Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided to take a break from converting my Lnadraider, and have decided that instead of starting the new Tau army I wanted to do, I will paint the IG army that has been sat in a box for 3 years.

Here is the first model, just to get the colour's that I want to use. I need to do some squad markings, although they will not be Cadians, so I have to think of another symbol.

This is the first time I have used the snow flock.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
nice simple colour scheme very crisp painting, well done.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Whats your opinion on the snow flock? A load of guys I know hate its pasty guts. You don't get much in the pot, and it doesnt seem that much like snow. On the other hand, yours looks very realistic. I'd be interested to hear if you've had any issues with it, and how you got it to look that good.

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great stuff!

Lovely and clean. What recipe do you use for your white?

The cloth is a basecoat of Fortress grey, then highlighting with 2 part fortress grey and 1 part skull white, the next level is 1 part fortress grey and 2 part skull white, and then final highlights are pure skull white.
The blue armour is Space wolf grey, builing up the highlights with 2 part Space wolf grey and 1 part skull white, and then final highlights 1 Space wolf grey and 2 part skull white.

Whats your opinion on the snow flock? A load of guys I know hate its pasty guts. You don't get much in the pot, and it doesnt seem that much like snow. On the other hand, yours looks very realistic. I'd be interested to hear if you've had any issues with it, and how you got it to look that good.

Snow flock is not good value. There is very little in the tub for the price. But I wanted to get something to work on now, so had to settle on GW for the moment. I found it pretty easy to use and wasnt aware that other people didnt like it.

To apply I used watered down border adhesive (used to put wallpaper borders up) mixed with the flock to make a watery gungy paste. I then just used a cocktail stick to paste it on the base. I did use space wolf grey on the base prior to applying the snow, to see if that would give a bluish tinge to the snow, but it didnt.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Looks nice, face is well done, and i love the white. The over all model is very clean and crisp.

Just wondering if you going to put some shading onto the models armour? it'll give the model a bit more deffination. You could also do some edge highlighting on the gun of skull white.

But it dosn't rearly need it, looks ace as it is!

·
Registered
82 Posts
My god, NOT THE SNOW TOOPS! They're the worst kind of toops...

Sorry I couldn't help it, I love the colors, and was considering doing a similar idea with my IG, we'll see where it ends up.

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree, Snow toops are the worst :grin:

The title has been annoying me since I posted it. I have managed to get the blue and grey completed on most of a 10 man unit now, so I expect I will have part of the army completed by the end of the week.

I dont want to put anymore highlight on the armour, I think the army would look too washed out. As for tanks, yes I have a Russ and 2 baslisks too paint, but will leave them till I have done the troop choices.

Thanks for the comments so far.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts