Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All. I am obviously new here and have been building Warhammer 40k miniatures for several years now and have gotten more and more interested in the background stories and want to create my own fluff (based around a character who would essentially be me).

This is what I have (very basic outline).

The story would start during the Dark Age of Technology. My character is invincible from a serum taken when he was 25. (3nd Millenium, basically now).

I am thinking of my character being friends with the Emperor early on, growing up with him or something like that and due to his vast knowledge (and close relationship with the Emperor), the Emperor contracted my character to help on his Thunder Warrior Project. So with that, my character helped create the TW and even went so far to obtain several Units, and so helped him with the Reunification of Terra.
My character would then go on to help with the Primarch Project,
the Space Marine Legions, and participate in the Great Crusade. After all of the Primarchs were found, the Emperor would build a primarch from my character's genes (and would basically be his son) and in doing so, my character would be in command of a Space Marine Legion. When the Horus Heresy comes around, most of the Legion would respond to the attack on Terra, but only 10% of the fleet made it, due to the rest of the fleet being directed off course throught the warp and emerging at an area beyond the realm of the Astronomican. This would mean the majority my Legion would be lost until around M35, when they finally reach my character's home system (which was actually not far from where the fleet was lost). So anyways, in M41, my character would not want the Inquisition to intervene, so the Legion is actually spread through most of the Galaxy to disperse the numbers, and make them more myth than anything else OR they would be viewed as a great asset to the Imperium and would take part in many campaigns around the galaxy.

So that's kind of my idea. I am still working on the whole back story, but this is along the lines of what I am thinking.
Alternatively, I am working on a Chapter Version of the Legion, just in case this doesnt pan out. (My character would still be in this whole thing, but woud not have access to the Legions). If anything, the Chapter will be used as a cover for the SM Legion whenever the Inquisition pays a visit :grin:.

Concerning secrecy, the home system where my character and Legion is based is on the edge of the Astronomican, and the coordinates are not well known, plus my character himself does not like to share information with lesser minds.

But anyways, I wanted to post this to see if the general idea/concept seems too far fetched. I know the idea it self is a little far fetched, but I don't want it to be completely unplausible. I am doing this to give me a reason/inspiration to collect/build a Heresy/pre-Heresy Space Marine Legion Company
Ideas?

One more note, my chapter/legion are named the Silver Paladins (so dibs on that name :grin:).

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/ezgo394/Warhammer/20130726_141829.jpg
http://www.majhost.com/gallery/ezgo394/Warhammer/20130726_140833.jpg
(I tried taking a picture of my new commander but he fell apart when I picked him up)

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Not sure if this is the right forum. Seems more homebrewed appropriate, but if you're just checking facts...

The story would start during the Dark Age of Technology. My character is invincible from a serum taken when he was 25. (3nd Millenium, basically now).
The Dark Age of Tech didn't happen until way past M.3. Unless your story's "start" isn't when your character took the super serum?

, growing up with him or something like that and due to his vast knowledge (and close relationship with the Emperor)
Probably a good idea on how the Emperor met your character and how your character attained this vast knowledge he knows. Was he the head of some genetic experiments? Contact with Chaos? Extraterrestrial contact?

the Emperor would build a primarch from my character's genes
I'm not sure if the Emperor could make ANOTHER Primarch at a later date. Unless he made a second bargin with the Chaos gods? After all, if it was that easy, why not make more Primarchs after the first bunch were whisked away?

so the Legion is actually spread through most of the Galaxy to disperse the numbers, and make them more myth than anything else OR they would be viewed as a great asset to the Imperium and would take part in many campaigns around the galaxy.
They'd have to be a tiny Legion (under 10k) AND spread out across the entire Imperium if you want them to be under a single "Chapter".

The other alternative would be for your Legion to be split into thousand strong Chapters like the other Legions. Don't forget they'd have to surrender their largest and most powerful vessels to the Imperial Navy. And most, if not all, dedicated anti-ship vessels.

An interesting facet would be how your Legion worked with the previous Legions. Did they have good relationships with the White Scars? Ruffled the feathers of the Imperial Fists? Perhaps were trusted allies of the Luna Wolves and are now held suspect by every other Chapter?

It'd be interesting to see how the descendents of the old Legions interact with your Legion.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply. Yes, I did realize I posted in the wrong forum right after I submitted it. If a mod would like to move it to the appropriate forum that would be great.

As for the points you raised:

The Dark Age of Tech didn't happen until way past M.3. Unless your story's "start" isn't when your character took the super serum?

I should have worded it better. My character is born in M.3, but for all purposes of story telling the story begins in/after the Dark Age of Technology. My character will have been alive for 12,000 years before that.

Probably a good idea on how the Emperor met your character and how your character attained this vast knowledge he knows. Was he the head of some genetic experiments? Contact with Chaos? Extraterrestrial contact?
At that time, my character would have been living on Terra. Since he has been alive for all these years he knows a lot of different topics. For this, I would say that he helped with the evolution of the Power Armor (because he loves mechanical stuff) and yes he would know enough about genetic modification to be a big enough help to the TW and SM projects. I could even go as far as saying that he helped with the creation of some of the STC war machine designs, thus making him even more valuable.

I'm not sure if the Emperor could make ANOTHER Primarch at a later date. Unless he made a second bargin with the Chaos gods? After all, if it was that easy, why not make more Primarchs after the first bunch were whisked away?
The Primarch for my character would be created after most of the Original Primarchs had been found. The Emperor could create the Primarch as a thanks to my character for his help throughout out the Crusade, or something like that.

They'd have to be a tiny Legion (under 10k) AND spread out across the entire Imperium if you want them to be under a single "Chapter".

The other alternative would be for your Legion to be split into thousand strong Chapters like the other Legions. Don't forget they'd have to surrender their largest and most powerful vessels to the Imperial Navy. And most, if not all, dedicated anti-ship vessels.

An interesting facet would be how your Legion worked with the previous Legions. Did they have good relationships with the White Scars? Ruffled the feathers of the Imperial Fists? Perhaps were trusted allies of the Luna Wolves and are now held suspect by every other Chapter?

It'd be interesting to see how the descendents of the old Legions interact with your Legion.
Well, technically it would still be called a Legion, but under the guise of a Chapter. The strength will be somewhat small (I am working on a Legion Organization but I keep hitting snags on it) and I think it would be no larger than 30,000 at the MOST. Splitting them up into 'slightly larger than chapter sized' forces of around 3000 per force would give me 10 groups, meaning I could spread them through the Galaxy pretty easily.

As for splitting the Legion, I hadn't thought of that, but I will use that as a last resort. I don't think the Legion would have to surrender any ships. IIRC there was a SM chapter that commandeered a battleship from the IN and kept it, despite constant requests to return it. While that is only a one ship example, maybe there could be some kind of record or exemption that would allow the Legion to keep all vessels.

I hadn't thought of how they could work with other Legions, but I do know I want to the Legion to be 'allied ' with the Blood Angels, Imperial Fists and the Dark Angels (those are my favorites). The Luna Wolves idea is interesting too and in doing so could make the Legion susceptible to distrust among some of the other Chapters, which would make for an interesting twist.

Thank you for your input!

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
At that time, my character would have been living on Terra. Since he has been alive for all these years he knows a lot of different topics.
Well, what I mean is that there has to be more than "he's been around a long time". After all, he could have been a janitor or garbage-man for 12000 years! That doesn't exactly lend itself to being knowledgeable about power armor or gene manipulation.

So he likes mechanical things. Cool. Where did he get the money/manpower to research these technologies? Was he part of a corporation? Government work? Did he have a private fortune that allowed him to do whatever he wanted?

Another facet I would explore is that, has your character ever left Terra? The DAoT lasted a long time. He could have traveled the galaxy a couple dozen times and still made it back in time for dinner.

The Emperor could create the Primarch as a thanks to my character for his help throughout out the Crusade, or something like that.
To our best reckoning, the Primarchs aren't simply genetic perfection (or as close to as the Emperor could get). They're tempered by the Warp. As in, the Emperor had to bargain with the Chaos gods for something to make the Primarchs the way they are.

Well, technically it would still be called a Legion, but under the guise of a Chapter.
You're not going to be able to split up 30,000 Space Marines under a single Chapter. It wouldn't work. The Black Templars are reckoned to have MAYBE 6000 marines, and they're spread across the entire galaxy, and they still raise some eyebrows. Only their fanatical support of the Imperium and their dispersed, fleet-based nature prevents any negative sanctions. Trying to rope 30,000 marines under a single Chapter will not work unless you want to change the fluff or have the marines operate outside Imperial contact (like playing outside the Eastern Fringe or something).

Keeping them together in 3,000 man units is asking for the Inquisition's attentions. Unless you scatter these 3,000 man units across an entire corner of the galaxy.

Also, I would look to explain why your Legion is so tiny. It's the second smallest, second only to the Thousand Sons.

I don't think the Legion would have to surrender any ships. IIRC there was a SM chapter that commandeered a battleship from the IN and kept it, despite constant requests to return it.
The Space Wolves have a Retribution class battleship. This pisses off the Imperial Navy and the Inquisition, but the Space Wolves are already on their bad sides.

Keeping a dedicated fleet of anti-naval warships AND being well-above the Codex size limits is asking to be attacked, in my opinion. It's simply too much power in the hands of too few. The High Lords of Terra would never stand for it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, what I mean is that there has to be more than "he's been around a long time". After all, he could have been a janitor or garbage-man for 12000 years! That doesn't exactly lend itself to being knowledgeable about power armor or gene manipulation.

So he likes mechanical things. Cool. Where did he get the money/manpower to research these technologies? Was he part of a corporation? Government work? Did he have a private fortune that allowed him to do whatever he wanted?

Another facet I would explore is that, has your character ever left Terra? The DAoT lasted a long time. He could have traveled the galaxy a couple dozen times and still made it back in time for dinner.
Well, my character has a love of machines, so in the past 12,000 years he would have been designing, building, and repairing machines. As time progressed, he would have been in charge of his own corporation, which specializes in transport, construction, etc. In time it would become large enough to give him a steady income to do all of these projects. He would have also been experimenting with body armors and war machines, thus making him an asset to the TW project.

The gene-splicing interest would just be a hobby, with the same idea/concept along what the Emperor does with the Thunder Warriors.

Yes, my character will travel and in doing so, will claim a system near the Halo stars (right at the edge of the present Astronomican) and in the Eastern fringe, and will travel back forth during the DAoT.

To our best reckoning, the Primarchs aren't simply genetic perfection (or as close to as the Emperor could get). They're tempered by the Warp. As in, the Emperor had to bargain with the Chaos gods for something to make the Primarchs the way they are.
Hmm.. Ok, so with that, I would have to say that the Emperor made an agreement with the Chaos Gods a second time? Ok (sorry for my noobiness) is that feasible and what does that entail?

You're not going to be able to split up 30,000 Space Marines under a single Chapter. It wouldn't work. The Black Templars are reckoned to have MAYBE 6000 marines, and they're spread across the entire galaxy, and they still raise some eyebrows. Only their fanatical support of the Imperium and their dispersed, fleet-based nature prevents any negative sanctions. Trying to rope 30,000 marines under a single Chapter will not work unless you want to change the fluff or have the marines operate outside Imperial contact (like playing outside the Eastern Fringe or something).

Keeping them together in 3,000 man units is asking for the Inquisition's attentions. Unless you scatter these 3,000 man units across an entire corner of the galaxy.

Also, I would look to explain why your Legion is so tiny. It's the second smallest, second only to the Thousand Sons.
Ok, so what if I combined two options and split the chapter into, let's say 15 new Chapters, and then split the rest of the 15,000 Legion into several fleets set up in different areas of the Galaxy. The Eastern Fringe idea would set me closer to the Tau system, so I like that idea.

I always thought that if a larger than Codex SM fleet was utterly loyal to the Imperium and gave 110% support and dedication, maybe that could be overlooked? Or maybe, and as crazy as this is, it could still be done, there could be a clerical error that could list the fleet as being 3000 strong (and being fleet based, it would be overlooked) rather than 30000.

I'm not entierly sure how to proceed with it.. I'm still new to the whole construct of the current Imperium and not sure how exactly the rules go.

I guess I could say that there was a clerical era that gave the Legion ability to have a large size but
there could be a large campaign that they took place in that took out half the force or something like that. I don't know...

The Legion is small because it does not need to be overly large, given that the position of the system is not immediatly threatened by any Xenos forces.

The Space Wolves have a Retribution class battleship. This pisses off the Imperial Navy and the Inquisition, but the Space Wolves are already on their bad sides.

Keeping a dedicated fleet of anti-naval warships AND being well-above the Codex size limits is asking to be attacked, in my opinion. It's simply too much power in the hands of too few. The High Lords of Terra would never stand for it.
Well, what if, rather than giving the fleet to the Imperial Navy, they are given to another division of the IN that is created and based in my character's system, thus allowing the Legion to use the fleet when needed, but not raise any eyebrows?

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
es, my character will travel and in doing so, will claim a system near the Halo stars (right at the edge of the present Astronomican) and in the Eastern fringe, and will travel back forth during the DAoT.
Wonderful! So what happened to this world during the Age of Strife? Was the population wiped out? Did civilization collapse (much like on Terra) and barbarians ran the show for while? Was it occupied by alien slavers until the Great Crusade managed to work its way back there? Did rogue psykers raze the surface? Or perhaps did they ride out the 5000 years of Darkness and came out stronger than before?

Ok (sorry for my noobiness) is that feasible and what does that entail?
Extremely unlikely...but it's deliberately unclear what the Emperor got out of the bargain and what the Emperor gave in exchange for whatever he got. There's enough wiggle room for a definite "maybe".

I always thought that if a larger than Codex SM fleet was utterly loyal to the Imperium and gave 110% support and dedication, maybe that could be overlooked?
No matter how loyal a Chapter may be NOW, does not mean it can not defect later on. No matter how pure the intentions of a Chapter Master may be NOW, does not take into account all possibilities. Look to the Astral Claws. Huron approached his stewardship of the Maelstrom with nothing more than the Imperium's wellbeing. It spiraled into a mess that Huron is now the leader of the largest Chaos warband outside of Abaddon's merry band of murderers.

That is why Chapters are supposed to be only 1000 marines strong. 1000 marines can lay waste to dozens of star systems just by themselves. When an entire Chapter turns traitor, whole sectors of the Imperium can be lost.

Can you imagine what would happen if 2000 marines switched to Chaos? 5000? 10,000? Your 30,000?

The risk for corruption is there. Look to Horus. He was the Emperor's favored son. He brought the whole house down on the party.

That's why Guilliman broke the Legions up. Even if a Chapter's hierarchy was to be infected by the insidious touch of Chaos or Xenos filth, theoretically, only a thousand marines would be pulled in. The chances of a second Horus Heresy is greatly reduced.

Yes, it impedes large scale activties, but ever since the 37th millennium, the Imperium has mostly been on the defensive. It works out well enough. The gains out weight the loses.

The Legion is small because it does not need to be overly large, given that the position of the system is not immediatly threatened by any Xenos forces.
Well, they were lost on the onset of the Horus Heresy, right? At that time, all the Legions were recruiting like mad to replace combat losses and swell their ranks for the Great Crusade.

Well, what if, rather than giving the fleet to the Imperial Navy, they are given to another division of the IN that is created and based in my character's system, thus allowing the Legion to use the fleet when needed, but not raise any eyebrows?
In the general scheme of things, it wouldn't fly.

A Chapter's homeworld is, as a general rule of thumb, ruled by the Chapter. Everything is, ultimately, governed by them. Some of them take a lighter hand in it (like the Space Wolves) who stay in their Fortress Monastery and allow the natives to live or kill each other as they please. Weeds out the weak and all.

Still, in a macro sense, everything is controlled by the Chapter. From the PDF (plantary defense force) or SDF (System Defense force, or local naval forces). Giving them over to the "local" navy is de facto giving it to the Chapter. Which is a no-no.

This goes back to the Horus Heresy. If you give Space Marines enough power to challenge the Imperial Navy in space, that means it's all that much easier for the Space Marines to carve out their own mini-empires.

This isn't to say that a Space Marine naval force isn't a potent force--because it is--but a full on naval taskforce should be able to win a battle...in space. This doesn't take into account special circumstances or tactics (for example, a space strike cruiser that launches boarding torpedoes full of Space Marines onto the deck of an Emperor-class battleship may very well win the battle), but on paper the Imperial Navy is there as a check for Space Marine ambition.

It's a series of checks and balances that makes sure that even if a portion of the Imperial force falls to Chaos or disloyalty, it can't go too far. One of the reasons why they broke the Imperial Army into the Imperial Guard and Imperial Navy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wonderful! So what happened to this world during the Age of Strife? Was the population wiped out? Did civilization collapse (much like on Terra) and barbarians ran the show for while? Was it occupied by alien slavers until the Great Crusade managed to work its way back there? Did rogue psykers raze the surface? Or perhaps did they ride out the 5000 years of Darkness and came out stronger than before?
Ok.. So during the Age of Strife, with the fall of Warp travel, my character would be trapped on Terra during a visit. (After doing some research (Lexicanum) I saw that there was a rise of Psykers.) In this case, in the System near the Halo Stars, with a rise of Psykers, there would have been a large war against them, and every last rogue Psyker would have been executed. Other than that, the system did/does have a decent amount of self sufficiency and would have ridden through the AoS with few problems. At the time of the Great Crusade, the system would be happy to join back with the Imperium. The Eastern Fringe system is a new idea, so I will have to think about that. I could say that it, instead, was attacked by Eldar and in some smaller cases, Orks, and the system suffered constant barrages until the system was brought back into the Imperium.

Extremely unlikely...but it's deliberately unclear what the Emperor got out of the bargain and what the Emperor gave in exchange for whatever he got. There's enough wiggle room for a definite "maybe".
I just had an idea... Instead of some one comparable to the Primarchs, my character could just request to use a Gene-Seed from one of the other SM Legions and ask to have a small force of Space Marines, to guard his home system and surrounding systems. Then with that Gene-Seed, he could request for a commander to be created. Now, this commander would not be as powerful as a Primarch, nor as large, but would still be better than the Space Marines he would be commanding, so in essence, a 'Baby' Primarch.

No matter how loyal a Chapter may be NOW, does not mean it can not defect later on. No matter how pure the intentions of a Chapter Master may be NOW, does not take into account all possibilities. Look to the Astral Claws. Huron approached his stewardship of the Maelstrom with nothing more than the Imperium's wellbeing. It spiraled into a mess that Huron is now the leader of the largest Chaos warband outside of Abaddon's merry band of murderers.

That is why Chapters are supposed to be only 1000 marines strong. 1000 marines can lay waste to dozens of star systems just by themselves. When an entire Chapter turns traitor, whole sectors of the Imperium can be lost.

Can you imagine what would happen if 2000 marines switched to Chaos? 5000? 10,000? Your 30,000?

The risk for corruption is there. Look to Horus. He was the Emperor's favored son. He brought the whole house down on the party.

That's why Guilliman broke the Legions up. Even if a Chapter's hierarchy was to be infected by the insidious touch of Chaos or Xenos filth, theoretically, only a thousand marines would be pulled in. The chances of a second Horus Heresy is greatly reduced.

Yes, it impedes large scale activties, but ever since the 37th millennium, the Imperium has mostly been on the defensive. It works out well enough. The gains out weight the loses.
After doing some more research on the Legion Organizations, I could settle with having a Chapter of Legionaires, which (with my organization) would give me 2000-3000 marines, which would be more than enough for all purposes of what I want to do with them. As said above, they would be built on the Gene-Seed of an existing Legion (maybe the Imperial Fists, or maybe even a to be Traitor legion).

In the general scheme of things, it wouldn't fly.

A Chapter's homeworld is, as a general rule of thumb, ruled by the Chapter. Everything is, ultimately, governed by them. Some of them take a lighter hand in it (like the Space Wolves) who stay in their Fortress Monastery and allow the natives to live or kill each other as they please. Weeds out the weak and all.

Still, in a macro sense, everything is controlled by the Chapter. From the PDF (plantary defense force) or SDF (System Defense force, or local naval forces). Giving them over to the "local" navy is de facto giving it to the Chapter. Which is a no-no.

This goes back to the Horus Heresy. If you give Space Marines enough power to challenge the Imperial Navy in space, that means it's all that much easier for the Space Marines to carve out their own mini-empires.

This isn't to say that a Space Marine naval force isn't a potent force--because it is--but a full on naval taskforce should be able to win a battle...in space. This doesn't take into account special circumstances or tactics (for example, a space strike cruiser that launches boarding torpedoes full of Space Marines onto the deck of an Emperor-class battleship may very well win the battle), but on paper the Imperial Navy is there as a check for Space Marine ambition.

It's a series of checks and balances that makes sure that even if a portion of the Imperial force falls to Chaos or disloyalty, it can't go too far. One of the reasons why they broke the Imperial Army into the Imperial Guard and Imperial Navy.
The Chapter/Legion considers the two systems in which they are based their home systems, but actually have their fortress monastery on a asteroid. The systems they protect are where they get their recruits from, but that's really it.

Alright. Now that I have changed things up, I think a large navy force doesn't really need to be there, aside from the mentioned PDF and SDF.

So to sum things up, my character is stuck on Terra during age of strife, helps Emperor on projects leading to Great Crusade and in return receives a Mini Space Marine Legion of 2000-3000 men, along with a 'half-primarch', and in M.41, the Legion is split between my character's Halo Star system and Eastern Fringe system, thus giving two task forces of 1000-1500 men, allowing me to merge old and new, take part in many campaigns around the galaxy, and not get raised eyebrows from the inquisition.

Somewhat reasonable now?

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
I don't mean to sound harsh but isn't it all a bit too much? This reads like a case of special snowflake syndrome.

You have a main character who's immortal, super smart, buddies with the emperor and had a hand in the creation of the Primarchs and the Space Marines. His 'home' system was essentially untouched by the Age of Strife- a unique occurrence. He had his own legion just given to him.

Doesn't that seem like too much?

Tone it down, what you have doesn't really fit with 40k.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Tone it down, what you have doesn't really fit with 40k.
He managed to work it down to something more reasonable. 3000 marines is an extremely potent force, but he won't be overthrowing a segmentum with it anymore.

Maybe instead of a super serum, his character could be a Perpetual? That'd give him the long-life ability and ties in with established lore.

The main issue, I think, is this "baby Primarch". You don't reverse engineer the geneseed into a Primarch...or even something like a Primarch. That doesn't work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will say this: Sure it seems like a bit much, but in the reality of the WH Universe, it would essentially be unknown by the population.

--- This is the current story ---
My character is perpetual (I like that word by the way), and has had the fortune to live throughout everything that happens on Terra until the DAoT, where he explores to find a new home system, finds a very isolated system (and a not so isolated system in the Eastern fringe.), manages to start anew and have a seemingly uneventful time until he is trapped on Terra at the start of the AoS, in which with his knowledge of power armor due to previous projects (and a hobby of gene-splicing), ends up helping the Emperor with his Thunder Warriors to reunite Terra, helping with the creation of the primarchs and by extension the Legions of Space Marines. Due to his vast knowledge and his possession of several lost STC (something else I wanted to add), the Emperor gives him control of my character's Two systems and a Space Marine force (of about 2000-3000) to protect said systems, and all around it. My character then leaves Terra and goes back to his system, where he then does what he has always done before. Lay low, design, explore, and go into battle with his Space marines.
---
The thing about all of that, is fluff wise, you will know all about it, but in the reality of the Imperium, only a select few would know about it. Another reason I am doing this, is because I am looking for a back story that can give me some reason to collect 30K miniature so that I can have my own legion (well, as said, mini-legion).

@hailene, yes I agree. From what it was before, I think it is much more reasonable.

I like the idea with a perpetual and to clarify, you mean that he was just born with the slow aging/non-aging characteristics, rather than requiring a serum?

Alright. That's something I don't mind dropping. Just an Idea I was thinking of.

Thank you for your help and replies!

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Perpetuals are a recent addition to the fluff, revealed in the ongoing Horus Heresy series by Black Library. We don't know what they are exactly but they appear to be seemingly normal humans who are immortal.

They may also be unkillable, coming back to life after each death. The Emperor may be one.

So in the 40k universe it would probably actually be more realistic for your character to be a Perpetual rather than taking some serum. Perpetuals are more consistent with the logic/setting of 40k.

My objections are less based on how the denizens of the 40k verse would perceive your character and chapter and more due to the idea itself. To me it seems over the top and bland.

It's one thing to have a Perpetual as your character. That's actually an interesting idea that could be great to explore. Think of the life he'd have lived, the things he's seen. However it's all a bit too perfect. He's not just an immortal scientific genius he's also friends with the most significant character of the setting, a being whose deeds are legendary and mythic. He get's his own unique chapter. Add he has STC's the holy grail of 40k technology.

It's all too unique and unprecedented. It seems too different from the established fluff. You're not just filling in a gap or exploring an area which hasn't been focused on much but changing core aspects of the setting and its history.

Why was he given a force of his own Space Marines? Why wasn't a legion, army or custodes attachment assigned to watch over his realm? Why was he even allowed to have one in the first place. Why would the emperor allow this unique, valuable and dangerous being to move around as he pleases? The Emperor's a cold ruthless bastard and your character seems like he could be a threat. I can't imagine the Emperor tolerating that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I like the perpetual idea too, so I'm sticking with that.

I agree the idea is over the top, that's what I do, but bland? I don't think so. I only have so much detail because I am trying to figure out the basic storyline and then I will fill in later.

I'm not trying to change the history very much at all. I am only inserting my character in some of these events so that he can be afforded these opportunities.

Like I said in an earlier post, I am doing this because I want to include the Legion Era vehicles, power armor etc. in my Space Marine Fleet. The reason I am going back to a First (and a half) Founding Chapter/Legion, is so that I can receive those vehicles and equipment and still have a good number in service in M.41. Most chapters after the Second Founding do not have relics like that.

As for why, well, I can't think of much, but given it's position near the edge of the Astronomican, it could have been given to provide a force to bolster that area, without having to take valuable assets from other Legions, or it could be a small detachment from another Legion that, after the Heresy, was split into it's own chapter.

I am open to other ideas and concepts, but I haven't thought/heard of any.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Stuff Want Heresy stuff
You can have him find a lost expedition force, I mean it's not really that far fetched, there was a lot of expeditions and the Imp's bureaucracy was still in the sappling stage, it is really easy to accidentally put 12-124-1234-6321 instead of 12-124-1234-6323 and that little mistake records the fleet as returning to Terra instead of needing help.

Like others said the emp is a cold and calculation bastard, I doubt he would give free reign AND a legion/ proto chapter to a powerful person.

As for how he gets a chapter someone that old has to be manipulative, he could of done X to become SM like then found geneseeds implanted them in some followers killed a SM chapter heading to it's new planet then took their place. After a little bit the the followers die he continues on as the Chapter Master of X and no one is alive that know what happened except him.

There is a SM in the home brew fluff that may give you some ideas to, homebrew (Grab some coffee and settle in),

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Them coming by Pre Heresy kit is not too hard, make them a second or third founding, lost store rooms, favour with the Mechanicum, they have a limited production facilities of it themselves, constantly on the look out for it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I like that idea, but I'm not all that into the manipulating and killing stuff (yeah, don't make fun of me for that).
I'm currently working on figuring that out and when I do I will post what I have.

I'm trying to use a small expeditionary fleet, clerical error, and either a warp storm or loss of contact with the Astronomican, as main points.

This is somewhat along the lines of what I have. I still have to put the clerical error in there somewhere, but this is where I'm at. 1st Draft.

----
The system was found during the Age of Strife, when a Mars Expedition was sent through the Warp. The System was filled with abundant resources and several Hive Worlds and the one of the moons of the Central Planet was turned into a Forge World.
In M.30, during the Great Crusade, a Detachment of 500 Marines from the Imperial Fists was sent to explore an isolated area in the Segmentum Pacificus, near the Halo Zone, that was rumored to contain a Forge World.
When their fleet went into the Warp, they followed the course until they hit a violent Warp current, throwing them off course and forcing them to exit the immaterium. They found themselves near a cluster of several inhabited systems, called the Concordia Belt or Span (depending on the area of the system) by the locals. The Marines were met with approval and the locals were eager to unite with the Imperium. The Lord of the Concordian Belt allowed the Marines to create an outpost on the Central Planet. The Space Marine Fleet attempted to make their way back to Sol, but due to the position of CS on the edge of the Astronomican, a reliable signal could not be obtained, thus forcing the Marines to stay.

The Marines, with no clear direction of where to go, decided to set up shop and created a Fortress Monastery on one of the Moons. Knowing that they would be there for a while, the Marines opted to induct new recruits and build their forces up. Eventually, the Marines stopped attempting to contact Terra and as the years went by, several changes took place.
The Gene-Seed of the Marines was modified slightly, but it wound up creating more problems than it solved. The two major problems was the loss of the Betcher's Gland along with Eidetic memory and inability to experience R.E.M. sleep.
In 512.M33, the System finally regained contact with the Imperium as it was stumbled upon by another Space Marine Fleet. Because the Marines never attempted to reinitiate contact, they never realized that a reliable signal had been found again. In that time, about 3500 years, the Force was roughly 2700 Strong, with 300 New initiates being trained. Their Armor and equipment was repainted into a silver grey, with gold trim, and their emblem was changed to an 8 point star with a 4 point star overlaid. .. .. . . ..
----

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
As horribly clichéd as it may be, why not use one of the two lost primarchs and say he wasn't lost to the warp? And that the Emperor didn't make this known because he figured the Chaos Gods would double their efforts to get this primarch away from the Emperor and in the process fuck shit up?

That way you've got a reasoning behind how he knows the Emperor, how he's lived for so long, and how he's got his own chapter.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
As horribly clichéd as it may be, why not use one of the two lost primarchs and say he wasn't lost to the warp?
Alsojames, my brother, when we lost those 2 Primarchs we swore that we would never speak of them again.

Do not sully the oath you took that day.
~~~~~~

In more seriousness, the worst path you could go down for a home-brew chapter would be descended from, or part of, one of the two lost Legions. The other is the cursed-founding. Those are all too common.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
In more seriousness, the worst path you could go down for a home-brew chapter would be descended from, or part of, one of the two lost Legions. The other is the cursed-founding. Those are all too common.
Would it be better to have a citizen of the Imperium who can live forever, knows the Emperor personally and has command of an Astartes legion?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts