their armor and design. He looked with disappointment at the colors they bore, for their white and gold were all faded to an almost unrecognizable state.

“Why did Horus call them ‘Heaven’s Hammer’?”

“He told me that these men excelled at jump assaults like no other… In fact that he even claimed that they out did his and Sanguinius’s troops. And from there you can obviously tell where their name came from.” The Emperor explained.

“Right… I want every single piece of armor that these men have cleaned up and repainted. If they are going to serve mankind they need to look like soldiers, not some chewed up tin cans. Second, I want a revaluation of what they are good at and what they need to prove. Last, I want to address these men myself after you get one and two done.” Darius ordered.

The Emperor was surprised at the commands that Darius ordered, never seeing any of his sons getting involved with their legion so fast in so little time. His demands echoed throughout the ranks and within seconds all of the troops and vehicles immediately began to evacuate the surface back onto their ships.

“In one week these men will be cleaned up, trained and will be officially ready for my lead.” Darius muttered.

“I can see that you already know how to handle armies and administrations… Well, I will send you one of your brothers in two weeks. Both of you can begin the crusade together… The Cauldris Systems need to be liberated from the orks and I can see that it will take two legions to chew through that empire.” The Emperor said proudly.

Darius watched the leader of mankind walk back to his small ship. In one sense Horus and the Emperor were right, following them and liberating mankind is much more than just ruling in his small system. But even still, his heart belonged to home, something that he longed already. He too was about to embark on his personal carrier with Virgil, but that scraping sensation of pain and horror reaped across his mind once more, sending shivers and pulses of agony throughout his body as the demon spoke to him.

I have brought you this army… Do what you please with them, but when the time comes, obey me or your fate will be that of my other champions.

Darius jerked his head forward, hoping the spasm would throw those words out of his memory.

“I will not listen to you any more you deceptive monster... For I am not your champion.” Darius whispered to himself. “Leave me alone…”

Deceptive? Have I not led you astray?

“No… No you haven’t… But I ask you, why me as… as your… champion?” Darius said, slowly forcing out the question in a whisper.

That revelation shall happen later…

Discussion starter · #31 ·
Sorry for not reading it earlier, I did read your PM, but I always forgot this...

Good as always, but I have one complain: Why would it take a long time for Horus, in his power armor and all to beat someone who is not wearing it? They are both Primarches, but power armor does give the user a huge advantage...

Part five... When? Where? Now? Here?
Skill and... well... Darius's 'little help' if you know what I mean

Discussion starter · #32 · (Edited)
Part five has been changed. Those who had read the prior version of part five need to erase it from your memory. 12/7/2010
Part Five​

“Eric! Come over here!”

Eric heard Eliza’s call and scuttled over to his sister. He found her and his mom having difficulty lifting a giant ore of hematite onto the cart. He raced over to Eliza’s side and helped them push the ore into the cart. The three of them collapsed onto the ground, exhausted from the effort. But without sparing a second to rest, the three of them pushed the cart up the rail, moving the ore to the opening of the mine. Eric and Eliza clung tightly to the cart, lest they be seen falling behind in the overseer’s eyes.

“Mom… I don’t think I can work anymore…” Eliza whimpered as she pushed.

“Don’t worry sweetie, just another four hours and we can find rest in the bunkers…” The mother said calmly.

With the cart loaded up onto the truck, the three of them moved down back into the mines, repeating the grueling process they just finished.

“Mom… What was that story you told us before dad went away?” Eric asked.

“Well, the story goes that one day, we shall be liberated from our captors… rumored to be from another land… And that you, me and Eliza will go far, far away from this place, and live happily ever after…”

A loud crack was heard and the mother fell over, screaming in pain. Eric and Eliza stood in horror as they saw a giant bloody gash opened on her back, blood dripping out freely.

“And such a thing will never happen you stupid human! Now stop talking about false dreams and get back, or I will put an end to your speech!”

Eric and Eliza looked behind and saw the alien overseer, grinning with delight of his caused pain. He brandished his teeth and whip to the children and their mother, smiling with sadistic power. Eric and Eliza helped their mom up and rushed down into the mine, engulfed with fear of their xeno captor. They didn’t stop crawling till they reached to where they last were. The mom then turned and sat down in exhaustion, holding back the tears from the pain of the gash. Eliza curled up next to her and clung on her arm, whimpering and crying for her. Eric on the other hand, was enraged at what the overseer had done this time; his mind broken and finally sick with all of their enslavement. He scrambled around on the ground, frantically trying to find something.

“Eric, what are you doing!?” Eliza asked, shocked by her brothers new found vigor.

“I’m tired of being a slave! I’m going to show that filthy monster never to hit our mom ever again!” Eric grunted in anger.

“But Eric, you will be killed for such an act!”

“I don’t care Eliza! I rather die fighting than live in slavery!” He said, tears of anger now running down his face.

Eric finally found what he was looking for: a sharp and cold rock. But before he could grab the stone, he felt a large tug on him, pulling him away from his tool of war. He turned around to see the same overseer, looking at him with that same horrible smile.

“I think it will take more than a rock to hurt me you stupid human. Come on, see what it can do to me!” The creature laughed, boasting his chest out as an open target.

Eric did not waste a second after his invitation. He picked up the sharp stone and hurled it at the overseer, only to watch in disappointment to see it bounce off his chest plate.

“That was a nice try you little runt. But as all the slaves know, such disobedience goes unpunished! But I see you too young to taste my whip… So maybe your mother would like to take it for you… For as we all know, mothers would do anything to protect their child…” The large over seer grinned, his head slowly turning at the mother.

He grabbed Eric’s mom and pulled her away from them, throwing her on the ground. Eric and Eliza wanted to cry out, but their mouths were locked in fear. They watched with pain to see their mother beaten and lashed by the monster. Every strike drew more and more blood, but it was the last strike that was the most brutal and bloody. The barbed whip lashed on the earth next to the mom, the recoil causing the harpoon like end to pierce her lower jaw, hooking on to it. The overseer then yanked his whip with all of his might, laughing while he pulled. With a bone breaking sound the lower jaw ripped off, throwing a trail of blood in the air. Eliza cried in absolute terror as she watched her mom stare at them with her lower jaw missing. Eric saw the tears running uncontrollably down from his mom’s face as she crawled back to them, but the overseer wasn’t done to their surprise. He grabbed her and dragged her over to the edge of a mine shaft, laughing as she kicked and thrashed. In the time of a heartbeat, the overseer threw her over the edge, Eric and Eliza speechless of the action.

“With that distraction out of the way, how about you humans get back to work!” The overseer bellowed.

Eliza broke down and cried, sobbing uncontrollably. Eric too whimpered and moaned for what the alien had done to their mom, losing what he and Eliza considered their only reason to live. The overseer on the other hand, had enough of their trauma. He walked over, waving his whip around as he was ready to give them a warning strike.

“If there is anything that makes me more infuriated than the Emperor’s enemies are those who harm innocent women and children. Those crimes are only punishable by death…”

The giant xeno stopped after those words. He turned around, only to find himself staring up in the eyes of a man of great stature and height.

“And who are you to say that I am to be punished slave?!”

“Let me bring in the light that is needed in here… for I am no slave you filthy waste of flesh.” The giant man said.

The man whipped out a small box and with a small click, the area around them was illuminated. Eric and Eliza shielded themselves from the sudden brightness, until their eyes focused once more. They looked at the man and saw that he was no slave, but a great man in golden and white armor, wielding an axe of master design in his right hand. They found his hair and beard to be brown and clean, free from any of the filth down here. They stared at him with awe… with glorious joy.

“What is…”

The giant man shot out his arm, grabbing the overseer by the neck. His grasp tightened as the overseer flailed and thrashed, trying to escape from the giant’s hold. But the more the alien struggled, the harder the pressure the man gave. The giant man slowly drew the xeno closer to his face, close enough that he could smell its foul breath.

“And these shall be the last words you will hear my disgusting friend… Mors principum est…”

And with a quick jerk, the sound of a breaking neck rang throughout the mine. Eric and Eliza were in joyous silence as they watched the body of the overseer drop to the cold earth dead. But even with their liberation of the evil alien, they were still scared to move, for the giant man was as well intimidating.

“Do not be afraid, for I am not here to bring death, but to bring life back into your broken souls. Come, we must leave this place.” The giant man beckoned.

Eric and Eliza slowly stood up and walked towards the man, approaching him with care. When they were in an arm’s reach of him, he grabbed both of them and moved quickly out of the cave. They watched in joy to see the light of day coming closer and closer to them, but all was not well from what they heard outside. Sounds of death and pain echoed into the mine from the surface, changing Eric’s mind about the man. But before he could make the conclusion that this man was to do them harm, he saw a sight that he has dreamed all along. Hundreds and hundreds of golden armored men marched towards the aliens that have taken Eric and his people into bondage. They wielded weapons of war that he has never even dreamed of, blasting away at the alien. The enemy fought back, but their skill and weapons were no match against the armor of these mysterious saviors. He could see the armored men pushing them back, slowly removing them from the earth. As they did this, they cried out “urbes constituit aetas, hora dissolvit!”

“Do not be afraid my child, we do no harm to humanity, to your people. Go now, there is a ship that is ready to take you far away from this scene.” The giant man said as he put them down on the ground.

Eric and Eliza were about to depart the man, but curiosity caught the better of Eric.

“Sir… May I ask who you are?”

The giant man turned around and smiled. “I am Michael, the leader of the 1st company of the Archangels.”

The next thing Eric saw was Michael running off, axe in hand, charging into the fray with his brethren.

“My lord, here are the reports of the conquest of Phobia Prime.”

Captain Michael handed a small packet of paper and a data slip to Darius. The primarch grabbed the report and skimmed over the details, eyeing over the main facts.

“May I ask what were the casualties and tolls of this liberation?” Darius asked, his eyes still glued to specific pages.

“1st, 2nd and 8th companies suffered very little losses. The Yoggoths have been purged as you have ordered my lord, and all of the civilian population under enslavement has been relocated and integrated into the Imperium.” Michael proudly replied.

“That is excellent! I shall record this report in the Tomica Battilica. In the mean time, refresh your men and equipment… We strike Delphi in two days time!” Darius said, excusing Michael as he strode off to his room.

“My lord! The orks have taken the eastern front of our line! If we hold such positions any longer we will lose our left flank!”

Darius listened to the words of Captain Gabriel, but did not respond to them. Instead he stared straight at the enemy in the short distance away, watching the orks go toe-to-toe against his seraphim assault squad and marines.
“My lord, are there any orders for this?” Gabriel asked impatiently.

Darius slowly turned his head towards his captain’s eyes. “Take your seraphim squad and crush the opponents on the eastern front, removing the instant threat over there. Spread word to Captain Michael to do the same on the right flank, equalizing forces on both ends. In the mean time, I shall dispatch this warboss myself. If he falls, so do these disgusting xenos… Go now.”

“How are you going to grab the attention of that brute? His position is too far for him to spot you in the thick of battle!”

Darius smiled “A warboss is always seen in the best of battle… And the best of battle always seem to tag along wherever I go… Attracting him would be no problem… Go now.”

Gabriel nodded at the order and rallied the veteran assault marines under his wing. Darius on the other hand closed his eyes and dulled his senses, mentally drifting away from the battle. As he slowly entered his state of peace, he began to repeat the phrase “Aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem” over and over again under his breath. He continued chanting the old words until he felt calm and steady, blurring all outside influences and distractions. When he was in his deepest state of tranquility, he opened his eyes, pulled out his blade, and within a heartbeat, strode into the front lines of the orks. Darius walked confidently into the fray of xenos, still repeating the golden phrase from earlier. The orks attention was drawn to Darius immediately as soon as he entered the chaos, hewing and hacking at the offenders in front of him. Screaming and howling with excitement and bloodlust, the green skins launched themselves onto the angelic primarch, hoping to take his head as a trophy. But all those who tested Darius in combat were hewn down by his blade. More and more orks joined in against Darius as he finished wave after wave of them. But all met the same fate by his blade. Such death and carnage among the ork ranks finally drew the attention of their leader, warboss Ead’ Eater. He watched Darius’s waltz of death with excitement and joy, finding him to be an excellent candidate for another trophy.

“Well well well, looky ‘ere boyz!” Ead’Eater smiled. “Da kream of da krop decides to join da battle.”

Ead’Eater strolled forward in front of his guard, gesturing that they stay behind. “Watch how dis is done ya gitz! Day don’t call me Ead’Eater for nothing!” The gargantuan ork laughed.

The warboss steam rolled over the ranks behind the ork front lines, heading straight over towards Darius, screaming his personal war cry. Visions of glory and victory filled the massive ork’s mind as he approached the primarch, ready to tear the human apart limb by limb. But unknown to Ead’Eater, Darius was well aware of his coming. The xeno warlord launched himself over the other orks, smashing into the ground right in front of Darius. He growled and howled, sending the boys away from the two of them, signifying that this was his fight. While Ead’Eater invoked fear to all of that surrounded him, Darius was not impressed with his display.

“You know I have been waiting for some time to meet you.” Darius smiled. “I was beginning to think that you were too scared to fight me.”

“Too scared?! All’ight ya stoopid humie, if you thinks your betta than me and my boyz, thens ya gonna ‘ave to prove it!” Ead’Eater snarled.

“Fine, whatever makes you happy and warm inside…” Darius chuckled.

Ead’Eater roared as he charged over. The massive ork raised his two power claws over Darius, screaming at the top of his lungs. The giant slammed the ground with all of his strength, shaking and tearing up the earth around him. He lifted his claws to see if he obliterated the champion, but to his dismay, he missed.

“For such a big warrior you do have poor aim…” Darius mocked.

Ead’Eater turned around to see the primarch still alive and well. Without thought, he again lunged at Darius, ripping up the ground as he moved. But as before, Darius moved to the side, letting the warboss crash into the ground away from him. Ead’Eater was getting annoyed at this cowardly behavior.

“If ya so strong and tuff, why don’t cha fight!?” He bellowed with anger.

“Well, I see that you are quite anxious to taste my blade…” Darius smiled again, gesturing him to come and duel.

The ork warlord sprinted towards Darius, telling himself over and over again that he would not fall to such a clumsy move again. But as Ead’Eater raised his right arm to strike, Darius lunged in and thrusted his blade into the xeno’s heart. It screamed with agony as the blood poured from the open wound, the monster landing face first into the ground. Ead’Eater rolled on his back and looked at his chest, finding it covered with earth and enormous amounts of blood.

“Dis can’t be! I can’t be defeeted!” Ead’Eater moaned in disbelief as he tried to get up.

Darius slashed at the warboss’s legs and arms as he walked up towards his head, destroying his ability to get up. He then walked on top of the beast and spoke softly to him in the ear while he was holding his throat:

“Mors ultima linea rerum est…”

And with one final movement, Darius plunged the blade straight through the throat of Ead’Eater. Chaos erupted within the ork ranks as they all turned on each other to take the position of warboss. Nobs began to fight and argue amongst themselves to see who is the biggest while the lesser orks fought against the nobs they didn’t support in leadership. This insanity was just what the marines needed to break the stalemate. With no sense of order, the orks were gunned down by bolter fire, plasma fire and chain weapons. The once unstoppable green tide began to recede as Darius and his Archangels steamrolled the disorganized orks, ending the battle. Within hours, Ead’Eaters army was diminished and removed from the wooded valley, leaving the majority of the planet open for conquest.

“My trusted brothers in arms, tonight I would like to commemorate you all for your outstanding leadership in the Axiom campaign and the liberation of the system. I have seen many great captains from this legion and my brothers, but I have to say you are the finest the Imperium has! A toast to the Emperor, the Imperium, and the Archangels!”

“To the Imperium!” Cried the captains.

Darius and his captains sat at the marble table and took a drink from their golden chalices, celebrating their victory and liberation of the Axiom system. Such a small celebration of the conquest was a warm welcome for Darius. For the next couple of hours he drank and talked with his captains, going over battles and other events of old. But as the time drew on the marines understood that they needed to get back to work. Darius excused them for this and was left alone in the grand hall, sitting at the end of the mammoth marble table. While wine and alcohol never had any effect on him, for some strange reason it made his a little sleepy this time. Understanding that he hadn’t slept in over two weeks, he decided that it wouldn’t be a bad idea to take a small nap, justifying that it is necessary for a leader to rest once in a while.

The smell of incense and rot overcame Darius as he slowly opened his eyes. Such a smell and aroma was not present in the great hall, and of that he awoke in alarm. Instead he found himself in a stone corridor, lined with columns and torches of royalty, all something too familiar. He looked around and found himself alone, the dim light his only companion in the royal hall. As he tried to get up from the floor, he found to his surprise that his movement was slightly limited. Darius looked down and found himself wearing a beautiful silver breast plate, adorned with lions and eagles. He also found the styles of his new garments he was wearing to be that of military attire, boasting black and red as the main colors. But the most attention drawing thing was the sword on his left side. It was no ordinary sword, but the blade that he uses in life! This baffled him, for prior visions such as these he never had an object that was with him outside of the dream besides his clothes.

This new clothing and armor looked so familiar to him, but to his dismay he couldn’t remember where he last saw it! But aside from his new wardrobe, everything else felt familiar. The mosaics and frescos were still bold and beautiful and the architecture still clean and royal. But the torches he noticed were dim and dying, burning with a rotting odor that smelled like burning flesh. He could smell that this odor was coming from the royal chambers, a place he remembers too well for its decadence and decay. Deciding to investigate, Darius strode down the corridor. While moving towards the door, a sensation made him feel that he was going to do something on the other side… something like finishing a personal task that dealt with an individual. He was about to push the doors open but found the handles to be chained together with an ornate padlock of steel. Darius didn’t know what to do at first with this lock, but an eerie feeling drew him to his back pocket behind the sash. From there he drew a black steel key of great weight. Immediately he put the key in the lock, listening to the key working the mechanics inside. With a snap and loud crash, the doors were unbarred. With a push with his left hand, he opened the doors.

The foul odor of blood, rot and decay overcame Darius as he entered the chamber. The scene was all too familiar: the royalty of the court were in a state of cannibalistic ecstasy and rape. All were engaged in acts of sensual pleasure and torture, doing that which is most abominable. While at first Darius was disgusted at this, he soon felt a creepy feeling that he wanted them to do this… Like as if it was keeping their attention away from him… away from noticing on what was about to happen soon. There at the other end of the room was the king and his queen, who was chained up next to him crying out for lust and pain. Darius walked across the room, moving around the bodies of the defiled deceased. He stood in front of the king and queen, disgusted at their deteriorated state. Rather than asking why such things were happening in the room, he instead yelled and shouted at the king, calling him a fool and a worthless weak worm. The king begged him to stop yelling at him, confused at Darius’s rage. Darius bent over him and stared straight into the mad man’s eyes, but froze once he got a better look at him. The king was no ordinary man, but the Emperor himself from reality. Darius looked at the queen also, seeing the double eagle symbol burned on her forehead. But rather than try to figure out why the Emperor was in this vision, an uncontrollable rage overwhelmed him. He pulled out his white blade and smote off the king and queen’s head, cursing at their foolishness and incompetence as rulers. Their death silenced the royalty in the room, staring in horror at what Darius had done. But he did not pause there.

Darius strode to the closest prince, blade held in hand. He grabbed the man’s golden hair, pulling him up to meet him at eye level. The broken man pleaded, bur Darius did not listen. He took his blade and smote him on the neck, with his body hitting the cold floor. Darius stared at the head, finding it to look exactly like Sanguinius. But the realization did not faze him from his purge. He moved to the next duke, a white haired man sodomizing a corpse of a dead woman. With a flash of light, the man laid dead on the ground, his heart pierced and groin removed. He went onto the next prince, a chained up man, barking and screaming like a dog. Darius brought a swift end to that miserable person. Again and again the royalty met his blade, and again and again he found that the royalty he smote looked exactly like his brothers in life. He continued one for a while, but found that there were too many of them to finish it off alone. Without any thought, he cried for aid, summoning additional butchers to this slaughter. The doors burst open with soldiers charging in, taking part in cleaning out the corrupted royalty. Screams of death and pain from the depraved aristocracy rang in the room until they were no more. Darius and his troops left the room, celebrating the cleansing of the corrupted king.

He walked out to the main doors, he soldiers standing by him. Through the gate, Darius stared over thousands upon thousands of people and troops, celebrating him with cleaning out the corrupted government. Without any thinking or control, he preached and spoke about a new era among this people, a golden and prosperous era. He talked about uniting this world under one glorious banner of his rule. The people supported and lauded his words, yelling and chanting that he is the new king. Everyone but one man was in joy. Darius saw to his right hand a young man, the young man of the prior vision, not too pleased about this speech.

Darius woke up, his mind murky and hazy from his nap. He looked around the room and found that he was alone in the great hall. He sighed and realized that he had another disturbing vision. But this one, compared to the others, was different. He felt that he was taking in part of the dream, not watching it. The actions and events he recalled were blurry and murky, but he knew that he was not idle in the vision. He needed to talk to someone about these visions…

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.