Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have aquick question, more to confirm what I think.

With IG docterines, if I take Grenadiers, can I also take Storm Troopers, giving me the option of having 6 Storm trooper choices?

Also while I think about it, I assume if I am taking docterines I would need to specify heavy weapon platoons to get heavy weapon support choices in my command squad?

Cheers

·
Banned
280 Posts
Yeah you can get 6 units via that. However Stormies are generally outdone by other units though in the fight for elite slots. You can however use =I= Stormies as allies and take them as troops and save the elite slots for Veterans, Assassins or what have you.

Also while I think about it, I assume if I am taking docterines I would need to specify heavy weapon platoons to get heavy weapon support choices in my command squad?
No, Heavy Weapon platoons is for just that, Heavy Weapon Platoons. Your HQ Platoon is a separate type of unit with separate options.

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers, that sort of confirms what I thought. I was going less for usefulness and more for the character of the the army. This will be a GT army so cant take allies.

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IG can not take =I= allies, as it is not in thier codex, but I think that you can take IG Allies in an =I= army as it is in the =I= codex. Did that make sense? Not the rule but the way I wrote it.

·
Registered
221 Posts
The rules for taking =I= in an IG army are in the =I= codex (not the IG one), and it is perfectly legal to do so. It doesn't matter where the rules are written, what matters is what they say. ;P

Although the GT tournament might not allow allies anyway, but they'll have said such beforehand I would've imagined so you can go check.

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The rules for taking =I= in an IG army are in the =I= codex (not the IG one), and it is perfectly legal to do so. It doesn't matter where the rules are written, what matters is what they say. ;P

Although the GT tournament might not allow allies anyway, but they'll have said such beforehand I would've imagined so you can go check.
Sorry I think I may not have been clear. I was specifically refering to UK GT's, which do not allow allies anymore. If its not in your codex you cant use it.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Sorry I think I may not have been clear. I was specifically refering to UK GT's, which do not allow allies anymore. If its not in your codex you cant use it.
Ah right yeah, that'd make sense.

Remember that you still have to pay a doctrine point for Stormtroopers as well as for Grenadiers. Stormtroopers count as a different type of troop from Grenadiers, so if you want to take them too you need to buy them back.

Although personally I'd take veterans over stormtroopers. If you really want a 4+ save on all your troopers you could even give them carapace armor - then they're practically stormtroopers in terms of stats, only now they can pick a heavy weapon and three special weapons. Mooch batter than only 2 special weapons IMO.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
just say it's an Inquisition army! nobody can tell the difference... i think anyway.

·
Registered
221 Posts
wasnt the IG codex written before the =][= ones? if so, that would be the reason that it isnt in the IG dex, but should be allowed i would think.
From the sounds of it, the rules of the GT tournie is 'if a unit's statline isn't written in your codex, you can't take it'. So no deathwatch, allies, white dwarf stuff, etc.

But I think that means no IG in an =I= army either TBH.

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Im already commited to just taking a pure IG force, so Im not really that bothered if I can or cant take =I= in my force.

Im certainly going to take a Vetran unit, and then probably 2 storm trooper squads and 3 grenadier units. This will give me a nice firebase, but that is probably best for another thread.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts