Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Really love the Death Korps rough riders models from FW but haven't seen players using RR in any of the lists on here. Just wondering whether any players have experience using rough riders? Would likely be using them in a 1500/2000 point army, and was thinking of using them to soften up/bolster the inital suicide assault form my CCS. Just wondering if this is a viable tactic :/

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Problem is that the rough riders are easily killed, have a hard time getting cover, and will be a priority target for most players.

Having said that, they are great fun to play with.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Problem is that the rough riders are easily killed, have a hard time getting cover, and will be a priority target for most players.
And also the models are expensive (even if you convert them) and no-one likes paying ~£10 for basically a Guardsman. Even one with a super power weapon.

·
Registered
144 Posts
For their points they're awesome, but most people here seem to concentrate on power lists, rather fun to play lists. RR can be both. Basic unit of 5 (including Sergeant) has 11 S5 I5 Power Weapon attacks on the charge, all for 55 points! Goodbye Terminators. Just keep them hidden because they are easily killed, remember than can move and assault really far.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So i've basically gotta work on some surprisingly large pieces of terrain (i play mostly at home) to give the boys a fighting chance, that's do-able. The cost's a bit of a bummer, but these guys have just gotta be worth the cash, even if they only stand on my desk.

Cheers guys

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Considering that it's only £15 more than the actual (shit) GW models, yes, yes they are.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Gary,

I am one of the few IG generals that use RR a lot.

The bang your getting for your buck is much more effective than what people actually think. For the price your getting Str 5 I 5 hits. And if you tool them correctly will fire on the same turn as they assualt.

Its the one hit wonder that they struggle with... BUT... it depends on what your playing against. I find even after they have hit... they are useful especially to hold up an opponent for a round or two in crucial turn 3 scenarios. (especially tau).

Its really how you use them to their effectiveness, a blind cavalry charge down the centre of the field will probably stop nothing, but a flank lurker, waiting for the ork onrush, or as cheap counter units to protect your artillery are not bad... they are not the best... but they are not bad.

The main issue is that for the FA slot as well... is you have some lovely flying stuff that the IG current meta game champions for its points vs payback part.

I say get 10 or so... give them a go, if anything it will bring your army some theme, some interest, and be a great show off on your desk.

Lexi.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts