Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Using 4 squads of plague marines,typhus,forgefeind and a hellbrute at the moment need some help making a better army it just doesnt do the trick
What are your marines kitted out with? I usually run 2 squads of plague marines, 1 with 2 plas and combi plas, other with meltas (in 1k-1.5k games). If you're running Typhus you'll need cultists to use as zombies, 20+ should be enough, 35 being max. Put Typhus in this blob of zombies and march him up the field. Get a second HQ. A lord to go with your PM's and make him your warlord so you can get a trait other than Typhus' shitty Lord of Terror. Get a helldrake or 2 for your fast attack, and also some Obliterators and havocs. That'll get you started.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Ok a bit more detail might be needed for good advice. Things like do you only play against a particular army / gaming group / powergamers or whatever.

HOWEVER
Typhus: if included does want those nice zombies with him, otherwise he is actually not great for the huge amount of points he costs.

Maulerfiends: Great for the points IMOO, they cost more than helbrutes, but for those extra points they can move down the battlefield fast enough to engage in combat in 1-2 turns normally and start eating everything alive with AV12 for combat and armourbane for eating other vehicles.

Forgefiends: Normally overcost for how vulnerable they are to a single shot death. Unlike with the Maulerfiend who is just as easy to kill at range, you can hope the mauler will get into melee quick enough to become unstoppable.

Plaguemarines: As said above you need to probably start looking at throwing in meltas / plasmas / flamers depending on opponents and what you have trouble with.

Rhinos: Nice troop delivery systems. They have really bad AV but in general can protect your unit from a hail of shots early on, or at least mean they have to waste a autocannon / missile launcher / lascannon or something on killing a transport before heavy bolters or whatever can start on your normal guys.

Chaos Spawn: Great unit, they don't cost a huge amount and as beasts they can move down the battle field at speed. 3 wounds and T6 also means the likely chance a squad of 3-5 with a nice Chaos Lord of Nurgle on a bike with them can do massive amounts of damage to your enemy quickly. Only prob is that they don't have saves.

Chaos Bikers: Kinda the same as spawn with the T6 if you make them Nurgle. 12" movement and hammer of wrath and all that. 3+ saves. In generally I prefer these to raptors, though they are costing 6pts more each with the mark.

Raptors: Nice solid unit for getting in fast getting into combat, though like the bikers and spawn they also aren't scoring units, so can be a draw back.

Heldrakes: Great for roasting marines, though not a great model IMOO.

Vindicators: Great at roasting marines and instant killing multiwound units / chars.

Predators: Multi purpose good AV tank. A lot of people seem to prefer Havocs as they are a bit more flexable and of course need multiple shots to kill, though the shoots they need don't need to be as strong.

Chosen: Cheaper than Plague Marines by a bit, but they lose Feel no pain / Fearless / Plague Knife / Blight Grenades. However they do get an extra attack on there profile.

Chaos Space Marines: Again with the Mark of Nurgle the are a lot cheaper than plague marines. Can be good to just bulk up the army a bit if you are finding you don't have enough models on the board because you are spending to many points per model.

Cultists: Fantastic unit as they cost such a small amount of points that they can just be thrown away of used to guard objectives or be a skirmish screen for your more expensive units.

Mutilators / Possessed: Mostly said to be useless wastes of points compared to other units.

Obliterators: Good unit, great saving throws, couple of wounds each, good invuln save as well.

Terminators: Little expensive per model but with 2+ saves 5++ invuln they are hard to kill especially when you give them T5 from the Mark of Nurgle, though personal preference has always made me go Tzeentch as 4++ is better than T5 imoo as most AP2 weapons are going to be s7+ anyway and is cheeper to buy. The power weapons make them able to take out what you want them to, if you know you are fighting people with 4+ saves you can go for the power mauls, 3+ stick with swords or lightning claws and 2+ go for axes or fists depending on how many points you want to spend. Arm them up with combi meltas / plasma / flamer rather than the normal combi bolter and it gives them a nice punch before they charge in to combat and do the real damage.

I think that is enough of a breakdown.

·
Registered
358 Posts
i run 3x plague units or 7 with 2 plasma and a combie plasma champ, and 3 units of havocs MoN 2units 4 auto cannons 1 unit with 4 lascannon and a lord in a 5 man bike units with 2 melta and a lighting claw behind a nice aegis def line with a quad and i can say i been useing for a while and it has yet to lose vs armys from all codex

1 - 5 of 5 Posts