Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I've come to the conclusion that I play a hard army with some very easily made choices and now I own most of those I find myself going back to the codex and considering the options initial discarded.

Rough Riders

+ 55pts for 5 is cheap
+ Cavalry means they have a large threat range
+ First time they charge they get S 5 I 5 Power weapons (Ouch)
+ up to 5 more for cheap.
+ up to two meltas, melta-bombs for sarge
+ cheap Fast Attack choice (for those tournies where you have to fill all choices)

- Models available are garbage and/or expensive
- Large models makes them hard to hide
- Only one use of powerweapons
- the first time you charge so no saving it
- Can't attack on upper floors
- Only T3

I honestly can't believe I overlooked these guys the countercharge potential is impressive.

Hellhound and family

All Varients

+ Fast chimera chasis
+ Extra options on hull mount
+ Can be squadroned
+ Lower profile for cover claiming

- Costs as much as the more used Valkyrie/Vendetta
- No Transport capacity
- Searchlight and smoke launchers cost extra

Hellhound

+ Str 6 flamer that can be placed up to 12" away from vehicle
+ Str 6 gives it a chance against transports (which don't get cover)

- Flamer is only ap 4 meaning not great against MEQ

Devil Dog

+ Melta blast makes up for poor BS
+ Even partial hits give a chance against all targets (str 4 + 2d6) at 12"

- 12" is awful close
- Risk of scatter back destruction

Banewolf

+ AP 3 wounding on a 2+ whats not to like
+ as cannon is effectivly str 1 it counts as a defensive weapon meaning always firing everything when moving 12"

- the template comes directly from the gun meaning you have to be really close

I think that they are actually a lot more viable than most people seem to think and yes the valkyrie/vendetta are the new shiny but I think the Hellhound family shouldn't be counted out.

Ratlings

Pros
+ Cheap cheap cheap 30pts minimum 100pts gets you 10 of them
+ BS 4 better BS than SM scouts and cheaper
+ Stealth as standard 3+ cover save in most situations
+ Infiltrate allowing excellent battlefield deployment options
+ sniper rifles 4+ to wound anything and rend on a 6 with pinning

Cons
- models are not everyones cup of tea - hobbits in 40k
- Ld 6 is not not good
- T 2 means they are getting wounded by almost everything on a 2+
- Sniper are Heavy 1 meaning no move and shoot

Personally I use ratlings ever so often (usually in units of 5) and they are never a game breaking unit but they are a great distraction and can threaten almost anything.

Ogryn

+ T5 and 3 wounds in a guard army is not to be sneezed at
+ S5 and furious charge with 3 Attacks is pretty nice
+ S5 assault 3 guns especially fired from a chimera aint bad

- 130 pts for 3 and 40pts each ouch terminator cost
- the monetary cost is also obscene
- Stubborn good stubborn with LD 7 not so hot
- no options for upgrades (so no power weapons)
- vs most dreadnaughts your stuffed

My plan for next game is 5 in a chimera (w/heavy flamer) 260pts! and run it something squishy.

Stormtroopers

+ Carapace armour as standard
+ pistol and cc and rifle as standard
+ Krak grenades as standard
+ BS 4
+ Ability to take 2 special weapons
+ Deepstrike
+ Special ability (choosable at deployment for maximum versatility)
+ AP 3 Lasgun and pistol

- Points expensive (marines cost around the same)
- T3
- CC equipment but no bump in WS
- Elite so not a scoring unit
- Hot shot lasgun is still str 3

I think the biggest problem is the pts cost a full unit of these without special weapons is 165pts and as a guard player you like cheap effective units. Here's my take on them 5 man squad with 2 meltas at 105pts as a drop pod dread analogue isn't half bad, rerolling scatter for deepstrikes allows you to take chances in drop zone (thread that needle!), 2 meltas makes the chance of getting a hit better than that of a MM armed dread and all for less points.

Conclusion

Are these units the best in the codex - no; are they cost effective - sometimes; do they have potential - maybe; Will they suprise your opponent - Yes.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
I have all of these Units, 3/4 of which just aren't taken in any of my competitive lists..but in Campaigns/Apoc they're great fun.

In my area anyway the reason those 3/4 don't see competitive play is not only that they are either -
- too expensive points-wise/don't cause enough bloodshed (Ogryns)
- too niche/too expensive points-wise/non-scoring & outclassed (ST's)
- don't fit the theme (Ratlings/RR's in a Mech list)
but that there are more versatile, effective and often cheaper Unit options that can perform similar roles, and these options compete for the same FOC slots as well (in most cases).

That said, I agree with your analysis of the Fast Tanks, and they're good, so I think you're wrong to add the Fast Tank varients in this list, and also Ratlings (to a lesser extent).

I use the HH and BW in many lists and see them in tons of others, and depending on the enemy they work fine - the HH at anti-hoard and the BW anti-MEQ, plus give them a Hull MM and they have some nice abilities.

If you want Sniper Rifles in a list Ratlings are the ones to take, and far better to take these guys than waste a Vet Squad's SW slots, which should be solely for Melta/Plasma...not that I rate Sniper Rifles that much regardless.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
1 person i know took the Rohan Rioders and converted them up to make Rough Rider. Alot cheaper.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Some good points there, although I use a Hellhound or variant in most of my lists as well as Stormtroopers as the Karskrin models are freakin' sweet...

I have used Rough Riders before and they almost always impress if you can get the charge off against the correct unit (i.e. expensive, well armoured units) but the models are supergash; must convert to outrider bikers.

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
1 person i know took the Rohan Rioders and converted them up to make Rough Rider. Alot cheaper.
would look weird though, since there true 28mm and GW is heroic 28mm (so anywhere from 30-40mm)

I would use rough riders, if there were models for them, although easy to do I can't be arsed to convert some blokes on horse to cavalry, and blokes on bikes as cavalry is just stupid cus it would never work.

Hellhounds and devildogs I do use, don't see why anyone would avoid them, guess its all down to this pathetic "anti mech/MEQ" bollocks

ratlings I would use if the old models were still easy to get, the new models are shit.

Ogryns I would use if the models weren't shit.

Storm troopers I'll use if they ever get those plastic ones released, or if I could afford the classic ones, since the current metal ones are pigs to get in there bases, I almost ripped my index finger in half last time.

·
Craw-Daddy
4,472 Posts
would look weird though, since there true 28mm and GW is heroic 28mm (so anywhere from 30-40mm)

I would use rough riders, if there were models for them, although easy to do I can't be arsed to convert some blokes on horse to cavalry, and blokes on bikes as cavalry is just stupid cus it would never work.

Hellhounds and devildogs I do use, don't see why anyone would avoid them, guess its all down to this pathetic "anti mech/MEQ" bollocks

ratlings I would use if the old models were still easy to get, the new models are shit.

Ogryns I would use if the models weren't shit.

Storm troopers I'll use if they ever get those plastic ones released, or if I could afford the classic ones, since the current metal ones are pigs to get in there bases, I almost ripped my index finger in half last time.
I think there are for the old "hun' looking ones. What I basically did was use use the torso of other models and glue them to the legs. I didn't have to cut mine as I used the old heavy weapons models in which they were sitting on their guns. I think they probably still sell the... scratch that... just looked. Thats why I stopped playing the game. They got rid of all the old cool shit. Best bet would to buy stuff on ebay. Plenty of old warhammer stuff. And cheap.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts