Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

If you could make a Brand New Codex, which would you make?

4K views 63 replies 52 participants last post by  turel2 
#1 ·
Posted this elsewhere, but I don't think anyone saw it...

If you could have GW make a new codex- and that is either a subdivision of an existing one (a new chapter codex - or an Aspect Eldar codex), or a codex never before seen ... what would you want it to be? =D

I'll leave my own opinion for a later post, I want to hear what everyone else would love to see.

And if you could include Why, that would be great!

Peace and Pie
- Hammerman

#2 · (Edited)
I would make a second faction to the Tyranids.

Similar to Space marine factions codexes. This one would be called "Hive Fleet Leviathan" or something like that. The current nid dex would eventually be known as "the vanilla nids". Hive Fleet leviathan would excel at killing heavy-armor or something, and have different stats for certain models. Maybe Hive fleet leviathan are slightly better at ranged shooting, or specializes in nidzilla. Idunno. I know I would play the army.

Would anyone else go for this?

and I would include them because the tyranids are just kind of built for other factions. The fluff states all these different hive fleets floating around, all different from one another in some way. Don't you think it would make sense if these hive fleets had seperate codexes? It would also be a cheap way for GW to sell more tyranid models, just publish the book. they could make pyrovores broken or something and they would sell like wildfire. :D

#3 ·
Codex: Astartes - A codex for pre-heresy marine armies
Codex: The Lost and the Damned - A codex for mortal chaos-worshippers.
Codex: Chaos Legions - Not a codex in itself, but a supplement for the current chaos codex that allows the owner to field a legion with more of it's fluffy traits, at a cost of course.

#4 ·
Well, my initial thought is to say a codex of the Chapter I'm creating. But, not quite there yet. I would like to see the Space Marine codex divided up. Something like Codex Imperial and Crimson Fists. Codex Ultramarines and so on. Is like more detail and fluff built up for those smaller chapters than what's out there.

#5 ·
I would create a Ctan Dex necron codex expansion. It wouldn't make the current book irrelevent as this is just an expansion. Basically a re-run of 3rd Ed necrons with more fluff from the Ctans point of view and the overlords who are loyal to the surviving Ctan. It would be a great way to fix any holes created by the new lore and a brialliant way to bring those players back who felt alienated or shunned by the new book while keeping newer players happy as they can simply stick with the main book.

Either way thats my idea

#6 ·
I think there's enough good ideas in the 40K universe for GW to double the number of codices, at least, so deciding upon just one codex that I would add is a bit difficult.

In the end it comes down to a choice between two options.

Firstly, I would love to see GW take some of the ideas from the Imperial Armour books and the Eye of Terror Lost and the Damned list, and produce a "Traitor Guard" codex. Adding mutants, cultists, and possibly daemons around the core of the existing IG codex would be great.

Secondly, I'd like to see more Xenos races, to add to the diversity in the universe. Space-rat-men would not be a bad idea at all... but they could still bring back the Dwarf archetype in some way

I think adding non power armoured warriors to the ranks of Chaos would get my choice.

#12 · (Edited)
Codex: Chaos, with renegade Guardsmen, traitor Astartes, Daemons; in short, all worshippers/creations of Chaos, alongside Codex: Astartes containin all Chapters bar the Space Wolves and the Black Templars (the most radically different, in my eyes). Equally I would make Codex: Eldar in which would be Harlequins, Corsairs, Craftworld, Dark and Exodite Eldar, and finally I would do Codex: Inquisiton, containing Ordos Malleus, Hereticus and Xenos. This would cut down the number of books, and allow people more choice in what army they played.

Midnight

EDIT: Also Codex: Imperial Forces, containing Imperial Guard, Arbites and Mechanicus

#17 · (Edited)
Well 40k needs more xeno codexes. But I’m at a lose for a good theme or idea. I like cats…so maybe a feline themed fast cc army. But seriously…

What I really think would be cool is a proper human non chaos separatists codex. From a fluff perceptive the imperium is falling apart just as much from the inside as it is from the outside, but the game doesn’t officially have anything to represent this aside from “traitor guard.”

Imaging this being a very loose coalition of free worlds united only in their desire to be free of the imperium. They no longer have to live in fear of technology and are allowed to develop some really useful stuff, they also are no longer banned from trade and communication with xeno races so they can get some really powerful weapons that way also. But on the flip side they don’t have the resources that normal guard have, so no huge tank, apc, pyker, or artillery regiments, and they don’t have the numbers they use to so human live is far more important.

On the table top, this would translate to an army very dependent on guerilla tactics. A lot of fast high initiative units with, scout, infiltrate, and hit & run. Make it more troop based than mech based(poor resources), maybe with some type of assault Lascannon(better tech). And to top it all off some type of ambush deployment special rule… “on a piece of paper write down the location(not within 18 inches of the enemy) where you would like to deploy your unit, until you move/shoot/assault with that unit or until the enemy moves within 6 inches of that unit they remain hidden. One the turn they are revealed that unit has furious charge, stealth, and maybe relentless(for rapid fire -> assault shenanigans.)”

#24 ·
What I really think would be cool is a proper human non chaos separatists codex....On the table top, this would translate to an army very dependent on guerilla tactics. A lot of fast high initiative units with, scout, infiltrate, and hit & run. Make it more troop based than mech based(poor resources), maybe with some type of assault Lascannon(better tech)...
I like this army idea from a background perspective. I think what you describe on the tabletop sounds a lot like a Tau army, though.

This might be a problem for any new army - while there's a niche in the background, is there a unique combination of gameplay attributes?

#18 ·
One idea I had a while ago when reading some theories on the 2nd and 11th legions (specifically an idea that they left the imperium, explaining why they were struck from the record) I thought of the idea that they had travelled to another galaxy where the nids were sleeping with their full legion and chapter serfs and acidentally woken them up. Alerting them that significant intelligent life had developed elsewhere. They tried to hold off the nids but were simply overwhelmed and now the tattered remains of the fleet are at last returning. While they hate what the imperium has become they do not want to see mankinds extiction and so form a mixed force of space marines and the imperial guard decended from their original chapter serfs.

#26 ·
One idea I had a while ago when reading some theories on the 2nd and 11th legions (specifically an idea that they left the imperium, explaining why they were struck from the record) I thought of the idea that they had travelled to another galaxy where the nids were sleeping with their full legion and chapter serfs and acidentally woken them up. Alerting them that significant intelligent life had developed elsewhere. They tried to hold off the nids but were simply overwhelmed and now the tattered remains of the fleet are at last returning. While they hate what the imperium has become they do not want to see mankinds extiction and so form a mixed force of space marines and the imperial guard decended from their original chapter serfs.
I thought the emperor destroyed them? I found a quote in The First Heretic, where Magnus called them 'the forgotten and the purged.' IIRC, it also hints somewhere that the survivors were incorporated into the Ultramarines, which explains why they were so large.

#19 ·
If the squats came back I would expect them to take advantage of their mining background. They might get some terraform options for before the game, or be able to dig down and create or reinforce their defenses. They also should have some good anti-vehicle weapons. You can also make custom vehicles for them. You could also give them some beasts or monsterous creatures that they use to help move equipment.

#20 ·
I wouldn't want to make a new codex. The majority of the 40k community would just harp on it being "fan wank" and OP. :laugh:

A few ideas I wouldn't mind seeing for regular play don't need a full on codex, but go with just supplement books for existing codices, like the Tyrants Legion of Forge World.

Eldar Corsairs: Combo book between Eldar and Dark Eldar.
30K Great Crusade: Modified Tyrants Legion.
Ad Mech: Blending between IG, SM, and Necron.

Just some ideas.

#22 ·
Eldar Corsairs: Combo book between Eldar and Dark Eldar. -Already exists. It calls itself Imperial Armour 11 and they are great fun to use!
30K Great Crusade: Modified Tyrants Legion. -Could be interesting but not much to split it from Space Marines of many varieties.
Ad Mech: Blending between IG, SM, and Necron. -Now this is what I wanna see!

Just some ideas.
My views in shiny Magenta. Also put me on the +1 bandwagon for a Adeptus Mechanicus list. Those guys are awesome!

#21 ·
Codex: Genestealer Cult... I loved their take on them in the 40k Journals... fun codex that really wasn't that powerful at all (in fact it said to expect to lose! LOL)... It honestly wouldn't take that many new models or kits (as they steal Imperium stuff as it is), so the cost to support it would be low and it would add some great flavor to the universe, imo.

#29 ·
Codex: Matt Ward.
It contains just one unit - Matt Ward

cost - free
WS 10 BS 10 S 10 T 10 W 10 I 10 A 10* Ld 10** Sv ?***

*Ward gains a number of attacks equal to the sales of GWS that year in addition to his base 10 attacks
**Matt Ward never takes leadership, pinning or morale checks as he is unquestionable
***Ward has a 1++ Wardsave against all and any attacks

Wargear - fanboy mind: Ward is a psyker that causes all enemy units on the board to suffer a Ld check at Ld1. Any unit that fails is removed from play as it cannot grasp Ward's pure awesomeness.
The Mangler - this is Ward's personal fluff-fantasy book that counts as a power fist that strikes at normal initiative in combat due to its weight and retcon power.
Wardpistol - this is a S10 AP1 Assault 100 weapon with unlimited range that fires his awesome ideas into the minds of his enemies, liquifying their brains

Special rules:
Matt Ward - As Matt Ward is Matt Ward and therefore no one can contest his awesomeness or godliness, and army with Matt Ward on the battlefield wins the game automatically on a D6 roll of 1+

#31 ·
I also think a Mechanicus book would be nice (heck, make it a double feature so you could build the Dark Mechanicus, or heritical Tech Cults out of the book too and I'd definitely buy it!) but I'd also like to see more non-Imperium things. Mostly another Xeno species, one that doesn't use skimmers, or perhaps is a winged species so their core troops are jump infantry?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.