Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
4,181 Posts
Being able to deep strike melta guns on turn 1 without needing to roll is a bit overpowered... which is the reason why any drop pod army takes a Dread with Melta and Sternguard, and most Marine armies take a Drop-Melta-Dread even if the rest of the army doesn't deep strike. A 50/50 chance of destroying that 250pt Land Raider with NO defences is very powerful.

Assaulting when Deep Striking would be even more OP. Bad idea.

Mostly they seem fine to me, I've won against them and lost against them too. Pretty average (although my Mech Eldar laughs in their face).

· Registered
4,181 Posts
Maybe that's more to do with either your local meta game or your unit selection than the codex as a whole? I know from personal experience that several people run armies that simply cannot deal with my Mechdar (Blood Angels without Storm Ravens, Daemons without 'Grinders, Vulkan with TH/SS termies in a LR Redeemer etc). This doesn't mean that the above armies are terrible, or that my army is OP, it's just that they don't match up well together.

I'm sure you must be able to deal with normal Mech (as opposed to Skimmer mech) because they only move 12" instead of a possible 24"... I've played with someone who took 3x Bolt Princes and 3 units of 3 Flamers and a couple of soaking units of lesser Daemons, and he did just fine against Mech. Grinders with the Railgun upgrade work wonders too. :)

It reminds me of the old MMORPG saying: "Dear Developer, Rock is OP and needs nerfing! Paper is fine. Regards, Scissors." :laugh:

· Registered
4,181 Posts
How does it make you auto-lose? I thought the entire point was to make both halves equally powerful (or almost) so that you didn't just plonk down 3 Grinders and 2 Special Character Greater Daemons anywhere you liked and automatically won? (And then put 4 minimum size units of troops on/near objectives)

It hardly makes a difference if you compose your army correctly in the first place.

· Registered
4,181 Posts
I disagree that splitting your army into two equal halves is a terrible idea. You just need to do two things:

- Compose a balanced army. This will let you have 2 balanced waves, or alternatively 1 wave that does one thing really well, and another wave that does something else really well. For example you could split your army into shooty and melee units, and regardless of which wave comes down you have a very effective shooting or melee force.

- Play on real tables and use a micron of common sense when deploying. Going on the average of 50% terrain coverage, your opponent would have to deploy his entire army clumped together in order to concentrate any kind of serious firepower on an entirely Deep Striking army, at which point you just Deep Strike behind cover and wait for the rest of your army to turn up, and then surround him. If he spreads his forces out then you can try to overwhelm his half army with your half army - to your net benefit, because you can reinforce your half very easily the following turn whereas (unless he's Mech Eldar) he will take longer to redeploy than you.

Daemons aren't the most powerful codex out there, but they're prefectly capable of dealing with most things in a casual game and winning.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.