Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morbid as it may be, half of my next project involving Imperial Guard is an idea I laughed at when one of my friends said I should do it years ago; I'm going to make an entire Guard army of casualties, fatally wounded, desperate, and otherwise doomed Guardsmen. This is partially as a joke and partially a serious part of my larger IG project which I will work on later. And a chance to get some use out of the Army Painter gore paints I just got :p

For now, while I await the purchase and arrival of what will become enough bits to make a fair load of mixed-regiment Guard, I sit here brainstorming ideas on how to model all the Guardsmen as they are being ripped apart as a whole. With me being me, I want no repeats; every model will be completely uniquely modeled. What I'd like from you lot is to get some suggestions on how you'd like to see some Guardsmen killed, and if it's awesome or lolzy enough I'd love to implement it into my army!

Here's a few examples I've come up with:

1. Heavy weapons team with the gunner still firing but the loader slumped over the barrel or the ammo. Additionally, instead of sandbags? Guardsmen. Yeah. Piles of dead Guard bodies instead of sandbags :D

2. Company Commander laying on his back hiding under a dead body playing dead

3. "Halved" Guardsman (must have gotten hit by an artillery shell) split on two bases; ripped up pair of legs on one base, bloody torso (hollowed out with GS applied to make limp bloody clothing) on the other base.

4. Charging Guardsman with a hole through his neck from a sniper round with a massive GS blood splatter appropriately placed on either side

5. Commissar simultaneously executing a Guardsman and committing shooting himself in the head. Probably on a 60 mm base.

6. Guardsman on all fours coughing up a few pints of blood.

At any rate, I eagerly await the hilarious, twisted, and badass ways you all can come up with to see a Guardsman meet his death. Hit me!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sounds like a lot of fun, make a few up and post pics! I would say perhaps a guardsman aiming straight forward with his head completely blown off with a fountain of blood. like in gears of war when you snipe someone.

·
Registered
688 Posts
As a recent ex soldier this idea is disgusting...........LY COOL!!!

Sounds good man! Bring some visceral realism to the table, an army like the Guard takes horrendous casualties!

For the suicide what about some of the heavy weapon team arms? They are in a fairly good position ad would need less work.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
I would say for the "halved" guardsmen" I glue the legs to the side of the base and then a blood trail across the base as the guardsman drags himself instead of splitting it on two bases.

guardsman with a flame thrower that explodes covering him in flames.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Have a tank running over guardsmen.
Barbed wire on a tank, with guardsmen stuck in it.
A guardsman peaking out of a tank, slumped over the heavy stubber.
A Commissar dressed as the grim reaper.
A guardsman drinking poison.
A guardsman riddles with bullet holes.
A coffin on a base.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A melted plasma vet from gets hot.
Someone on another forum recommended acetone to accomplish a "head mulch" look, I think I'll try liberal application to see if I can melt half of a Guardsman :grin:

As a recent ex soldier this idea is disgusting...........LY COOL!!!

Sounds good man! Bring some visceral realism to the table, an army like the Guard takes horrendous casualties!

For the suicide what about some of the heavy weapon team arms? They are in a fairly good position ad would need less work.
I've honestly NEVER handled a heavy weapons team before, I previously just used other models like roots with Smartguns and such. :scratchhead: Any recommendations on which heavy weapons arms would work best? Or is there just a single "general" set of arms that attaches to all heavy weapons?

I would say for the "halved" guardsmen" I glue the legs to the side of the base and then a blood trail across the base as the guardsman drags himself instead of splitting it on two bases.

guardsman with a flame thrower that explodes covering him in flames.
I just thought the two-bases thing would be funnier, and I'd always stick the two bases in the same squad.

I like the flaming Guardsman idea, but do you have any ideas on how to do that? I'd rather not have to greenstuff all the flames.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
I like the flaming Guardsman idea, but do you have any ideas on how to do that? I'd rather not have to greenstuff all the flames.

Doing greenstuff flames is not hard but if you don't really don't want to you cut the top knot off some ork heads and glue them on and paint them as flames. Simple and easy to do plus most ork players don't use the head with the top knot they cut them off.

You could have a guy tap dancing on a land mind or taking a whiz on an electric fence.
The one guards man with several bullet holes in him flipping off the enemy.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Definitely an idea I'd like to see followed through.

Suggestions(some of which are a bit similar to already suggested unfortunately) :

Someone falling onto their own sword/knife? Also kind of similar but walking around impaled with sword.
Guardsman melting due to some corrosive substance
Guardsman about to turn into chaos spawn.
Guardsman infected with nurgle's rot or other.
Guardsman infested with tyranids doing the whole "Alien/parasite wasp" thing.
Guardsman that has drowned with his head in a small puddle. :p
Guardsman devoured by local flora or fauna.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hopefully somewhat different ones:

Guardsman sinking into quicksand/mud.(Or being dragged underground by something)
Guardsman being electrocuted by communication equipment or something? Guardsman struck by lighning!?
Guardsman being under psychic/sorcerous attack?
Guardsman that's been run over?
Guardsman trapped/crushed under rubble.
Haemophiliac bleeding out from papercut or haemophobiac fainting from it? You decide. :p
Guardsman puking guts out.
Guardsman "checking the barrel" of his gun Looney tunes style.
Guardsman running with scissors.
Guardsman choking on something?
Guardsman throwing the pin, not the grenade?
Guardsman dying from boredom (ok, maybe not).
Guardsman with a broken limb or two?
Guardsman dying of a heart attack?
Guardsman being dragged/held down with hooked chains...that hellraiser style "Chains of Torment" spell used by sorcerers in dawn of war.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Plenty of good ideas coming in, thanks so much guys!

I have started to make a list of the "deaths" for the Guardsmen, and have typed it into a document which I have uploaded on a sister thread to this over at Dakka. I'd upload it here but I'd rahter just have the one upload and point you guys to it so you can look at it, laugh, cry, rage, and then come up with more ideas!

I'll be updating the file regularly, and it can be found on this thread:

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/569584.page

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
One walking around holding his own arm

One using his own arm as a club

A hopping guardsman could be fun (maybe even mid hop

Was you thinking the one who had lost his legs could be holding himself up with one arm and still shooting with the other?

Think you need to watch Saving Private Ryan (beach scene) and Band of Brothers (all of it it's amazing) for inspiration :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts