Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So they have the rule that allows them to fire the turret along with any other weapon they can normally fire (plus defensive weapons) even if it is an ordnance weapon

So am right in assuming this means that I can move upto 6", fire the turret, one other weapon (hull mounted or sponson) and any defensive weapons?

And so would that mean it would be more worth to trade in the Heavy Bolter sponsons I am going to have on one of my 2 Russes, and stick a Storm Bolter or Heavy Stubber on both? (since I can't imagine not moving them at all, and would like to get the maximum firepower I can each turn)

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
You have the right ruling, yes.

Personally for my battle tanks I like to use the hull lascannon, or hull heavy flamer and leave it at that. The lascannon means you don't have to worry about wound allocation (see below) and means you can then start to go after tanks/MC's, etc.

The flamer I use to keep it cheap as possible and fire it only when needed.

Whilst you can fire storm bolters & stubbers the current wound allocation rules may leave you at a disadvantage when a marine player takes all the battlecannon wounds on his normal marines then takes his armour saves from the stubber/storm bolter on his meltaguns/power fists.

If you know you're only going after light infantry with it then go for it.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Bishop5 has it right and if it's about guard and bishop doesn't know it then it wasnt worth knowing anway.

My guard army is very much a gun line so i often use the heavy bolters however depending on who you are and your play stile this may change. But a Lascannon(HF if you need cheap) and a Stubber is a great way to go....always go with a stubbe rover a Storm bolter, +1 shot and an extra 12" range is more useful than an AP5 instead of 6 (both are more or less useless AP values any way.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Well im right at the end of 1500 points (my usual size) so I don't have too much breathing room :)

+rep to the both of you for the advice :) I've decided to go for Heavy Stubbers. So its -
Leman Russ Battle Tank
Lascannon (hull)
Heavy Stubber

Leman Russ Exterminator
Heavy Stubber

Which will take me right upto 1500 points!

·
Registered
924 Posts
I generally take plasma cannons for the side sponsons, a stubber or storm bolter, and a lascannon.
I see no reason to shave points when it comes to my ability to kill.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
Yes.
Important note though, the turret rule doesn't mean they can shoot their turret no matter what, they still can't shoot it if they're shaken, or if they moved Crusing speed.
It's not "0 allowed +1 = 1 allowed", it's "You are not allowed to shoot anything at all, so fuck you tank.".

·
4,491 Posts
If your running an Executioner, then give it Plasma Sponsons.
Use them to get 4 blasts on the move, or 5 blasts stationary.

Dont bother with any other upgrades with it.
The pintle-mounted weapons just allow the opponent to play wound allocation games, which you do NOT want.

Keep the hull mounted weapon as a Heavy Flamer. You dont want to be firing a Heavy Bolter for the same wound allocation reasons, and i find the points for a Lascannon better spent elsewhere. The extra shot is irrelevant if your dropping 5 AP2 blasts on them.
The flamer can be used for emergencies if there is a threatening unit close-by (eg genestealers), and you dont wish to risk scatter, and there is nothing thats worth dropping the blasts on.

·
Registered
834 Posts
While I realize some people love the Exterminator I say... Drop it!!! It's a horrible tank. You're trading the ability to drop s8 ap3 blasts for a few autocannon shots??? For the price of an exterminator you literally get two hydras! Except now you have the same ability to deliver 4 twin linked autocannos from 72" plus the abillity to deny cover saves to skimmers and bikes. Exterminator = worthless. Go for double hydras!

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Gotta disagree with Imperius.

point 1, they're ST 7 blasts, not st 8, but they're also AP2 not AP 3 (I'm assuming you are talking about the Executioner, based on the previous posts).
point 2. Exterminator can fire 4 TL autocannon shots on the move, along with one other weapon. Hydras can only fire one weapon (ie two autocannon shots or the heavy bolter) on the move. Sure, two Hydras have more shots sitting still. But see the next point which applies heavily to vehicles that sit still.
point 3. Surviveability. AV 14/13/10 vs 12/10/10. Which one do you think is going to live longer?

With all that said, I do indeed personally prefer the Executioner. It's pretty much my automatic choice for my second Heavy slot. Throwing out 4 plasma blasts on the move is great. But I frequently use an Exterminator as well as my third Heavy choice. Spend the points to add Pask and then it's 4 TL ST 8 shots and 9 (sponson heavy bolters) ST 6 shots at armor. So just saying that the Exterminator is not as bad or useless as he seems to think.

·
Registered
834 Posts
The main battle cannon is indeed s8 ap3. By going to an exterminator you are essentially down grading the main turret weapon on leman Russ. I believe there was some confusion there mondo.

As far as the exterminator, it's a weak leman Russ. The only advantage it has over 2 hydras is extra armor. The hydras can hang back in "tau range" and pick people apart. Plus there are now 2 targets for your opponents to deal with.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
The main battle cannon is indeed s8 ap3. By going to an exterminator you are essentially down grading the main turret weapon on leman Russ. I believe there was some confusion there mondo.

As far as the exterminator, it's a weak leman Russ. The only advantage it has over 2 hydras is extra armor. The hydras can hang back in "tau range" and pick people apart. Plus there are now 2 targets for your opponents to deal with.
I did say if you were talking about the Executioner....................... Depending on what you want, it's a toss-up between a regular Leman Russ MBT and an Exterminator. The Exterminator is better against light armor, the MBT better against most infantry. I hate the current blast rules that make last markers next to useless against vehicles.

Two separate Hydras are a little bit better than two in a squadron. Not much, but a little. i've tried Hydras, and for me, they just don't have the surviveability.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Two separate Hydras are a little bit better than two in a squadron. Not much, but a little. i've tried Hydras, and for me, they just don't have the surviveability
Everyone's different in their likes/dislikes, which is a good thing. I would always choose Hydras over the Exterminator, although it is my 4th ranked Russ, behind the Executioner, LRBT and Demo.

I don't worry that much about the difference in AV value because they both have AV10 on the rear so are both as suseptible to rear assaults, which is often how Russes get destroyed.

That said, the AV14 front is good against incoming fire but it's easy(ish) to find cover for AV12.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts