Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to my first tournament after finishing painting my GK army. I didn't compete but instead hung around to understand how a game develops and to see types of play and strategies used. It was quite interesting TBH, and as always I was able to see older players try some dirty little tricks on the unprepared (or young). :shok:

Long story short I'm standing at a table with two armies, one IG and the other Space Wolves, 1750 each. Now the Wolves player had a bunch of infatry and wolves, Wolf Lords and what-not but nothing big. Th IG player was (as I could see it) obscene. He had 7 tanks, all anty infantry/vehicle and two Valkyries. His entire army was inside his tanks and no infantry was to be seen on the table.

Now I've seen Space Wolves and they pack a pretty hard punch, but against such mechanized army they had little chance. The game went something like:
Turn 1: IG goes first, obliterates three wolf packs (at least 12 models), only lords survive. Wolf player tries to get close.
Turn 2: IG player obliterates 2 devastator squads (or something he really was afraid of) calls in the two valkiries and pops everything they have on the rest of the SW army. SW run for cover.

At this point I was wondering does the SW has a chance of winning this? As it turned out he did, not at wining but at kicking his opponents ass with only two wolf lords. In the end there were only two valkyries left. The IG player was pretty much going straight to the top with no army able to stop him.

So after this long post, my big question is: How do you deal with such a heavy army? I know you can pack the same army and hope for the best, but in general, what strategy would you use to beat this guy? I know it'll depend on the army but every army should have a response for this, don't you think?
More over I think there should be a cheap way to deal with this threat, avoiding being out-bought by a richer opponent.

Thanks in advance for your patience and thoughts!

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
only way would be generic ways of killing tanks, take a hefty load of lascannons/melta/lance/thunder hammers/power fists/monsterous creatures

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
His entire army was inside his tanks and no infantry was to be seen on the table.
When your infantry at T3 5+ you need to put them where they can't get shot, either in cover or in transports. cover gets you a 4+ save while being in a transport stops all the shooting until they waste firepower destroying the tank and then you get a 4+ coversave from the wreck anyway.

More over I think there should be a cheap way to deal with this threat, avoiding being out-bought by a richer opponent.
If your opponent is in it to outbuy you I don't think he'll be playing guard lol! Any guard army is expensive, some obsenely so. The guard player has it bad as some of the better choices - hydras, griffons, medusae etc are FW models and cost an arm and a leg.

The list works by target saturation, all the enemies anti-infantry is wasted until the transports are popped and the anti-tank is overstretched, forcing the player to use target priority and make hard choices, and any time you force you opponent to choose between two things you increase the probability of them making a mistake. In 40k the player who makes the least mistakes usually wins

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I don't know about SW, but my CSM's answer to the tank heavy gaurd is to take a bunch of fast moving cheap melta guns squads. The reason being that any given squad can beat any given IG squad in CC, and the fact melta's are ten points means that even counting for 50% of my force being destroyed on appraoch I still have 2 melta's for every one tank he has. There are also a few additional advantages meltas have over say a laz cannon. Price: often long range anti tank armor/units cost to much to be practicall against a satuaration list. Assault: with meltas, you can pop the tank then wipe the unit its carrying netting two kills in one round.

Another good way to counter lots of tanks, atleast in a freindly game is to saturate the field in as much infantry level terrain as possible.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I agree with ItsPug. IG are fairly expensive both in model purchase price and points cost to put that on the table. I've faced similar setups and can only offer this.
1: Put your anti-infantry in cover ASAP.
2: Use whatever you have left such as Lords, Monstrous Creatures etc... to pop the transports and armour then it's open season on IG.

Remember target saturation is a problem that anyone can face however in this case even more so. Force this guy to make choices and sooner or later he'll make a poor one. That is when you can clean up nicely if your are prepared.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok so from what you guys have said already, one would have to pack some anti-tank punch always, and try to keep them safe as log as possible to try to make a difference. I reckon that some armies are capable of dealing with this kind of strategy better than others, but I think mobile tank-busters are best in order to save yourself from the carnage. What do you think?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts