Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a quick game with my new DakkaJet this afternoon against a friendly Space Wolves player in my local store and, knowing he had a lot of powerful models, decided to try a smaller points size army for a change. We had played a 1200 points size game in the morning, with him playing Tyranids with a young gamer and me with Orks and the lads slightly older brother. We both brought 600 points each to our respective armies and had a great game, however, I was interested by how many models I could bring to the table when I limited myself.

It made me wonder what is the optimal size army for Orks? By playing a lower points value game, you are limiting the amount of serious heavy cheese an opponent can bring to the table, yet an ork player can still bring a shed load of Boyz, the core of any army for us.
So for the afternoon match, when my friendly SW opponent asked me what size we should bring, I plumbed for 750 points. For that I got...

HQ
Warboss, PK, Eavy Armour, Lucky Stikk - 114pts
Painboy - 50pts

3xTroops
18x Boyz, Boss Nob & PK - 149pts
9x Boyz, Boss Nob & PK, Trukk - 125pts
9x Boyz, Boss Nob & PK - 95pts

Fast Attack
Dakkajet, 3x Supa Shoota, Flyboss - 145pts

Heavy
5x Lootas - 70pts

The Space Wolves brought...

1 dreadnought, 5x Terminators, Njall Stormcaller, 3x Long Fangs

That was it. :shok:
I asked him to check, if he was sure, and he was.

The last time I faced him with 1500 points, he had a land raider, multiple dreanoughts, wolfriders and all sorts of nasty hard hitting stuff and he practically tabled me, this time things were not quite so straight forward for him.
We played a planetfall match, which worked well for me, spreading my boyz all over the table and he deepstruck in all over. A lucky mishap sent his dreadnought to the warp on turn one, and I wiped out his squad of long fangs with massed slugga fire when they appeared.
My big mob of boyz managed to charge home on his terminators, put a wound on Njall, killed 2 terminators and then were hacked apart to a boy, not a single survivor. Turn 2, with a Waagh, my Dakka Jet coming in from reserves and laying down some serious dice, combined with a charge from my Warboss and his mob finished the Space Wolves off by the end of my turn. Tabled, plus victory on points for the Orks.

So, after all that, do smaller points values favour Orks, or do you have a different experience?

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
In my experience Orks really excel at games under 1000 points because we can bring a bunch of troops as well as lots of things to take out tanks and other things. At 1850 to 1500 orks have a harder time because other armies can pack a lot of stuff that orks have trouble dealing with.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Low points are absolutely Orks home turf, I used to play at a game shop that ran 250pt beginner games with 4 players (horrible I know) and I used to regularly place way higher than I should have simply because the lower the points the greater the orks low cost advantage becomes.

I think the balance is struck right around 1500pts

·
DA GOLDEN WAAAGH
1,285 Posts
I actually disagree with mornfangdakka and bukkythefly, in my experiences with orks being the 4th and 7th ed books; they seem to function best at around 1300-1500 points. My only real explaination for this is proably mainly due to my experience fighting lots of marines which with their combat squading (which wolves can't do) can possibly have lots of smaller squads to out manuver your little horde. But at the range of 1300-1500 they can have a decent horde with some tricks yet be facing foes who don't have the power to overwhelm then, which is what ive found with 1500-1850.

That's all i got

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.